• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

matmanx1

I hate going on gaf and asking for buying reccomendations, but I've had a hell of a time trying to sort through amazon, heapdhone review sites, and neogaf to try and find stuff that is both (1) still available and (2) fits my requirements.

I'm looking for
*over-ear
*under $300
*don't look too stupid/huge/ridiculous
*noise cancelling (active or passive)
*good build quality (I've had some sennheisers in the past that basically just fall apart eventually)

and of course, good audio quality. I listen to pretty much everything from spoken word, classical, rap, rock, vocal, lofi, etc.

For cheap noise cancelling with a good sound you could definitely do a lot worse than the Logitech UE6000. They are discontinued now but used to be on Tyll's Wall of Fame at Innerfidelity.

I picked up a pair on Ebay for $45 (they sold for $200 new) and am enjoying them. For example, I used them today while vacuuming the house and was able to really hear and enjoy the music out of my iPod Touch. The noise cancelling uses 2 AAA batteries but that can be toggled with a little button on top of the headphones.

They are over ear and to me they look a little bit space age (like most Logitech stuff) but are not overly large. They fold up nicely and come with a carrying pouch so they make a great mobile set.

HiResDes

They used to get rave reviews but then people started complaining about the build quality some units apparently were quite solid while others were falling apart after a few months and it seemed as if their quality control was quite inconsistent and the budget killer hype died down. I spent about thirty minutes listening to a pair at best buy and thought they were a good value, but the QC scared me off.

matmanx1

They used to get rave reviews but then people started complaining about the build quality some units apparently were quite solid while others were falling apart after a few months and it seemed as if their quality control was quite inconsistent and the budget killer hype died down. I spent about thirty minutes listening to a pair at best buy and thought they were a good value, but the QC scared me off.

On the UE6000's? If so, the junk units should have been weeded out by now and anything that's still kicking can be assumed to be built to last. Mine certainly feel solid enough and they do have a replaceable cable.

HiResDes

On the UE6000's? If so, the junk units should have been weeded out by now and anything that's still kicking can be assumed to be built to last. Mine certainly feel solid enough and they do have a replaceable cable.
Yeah was talking about the UE6000s, and you're probably right.

Da Fro

Instead of reading every page I was hoping someone could help.

With Halo Wars 2 out and Ghost Recon almost out, I'm in need of a new headset for my Xbox One.
Just looking mostly for comfort. I have bigger ears, not weird big but bigger, and wanted ones that fit over them. I'm using Skullcandy Plyr 2 right now. They were a little small and had a few issues but they worked okay. Now it's time to upgrade.
Wireless would be great but wired works just fine for me.
$100-$200 Canadian So around $150 US max

I've been recommend the HyperX Cloud II. Found them for $110. Good recommendation or something better?

Edit: Sorry I was looking in the gaming forum and was linked to this thread, assumed it was from gaming. My bad if this is the wrong place to look for help.

Instead of reading every page I was hoping someone could help.

With Halo Wars 2 out and Ghost Recon almost out, I'm in need of a new headset for my Xbox One.
Just looking mostly for comfort. I have bigger ears, not weird big but bigger, and wanted ones that fit over them. I'm using Skullcandy Plyr 2 right now. They were a little small and had a few issues but they worked okay. Now it's time to upgrade.
Wireless would be great but wired works just fine for me.
$100-$200 Canadian So around $150 US max

I've been recommend the HyperX Cloud II. Found them for $110. Good recommendation or something better?

Edit: Sorry I was looking in the gaming forum and was linked to this thread, assumed it was from gaming. My bad if this is the wrong place to look for help.

Cloud II are awesome headphones in their own right, and assuming you want an all in one solution for console play they are a perfect pick. I have them and recommend them.

Da Fro

Cloud II are awesome headphones in their own right, and assuming you want an all in one solution for console play they are a perfect pick. I have them and recommend them.

Thanks. Yeah I am looking for an all in one solution.
I think I will go pick them up today or tomorrow.

I pulled the trigger on the M1060's the other day. I should have them Saturday. MY AKG Q701's were a nice get on sale, and an improvement over my Sennheiser HD555, but they never really felt right for me. I found myself wanting to fiddle with EQ which is something I never do because I always like things flat. I look forward to trying something new. I'll either be selling the AKGs or the M1060's, but based on some impressions of the M1060's I am guessing I might stick with those.

Anyone have experience with both the fiio e10k and schiit fulla 2? Considering selling the fiio and getting the fulla 2. However if the isn't much difference I'll just pass on the fulla 2.

matmanx1

I pulled the trigger on the M1060's the other day. I should have them Saturday. MY AKG Q701's were a nice get on sale, and an improvement over my Sennheiser HD555, but they never really felt right for me. I found myself wanting to fiddle with EQ which is something I never do because I always like things flat. I look forward to trying something new. I'll either be selling the AKGs or the M1060's, but based on some impressions of the M1060's I am guessing I might stick with those.

Yeah, let us know. They are certainly an interesting and unique offering from Monoprice.

NotSelf

The SBAF thread already has measurements, impressions and modding talk.

Thanks never heard of SBAF just did a bit of reading on both SBAF and Head-Fi ya people seem to be taking them apart not really interested in modding a $300 headphone or $400 which I hear the price might go back up.

There also might a revision on the m1060 people seem to be speaking up about the MMCX connectors.

matmanx1

The Focal Elear loaners I signed up for back in early January were waiting on me when I arrived home today. I literally just put them on my head and an listening to my very first song with them.

The look, feel and build quality is fantastic. Based purely on that I can see why they retail for $999. I'll post up some pics after I am finished with my first listening session.

Chumley

Banned
I ordered a Bose QC35. Most expensive pair of headphones I've ever bought by far but Bose has always been the most comfortable brand I've ever worn and the promise of great audio cancellation with bluetooth and 20 hr battery life is too good to pass up.

matmanx1

Incoming photos! (UE6000's hanging out next to the Elear!)
vEXRo6H.jpg

QMdKqNZ.jpg

MVRpPuv.jpg

eVijFN9.jpg

So yeah, the Focal Elear is a really good looking, well built headphone. And yes, it really should be for the asking price.

It's also really comfortable. The foam on those ear cups have little holes in them so that they breathe well but they also have a great combination of softness while still being able to retain their shape and mold to my head nicely. Once I got them adjusted I found them to be the most comfortable headphone that I have yet tried.

In terms of sound quality they have great clarity and present a lot of detail. I especially like the way they handle the human voice and really enjoyed listening to albums last night that have strong vocal performances.

For an open back headphone the bass has nice extension but I found myself missing the delicious quantity of low end that the TH-X00's have. I really enjoy headphones with strong low bass so much so that most open back headphones I have tried sound to me like the low end is missing. The Elear, for me, could use more and stronger low bass but the mid bass does have a nice punch and snap to it.

I've still got a lot more listening to do over the next week before I write my full review but thus far I am at least somewhat impressed with the Elear. My early impressions are that I still prefer the sound signature of the TH-X00's over the Elear even as I acknowledge that the Elear is the better technical headphone and is far more comfortable.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone have experience with both the fiio e10k and schiit fulla 2? Considering selling the fiio and getting the fulla 2. However if the isn't much difference I'll just pass on the fulla 2.

Haven't we been through that discussion?

Since you're convinced it will make a difference, you might as well go find out that it doesn't.

cdyhybrid

Any suggestions for IEMs for general use that are fairly durable? I usually end up beating mine up pretty bad (getting them ripped out of my ears or the phone because they get caught on an arm rest on the bus or something), so I'm working on being more careful with them, but I need all the help I can get.

Typically just use them to listen to music/podcasts/radio on the bus and at work, at the gym, etc. Usually listen to electronic music (house/techno/trance), but occasionally hip hop or other genres.

Looking to stay under $100 if possible, but it's not a hard cap if the right ones are out there.

Wooohoo. My M1060's came a day early. Still putting them through their paces but early impressions are very positive. I already know without a doubt I am getting rid of my AKG Q710's. These are already running laps around them, especially in the low end and sound stage. Only downside out of the gate is a short cable. I think I have an extra Shure cable with the mmcx (?) connector type that is a bit longer. Otherwise I will need to buy a longer cable for these to use them at my desk comfortably. They are also pretty comfy so far, but I can't conclude that until I have them on for three hours of gaming.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Spent my E-MU Teak money on a 1TB 960 EVO.

Now watch a new drop suddenly appear.

Looking to upgrade the ear pads on my M50s. Is there a difference in sound between velour and "memory foam"?

No massive difference, unless the isolation changes.

LQX

Wooohoo. My M1060's came a day early. Still putting them through their paces but early impressions are very positive. I already know without a doubt I am getting rid of my AKG Q710's. These are already running laps around them, especially in the low end and sound stage. Only downside out of the gate is a short cable. I think I have an extra Shure cable with the mmcx (?) connector type that is a bit longer. Otherwise I will need to buy a longer cable for these to use them at my desk comfortably. They are also pretty comfy so far, but I can't conclude that until I have them on for three hours of gaming.
How is the build quality?

Blitzhex

Using Fulla 2o n the ps4 pro and the sound channels are reversed. What the hell.
Other usb dacs seems to have the same problem on the ps4.

WHAT DO?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Using Fulla 2o n the ps4 pro and the sound channels are reversed. What the hell.
Other usb dacs seems to have the same problem on the ps4.

WHAT DO?

I just switch which sides of the cup in wearing.

Which kinda reverses the backwards and forwards thing but it's less disorienting and i honestly don't notice as much as the reversed left right.

Interesting that is a universal thing with all usb dacs on the ps4 though.

I just bought a Fulla 2 and Grado SR80e's for use with my PS4. Pretty pumped.

Was wondering though if there's an official 2 channel speaker thread on Neogaf? I realized I i have no idea what a good, audiophile speaker setup would even consist of. Like, what kind of speaker is better- studio monitors (or are those just for recording artists), powered monitors (what's the difference), active, passive? Do headphone amps like what Schiit makes work with speakers? What are pre-amps? Are they necessary? Would a setup consist of source>dac>pre-amp>amp>speaker? Do you need a stereo receiver? Are stereo receivers even good? Do speakers offer better value for performance over headphones assuming you have no problem with the nature of their use (no privacy, non-portable, etc)

HiResDes

Better soundstage, find that hard to believe.

Vipu

Banned

Was wondering though if there's an official 2 channel speaker thread on Neogaf? I realized I i have no idea what a good, audiophile speaker setup would even consist of. Like, what kind of speaker is better- studio monitors (or are those just for recording artists), powered monitors (what's the difference), active, passive? Do headphone amps like what Schiit makes work with speakers? What are pre-amps? Are they necessary? Would a setup consist of source>dac>pre-amp>amp>speaker? Do you need a stereo receiver? Are stereo receivers even good? Do speakers offer better value for performance over headphones assuming you have no problem with the nature of their use (no privacy, non-portable, etc)

So many questions!
I guess good start is to know your budget.

HiResDes

Alright I have to say Grado are pretty awful for gaming with their really intimate soundstage and measly bass quantity. They're pretty much tailor made for rock and nothing else.

Your other question or questions are kind of convoluted and the answers will change based upon the situation. A good audiophile speaker is irrelevant unless you're doing like mastering or mixing work at home, you're gonna want some rather suited for your personal tastes in music and sound signature. Most headphone amps aside from the the higher end of the Schiit and Woo can't amp speakers by themselves, you might be to use them as preamp but not even all work as pre. Pre-amp basically control, clean up and disperse signal in prep for a more powerful amp which might only have like one input option. You usually wouldn't need a DAC if you're gonna use a preamp kinda overkill but otherwise your setup is correct. You need a stereo receiver or like a small T-amp for all passive speakers. Active speakers make things simple you don't need anything but a clean source for active receiver, no amp whatsoever. There are definitely great stereo receivers out there along with crap ones obviously. Older stuff is great, power amps are the best value IMO when coupled with a preamp. I wouldn't say speakers offer a better value at all, it's pretty comparable, and there are good active speakers like the JBL LSR305 that sound pretty good without the need of a costly setup.

Blitzhex

I just switch which sides of the cup in wearing.

Which kinda reverses the backwards and forwards thing but it's less disorienting and i honestly don't notice as much as the reversed left right.

Interesting that is a universal thing with all usb dacs on the ps4 though.

Uhh, man, this is unusable.. angled drivers and angled pads. Don't want backwards and forwards flipped either way. I'm trying my hand at plugging straight into the TV, it has a headphone mode that turns off its audio processing stuff, sounds better than ps4 controller's audio jack so far.

I mainly use the fulla 2 for the PC but this is a major bummer.

Mush

Hi GAF.

I need to replace my ageing/dying CX 300-IIs but I'm struggling to find anything on the market that compares. Ideally, I'm after something that is tangle-free, has an asymmetrical cable and has headset controls. My budget is probably limited to around the $80 USD mark.

Thanks <3

HiResDes

Hi GAF.

I need to replace my ageing/dying CX 300-IIs but I'm struggling to find anything on the market that compares. Ideally, I'm after something that is tangle-free, has an asymmetrical cable and has headset controls. My budget is probably limited to around the $80 USD mark.

Thanks <3
There are like fifteen dollar IEMs that I think sound better honestly.

Better soundstage, find that hard to believe.

Yeah man. I had the chance to bounce between the M1060's and the AKG Q710's today and I am confident the M1060's have a better sound stage. The Q710's never felt as open as I hoped. The M1060's definitely feel like a proper open back headphone as soon as you put them on. When you play songs with great sound stage, my personal feeling is it the headphones or earphones disappear. They feel light or non existent, in addition to being able to giving the music a 3D space. The sound becomes this sphere your head is in the middle off. Another anecdotal test of sound stage for me is when subtle sounds in songs make me turn around and look behind be because I legit get paranoid that I am mixing real life sounds with my music. I am not an audiophile expert, but I have had a decent run at cans and earphones in the 200-400 range and so far the M1060's are absolutely crushing everything I have owned up to this point. Are these better than $1K cans? I have no idea, I have never had the chance to try them. Are these better than Senn. HD555 and AGH Q710's yep, without hesitation. So far, I am loving everything about these other than the short cable. Comfy, clear, great range, super open sound stage and the low end that was completely devoid in my AKGs. I would recommend these to anyone I know who is willing to go up to $300.

so my dad's birthday is Monday. I got him a Sennhesier rs185 for use with mainly his tv in his bedroom, so you know he doesn't wake up mom when he's up late watching tv and she's trying to sleep. I went with the 185 which are open cause my mom is kind of hard of hearing anyways so I doubt she'd be bothered by it. But anyway I'm planning on picking a Google Chromecast Audio to plug into it. I figured in addition to functioning as his home theater headphones he'd also be able to use his phone, pc or whatever to stream music to it and since the headphones are wireless he can use probably use them pretty much everywhere in the house. Heck he may even be able to mow the lawn with these things if the range is good enough. Anyone else got a similar setup? How's it fairing?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Very YMMV for Bose QC 35 for $150

hhgregg is going out of business

http://www.hhgregg.com/bose-quietcomfort-35-black-wireless-headphones/item/7599440010

best buy price match through the phone and it pulled through. placed 2 black ones. I asked the indian dude if I could give feedback on his work and after I told the supervisor that the caller did a great job...heard random clapping around the room. hilarious way to end the night. Should get it by thursday

8O0YWYe.jpg

I doubt this will last a few hours since its on slickdeals

8byte

Banned
Howdy guys and gals!

I'm interested in the Sennheiser PXC 480, but need some input.

Noise cancelling isn't the biggest deal to me, so Bose is pretty much out of the question (if that's the selling point).

Here's what i'm interested in:

Portability
Over-Ear
Sound Quality
Warranty

My office is relatively quiet, so I don't necessarily need them to be exceptionally great at noise cancelling.

I'll be using them primarily for music and gaming. Are the PXC 480s too much comparatively for equally capable headphones, or is the $299 a reasonable price? I've only ever owned Sennheiser headphones (mostly in-ear headphones) and their warranty has always been a saving grace and selling point for me.

Hopefully I covered everything for info, and I appreciate any input!

HiResDes

Howdy guys and gals!

I'm interested in the Sennheiser PXC 480, but need some input.

Noise cancelling isn't the biggest deal to me, so Bose is pretty much out of the question (if that's the selling point).

Here's what i'm interested in:

Portability
Over-Ear
Sound Quality
Warranty

My office is relatively quiet, so I don't necessarily need them to be exceptionally great at noise cancelling.

I'll be using them primarily for music and gaming. Are the PXC 480s too much comparatively for equally capable headphones, or is the $299 a reasonable price? I've only ever owned Sennheiser headphones (mostly in-ear headphones) and their warranty has always been a saving grace and selling point for me.

Hopefully I covered everything for info, and I appreciate any input!
If you don't need active noise cancelling don't pay for it... There are plenty of better headphones to be had especially in that ripe price range. Like the Blue Lola, HP50, Focal Spirit Classic, and Audio Technica MSR7 in that range.

Totakeke

Does anyone know what's up with the HD6XX 6ft cable that Massdrop said they'll send out to everyone? It's almost two months now.

Top Bottom