• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Kirby Superstar Ultra Thread that poops on Subspace Emissary

Jiggy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Finding out now that it's a remake of KSS has me wet in the crotch. I played that game ENDLESSLY as a kid.
Shadowlink123 said:
Same, It just never gets boring.
Have said it before, will say it again: Kirby Super Star is different from 3D GTA games in literally every way except that both of them give players so, so, so many options and abilities to accomplish the same goal that anyone who appreciates the basic gameplay concept can't get bored of it.

lyre

Halycon said:
'lyre' indeed.
I have no need to do that, especially in a message board about video games on the internet.

If you doubt me, buy a copy and see for yourself***, two actually since that's what you need for coop. :D

Individual results may vary.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I missed out on Kirby when I was younger... but I love platformers. Should I get this game? I've been dying for a new DS game (been playing Mario Kart since I finished Professor Layton). What made the original version of this game so much fun?

Cocopjojo said:
I missed out on Kirby when I was younger... but I love platformers. Should I get this game? I've been dying for a new DS game (been playing Mario Kart since I finished Professor Layton). What made the original version of this game so much fun?
Seemingly endless abilities to learn and master, amazing cooperative in every game, infectious soundtrack, variety between the different games, easy controls, and great humor. Great graphics too and lots of secrets.

Jiggy

Cocopjojo said:
I missed out on Kirby when I was younger... but I love platformers. Should I get this game?
Yes. Kirby Super Star is the greatest imaginable litmus test to find out whether you like Kirby, because it combines very nearly every element of every other (traditional) Kirby game that anyone could appreciate while also doing things that no Kirby before it had done prior and that no Kirby after it did later. And it's not even really a debated thing, either. People argue about what the best 2D Mario is, or the best 3D Mario, or the best Final Fantasy, or what-have-you, but when it comes to (traditional) Kirby, it's accepted to be Super Star by a wide margin.

The only thing that could possibly go wrong from buying Kirby Super Star Ultra (assuming it's a quality remake that didn't lose anything from the SNES version, and going by Nintendo's hsitory with remakes I feel safe about that), would be that if you played that first and loved it, you'd have to be aware that you can't hold any other game in the series to the same standard. :p

What made the original version of this game so much fun?
19 powers with a total of 90+ moves, really fast gameplay, responsive controls, fantastic music, crisp and colorful graphics, and an amazing range of diversity.

That last point is a little hard to explain, but basically each "game" of Kirby Super Star--Spring Breeze, Dyna Blade, Great Cave Offensive, Revenge of Meta Knight, and Milky Way Wishes--plays out with a different gameplay focus. Spring Breeze is a very basic, straightforward run; Dyna Blade has small elements of exploration; Great Cave Offensive is full exploration without a linear level structure; Revenge of Meta Knight is a fast action game that keeps a quick pace; Milky Way Wishes uses a system of exploring to acquire powers permanently and select them from a menu instead of Kirby's usual eating mechanic.

If you will, imagine that you had five game worlds, but that instead of being separated by theme of design, they're separated by theme of gameplay style. Kirby Super Star has five sky levels, for example, but instead of playing them all consecutively (like in most platformers) they're distributed between those five "games" and broken up by theme.

That's about as good an explanation as I can give--it's kind of hard to describe without playing it for yourself.

MarkusRJR

I remember renting this game so many times as a kid (every other Thursday my family go and rent movies and games). This game was my childhood. I could never afford the full game though, so I had to keep renting it. Then one day they sold all their SNES games and I have never played it since. And now that it's on DS, and I still can't afford it. :lol

Here's hoping I can muster enough money to eventually buy it.

Munin

Super Star is one of the best games ever.

Can anybody who was played both versions tell me how well the music has been translated to the DS' sound capabilities?

Hive

Banned
This game is mine on day 1 for sure.

I really am getting into platformers all over again!

Let's hope that Bonk's Adventure games are placed on DS in the near future ^^

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Kirby Super Star holds a very dear place in my gaming heart and I will definitely be getting this game as soon as it comes out.

Unfortunately, the local stores are claiming that this game comes out on the thirtieth. This had better be an error, or I will be greatly displeased.

Greatly displeased. :mad:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jiggy37 said:
Yes. Kirby Super Star is the greatest imaginable litmus test to find out whether you like Kirby, because it combines very nearly every element of every other (traditional) Kirby game that anyone could appreciate while also doing things that no Kirby before it had done prior and that no Kirby after it did later. And it's not even really a debated thing, either. People argue about what the best 2D Mario is, or the best 3D Mario, or the best Final Fantasy, or what-have-you, but when it comes to (traditional) Kirby, it's accepted to be Super Star by a wide margin.

The only thing that could possibly go wrong from buying Kirby Super Star Ultra (assuming it's a quality remake that didn't lose anything from the SNES version, and going by Nintendo's hsitory with remakes I feel safe about that), would be that if you played that first and loved it, you'd have to be aware that you can't hold any other game in the series to the same standard. :p

19 powers with a total of 90+ moves, really fast gameplay, responsive controls, fantastic music, crisp and colorful graphics, and an amazing range of diversity.

That last point is a little hard to explain, but basically each "game" of Kirby Super Star--Spring Breeze, Dyna Blade, Great Cave Offensive, Revenge of Meta Knight, and Milky Way Wishes--plays out with a different gameplay focus. Spring Breeze is a very basic, straightforward run; Dyna Blade has small elements of exploration; Great Cave Offensive is full exploration without a linear level structure; Revenge of Meta Knight is a fast action game that keeps a quick pace; Milky Way Wishes uses a system of exploring to acquire powers permanently and select them from a menu instead of Kirby's usual eating mechanic.

If you will, imagine that you had five game worlds, but that instead of being separated by theme of design, they're separated by theme of gameplay style. Kirby Super Star has five sky levels, for example, but instead of playing them all consecutively (like in most platformers) they're distributed between those five "games" and broken up by theme.

That's about as good an explanation as I can give--it's kind of hard to describe without playing it for yourself.
Eh, Adventure gives it a run for its money, and is personally mine (And Sakurai's too) favorite.

Darkpen

Banned
augh! too many good games coming out at the SAME FUCKING TIME.

I still need to pick up Contra 4, the latest Ace Attorney, and FFTA2/FFXIIRW/TWEWY :( :( :( (and Planet Puzzle League wouldn't hurt either). That's not even counting the console stuff coming out this fall, either, that's just my backlog of DS games to get :(

Hive

Banned
Darkpen said:
augh! too many good games coming out at the SAME FUCKING TIME.

I still need to pick up Contra 4, the latest Ace Attorney, and FFTA2/FFXIIRW/TWEWY :( :( :( (and Planet Puzzle League wouldn't hurt either). That's not even counting the console stuff coming out this fall, either, that's just my backlog of DS games to get :(

Oh, you forgot about Yosumin~ ^o^

Great puzzle game, and I love it much more than Puzzle League (DS version, at least)

CoolS

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Awesome middle-of-nowhere PR. The three nerds that actually showed up must have been psyched to get so much camera time.

:lol

That's what I thought :lol

Nevertheless, I'm fucking excited for this game. I#ll have to import though. FU NoE

NeonZ

Drkirby said:
Eh, Adventure gives it a run for its money, and is personally mine (And Sakurai's too) favorite.

What? This is the first time I've seen anyone prefer Adventure to this one. Why would you like it more anyway?

This game offers everything that Adventure did and more. I'm not a fan of the pre-rendered graphics used in the game (especially noticeable in Metaknight's Revenge) but everything else was great for a platformer.

And the fighting is traditional, meaning you won't be bouncing all over the place.

I had completely forgotten about that part. It's not a big problem right now, after getting used to the pattern of the enemies, but, initially, it was the biggest annoyance in SSE. That said, I had always thought that Kirby focused too much on battling for a platformer, that's one of the reasons I prefer SSE, the engine just has more options for battles.

Zerodoppler said:
Joke post? Canvas Curse was garbage.

77805423.gif

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm looking forward to it. I got the SNES version like 10 years after the fact, so I never really got around to playing it.

Iam Canadian

NeonZ said:
That said, I had always thought that Kirby focused too much on battling for a platformer[...]

Then I think you're approaching Kirby the wrong way, because I don't think it is a platformer. To me, Kirby resembles a 2D action game like something Treasure would make (though much easier, of course) than a platformer, as the focus of the game is usually on fighting legions of cute, cuddly enemies with frequent mini-boss fights thrown in for good measure. In all honesty, I think the real fun of Kirby is defeating the enemies with the myriad abilities Kirby has at his disposal.

NeonZ said:
that's one of the reasons I prefer SSE, the engine just has more options for battles.

Kirby Super Star has dozens of different abilities, most of which that possess multiple attacks, and you can obtain any number of different abilities in any given stage. (In Milky Way Wishes, you have every ability you've found to choose from at will.) In SSE, you generally get around four or five characters - tops - and can't switch between them at will.

I prefer the variety of KSS, in all honesty.

ccbfan

Man I can't wait for this.

I'm even delaying my purchase of DQIV for this since there's no way I'll finish DQ IV before this is released.

Plus like most recent DQ games it'll be half price in a few months.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
lyre said:
I have no need to do that, especially in a message board about video games on the internet.

If you doubt me, buy a copy and see for yourself***, two actually since that's what you need for coop. :D

Individual results may vary.
I already have a copy!

Iam Canadian

Personally, I think Kirby: Canvas Curse is a bit overrated around here. It's definitely a good game, but when it comes to Kirby games, I'll take Kirby Super Star or Kirby's Adventure.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Iam Canadian said:
Personally, I think Kirby: Canvas Curse is a bit overrated around here. It's definitely a good game, but when it comes to Kirby games, I'll take Kirby Super Star or Kirby's Adventure.
Well that's a bit unfair. If I had to rank each game I've played by how much I enjoyed it, KSS would still be near or at the top.

(Take that Volcy!)

Tiktaalik

Jiggy37 said:

That's a pretty compelling argument. I've always considered Kirby a sort of 2nd tier Nintendo franchise, and never really understood the attraction, but I'm slowly considering picking up this title. I've only ever played Kirby's Dreamland, Dreamland 2 and Canvas Curse. Kirby's Dreamland felt much too simplistic, Dreamland 2 added ridable animals and was a much better game, but still felt like a B tier title and after playing that one I never really tried any Kirby games since, excepting Canvas Curse, which I feel was excellent.

NeonZ

Then I think you're approaching Kirby the wrong way, because I don't think it is a platformer. To me, Kirby resembles a 2D action game like something Treasure would make (though much easier, of course) than a platformer, as the focus of the game is usually on fighting legions of cute, cuddly enemies with frequent mini-boss fights thrown in for good measure. In all honesty, I think the real fun of Kirby is defeating the enemies with the myriad abilities Kirby has at his disposal.

Well, I don't disagree with you there. That wasn't meant to be a negative by itself.

Besides, compared to SSE, it clearly is closer to a traditional platformer, just look at the enemies: most enemies are obstacles that block the path of the level, staying in predetermined paths or stationary positions(besides sub-bosses and battles in closed areas), but, in SSE, almost every enemy is an adversary that aims to offensively defeat the player, running after him without trying to keep any kind of position. Touching them doesn't even hurt. Of course, there are exceptions in both games...

Kirby Super Star has dozens of different abilities, most of which that possess multiple attacks, and you can obtain any number of different abilities in any given stage. (In Milky Way Wishes, you have every ability you've found to choose from at will.) In SSE, you generally get around four or five characters - tops - and can't switch between them at will.

I prefer the variety of KSS, in all honesty.

SSB's engine just has more basic movements, like dodging, blocking and grabbing, and bigger movesets, making it much more adequate for a battle focus.

It's true that, in Kirby, "abilities" are switched much more often than "characters" in SSE, but, in the later, there are bigger movesets and the "characters" also change even movement speed and gravity force, unlike most of Kirby's abilities, besides some level specific ones and the roader.

Sciz

Tiktaalik said:
That's a pretty compelling argument. I've always considered Kirby a sort of 2nd tier Nintendo franchise, and never really understood the attraction, but I'm slowly considering picking up this title. I've only ever played Kirby's Dreamland, Dreamland 2 and Canvas Curse. Kirby's Dreamland felt much too simplistic, Dreamland 2 added ridable animals and was a much better game, but still felt like a B tier title and after playing that one I never really tried any Kirby games since, excepting Canvas Curse, which I feel was excellent.
Well no wonder. That's akin to playing Mario 1, 2, and 64 while skipping 3 and World.

Firestorm

Tiktaalik said:
Pick it up. Do it. You know you want to. $25 on Amazon.ca! Just add $15 worth of other stuff you need for free shipping and the $10 off coupon to make yourself feel better :)

Tiktaalik said:

Im in the same boat as you. At first i was rather unimpressed and uninterested in Kirby. I played Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA, and beat most of it in a couple hrs. I felt it was too easy and it didnt really hold my attention. Then around Wii launch I got Kirby's Adventure on VC, and dispite being mostly the same game, i really enjoyed it this time. Fun game!

Then i got Canvas Curse on DS. LOVE IT. Love the level design and the way it uses the touch screen for control. Not a traditional Kirby game by any means, but one of the best DS games in my eyes.

Congrats, Jiggy. I was sorta on the fence but you convinced me to buy it. The variety of gameplay types and all the powers/abilities sounds awesome, and Kirby's usually pretty fun to begin with. If Superstar really is the SMB3 of Kirby games, im excited.

The Kirby clouds is a pretty cool idea, but im getting annoyed by Nintendos marketting to the lowest possible denominator- the very unskilled in gaming and very young. I guess it makes sense, but seasoned gamers should know of Kirbys greatness as well.

Tiktaalik

Sciz said:
Well no wonder. That's akin to playing Mario 1, 2, and 64 while skipping 3 and World.

If Kirby SuperStar is akin to Mario World (or Mario 3?), than what's the other Kirby installment that you're thinking of that's a must play?

ccbfan

Tiktaalik said:
If Kirby SuperStar is akin to Mario World (or Mario 3?), than what's the other Kirby installment that you're thinking of that's a must play?

Kirby's Adventure is the other.

Sciz

Tiktaalik said:
ccbfan said:
Kirby's Adventure is the other.
Got it in one. It isn't quite universally well-regarded like KSS is, but it clocks in at #1 or 2 for most fans (again, excluding Canvas Curse).

Sciz

Golden Darkness said:
It's been revealed what the new modes are in this version.

Revenge of the King -
A more "difficult" version of Spring Breeze with more complex levels and tougher bosses.
Meta Knight Ultra -
Play as Meta Knight throughout the entire game, time trial like the Kirby Adventure remake Nightmare in Dreamland

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170044&p=39 and http://kirby.classicgaming.gamespy.com/index2.html
Huh. On one hand I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any truly new levels. On the other hand, Spring Breeze hard mode with tougher bosses is nice, and running Meta Knight through the entire game was great fun in NiDL. At least this time all of the games are presumably unlocked from the start with him.

Helper to Hero sounds neat, since it's basically a solo, one-power Arena run without having to worry about losing the power, which was always a pain in vanilla KSS. And a longer, harder Arena is always welcome too.

A great game gets better.

Jiggy

My own analogy for playing Dreamland, Dreamland 2, and Canvas Curse would be like playing SMB2 (Lost Levels), SMB1, and SMB2 (Doki Doki Panic).

Dreamland to Lost Levels - Good mechanics, albeit really basic ones, but totally ruined by difficulty--Dreamland is too easy, Lost Levels is too cheap. Dreamland is also too ridiculously short, but that's another story.

Dreamland 2 to SMB1 - Again, good mechanics, just really basic ones. For a person who valued simplicity above everything else, these two games might still be the favorites of some people (Adventure would probably beat Dreamland 2, though), but most others would rather play the later entries in the series.

Canvas Curse to Doki Doki Panic - Very good games that earned the respect they get. They just don't resemble anything else in the series, other than using the same characters.

[Edit: Ah, news popped up while I was writing the next section. :D

Helper to Hero
is exactly what I wanted and my only lament is
that it can't be done anywhere else in the game

Meta Knight Ultra
is another thing I wanted.
<3

Revenge of the King would probably
make me complain if not for the fact that I've never played a Nintendo remake or level remix that I didn't like, which I can't even say about their original titles. I doubt they'd mess anything up, and it'll be nice to have a version of Spring Breeze that I'll want to replay--it's not a weak link in Super Star or anything, but it's just that the others are lengthier and don't feel like they're over before they've begun. I do still wish we had gotten a mode to play as King Dedede, though, which is what I had initially thought the title meant. :( Oh well--two out of three isn't bad
!]

NeonZ said:
SSB's engine just has more basic movements, like dodging, blocking and grabbing, and bigger movesets, making it much more adequate for a battle focus.

It's true that, in Kirby, "abilities" are switched much more often than "characters" in SSE, but, in the later, there are bigger movesets and the "characters" also change even movement speed and gravity force, unlike most of Kirby's abilities, besides some level specific ones and the roader.
Kirby Super Star has blocking too, and several of the powers have grabs. Ninja, Jet, Yo-Yo, Wing, Beam, and Bomb can grab, and of course Suplex. I think Parasol could also, but I don't remember.

I don't want to go any further with comparisons to Smash Bros. in a thread about Kirby Super Star, but KSS is a very diverse game I never felt redundancy or anything less than a great amount of freedom in the different powers. You said most of the powers don't change movement speed or air momentum, but even if that were true, it would only be by a small margin of majority.

Fire has its fireball rush attacks for greater horizontal speed than most of the other powers. Wheel totally changes horizontal ground speed, and Wing totally changes horizontal air speed. Jet twists Kirby's vertical air speed so that the initial burst isn't as effective, but it then leads to a faster ascent afterward, and also gives him (basically) the ability to air dash horizontally. Parasol, Cutter, Ninja, Suplex, and Sword all have diving kicks or stabs that get back to the ground faster than other powers (so does Stone, but Stone is for people who like being cheap :p), while Fighter is the opposite with its rising uppercut that gets into the air faster than everything else. And maybe it's just me, but Mirror and Ice have different running animations from the other powers and I always thought they were slightly slower. Plus Mirror has the unique ability to freeze its position in the air (albeit only very briefly) with that attack where Kirby splits in two.

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
Plus Mirror has the unique ability to freeze its position in the air (albeit only very briefly) with that attack where Kirby splits in two.
This attack is why Mirror is my second favorite power right after Yo-yo.

You're right, too. I'd never really thought about it before, but most of the powers do have at least one attack that toys with Kirby's movement and momentum in a unique way. Such splendid moveset design. <3

PBalfredo

Damn. To get this game or not? Super Star is awesome. But I know this because I already own it on SNES. It has extras. But not $35 worth of extras. Mutiplayer completely rocks. But my friends are busy and flaky.

BTW, how was Amazing Mirror? I missed out on that one, but I heard it focused on multiplayer and had Great Cave Offensive style design. Those are two of the better aspects of the sweet, sweet layer cake that is Super Star. It sounds like it should be awesome.

Sciz

Some people love KatAM. I am not one of those people. It's ok, but the level design irks me, the new tunes aren't as good as those of previous games, and most abilities lack any degree of versatility. Notable exceptions being Smash (the only good new power), which is versatile and has great utility but is miniboss-only, and Fighter, which is so overpowered and broken that it supersedes just about everything else anyway.

Top Bottom