• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Kirby Superstar Ultra Thread that poops on Subspace Emissary

Jiggy

PBAlfredo said:
BTW, how was Amazing Mirror? I missed out on that one, but I heard it focused on multiplayer and had Great Cave Offensive style design. Those are two of the better aspects of the sweet, sweet layer cake that is Super Star. It sounds like it should be awesome.
With its soundtrack nowhere near KSS', its powers sticking almost exclusively to one move each (exceptions being Fighter and Smash), a less well-connected maze layout, and altogether too many great powers missing in action (no Yo-Yo, no Suplex, no Mirror...), Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was basically a much worse version of Great Cave Offensive.

I still liked Amazing Mirror a lot, though, but just don't expect anything approaching the heights of KSS if you pick it up.

Sciz said:
You're right, too. I'd never really thought about it before, but most of the powers do have at least one attack that toys with Kirby's movement and momentum in a unique way. Such splendid moveset design. <3
Splendid indeed. <3 I would have mentioned Ninja's wall cling too, but there's not much use to be found for it anywhere outside of
that one Great Cave Offensive puzzle

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I agree with Jiggy regarding Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. However, I have to admit, I actually liked its soundtrack quite a bit and I thought the new tunes were very good; especially Rainbow Route and Candy Constellation.

Golden Darkness said:
Revenge of the King - A more "difficult" version of Spring Breeze with more complex levels and tougher bosses.

Sounds like the "Extra Mode" in the original Kirby's Dream Land. I think it's too much to hope that it will be as hard as Extra Mode was in that game, but I do hope that it's at least moderately challenging.

And hey, maybe they won't shaft Castle Lololo this time.

Golden Darkness said:
Meta Knight Ultra - Play as Meta Knight throughout the entire game, time trial like the Kirby Adventure remake Nightmare in Dreamland.

Excellent. :D Meta Knightmare was my favourite part of Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland and I was disappointed to see it missing in action in The Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad.

Wonder if this can be done multiplayer.

NeonZ

Kirby Super Star has blocking too, and several of the powers have grabs. Ninja, Jet, Yo-Yo, Wing, Beam, and Bomb can grab, and of course Suplex. I think Parasol could also, but I don't remember.

I wasn't saying that KSS doesn't have grabbing, even Adventure had that, but the grab moves all are part of special movesets, rather than standard maneuvers. It's jut another example of how Smash has bigger movesets than KSS.

Smash was initially created exclusively for fighting, this comparison is almost unfair, IMO. You might prefer KSS due to its speed or level design, but, comparing moveset potential, Smash is clearly superior.

That said, I did forget about blocking in KSS... (To be fair, even if it was there, I don't remember using it, so I'll have to play the game again to see that).

Fire has its fireball rush attacks for greater horizontal speed than most of the other powers. Wheel totally changes horizontal ground speed, and Wing totally changes horizontal air speed. Jet twists Kirby's vertical air speed so that the initial burst isn't as effective, but it then leads to a faster ascent afterward, and also gives him (basically) the ability to air dash horizontally. Parasol, Cutter, Ninja, Suplex, and Sword all have diving kicks or stabs that get back to the ground faster than other powers (so does Stone, but Stone is for people who like being cheap :p), while Fighter is the opposite with its rising uppercut that gets into the air faster than everything else.

You're mixing several different things there. I had completely forgotten about wing and jet, but those are other powers that effectively change Kirby's movement. However, "fire" just comes with an attack that makes Kirby move faster than his usual movement, it's closer to an attack like Fox's side B than to the difference in running speed and gravity between Samus and Falco. Same goes to the powers with the downward jump attacks.

GasMan

The only Kirby game I've played was Canvas Curse and it didn't really inspire me that much. I'm curious now.

I didn't realise there was this much depth to what I had dismissed as a 'kids game'. Guess the good thing about ignorance is that you can sometimes be educated.

Darkpen

Banned
GasMan said:
The only Kirby game I've played was Canvas Curse and it didn't really inspire me that much. I'm curious now.

I didn't realise there was this much depth to what I had dismissed as a 'kids game'. Guess the good thing about ignorance is that you can sometimes be educated.
Damn right you can be educated. You can start with picking up KSSU :mad:

Hive

Banned
GasMan said:

The Kirby series is kind of a "kid's" game, but not all kid's games are without depth, challenge, and charm. Kirby is case 'n point, I think~

But if you want to find a game that fits the label you were describing, I'd say Legend of Stafy is even more accessible to kids. I love both series though, and to anyone reading this:
Please try out Legend of Stafy 4 and 5~

I imported 4 a couple years ago and still go back to play even today. Very good music, clean graphics, two main characters to play as, plenty of puzzles, good level design, lots of stuff to do, and comprehensive FAQs do exist out there to help you out!

Munin

Amazing Mirror is the best non-HAL Kirby game. It's good, but I think in the hands of HAL themselves it could have been even better. In a way, its sensation of discovery and exploration was comparable to Great Cave Offensive, but it didn't give me the same feeling of a grand scale adventure, for some odd reason.

zoku88

Sciz said:
Seems to have docked points primarily for being a remake and being easy (like every Kirby game). I can't fathom what impossibly high standards he was holding the game to.
I actually had a bit of trouble in the latter levels of Canvas Curse T_T

Cobra84

Anasui Kishibe said:
IGN review is up, 7.9'ed
So the remake of the best Kirby game is only .1 point better than Kirby Squeak Squad(7.8, same reviewer)? Unless they completely butchered the remake, I doubt it is even close to Squeak Squad.

I hate reviews when they make no sense relative to other similar games.

Ramune

To those on the fence, let it be known that Kirby Super Star was THE game that propelled Kirby from "Nintendo character" to "Nintendo Superstar"! Everything was just right, the difficulty, the variety, the replay value. This game showed people that there was a lot more to Kirby than sucking enemies and stealing their powers. This is the Mario World of Kirby. The Sonic CD of Kirby. If you underestimated Kirby, this game will take your preconceptions and kick it out the window and you'll be too stiff in shock to chase after it! It IS that good. BUY IT!!!

Jiggy

I really wanted Lucas Thomas to be the IGN reviewer for KSSU--he consistently does a bang-up job with his reviews on Virtual Console, providing more gameplay detail and deeper reviews in general. Even when I disagree with him, like his 9.5 for Kirby's Adventure (a game nowhere near Kirby Super Star), he generally backs up what he's saying and I appreciate that. In fact, he's the only professional reviewer I do appreciate at any of the major game sites. I feel certain that, whether he had liked KSSU or not, I would have respected whatever he scored it.

Craig Harris reviews, on the other hand, are frequently frustrating because his reasons for liking or not liking a game are rarely laid out in the open, resulting in scores that don't seem to match up to the text. If you read the review of KSSU, you'll find that he literally has no criticisms other than that it's not difficult and that it's not new. And near the intro he says that if you were 16-bit gaming back in 1996 it'll probably make you wish you didn't miss the original design the first time around." Sounds pretty excellent to me, but... It's a 7.9, which means "good" on the IGN scale. Personally, I'm not sure I've ever played a "good" game from 1996 that make me wish I hadn't missed out, but only great ones.

The reader average knows the correct score: 9.9.
...Assuming, of course, that the port wasn't marvelously butchered, but I've never seen that happen with a Nintendo game.

On a separate note, this is awesome news about the co-op being handled even better than I'd expected:

Without a copy of the game you can sync up your system and use it as a D-pad while looking over your buddy's shoulder.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ramune said:
To those on the fence, let it be known that Kirby Super Star was THE game that propelled Kirby from "Nintendo character" to "Nintendo Superstar"! Everything was just right, the difficulty, the variety, the replay value. This game showed people that there was a lot more to Kirby than sucking enemies and stealing their powers. This is the Mario World of Kirby. The Sonic CD of Kirby. If you underestimated Kirby, this game will take your preconceptions and kick it out the window and you'll be too stiff in shock to chase after it! It IS that good. BUY IT!!!
I would say Kirby's Adventure did it to be honest, Super Star just cemented it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sciz said:
Seems to have docked points primarily for being a remake and being easy (like every Kirby game). I can't fathom what impossibly high standards he was holding the game to.
Craig Harris hates rehashes with a passion. He's docked many many sequels for simply being the same/like the original.

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
Craig Harris hates rehashes with a passion. He's docked many many sequels for simply being the same/like the original.
I always loved his review of Pokemon Emerald, which he acknowledged as the game to get for anybody who hadn't jumped in on third-gen, but still rated 1.5 lower than Ruby/Sapphire. Or Advance Wars 2 and Advance Wars: Dual Strike, also the games to get for series newcomers according to him, yet with 9.0 scores instead of his 9.9 for the first GBA game.

And by loved I mean hated. It's not even the scores so much as the principle.

Jiggy

After watching the "Kirby in Action" video that's up on IGN, I seriously hope that's not Craig playing. Even I wouldn't be having fun in Kirby Super Star if I spent 85% of my time not taking advantage of two delightful mechanics known as running and running jumps. :/ And that would be entirely the fault of the player.

Jiggy

Probably the most mind-boggling claim to be had in that review is sitting in that last wrapup section:

Gameplay
Fun Kirby adventure that's biggest fault is its somewhat easy difficulty setting. And that most of it Kirby fans have done before.

This is untrue to the point of being the opposite case. I only wish I could say that, if I'd happened to miss out on Super Star, I had found a multitude of other Kirby games where getting a new power means getting a full moveset instead of a single attack to spam. But I can't, because none of the others did it. There's such an intrinsic difference between the play styles of these two that it should be impossible to miss...

...except that Nintendo has probably brought this on itself to some extent. :/ Between Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby 64, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, and Kirby Squeak Squad, they've pretty much been training people for a decade to expect nothing more than a shallow series where a single attack wins everything. (Is this similar to how fans of Genesis-era Sonic feel about the modern 2D sidescrolling Sonics? Left out, sad that nobody who wasn't playing in that pre-PSX era will believe them when they say that the past entries truly did contain something more substantial than the present? That's the gist of what I get out of however many conversations, at least, and it would be a perfect analogy.)

And so I wouldn't be entirely shocked if this gets panned by more than one reviewer who's trying to play it as if it were, you know, any of the other Kirby games in the past ten years, not realizing that, in fact, in this game and only this game, they have a metric load of options at their disposal. Likewise I won't be surprised if there's an enormous disparity between critical opinion and forum consensus (not just here, but elsewhere) on KSSU, dependent on how many Kirby games they played other than Super Star. It'd be an interesting case of precedents ruining things for people.

Anyway, I'll try to get a copy later today. If I do, I'll be sure to post if the port was handled correctly and it's the game I remember and adore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jiggy37 said:
Anyway, I'll try to get a copy later today. If I do, I'll be sure to post if the port was handled correctly and it's the game I remember and adore.
While reading this post I was thinking "Wow, here's a bigger KSS fan than Jiggy".

Then I saw your username. Go back to the Kanon avatar x_x

Kletian

As someone who never had a chance to play this on SNES (couldnt ever find the damn game) I'll be buying this as soon as I get off work.

Though I do hate games releasing when I'm not expecting them to, my wallet be empty.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:

If the game is actually going to be out today, I'll gladly assist!

Can't wait for
"Helper to Hero"
mode, so I can (ideally) own that mode with the power of TAC. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
KSSU GET! *Powers up*

:lol I feel bad for the programs when watching the credits to KSSU's Spring Breeze. While it may of been that fast before, each credit with 2 people and there job only gets less then 1/2 second.

Osuwari

hmm i haven't purchased a kirby game since the first GBA one but i'll be getting this one.
sounds like it is very fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, they also clarified whether the things in the background of Spring Breeze were Kirby's or Waddle Dee, they are clearly Waddle Dees now.

Aeana

I played for a little bit and managed to beat Spring Breeze and Dyna Blade. It feels exactly the same as I remember it, but the graphics are a lot cleaner. I really like the new enemy sprites -- especially Dyna Blade herself. It's definitely a bit easier than I remember it, but still really fun. I love Jun Ishikawa's music so much. Speaking of music, though... it's a bit soft, even with the DS's sound turned all the way up. Kind of annoying. :\

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Aeana said:
I played for a little bit and managed to beat Spring Breeze and Dyna Blade. It feels exactly the same as I remember it, but the graphics are a lot cleaner. I really like the new enemy sprites -- especially Dyna Blade herself. It's definitely a bit easier than I remember it, but still really fun. I love Jun Ishikawa's music so much. Speaking of music, though... it's a bit soft, even with the DS's sound turned all the way up. Kind of annoying. :\
I always play DS games with headphones, and the music always sounds great that way ;)

Also, one small thing I noticed, is that the normal enemies don't have life gauges anymore. They still have health, but no indication. Though I do enjoy the HUD being going, and all the info being on the bottom screen.

Also, Hyper Candy doesn't kill in 1 hit anymore everything anymore ether.

Oh, did the stages in Dynablade have names before in KSS? I don't remember them having names, but I never payed close attention to Dynablade.

Edit: o_O did the power Roulette always have an "Ouch!" power on it. I never gotten hurt from it before.

I read this on another forum:

What really irks me though is that they replaced all the arcade-like sprite intros to the games with these stupid fmvs that totally miss the impact of the originals.

Is that true? Is there any option to turn this off?

Between that and the unflattering screen comparison posted on the first page of this thread, I have to wonder why certain things were tampered with...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Don't think you can turn it off, but its not that bad. Its just FMV versions of the SNES cut scenes. Some spots I wish I had the sprites, other I really like the FMVs.

Though if you want to know what they fiddled with, all the graphics have been redone, kirby seems to smile more in the game, a few songs I think were redone (Though its been a while since playing KSS, so they could be the same), some of the treasures in Great Cave Offensive were changed, Spring Breeze and Dynablade I think were made easier (Though there is supposed to be a super hard version of spring breeze you get after you finish the game, so the spring breeze thing isn't to big of a deal), Hyper Candy doesn't kill everything in 1 hit, you can get ouch on the roulette wheel, and normal enemy health isn't displayed.

Hmm, thank you.

I'm kind of bummed about the graphics being done. The original backgrounds held a lot of appeal to me, and I haven't really seen anything like them in the GBA games or Squeak Squad (haven't played Canvas Curse, although I know I should).

My copy is coming tomorrow.

Also, does anyone have the Kirby firing machine gun gif from the anime? I want to use it for my review.

Cow Mengde said:
Also, does anyone have the Kirby firing machine gun gif from the anime? I want to use it for my review.

Googled it, might be a bit small but
kirby_gun.gif

Just picked it up but probably won't be able to play it until Thursday/Friday :(

I did try google. I entered a few phrases and couldn't find it. Anyway, thanks for the gif.

Also, I have the game, bitches!

My friend promised to leak the game ahead of time, but turns out I just get it the same day as you folks at retail. Well, whatever, I got to play it on the way home. I really like the quick draw mini game. It's simple, but addicting for some reason. I already blasted through Spring Breeze, Race, and now in Great Cave.

Only weird thing I've noticed so far are a few slightly tweaked button presses for fighter Kirby. Nothing major, but I couldn't pull off the downward kick at first.

Sciz

Dashing feels slightly slower. Minor quibble though. The graphics are gorgeous, the FMVs well done, and the gameplay as good as ever.

Dynablade's battle theme is now CASTLE LOLOLO, straight out of Air Ride. =D

Also, Gourmet Race has a title screen tune now. It's the unused race theme from KSS.

Top Bottom