• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apharmd

Can't wait for the PG 00 Raiser to come in later on this year... HYPE!!!

Dude, did you see the freakin' flywheel rotation video on it? It looks SWEET. Ah well, too bad I'm not a kit person.

Shouta

Blader5489 said:
Gotta love SEED's design philosophy. "Just stick a huge backpack on it!"

Nothing wrong with that. A lot of Gundams are essentially standard MS with a lot of packs added on. There aren't many of them that don't look like they could eject some armor or weapons. :lol

Yea Astrays were pretty shitty story wise, the mecha was only thing that kept my interest. It got real crappy from Destiny Astray and onward.

donkey show said:
Senki 0081 surprised me a lot. I have yet to get the RX-81 on the Feddy side considering I've been having too much fun with the Efreet Nacht. Katanas and kunais? C'mon. :lol

The RX-81's are awesome.

Dendrobium Orchis is the ultimate backpack.

LargeDendrobium-14.jpg

Leezard

donkey show said:
Dendrobium Orchis is the ultimate backpack.

LargeDendrobium-14.jpg
I love the Dendrobium. This is what a backpack should be. Lots of missiles, foldable bazookas, a HUGE beam saber, a mega beam cannon, a fucking giant claw... I wish it was used more than the little screen time it got in 0083.

Apharmd

donkey show said:
Stupid fact. All that entire Gundam series in Stardust Memory were named after flowers.

Because something feminine had to balance out Dendrobium's stupidly phallic MEGA beam cannon. :lol

Blader

I watched Wing over the summer, for the first time since I saw it back on Toonami, and even though I didn't love the show as much as I did 8-9 years ago (though I do think it's better than some people give it credit for), the music is so damn good! Probably my favorite Gundam soundtrack ever, and thank God I found the whole thing on youtube.

Some of my favorites (the original titles sucked, so I've given them better ones :D):

Prologue - "The year is After Colony 195..."

The God of Death

Treize's Pride

"Certain conditions must be met for total peace..."

Farewell Relena

The Hard Life of a Warrior

Epyon's Unveiling

Run for the fucking hills, here comes Wing Zero

Requiem for Treize

"They're pretty good copies...but they're still just dolls to me"

The Lightning Count

Final Battle

JoeFu

Banned
omfg wing zero song. I forgot how epic it was. I remember looking for Gundam Wing music on napster or whatever back in the day.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I never understood this, why in hell did Wing has the shittiest budget? Only thing comparable is Seed Destiny, but even then...how many damn times did they use the same frame to show leo blowing up:lol

Blader5489 said:
I watched Wing over the summer, for the first time since I saw it back on Toonami, and even though I didn't love the show as much as I did 8-9 years ago (though I do think it's better than some people give it credit for), the music is so damn good! Probably my favorite Gundam soundtrack ever, and thank God I found the whole thing on youtube.

Some of my favorites (the original titles sucked, so I've given them better ones :D):

The God of Death

Treize's Pride

Farewell Relena

Epyon's Unveiling

Requiem for Treize

The Lightning Count

Final Battle
Fun fact: The composer for Gundam Wing would go on to do the music for Shadow of the Colossus.

Blader

shintoki said:
I never understood this, why in hell did Wing has the shittiest budget? Only thing comparable is Seed Destiny, but even then...how many damn times did they use the same frame to show leo blowing up:lol

:lol Yeah, it's almost as bad as SEED and Destiny in terms of stock footage. I can only guess that being the third Gundam show in three years--and after the first two weren't particularly successful--ate into the budget.

ninj4junpei said:
Fun fact: The composer for Gundam Wing would go on to do the music for Shadow of the Colossus.

Wow, didn't know that. SOTC soundtrack is made of win too.

Apharmd

Blader5489 said:
:lol Yeah, it's almost as bad as SEED and Destiny in terms of stock footage. I can only guess that being the third Gundam show in three years--and after the first two weren't particularly successful--ate into the budget.

Wow, didn't know that. SOTC soundtrack is made of win too.

Actually, I thought Gundam TV animation has generally been bad with the exceptions of Z/ZZ. Victory had a ton of super slow frames, reused SOME OP frames tastefully in combat, and the OP2 was a huge mishmash of remixed OP1 scenes and some new OP scenes, which were just jerky due to the tiny frame count. ED2 was the same way.

I can't remember how G/X were (ages since I rewatched them), but I think TAG also had really low frame counts, since they focused on detail. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. SEED, Destiny and 00 also didn't have big budgets. It mostly goes to OVAs and movies. TV series' afaik are generally safe to cut back on budget on, especially with SEED/Destiny/00; Kids will buy the model kits anyway if it's marketed right.

hteng

Banned
auction-koju-1-3.jpg

auction-koju-1-2.jpg

mamoru nagano's redesign on the Mark II, i'm not sure if its a mod or a commercial product though

a81ae1a9.jpg

and his redesign of Turn A. not sure if its really his design though, color choice is poor imo

198591.jpg

in case you haven't notice, i'm a big nagano fan

Hostile Paradox

Neo Member
BattleMonkey said:
Bootlegs are only way. Though I wouldn't consider it "english"

eBay, that's where I got mine. It hasn't been officially licensed in the US I believe, so yeah, you might have to suffer through engrish subtitles.

I gotta say, Turn-A was such a disappointment for me. They only thing I liked were the Zeon MS's they dug up.

Hostile Paradox said:
eBay, that's where I got mine. It hasn't been officially licensed in the US I believe

Oh, it's licensed. Everything Gundam is licensed in North America. Bandai just has no plans to release it.

Blader

BattleMonkey said:
Bootlegs are only way. Though I wouldn't consider it "english"

From what I remember, the Turn A subs were actually pretty decent. Now, Victory, on the other hand...

Apharmd said:
Actually, I thought Gundam TV animation has generally been bad with the exceptions of Z/ZZ. Victory had a ton of super slow frames, reused SOME OP frames tastefully in combat, and the OP2 was a huge mishmash of remixed OP1 scenes and some new OP scenes, which were just jerky due to the tiny frame count. ED2 was the same way.

I can't remember how G/X were (ages since I rewatched them), but I think TAG also had really low frame counts, since they focused on detail. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. SEED, Destiny and 00 also didn't have big budgets. It mostly goes to OVAs and movies. TV series' afaik are generally safe to cut back on budget on, especially with SEED/Destiny/00; Kids will buy the model kits anyway if it's marketed right.

G's animation was pretty solid, I thought, though there was a bit of stock footage in it (mostly just reusing the same Shining/Burning Finger sequences). X's animation, from what I saw, was pretty much identical to Wing.

distantmantra said:
Oh, it's licensed. Everything Gundam is licensed in North America. Bandai just has no plans to release it.

Technically no. Bandai Ent has rights to Gundam IP but actual licenses for the actual release of the shows on dvd, they don't. The Japanese want Gundam to be completely with one company and Bandai Ent has access to use pretty much all of Gundam for what they need (imagery, marketing, toy making, games), but the actual shows have to be licensed individually still for release and television broadcast. If they had the licenses to it all they would have just pumped out cheap dvds already, but the rights for each Gundam show is still pricey.

Blader5489 said:
From what I remember, the Turn A subs were actually pretty decent. Now, Victory, on the other hand...

No, Turn A HK subs are attrocious, you can understand them but they are really bad. Victory was actually quite good and the names were accurate, bit engrish sure but it was fine, probably one of the better HK subs for Gundam outside of ZZ which were actually scripts ripped from fansubbers except for 2 episodes that are painful.

Blader5489 said:

The God of Death

Treize's Pride

Farewell Relena

Epyon's Unveiling

Requiem for Treize

The Lightning Count

Final Battle

The fellow that composed Wing's music went on to do Shadow of the Colossus.

edit: phooey, already mentioned

S. L.

hteng said:
auction-koju-1-3.jpg

auction-koju-1-2.jpg

mamoru nagano's redesign on the Mark II, i'm not sure if its a mod or a commercial product though
That's the Hyaku Shiki thou, also it looks like a mod/scratchbuild.
Silicon Tribe released a resin kit of it thou. this:
2983666298_4632ffa7edgbbf.jpg
2982809167_a10ac4278f69cb.jpg

they also recently released the nagano version of the rick/sturm dias.
s.dias04nbqb.jpg
s.dias02zxb4.jpg

the qubeley i have is also a silicon tribe kit. they pretty much only do nagano stuff.

Zyzyxxz

Shouta said:
Yeah, Gundam X is still my favorite Gundam overall despite shortcomings. It has a pretty likeable cast, awesome Gundam designs (The X and X-Divider are my favorite Gundam designs), a story that isn't about two organize military factions duking it out, and a pretty cool setting. It's a shame that it got canceled before it could finish its entire run.

I re-watched Wing recently again and holy crap... the dialogue is ridiculous as hell.

Especially the English dub and the characters do retarded things for no reason throughout the series.

Blader

Zyzyxxz said:
I re-watched Wing recently again and holy crap... the dialogue is ridiculous as hell.

Especially the English dub and the characters do retarded things for no reason throughout the series.

I thought the dub was pretty good, especially for its time. Some of those guys (like Scott McNeil or Brian Drummond) haven't topped themselves since, imo.

Aegus

This thread reminds me that they need to do a proper release of Five Star Stories in english that a) Isn't rare and b) Isn't 26 volumes compared to the JP 12 volumes.

Also an anime adaption.

Zeonic-Corps recently retranslated 0079, and they did a great job. The final 10 or so episodes are still the best of any series, imo. Episode 41 in particular.

Zyzyxxz said:

The dialogue in pretty much all Gundam is ridiculous.

People love Tomino but hes always had the issue of spastic characters who just kind do shit randomly. Even the original Gundam series he did is full of crazy shit, especially in the character department.

Tomino is an extremely creative individual, he creates intriguing settings and lot of cool shit, but really his story telling/directing can leave a lot to be desired.

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Victory Gundam is getting a MG kit, and it's a Katoki version on top of it too

14m9zqc.jpg

260zc51.jpg

2h3oaar.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Shouta said:
Fuuuuuck, PG Victory? I want. =(

Though, I really want a PG GX.
MG (Hopefully Gundam X might finally see the light of day as a MG kit now that they are making V)

Also, they are releasing a Robot Damashii V2 Assault Buster

2sb6cqu.jpg
oatzs3.jpg

Blader

Gundam Unicorn released information announced:

The first episode of Gundam Unicorn, “The day of unicorn”, will be available in Japan in the following ways:

* From February 20th to March 5th, it will be screened in five theaters (Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Sapporo and Fukuoka). The privileged ones who assist this screening are allowed to purchase the Blu-Ray Disc before its official release date. It specifications will be announced on the official website on January 20th.
* From February 20th, the first episode of Gundam Unicorn will be available on the japanese PlaystationStore [it is the "Internet" release previously announced].
* On 2010 March 12th, it will be available on Blu-Ray (5.040 JPY) and DVD (3.990 JPY).

No information about the worldwide release.

Source

A little sooner than I was expecting, thankfully.

Dead

well not really...yet
Information about the Japanese Blu-Ray release

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-22/gundam-unicorn-to-have-english-dub-5-language-subs

Bandai Visual's first Blu-ray Disc volume for the Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn anime series will have a simultaneous overseas release on March 12 with Japanese and English dubbing, as well as Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Chinese subtitles. The first of six DVD volumes will ship on the same day with Japanese dubbing as well as Japanese and English subtitles.

Looks like the first episode could be about 60 minutes if there are no extras (if there are, that means the 60 minutes covers the episode + extras)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom