• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IVr NA release thread (Battle Speed 6 is slowest!)

Dark Sages are assholes. That is all. I never had to retry a fight more than once throughout the entirety of the game until I reached the Lair of the Father and the
Lunar Core
but here the random encounters are sending me packing.

Protip - you can Stop Blue Dragons. I mean, seriously, what?

Thaedolus

Got this from Gamefly yesterday...it's been a while since I played it on my SNES.

Basically: holy shit Square did a good job. It's an awesome port/remake. I couldn't have asked for anything more, and I've already put like 6 hours into it. Simply awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
rhino4evr said:
just finished
CPU..think is hilarious that FuYoSoYouGoo tells you to kill the defense droid first, when it's the last thing you want to kill.
what an asshole.

:lol

I always love that shit. EVERYONE who ever encountered that for the first time is like "wait what the shit?"

Dude is truly a dick.

lawblob said:
But at the same time, this game is yet another reminder of why I love RPGs. Like I said before, I can't believe I have already sunk 30 hours into the game, and have loved almost every minute of it. There is just something about these cheesy grind-fests that I can't get enough of.

Yeah it's pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5/8.0.

Actually I was wrong, my 99% is in
Lunar Subterrene 4
. I've gone around the periphery of the damned map a billion times. This has to be a bug.

rhino4evr

Pureauthor said:
Dark Sages are assholes. That is all. I never had to retry a fight more than once throughout the entirety of the game until I reached the Lair of the Father and the
Lunar Core

Two tips on the Dark Sages.

#1. They are weak to Frog.
#2. If you have to face 3 at a time...run...unless you have the omnicast augment..then use cast reflect on all your party members..a hard fight becomes extremely easy.

Well I just finished the game...I have to say I commend the people that didnt use Augments. A few of them like Dual Cast, Phoenix, Omnicast, Counter, Draw. We're key abilities to finish this game without tearing your hair out.

Also..im kinda bummed that I didn't get to readjust my augments before fighting the final boss..i didn't even get to throw the knife!!!

2DMention

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Lunar Subterrene 4
. I've gone around the periphery of the damned map a billion times. This has to be a bug.

I've found a bunch of places like that too. It's frustrating.

rhino4evr

Dragona Akehi said:
Lunar Subterrene 4

thats wierd I had the same problem on the same level..eventually I just said fuck it.

PS - advice for getting through the last dungeon quickly..set your auto battle to Defend for all your characters EXCEPT Edge. Have him use Smoke in auto battle.

you will usually get hit once, but you will be blocking so it won't hurt too bad...then you'll run away.

I made it through almost the entire dungeon (took almost 3 hours) finally I said screw this. My levels were in the Mid 70s, had no problems defeating that cockroach.

Chris R

Any tips for the magnetic cavern? I think I remeber being able to equip Cecil with a bow before... can't equip any weapon on him now :lol Or should I just run from every fight and just go do the boss?

rhino4evr

rhfb said:
Any tips for the magnetic cavern? I think I remeber being able to equip Cecil with a bow before... can't equip any weapon on him now :lol Or should I just run from every fight and just go do the boss?

just have him defend the whole time, and have him cover the weaker allies. and use the "rods" as items. Yang should be just fine with the claws. I don't remember having any problems.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Lunar Subterrene 4

"Just a note, southwest of the Stardust Rod chest was a little part of the map I had a lot of
trouble mapping. It took me about 45 minutes to find this little 1% I was
missing, so if you end up at 99% too, just walk around southwest of the chest
and hopefully you'll find it there."

This is in Lunar Sub 4, so try it.

Amir0x said:
"Just a note, southwest of the Stardust Rod chest was a little part of the map I had a lot of
trouble mapping. It took me about 45 minutes to find this little 1% I was
missing, so if you end up at 99% too, just walk around southwest of the chest
and hopefully you'll find it there."

This is in Lunar Sub 4, so try it.

This was exactly it! Of course nothing on the map changed except for the stupid 99% to 100%!

And of course, I didn't have to walk along the PERIMETER, but right by the damn chest...

Thanks!

rhfb said:

I think you can equip Cecil with some Fire or Ice based knives.

Teknoman

Wow. The Edge and Rubicante (always thought Rubicante's e was silent) rage unleashing cutscene was cooler than I thought it would be. Edge sounds older than I would've pegged him for back in the day on SNES.

Man I cant wait for FFV and VI DS to show up. Going to be amazing.

BrandNew said:

Yeah elemental shards. They are pretty weak though.

Just defeated
Golbez in the underworld
. He was tough, but only took me two tries after remembering that
barrier shift means he changes elemental weaknesses

So I figured after him I wouldn't have too much trouble in the next castle/dungeon
Tower of Babil. Stupid fire cat things with their goddamn scorch. I've been trying to just tank them but I realize I need to start strategizing to kill them faster. Just so damn frustrating when they cast it one right after the other and half my party gets wiped.

Amir0x

Banned
prodystopian said:
Just defeated
Golbez in the underworld
. He was tough, but only took me two tries after remembering that
barrier shift means he changes elemental weaknesses

So I figured after him I wouldn't have too much trouble in the next castle/dungeon
Tower of Babil. Stupid fire cat things with their goddamn scorch. I've been trying to just tank them but I realize I need to start strategizing to kill them faster. Just so damn frustrating when they cast it one right after the other and half my party gets wiped.

My tip for
firecats
: Run away, not far along in the dungeon they become infrequent and everything is much more manageable :)

Amir0x said:
My tip for
firecats
: Run away, not far along in the dungeon they become infrequent and everything is much more manageable :)

Yeah, this game doesn't make it easy for those people who refuse to run away from battles. Sometimes you just have to run away from the overpowered ones before they toast your party.

Teknoman

Death_Born said:
Yeah, this game doesn't make it easy for those people who refuse to run away from battles. Sometimes you just have to run away from the overpowered ones before they toast your party.

Yeah I had to learn that the hard way. I never run unless its from a Back Attack...though I did manage to take out those
Firecats
after two game overs. Now im in
Sylph Cave before I go to The land of Eidolons (which I didnt know was called the feymarch) and then the sealed cave

Amir0x

Banned
Well the game is officially done. Now I just have to wait for Final Fantasy IV the After to come out in America on... whatever interesting idea works and really effectively. Not called mobile phone, of course. What that will be is a mystery to us all!

SquareEnix bringing Parasite Eve and Agito to PSP is a great sign.

Thanks, Amir0x. Running away hadn't even occurred to me, heh. This game is making me appreciate just how easy all the other RPGs I've played are (FF1 [NES], FF3 [DS], FFVII, FFX, FFXII off the top of my head). I'm planning to try Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 next. Is this a decent warmup?

BTW, got passed the
firecats
by pure luck and am handling the rest of the dungeon with ease.

Amir0x said:
Well the game is officially done. Now I just have to wait for Final Fantasy IV the After to come out in America on... whatever interesting idea works and really effectively. Not called mobile phone, of course. What that will be is a mystery to us all!

SquareEnix bringing Parasite Eve and Agito to PSP is a great sign.
I sure hope so, I want The After so bad I get dizzy just thinking about it. A PSP or DS port would be amazing.

Amir0x

Banned
Gunloc said:
I sure hope so, I want The After so bad I get dizzy just thinking about it. A PSP or DS port would be amazing.

i'm no Dragona, but i can tell you it is coming. I will now slyly leave while chuckling in informed self-congratulatory vagueness.

Wilsongt

Amir0x said:
i'm no Dragona, but i can tell you it is coming. I will now slyly leave while chuckling in informed self-congratulatory vagueness.

You do know if you're lying to us all... There will be torches and pitchforks... right?

Amir0x

Banned
i left clues for posterity and future success. ;P

but seriously, as I said it's supposedly coming so as far as I am aware it's true. Trust me I want it too.

Amir0x

Banned
dont worry about that :)

i just hope it gets a rad graphical upgrade and expanded upon to really fit into the way they designed the remake. Hopefully no more fake deaths :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The After is the mobile sequel to FFIV right? What did GAF impressions say about it?...... Did anyone play it? :lol

Wilsongt said:
You do know if you're lying to us all... There will be torches and pitchforks... right?

I'll bring the torches!

kn769.gif

Amir0x

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
The After is the mobile sequel to FFIV right? What did GAF impressions say about it?...... Did anyone play it? :lol

RevenantKioku played it and I believe liked it. I THINK.

But ya know... that's RevenantKioku. So we can just go ahead and disregard that right now.

Johnas

FFIV: The After coming to NA?

I like the sound of that.

Amir0x said:
RevenantKioku played it and I believe liked it. I THINK.

But ya know... that's RevenantKioku. So we can just go ahead and disregard that right now.

:lol

Johnas

Dragona Akehi said:
Don't expect a "rad graphical upgrade" for an english version of FFIV: The After.

And no, it won't be on an american mobile carrier. ;)

Good, I want it to be in glorious 2D. DS works just fine too.

Hopefully sometime before Fall '09.

zaccheus

Banned
ff4 is quite possibly my favorite final fantasy simply because i understand the story the first time through :D

edit: oh and the english voice acting is fucking awesome

Chris R

BrandNew said:
I just ran away from every single fight till I got to the boss :lol Guess I was kinda overleveled anyways since I didn't have a single issue, where with the water guy boss before kicked my ass a bunch of times

Teknoman

Dragona Akehi said:
Don't expect a "rad graphical upgrade" for an english version of FFIV: The After.

OMG YAY :D

zaccheus said:
ff4 is quite possibly my favorite final fantasy simply because i understand the story the first time through :D

edit: oh and the english voice acting is fucking awesome

Seriously. FFIV,V, and VI all had easily understandable yet nice storylines.

Dragona Akehi said:
HOLY JESUS WHAT THE FUCK ZEROMUS

Big bang?

Teknoman said:
Big bang?

Yes!

However, I've nailed him on my second try. This time, inexplicably, he only did Big Bang twice! Otherwise he faffed around casting Osmose (lulz) or Flare. He only did Black Hole twice as well... so I didn't have to waste turns with Rosa Slowing him.

Final levels:

Cecil - 65
Rosa - 62
Kain - 63
Rydia - 61
Edge - 61

I didn't use Auguments either... but only because I didn't know whom to give what! I'll be definitely experimenting with them on my other playthroughs!

Dragona Akehi said:
I didn't use Auguments either... but only because I didn't know whom to give what! I'll be definitely experimenting with them on my other playthroughs!

"Tis a pain in the ass that the augments have NO DESCRIPTIONS WHATSOEVER. You have to experiment to actually see what they do and then it appears on the Ability screen.

But you didn't use any augments? Admirable indeed. The game is quite hard without Counter or Draw Attacks.

Amir0x said:
i left clues for posterity and future success. ;P

but seriously, as I said it's supposedly coming so as far as I am aware it's true. Trust me I want it too.
Dragona Akehi said:

All you guys, with the winking and the secrets. :D

I don't need any graphic updates, I'm actually quite fine with the retro look. As long as it gets here.

Death_Born said:
"Tis a pain in the ass that the augments have NO DESCRIPTIONS WHATSOEVER. You have to experiment to actually see what they do and then it appears on the Ability screen.

Yeah, couple the lack of explanation of Auguments, with an obsessive saver, and they end up in Key Items, never to be disturbed.

But you didn't use any augments? Admirable indeed. The game is quite hard without Counter or Draw Attacks.

No, I didn't use any. Though I was a higher level than usual thanks to Auto-battle... And I did use up quite a few rare items (such as Bronze Hourglasses) in order to kill some of the more irritating monsters-in-a-box...

thrasher

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Lunar Core

How do I stop the Blue Dragons? My 70+ lvl party got wiped out by two of them on the 4th level of the last dungeon. Highly annoying.

thrasher said:
How do I stop the Blue Dragons? My 70+ lvl party got wiped out by two of them on the 4th level of the last dungeon. Highly annoying.
Use Rydia's "stop" magic. Another strategy is to cast "berserk" on the dragons and "blink" on your party. Having the dualcast or omnicast augment assigned to Rosa helps a lot.

Amir0x

Banned
Gunloc said:
All you guys, with the winking and the secrets. :D

It's not a secret, it's on this very page hidden!

Gunloc said:
I don't need any graphic updates, I'm actually quite fine with the retro look. As long as it gets here.

I want a modest upgrade from the GBA FFIV look they have going on in the mobile game actually. That'd be a bit cheap in my view!

Dragona Akehi said:
No, I didn't use any. Though I was a higher level than usual thanks to Auto-battle... And I did use up quite a few rare items (such as Bronze Hourglasses) in order to kill some of the more irritating monsters-in-a-box...

At your levels I think I would have smashed my cartridge and stopped playing. I cannot stand the cheapness of some monsters at the end, that's why I over leveled.

I have

Cecil - 83
Rydia - 80
Rosa - 81
Kain - 79
Edge - 79

with Augments of course. So annoying we couldn't get use descriptions on them bitches

Zeromus
isn't too bad as long as you remember he's a counter-machine. He doesn't like being cast on, so if you leave the healing and Spider Webbing to the mages and only attack with the physical guys, he's really a pushover.

vareon

I hate having to rely on guides to get the augments. I missed Dualcast already >:[

I might replay this game without augments but on Wait mode. I don't know if I'm just stupidly slow but enemies seem to act blazingly fast on Active o_o

Segata Sanshiro said:
Zeromus
isn't too bad as long as you remember he's a counter-machine. He doesn't like being cast on, so if you leave the healing and Spider Webbing to the mages and only attack with the physical guys, he's really a pushover.

He didn't seem to care if Rydia
used Stardust or the Stardust Rod, nor did he really react to Bahamut
. He really liked casting Flare on Cecil though.

2DMention

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Two tips on the Dark Sages.

#1. They are weak to Frog.
#2. If you have to face 3 at a time...run...unless you have the omnicast augment..then use cast reflect on all your party members..a hard fight becomes extremely easy.

Well I just finished the game...I have to say I commend the people that didnt use Augments. A few of them like Dual Cast, Phoenix, Omnicast, Counter, Draw. We're key abilities to finish this game without tearing your hair out.

Also..im kinda bummed that I didn't get to readjust my augments before fighting the final boss..i didn't even get to throw the knife!!!

Dark Sages - aren't they the ones that say "sing, my pretties!" If you get frog'd by them, just keep fighting until they change you back.

I didn't use any augments except Bless, and Analyze. I had to grind up to 77, but I did it.

Blue Dragon were real bitches, but once you get all the armor that reduces magic damage to half, they weren't bad. Leveling helped too.

I still got spanked by the red dragons. Those things were just as tough as the last boss and some of the other weapon-guarding bosses if you ask me.

Top Bottom