• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FightyF said:
Actually, I have some questions that shouldn't spoil anything at all...

-how is the image quality? You can get technical if you like, but overall, how is the IQ?

-does the story so far, depict the same sort of depth hinted by the ilovebees campaign, or is it more like Halo 2 where it was pretty much straightforward and used as a tool to progress the action? Of course, do not list anything specific, just reply with "Shallow", "Average", "Deep", and "ilovebees deep".

-How does the framerate hold up in split screen Co-Op?

Going to spoiler tag this anyway to be safe. There are NO story spoilers in here, though.
1. IQ varies. The game is overall quite pretty. Your immediate surroundings in closed-quarters are detailed and great-looking. The sky is like the prettiest sky ever, but most of you know that already. :lol That said, when you look out to unreachable areas in distant places (for example, when next to a cliff overlooking something), the beauty falls apart. There are hardly details, and everything looks flat.

2. Story, so far, I'd say is much deeper than one and two. I don't remember there being this many story-driven long cutscenes. Also, if you are familiar with BioShock, throughout the levels there are certain objects that give you some backstory too. There has been a few twists, and definitely some touching moments. Also, the intro movie is like the best thing ever. I didn't follow ilovebees, so I can't comment on that.

3. Haven't tried split screen coop, or any coop.

Are your thoughts about the game length changing? Are you taking your sweet time, or just trying to get through it? I'm a big fan of vehicles. Are there plenty of vehicle scenarios in the levels you've played?

You are in for a treat. TONS of vehicle scenarios of all different varieties. As for length, at this rate, I plan to finish around the 9 hours mark. I do take time to explore the areas (and the game rewards you for it with quite a few optional areas with goodies in them), but I'm trying to plow through the story just to get the stress of spoilers off my mind. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Vyse The Legend said:
Also, someone asked me earlier if the GRUNTs do anything cool. I now have the answer.
Sometimes when they get desperate, they arm two plasma grenades, then run right at you with both of them lite in their hands. Kamikaze grunts!

LOL :lol :lol

Tieno

LukeSmith said:
If you PM me your gamertag I'll look up your stats tomorrow at work!
No, this isn't a Ninja thing, either.
You can check how long someone has played a game? That's cool! LukeBrother!

It's not always easy to estimate how long you've spent on a game though.

Wollan

How are the cut scenes actually? I mean, on what level of quality? I found the Halo 2 ones pretty great (a different dimension than Halo 1) but they suffered severly from low fps.

Tzeentch

LukeSmith said:
If you PM me your gamertag I'll look up your stats tomorrow at work!
No, this isn't a Ninja thing, either.
bungack.jpg

LukeSmith said:
Bummer, I'd have definitely wagered that his 4-5 hours estimate is a bit on the low side for that point in the game ;)

Maybe so. I started around 7:30pm (EST). Took an 1 or 1.5hr break around there, plus mini-breaks during frustrating parts. Stopped around the time I posted in here (2:30am EST). I'd be surprised, if it was more than 6hours total gametime, so far.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Vyse:

This is as far as I'll go in terms of asking about the story, but will some lingering questions be answered within the first 2-3 missions (i.e. right off the bat) ? You can give a simple "yes" or "no" or you can choose to not answer. I'll understand.

Tieno

Vyse, I've got a question for you.

How are you liking the Brutes? Relatively it's probably still my biggest worry for Halo 3.

Sean

Banned
Wollan said:
How are the cut scenes actually? I mean, on what level of quality? I found the Halo 2 ones pretty great (a different dimension than Halo 1) but they suffered severly from low fps.

Interested to know this too.

I've found the cutscenes in both games to be lacking polish. Halo 1's were just done last minute AFAIK, and Halo 2's had the whole texture pop-in stuff. Are the Halo 3 cutscenes better?

Sean said:
Interested to know this too.

I've found the cutscenes in both games to be lacking polish. Halo 1's were just done last minute AFAIK, and Halo 2's had the whole texture pop-in stuff. Are the Halo 3 cutscenes better?

The cutscenes are fantastic. I haven't noticed any of the pop-in from part two. Also, they are beautifully directed. Definitely one of the biggest improvements over the previous games.

How are you liking the Brutes? Relatively it's probably still my biggest worry for Halo 3.

They were a concern of mine, also. However, they play very differently from the ones in part 2. They are varied and fun to fight. VERY smart, too.

NOTE: Someone sent me a PM. I want to say that due to the spoiler craziness, I won't even be clicking on my PM link until I finish the game. :lol Sorry!

Wollan

You may want to spoiler tag this one but how is the level flow? Is there a greater focus on open levels like in Halo 1 compared to Halo 2?

Tieno

Thanks Vyse, your down to earth impressions (as in not littered with hyperbole) are very nice. It's always great to see the opinion of a fellow gamer. Enjoy it!

Wollan said:
You may want to spoiler tag this one but how is the level flow? Is there a greater focus on open levels like in Halo 1 compared to Halo 2?

Greater focus on open levels, definitely. I'd say 80% of my current gametime has been spent in big open environments. That said, the indoor areas are done very well.

Toothpick

Wollan said:
Is it like Halo 2 where the levels seemed to be 1 split into 3? Like the first Earth levels in Halo 2 felt like only 1.

Lakitu

st5fu
Vyse The Legend said:
The cutscenes are fantastic. I haven't noticed any of the pop-in from part two. Also, they are beautifully directed. Definitely one of the biggest improvements over the previous games.

They were a concern of mine, also. However, they play very differently from the ones in part 2. They are varied and fun to fight. VERY smart, too.

NOTE: Someone sent me a PM. I want to say that due to the spoiler craziness, I won't even be clicking on my PM link until I finish the game. :lol Sorry!

That was me, haha that's fair enough! I'd appreciate if you could answer my questions please after you finish the game :>

LukeSmith

Tieno said:
You can check how long someone has played a game? That's cool! LukeBrother!

It's not always easy to estimate how long you've spent on a game though.

I'd just look at his Campaign Game History, which records the duration spent on each level for a given session.

Tieno

LukeSmith said:
I'd just look at his Campaign Game History, which records the duration spent on each level for a given session.
Thanks, it's a shame we can't see how long we've spent playing halo 3. I would have loved to see a thread in a year where everyone posts their total time spent with Halo 3 so far. But since you guys record that data, I hope you can include that stat in a future upgrade.

Wollan said:
Any known voice actor additions since the last game? Halo 2 had an awesome lineup.
Known so far is Jonathan Ross, link contains vague info on which side he'll play.
http://www.thunderboltgames.com/news/viewnews/1732

Toothpick

Awesome impressions. Thx.

Later (today) theres probably gonna be lots of screenshots around because of the new B.net. Careful..

edit:wait maybe not today.. i forget..

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
:(

I need GAF friends for Halo 3.

I'm afraid to post it on the other topic, though.

I love this thread. It's like a ship lost at sea during a storm. Waves of spoilers come and hit hard. We lose a few good men, mourn for like twenty posts, then resume our awesomeness.

Nothing can stop this thread. :lol

Holy jeez I almost read the spoiler tags just by subconciously highlighting posts (it's a habit).

Luckily I evaded it by quickly scrolling down.

Barnolde said:
Anyone have a readable shot of the back of the box? I wanna see exactly what it supports.

Can I just tell you (too lazy to take pic and upload right now :lol )?

Players 1-4
Co-op
System Link 2-16
HDTV 720p/1080i/1080p
Optimized for HDD
Online MP 2-16
Content Download
Leaderboards
Voice
File Sharing

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Flesh Into Gear said:
That's news to me.

And EvaPlusMinus I'll be your friend ;)

It's just being upscaled. The only resolution they need to write on the box is 720p because that's the resolution the game natively displays at.

What? the back of the case says 1080p? I thought Halo 3 ran in 720p, and everything after that is scaled? The beta ran in 720p only right?

EDIT:OK its still upscaled

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Flesh Into Gear said:
That's news to me.

And EvaPlusMinus I'll be your friend ;)

Anybody with an awesome avatar like that is already a friend of mine!

FLCL was awesome.

PM me your GT or I can PM you. Whichever you prefer.

Edit: How big is the visual difference between native and upscaled anyhow?

I just noticed something interesting in the manual. There is a a option called "Bungie Pro," which says "Join Bungie Pro to upgrade your file share capacity on XBL." Is this free? Hope so.

Vyse The Legend said:
I just noticed something interesting in the manual. There is a a option called "Bungie Pro," which says "Join Bungie Pro to upgrade your file share capacity on XBL." Is this free? Hope so.

Don't hope.

Believe.

It's not free.

Vyse The Legend said:

750 MS points for a year of Bungie Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom