• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. L.

kamilleoptyzkf.gif

GUNDAMMM!

Blader

In honor of 30 years of giant robot fighting, I've dug up my top 5 favorite Gundam battles EVER.

Major spoiler warning: these fights all happen at the end of their respective series. Don't click unless you've already seen or don't care about being spoiled.

Domon and Rain vs Devil Gundam (G Gundam Episode 49)

08th MS Team vs. Norris (08th MS Team Episode 11)

Uso vs Chronicle/Katejina (Victory Gundam Episode 51) <--this was a bitch to find :lol

Amuro vs Char (Char's Counterattack) <---this clip was all I could get, there's a lot more to this fight

Domon vs Master Asia (G Gundam Episode 45)

7Th

Turn A is still the best Gundam show produced to date. Tomino took all of his obvious flaws as a director and transformed them into quirky strenghts. The show works because it is charmingly sloppy.

fxbat5.jpg

da8a8.jpg

116m49u.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Its about time that there was an official gundam thread. Now im gonna go read me some crossbone, and hope for an animated series in the near future.

Totakeke

7Th said:
Turn A is still the best Gundam show produced to date. Tomino took all of his obvious flaws as a director and transformed them into quirky strenghts. The show works because it is charmingly sloppy.

So true.

Love the music as well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So the only Gundam I ever watched any of was Wing. I liked it, but I've always kinda wanted to get into the original Gundam universe.

So what's the best way to do that? I heard they cut the first series down into movies or something?

Snaku

Banned
Htown said:
So the only Gundam I ever watched any of was Wing. I liked it, but I've always kinda wanted to get into the original Gundam universe.

So what's the best way to do that? I heard they cut the first series down into movies or something?

I highly recommend watching the movie trilogy of the original Gundam, rather than watching the TV series. The pacing is much better, and it covers all of the major plot points very well. Then watch the Zeta Gundam TV series. Avoid the Zeta movies.

Trakdown

0083.jpg

gundamx.jpg

Gundam0080.jpg

73157.jpg

How I spent my summer vacation. Enjoyed all of them, though I think 0080 was probably my least favorite. I really need to go back and rewatch First Gundam and start Zeta one of these days.

Blader

Looking at that poster reminds me of how fucking beautiful the animation in 0083 looks.

Too bad the script sucked ass.

Trakdown said:
How I spent my summer vacation.

Me too. :lol I watched almost everything from the original to 00. Only ones I skipped were X and Turn A.

Parallax

Trakdown said:
0083.jpg

gundamx.jpg

Gundam0080.jpg

73157.jpg

How I spent my summer vacation. Enjoyed all of them, though I think 0080 was probably my least favorite. I really need to go back and rewatch First Gundam and start Zeta one of these days.

Stardust memories is the only one i didn't like. The only character that i liked was anavel gato, the others either pissed me off(nina, kou) or just didnt do anything for me. I also didnt really care for the gp gundam line. 01 was ok, but 02 and 03 were just odd. I didn't like 80, but the more i watched it, the more it grew on me.

Trakdown

Blader5489 said:
Looking at that poster reminds me of how fucking beautiful the animation in 0083 looks.

Too bad the script sucked ass.

Me too. :lol I watched almost everything from the original to 00. Only ones I skipped were X and Turn A.

I ended up really liking Gundam X. It's sad that Wing got so much more attention, it's very much an inferior series.

0083 had great art and animation quality and music (The Winner + Men Of Destiny), but yeah...script needed some heavy work. Gato was awesome, though. So was Kou until he spent every episode yelling at the top of his lungs. But it holds a special place in my heart since it actually revolves around Gundam pilots who aren't in the throes of puberty.

Trakdown

Parallax said:
Stardust memories is the only one i didn't like. The only character that i liked was anavel gato, the others either pissed me off(nina, kou) or just didnt do anything for me. I also didnt really care for the gp gundam line. 01 was ok, but 02 and 03 were just odd. I didn't like 80, but the more i watched it, the more it grew on me.

You didn't like South Burning? C'mon, the man bitchslapped an Ensign clear across a cargo bay in zero gravity!

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
I watched the Turn A, the original movie trilogy, Zeta and CCA a few weeks ago. All great.

I don't have a particular favorite at the moment...maybe Turn A or the original trilogy. Hell I enjoyed Zeta and CCA just as much so it's a bit hard to place.

Apharmd

I'm rewatching V Gundam with a friend who's watching the Gundam stuff in production order; Holy shit, I forgot how brutal, gritty and dare I say it, silly the series is. I know people complain a lot about Tomino making his protagonists kids, but he makes extremely good use of them to simultaneously display two utterly contrasting facets of life, childish antics and brutal warfare. I mean fuck, V2 attempting to fish a whale on the White Ark is just too cute. :lol

Now that I think about it, the guy did an excellent job making the Victory/V2 and Turn A as more than just machines; They become something personal and intimate like a favorite toy, despite having no personality/sentience on their own. And in the hands of aggressive people, would probably become insane symbols of death and destruction.

The only other series I know to have done this successfully is Patlabor and the Alphonse. But hey, this is a Gundam thread. :lol

edit - mispelled

edit 2 - holy shit my post is full of errors

Beowulf28

I've been putting off watching ZZ because of how childish it is but I hear it picks up in the second half. Is it worth it to sit through 25 episodes of shit for the good stuff?

Apharmd

Also, while we're on Gundam, is anyone actually gonna pick up the MG Guntank? They actually spent a lot of effort on that thing, with flexible threads and shit. And it can actually do dynamic poses. :>

And hey, is it okay if we talk about toys in here too? For all you Turn A fans, an affordable toy is actually coming out end of the month in October. It looks pretty nice too for a good alternative to people who don't build kits/want to play with their Gundams.

Robot Damashii Turn A Gundam!

kchyjo.jpg

vrbi15.jpg

Apharmd

Beowulf28 said:
I've been putting off watching ZZ because of how childish it is but I hear it picks up in the second half. Is it worth it to sit through 25 episodes of shit for the good stuff?

Depends. I can only recommend ZZ to the most stalwart of Gundam fans; It does decent work in the second half, especially with displaying the start of the decline of the Federation (which does explain Char's frustration in CCA). But you have to shovel through so much crap that it will turn off a good amount of people before they get into the good parts like the Dublin arc or what we see of Kamille's recovery.

Gilgamesh

I stopped watching Turn A. It just moved at such a slow pace thanks to Tomino's strict ~50 episode policy. By episode 30-something I was bored out of my mind and I finally gave up shortly thereafter.

Apharmd

Gilgamesh said:
I stopped watching Turn A. It just moved at such a slow pace thanks to Tomino's strict ~50 episode policy (although Turn A was only 50! gasp!). By episode 30-something I was bored out of my mind and I finally gave up shortly thereafter.

Bro, I'm not going to lie. You're going to unlock the floodgates of rage. If this was your objective, I think you're doing a decent job. :lol

Honestly though, it's a shame TAG was too boring for you. Watch Victory Gundam, dude. It has quite a bit of innovative battles and gritty fighting.

7Th

Gilgamesh said:
I stopped watching Turn A. It just moved at such a slow pace thanks to Tomino's strict ~50 episode policy (although Turn A was only 50! gasp!). By episode 30-something I was bored out of my mind and I finally gave up shortly thereafter.

There is no way in hell Turn A would have worked with a lower episode count. I love it because it is laid-back and adorably awkward; it really evokes the slow, quiet atmosphere of those classic WMT shows like Akage no Anne.

Swordian

Beowulf28 said:

It picks up relative to how terrible the first half is, but it never really gets good.

Gilgamesh

7Th said:
There is no way in hell Turn A would have worked with a lower episode count. I love it because it is laid-back and adorably awkward. It really evokes the slow, quiet atmosphere of those classic WMT shows like Akage no Anne.
Maybe not, but it was more of a drama than anything and I'm just not interested in those.

Shouta

Trakdown said:
I ended up really liking Gundam X. It's sad that Wing got so much more attention, it's very much an inferior series.

Yeah, Gundam X is still my favorite Gundam overall despite shortcomings. It has a pretty likeable cast, awesome Gundam designs (The X and X-Divider are my favorite Gundam designs), a story that isn't about two organize military factions duking it out, and a pretty cool setting. It's a shame that it got canceled before it could finish its entire run.

Parallax

Trakdown said:
You didn't like South Burning? C'mon, the man bitchslapped an Ensign clear across a cargo bay in zero gravity!

I forgot about him. Ok, he makes the cool list, but thats still two over the rest of the cast. Thinking back, i think i might dislike kou based on his association with nina. I really hated her fascination with anavel especially since it wasn't reciprocated. It reminds me of another character in the uc timeline who i refuse to mention

Earlier in the year a switch went off in my head that suddenly made me want to watch a bunch of Gundam series. I started with 08th MS Team and then did 0080 followed by the MSG movie trilogy.

Good stuff. Where should I go from here, though? I've heard Turn A Gundam is good.

I am also looking forward to Gundam Unicorn whenever that comes out.

Trakdown

WyndhamPrice said:
Earlier in the year a switch went off in my head that suddenly made me want to watch a bunch of Gundam series. I started with 08th MS Team and then did 0080 followed by the MSG movie trilogy.

Good stuff. Where should I go from here, though? I've heard Turn A Gundam is good.

I am also looking forward to Gundam Unicorn whenever that comes out.

There's a lot of good series you could take a look at. If you want to continue the UC storyline, I recommend watching 0083- despite its flaws, it's an enjoyable, short series which serves as a bridge to Zeta. Or you could go straight to Zeta.

If you want to go with the Alternate Universe Gundams, you've got G Gundam, which is very different but a lot of fun (and has an awesome ending), Turn A (I haven't watched it yet so I'll refrain from comment) and Wing (wouldn't recommend it.) I'd probably recommend Gundam X specifically because it incorporates some of the ideas brought about from the UC and applies them to a whole new storyline. It's got some damn good mech designs, a good storyline and good characters.

Gilgamesh

WyndhamPrice said:
You should check out G Gundam. It's a badass anime for manly men. It will put hair on your chest.

0083 is pretty good. F91 is pretty good. Wing wasn't bad, I enjoyed it when I was younger. The movie, Endless Waltz, is definitely still awesome though. As for Zeta, I only watched the movies. They weren't too good. Maybe I'll watch the series someday. I've never watched Victory or X. Seed is awful and 00 is alright.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
This thread needs more Gundam: Victory love, perhaps the most underrated series in the Gundam universe.

Leezard

7Th said:
Indeed. I'm currently rewatching it. Such a great show.

Hero

Anyone know of a good English site for Gunpla news/discussion/etc? I used to go to AEUG.blogspot.com but it's no longer updated.

I need updated Gunpla news. The Blue Frame Astray 1/100 MG looks awesome.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's all about Stardust Memory, Gato was a fucking beast.

Good guys also won in that one <3

Loved 8th MS Team, and War in A Pocket also. Movies for the original were fantastic.

Trakdown

shintoki said:
It's all about Stardust Memory, Gato was a fucking beast.

Good guys also won in that one <3

Loved 8th MS Team, and War in A Pocket also. Movies for the original were fantastic.

Stardust Memory had some great humor too:

Gato: "If you wanna be more than just a grunt, you gotta learn to see the whole picture!!"
Kou: "Uh.. Yes! Yes sir!"
Gato: "Gaaaaah!! I'M THE ENEMY YOU IDIOT!"

Apharmd

Hero said:
Anyone know of a good English site for Gunpla news/discussion/etc? I used to go to AEUG.blogspot.com but it's no longer updated.

I need updated Gunpla news. The Blue Frame Astray 1/100 MG looks awesome.

ngeekhiong.blogspot.com

if you need it even faster (and can read chinese) http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum-15-1.html has general japanese toy news (which includes gundam kits)

edit - BEATEN BY S.L.

Trakdown said:
Stardust Memory had some great humor too:

Gato: "If you wanna be more than just a grunt, you gotta learn to see the whole picture!!"
Kou: "Uh.. Yes! Yes sir!"
Gato: "Gaaaaah!! I'M THE ENEMY YOU IDIOT!"

While we're talking about 0083 humor, am I the only one that laughed when the director decided that a cheesy love song should play while Kelly and Kou have a montage of repairing the Val Valo together?

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A LOVE AFFAIR I NEED THE MAGIC WHEN I HOLD YOU NEAR

Apharmd said:
While we're talking about 0083 humor, am I the only one that laughed when the director decided that a cheesy love song should play while Kelly and Kou have a montage of repairing the Val Valo together?

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A LOVE AFFAIR I NEED THE MAGIC WHEN I HOLD YOU NEAR

I watched 0083 for the first time this past week and I lolled quite hard when the sensual love song started playing during that!

I never understood the love for Turn A. Outside the awesome unique mecha, I thought the show meandered way too much. It was a unique take for Gundam, but it just seems people go ga ga over it because it tried to be different. Corrin Nander was only awesome thing that I really appreciated to come out of it, I wanted to slap all the other characters.

Blader

Trakdown said:
0083 had great art and animation quality and music (The Winner + Men Of Destiny), but yeah...script needed some heavy work. Gato was awesome, though. So was Kou until he spent every episode yelling at the top of his lungs. But it holds a special place in my heart since it actually revolves around Gundam pilots who aren't in the throes of puberty.

Then you'll love 08th MS Team. :D

7Th said:
Why would you do that?!

I didn't really skip it, exactly, I did watch the first 5 episodes and I did like them. But it was just really slow moving, and I ended up getting distracted with my Friday Night Lights watching. :lol

Swordian said:
It picks up relative to how terrible the first half is, but it never really gets good.

Yeah, pretty much this. The second half of ZZ isn't as painfully annoying as the first half, but it's still pretty bad. There are a couple good moments here and there, but nothing worth watching a whole series for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom