• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Kirby Superstar Ultra Thread that poops on Subspace Emissary

Jiggy

I could have said even more than I already did in that comment, probably, but I wanted to avoid spoiling anything that the review itself didn't already spoil.

Psycho Penguin said:
Man, I was always scared of this one in a way because of the "multiple mini game" stuff but if it's an awesome Kirby platformer then I'm in.

MUST BUY TOMORROW.
It's the best Kirby platformer, so you're in good hands. :D

But yeah, given that review Firestorm linked and your comment, I occasionally wonder if Kirby Super Star was done a disservice by its marketing. :/

If they really had called Spring Breeze "World 1," Dyna Blade "World 2," Great Cave Offensive "World 3," and so on, it would be a lot less colorful and I wouldn't like it as much--I love KSS' unique layout, personally. But if it were that way, there wouldn't be anybody around wondering why these sections that KSS calls "games" are each so short. People look at them as individual entities because the marketing and the game interface encourage that, and maybe wrongly judge them as if they were supposed to be full games because of that, but it's honestly no different from multiple worlds in a platformer.

Edit:
Keru_Shiri said:
Is there a way to change the button layouts to Y/B?
No, and it's the only flaw in this remake. ;_;

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
If they really had called Spring Breeze "World 1," Dyna Blade "World 2," Great Cave Offensive "World 3," and so on, it would be a lot less colorful and I wouldn't like it as much--I love KSS' unique layout, personally. But if it were that way, there wouldn't be anybody around wondering why these sections that KSS calls "games" are each so short. People look at them as individual entities because the marketing and the game interface encourage that, and maybe wrongly judge them as if they were supposed to be full games because of that, but it's honestly no different from multiple worlds in a platformer.

In all fairness, I think each of KSS' "minigames" offer a greater variety of gameplay than different worlds in a different platformer would, and I'm not just talking about surface-level things like the HUD or the plot. Each game has its own pacing and focus, from The Great Cave Offensive's focus on exploration and puzzle-solving to Revenge of Meta Knight's emphasis on combat and throwing bosses at you every few screens. On the other hand, though, I understand the point you're making; the fundamental gameplay is the same, and the game would probably work as a single, seamless game. I'm just saying that there's more to the game's "multiple minigame" structure than just a misbegotten gimmick.

Eternal_0

Jiggy37 said:

Meta Knightmare Ultra literally tries this but with more of a focus on combat in each game. I wonder what it would be like if each game kept its original feel...

Jiggy

Nothing like that happened to me and I played through everything. :( And some of the games multiple times...

Come to think of it, I also never had a problem with the music sounding too soft compared to the sound effects, even though Aeana, Cow Mengde, and SpacePirate Ridley all did. Hopefully it's not a production problem or something strange like that. D:

NeonZ

To the people who dislike SSE: Did you even play the game on Intense, or, at least, Very hard? It's even more of an action game than Kirby, so a harder difficulty and faster traps greatly raise the tension and the fun. It's much harder than KSS, or any other Kirby game.

Getting through the Battlefield Fortress and Factory without using a "continue" is really satisfying. It doesn't lend itself to speed runs (not only the basic mechanics, the screen constantly locking to force combat, like in a beat 'em up, pretty much ruins that), but just surviving through those levels can be fun.

Llyranor

Psycho Penguin said:
I'll get Squeak Squad too while I am at it.
Er, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. That game was very average.

If anything, get 2 copies of KSSU like I did, then you can get a friend to co-op with you!

Sciz

kiryogi said:
Anyone have any freeze ups at all? I've frozen once in Gourmet race, and now just again in Great Cave D: D:
I managed to glitch out the palette of things like the RPG Battle boxes and Fatty Whale's wave, but that's the only bug I've run across.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Nothing like that happened to me and I played through everything. :( And some of the games multiple times...

Come to think of it, I also never had a problem with the music sounding too soft compared to the sound effects, even though Aeana, Cow Mengde, and SpacePirate Ridley all did. Hopefully it's not a production problem or something strange like that. D:

I haven't had any freezing issues or sound problems. The game runs smoothly for me and the fantastic music is perfectly audible in every instance.

I love this game and the new content is great, but I really wish they hadn't made it so darned easy. Kirby Super Star was an easy game already, but they toned down the difficulty to almost ridiculous levels this time. All the bosses and minibosses die so much faster than they used to, and Kirby's defence seems to have been upped as well. I remember spikes and lava inflicting a lot more damage in the original, for one.

And the new Arena is a joke. Replacing taken Maxim Tomatoes with ordinary tomatoes? Seriously? I thought the Arena was supposed to be hard.

Wonderful, wonderful game...but I'd love it so much more if it was just a bit harder.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
According to Sciz and Jiggy, you ain't seen anything yet.

Well, according to what the corkboard looks like, I've unlocked everything except for Samurai Kirby and I've played through everything except for Meta Knightmare Ultra (which I've started but not finished) and From Helper to Hero, which I imagine just unlocks Samurai Kirby. Of course, the game could very well have a surprise up its sleeve and I really hope it does. :D

Jiggy

Well, the thing about difficulty to me is that, with enough time, nearly any game will become easy to a person. I mean, you can see all the people struggling in that Mega Man 9 thread--and I had enormous trouble on my first playthrough too, but by now I have everything so committed to memory that it became an easy game to me.

So even though KSSU is pretty easy, I don't hold that against it much. Still edges out The World Ends With You and Dragon Quest IV as my favorite game this year. ♥ :D (Albeit not by much since those two are also totally incredible.)

I do wish that each game had a hard mode like Kirby's Adventure, though, with either reduced health for Kirby or increased health for the bosses. (The
Helper to Hero
mode kind of does that, or at least it seems so to me, but it's only one mode.) Or, again, having MM9-style challenges to fulfill could have been nice. Some of the stuff in the game would be rough if I had to go at it just with Kirby's default abilities, or speedrunning through some levels without stopping or getting hurt, or whatever.

But this is Nintendo, of course, and they don't even include that sort of thing as optional fun material unless their game is being made by some kind of external developer, like GameArts' challenges in Brawl or Artoon making it deviously difficult to get 100 scores on most of the levels in Yoshi's Island DS. (I'm someone who refused to move on to the next level in the original game without getting a 100 even on my first playthrough, but in YIDS I gave up after a while on some of those things. D:)

Jiggy37 said:

Ignore me. I just remembered I was fiddling around with the sound options while I was on the bus. It was kinda hard to hear and I forgot to bring headphones.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Well, the thing about difficulty to me is that, with enough time, nearly any game will become easy to a person. I mean, you can see all the people struggling in that Mega Man 9 thread--and I had enormous trouble on my first playthrough too, but by now I have everything so committed to memory that it became an easy game to me.

So even though KSSU is pretty easy, I don't hold that against it much. Still edges out The World Ends With You and Dragon Quest IV as my favorite game this year. ♥ :D (Albeit not by much since those two are also totally incredible.)

If Kirby Super Star Ultra had the same level of difficulty that the original Kirby Super Star had, I would have no problem. I, like you, have the original Kirby Super Star committed to memory and I rarely die in the original. My only problem with the difficulty is that HAL made the original games even easier than they were. They made an already easy game even easier. I used to occasionally die to bosses like Marx or Meta Knight, but now they die so much faster and inflict less damage to Kirby. My only deaths in this game are due to messing up in the auto-scrolling sections.

These complaints do not apply to the new extra games, which are significantly harder than the original games. I just didn't like how HAL toned down the difficulty of the original games.

KSSU is your personal GOTY? Well, it's definitely a strong contender on my list, but in the end...I gotta give it to the Blue Bomber. Mega Man 9 is just too good. And the DLC will make it even better. <3

Now let's see if Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia can score an upset!

Jiggy37 said:
I do wish that each game had a hard mode like Kirby's Adventure, though, with either reduced health for Kirby or increased health for the bosses. (The
Helper to Hero
mode kind of does that, or at least it seems so to me, but it's only one mode.)

Yeah, I would have loved a Kirby's Adventure-esque Hard Mode.
Helper to Hero does kind of fulfill that purpose too, and so does Meta Knightmare Ultra to an extent - Meta Knight seems to take more damage than Kirby does. I also have to say, I loved the twist ending of Helper to Hero. My stream-of-consciousness thoughts when playing it were something along the lines of "Wham Bam Rock is the final boss? That's kind of anti-climactic...WHAT THE HECK IS THAT" :lol

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
I love this game and the new content is great, but I really wish they hadn't made it so darned easy. Kirby Super Star was an easy game already, but they toned down the difficulty to almost ridiculous levels this time. All the bosses and minibosses die so much faster than they used to, and Kirby's defence seems to have been upped as well. I remember spikes and lava inflicting a lot more damage in the original, for one.
People keep saying this, but I really, really don't think it's actually true in most cases. Even my complaint about Kracko was unfounded. Which isn't to say that there aren't some differences; Beam has been slightly buffed (and it needed it, frankly. In contrast, Mirror Cut feels a hair slower.), and I've noticed the occasional instance where you used to be attacked without warning has been removed. But I'm almost certain that health and damage remains all but untouched. Some thorough experimenting with the RPG bosses should prove it one way or the other.

Iam Canadian said:
And the new Arena is a joke. Replacing taken Maxim Tomatoes with ordinary tomatoes? Seriously? I thought the Arena was supposed to be hard.

Wonderful, wonderful game...but I'd love it so much more if it was just a bit harder.
It's still a decent challenge, I'd say. A bit easier admittedly, but the extra health only amounts to one extra Maxim. And True Arena makes up for it by an order of magnitude.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
:D Had a blast with Revenge of the King and Meta Knight Ultra

Am I safe to assume the last boss in Meta Knight Ultra is called Galaxy Night like the movie, or is it named somewhere else? Also, anyone get the vibe that it was female?

When I was litlle I only get as far as completing Revenge of MK and half of The Great Cave Offensive (it was my uncle´s supernes, and I only went there at summer vacation)...
Yesterday I played Milky Way Whishes...

WOW.

Fucking WOW!

What an incredible game, from start to finish, Marx was an awesome final boss with an awesome theme. And the
R-type type game, I laugh so hard when I saw it, as incredible as the RPG boss

But KSS fans help me, I have a problem in the Great cave offensive.
At the start of the final area, were the wind is blowing, I cant find (or take) two treasures. I can get one of them, but the other two (i dont know if they are even in that area, I only think this beacuse of their position in the treasures screen) are impossible to find or If is where I think, impossible to get.

Just got it, it's very faithful to the original! It fixes all the problems with the original game's sluggish physics while still feeling like the original. Glad to see that the music is identical to the original and that the graphics haven't been altered too much (Slightly cleaned up and touched up, but very much the same art style and very close to the original. Only thing I don't really like is the CG FMV, still prefer the original 2D cutscenes) The level layouts, difficulty and all the little touches are 100% identical to the SNES version too!

This is a great remake, it's close enough to the original that I can comfortable say that it's just a better version of the same game and that was exactly what I wanted, this DS version can be considered a replacement for the original :D

Iam Canadian

Sciz said:
Bonkers is a beast in Helper to Hero. Smashed through it in 05:23:29 with health to spare. :lol

Hammer is a beast in general. You've got to love that utterly broken up-B move. :D

Nuclear Muffin said:
Just got it, it's very faithful to the original! It fixes all the problems with the original game's sluggish physics while still feeling like the original. Glad to see that the music is identical to the original and that the graphics haven't been altered too much (Slightly cleaned up and touched up, but very much the same art style and very close to the original. Only thing I don't really like is the CG FMV, still prefer the original 2D cutscenes) The level layouts, difficulty and all the little touches are 100% identical to the SNES version too!
I agree. It's bad enough that Kirby just doesn't carry over the charm in the transition to 3D, but the fact that the video isn't even full screen, and grossly compressed, I hope the next Kirby title keeps a sprite-based look.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
But KSS fans help me, I have a problem in the Great cave offensive.
At the start of the final area, were the wind is blowing, I cant find (or take) two treasures. I can get one of them, but the other two (i dont know if they are even in that area, I only think this beacuse of their position in the treasures screen) are impossible to find or If is where I think, impossible to get.

There's a Jet power up in the very room. Use it. It takes a few tries to get it.

What seems a little rare is that there are no voices for Kirby and Dedede in the game nor the cutscenes. Even the remake of Super Mario World for GBA had voice overs.

Cow Mengde said:
There's a Jet power up in the very room. Use it. It takes a few tries to get it.

If got one treasure with the jet power, but the other two that I cant find resist me. There are like some entrance at the sides (where the air is coming) but even if I can reach with the jet there, its impossible to enter.

Dont know even if the treasures are there.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
If Kirby Super Star Ultra had the same level of difficulty that the original Kirby Super Star had, I would have no problem. I, like you, have the original Kirby Super Star committed to memory and I rarely die in the original. My only problem with the difficulty is that HAL made the original games even easier than they were. They made an already easy game even easier. I used to occasionally die to bosses like Marx or Meta Knight, but now they die so much faster and inflict less damage to Kirby. My only deaths in this game are due to messing up in the auto-scrolling sections.
Well, as you know, pretty much 100% of my many criticisms of Nintendo this generation that aren't somehow related to Virtual Console are that they keep watering down either the difficulty or the complexity of franchises that already existed (...or both ;_;) as opposed to creating new franchises with which they could introduce simpler and more streamlined experiences.

But I don't know, I just didn't feel KSSU was much easier than the original and I wish I still owned the original so I could compare. I do seem to remember that the
Halberd reactor
used to take more hits, but I didn't feel like Kirby had more health than before.

KSSU is your personal GOTY? Well, it's definitely a strong contender on my list, but in the end...I gotta give it to the Blue Bomber. Mega Man 9 is just too good. And the DLC will make it even better. <3

Now let's see if Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia can score an upset!
In any era it would be pretty tough to compete against my eighth favorite game. :D Of course, Square-Enix looked at Nintendo and said "lol please" and decided to re-release my fifth favorite game, so goodbye to KSSU unless Chrono Trigger gets botched somehow. (DS: Conquering SNES by stealing several of its most excellent games and making them better.)

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is a definite dark horse for me, though, since Portrait of Ruin's sitting somewhere among my top 25 and that game didn't catch my attention at first glance nearly as much as OoE. The only problem is that, in order to ascend to those heights for me, OoE will need to either do the same thing as PoR by featuring a ludicrously fun character like Maria, or do something that PoR didn't by going above and beyond with its level design. And that's all assuming OoE still has an utterly flipping mind-blowing soundtrack like PoR, because if it doesn't have that then it's auto-doomed.

(And, of course, if Shanoa's sprite is wearing visible heels, then the post-game character unlocks better be phenomenal to compensate since I'd never touch the main game again! But Charlotte dodged that problem, with her sprite being fine even though her character art wasn't, so I'm holding out hope. D:)

SpacePirate Ridley said:
If got one treasure with the jet power, but the other two that I cant find resist me. There are like some entrance at the sides (where the air is coming) but even if I can reach with the jet there, its impossible to enter.

Dont know even if the treasures are there.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, then you take the
Ninja!
power and use its
down + B
attack in the air immediately after
dropping down from the platform above the wind section

On another note...

I envy you and anyone like you who are playing parts of Kirby Super Star (or all of it) for the first time. For anyone who hasn't experienced the puzzles of Great Cave Offensive, or the scenes of Revenge of Meta Knight, or the powers of Milky Way Wishes, it must be so awesome to feel like that instead of speedrunning everything. Or seeing the
RPG style
boss for the first time, and the
sidescrolling space shooter
section, and finding the
hidden power in Milky Way Wishes
(even though they made it a bit more obvious than before).

Not to downplay my experience at all, but--like with some my other favorite sidescrollers, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island--I sometimes wish I could rediscover everything in KSS with a sense of wonder instead of running from memory. Revenge of the King only cemented that wish, as I loved it so much and went crazy over the cool things they were doing there. &#9829;

Llyranor said:
Er, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. That game was very average.

If anything, get 2 copies of KSSU like I did, then you can get a friend to co-op with you!
Sir, your dislike blinds you--Squeak Squad is great.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
But I don't know, I just didn't feel KSSU was much easier than the original and I wish I still owned the original so I could compare. I do seem to remember that the
Halberd reactor
used to take more hits, but I didn't feel like Kirby had more health than before.

Maybe it is just my imagination, then. I think I'll run through the original again to be sure. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that the Halberd's Reactor has less health than before. But I think you may be right regarding the rest.

In all honesty, I think part of my remarks regarding the difficulty may have stemmed from the fact that I had just come off of Mega Man 9 going into Kirby Super Star. When I play Kirby Super Star with less of that Mega Man 9 induced tension and demand for pixel-perfect accuracy, it doesn't seem as disappointingly easy.

Jiggy37 said:
In any era it would be pretty tough to compete against my eighth favorite game. :D Of course, Square-Enix looked at Nintendo and said "lol please" and decided to re-release my fifth favorite game, so goodbye to KSSU unless Chrono Trigger gets botched somehow. (DS: Conquering SNES by stealing several of its most excellent games and making them better.)

You know, I used to think you were crazy for preferring the DS to the SNES, but at this rate...I don't know, by the time the DS' lifetime is said and done, I just may be agreeing with you. :D

Jiggy37 said:
Not to downplay my experience at all, but--like with some my other favorite sidescrollers, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island--I sometimes wish I could rediscover everything in KSS with a sense of wonder instead of running from memory. Revenge of the King only cemented that wish, as I loved it so much and went crazy over the cool things they were doing there. &#9829;

I definitely concur on that, Jiggy. My first Revenge of the King run was so awesome because it was all new and all awesome. :D I also loved all the little twists that the other new games threw...
Wham Bam Jewel, Galacta Knight, and the appearance of Marx's Soul at the end of The True Arena.
Kirby Super Star Ultra, for me, ranks up there with Mega Man: Powered Up as one of my all-time favourite remakes, and benefits even more than Mega Man: Powered Up did by being a remake of one of my favourite games of all time. :D The old content is as great as it ever was, and the new content is stupefyingly awesome.
And the True Arena nullifies any complaint I had about the difficulty. So unforgiving, I love it! :D

By the way, on an unrelated note, I like how
my Bonkers time in From Helper to Hero is literally two minutes faster than my second-best time (which is Plasma Wisp). Hammer is so broken. :D

Firestorm

You guys are finishing up and Canada Post is still being mean :(
Date Time Location Event Details
Sep 24 2008 04:23:00 PM MISSISSAUGA ON CA Arrival Scan
Sep 24 2008 03:40:00 PM MISSISSAUGA ON CA Shipment received by carrier
Sep 24 2008 12:51:00 PM MISSISSAUGA ON CA Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

Jiggy

In my continuing efforts to prove that I love Kirby Super Star more than every last one of you, I went ahead and started not only putting together a list of every song in the Sound Test, but giving them my own names. :D None of these are official titles in any way, and as you'll probably be able to tell, I'm mostly only familiar with the old songs and haven't yet figured out where all the new stuff plays.

Format:
Number in Sound Test - Jiggy's name (description of where you hear it)

Sound Test

General section
000 - ~Riding From the Sky~ (Kirby Super Star intro theme)
001 - Heart's Solace (save area and secret
planet
in Milky Way Wishes)
002 - Activities on a Bulletin Board (Kirby Super Star main menu)
003 - Menial Training (how-to explanations)

Spring Breeze section
004 - Greed and Gluttony (intro)
005 - In Celebration of a Hero's Departure (menu selection)
006 - Fields of Cheer (level 1: Green Greens)
007 - Lounging in the Tropics (level 2: Float Islands)
008 - Quiet World of White (level 3: Bubbly Clouds)
009 - Face Off with a Local Leader (boss battle)
010 - After a Storm, Stars (collecting stars after beating a boss)
011 - Shuffle On, Kirby! ~Spring Breeze Mix~ (level clear Kirby dance)
012 - The King of Dream Land Upon His Mountain (level 4: Mt. Dedede)
013 - (sound effect of King Dedede's defeat)
014 - (more sound effects of King Dedede's defeat)
015 - If Rain Could Be Candy~! (ending)

Dyna Blade section
016 - sound effects of intro
017 - Hope Ascends on Newborn Wings (menu)
018 - Mountain Climber's Consideration (world map)
019 - Highlands (Dyna Blade level 1: Peanut Plains, and Milky Way Wishes Grass Planet Flora)
020 - Longevity of the Ancient Majesty (level 2: Mallow Castle)
021 - Specifically Special Spelunking (Dyna Blade level 3: Cocoa Cave, and Milky Way Wishes Cave Planet Cavius)
022 - Mountain Rivers and Forest Flora (Dyna Blade level 4: Candy Mountain, Revenge of Meta Knight level 3, and Milky Way Wishes Wild Planet Skyhigh)
023 - Shuffle On, Kirby! ~Dyna Blade Mix~ (level clear Kirby dance)
024 - Fists Like Electricity (miniboss battle)
025 - Preparation Befitting a Duel (Trial Rooms)
026 - Scaling the Peak of Fear (level 5: Dyna Blade's Nest)
027 - Battle Between Those Who Would Protect Their Dreams (last boss battle)
028 - Youth and Recovery (ending)

Gourmet Race section
029 - Hectic Precedent (menu)
030 - (sound effects of Kirby sleeping)
031 - Declaration of a Race (intro)
032 - Initial Competition (race beginning fanfare)
033 - Gourmet Race (level 1: Pumpkin Grand and level 3: Onion Garden)
034 - Pride on an Obstacle Course (level 2: Corn Hall)
035 - (sound effect of drumroll for winner)
036 - (sound effect of drumroll's end)
037 - Delayed Elation (Kirby victory)
038 - Regrouping (Kirby loss)

Great Cave Offensive section
039 - Questing Soul (opening theme)
040 - Stranger in a Strange Under-Land (Great Cave Offensive section 1: Sub-Tree and section 3: Old Tower, and Milky Way Wishes Flame Planet Hotbeat)
041 - Trailblazing and Trailrazing (mine cart sections)
042 - Unearthed Wonder (section 2: Crystal and section 4: Garden)
043 - Face Off with a Local Leader ~
Turn-based
Mix~ (
RPG
boss battle, do not even dare highlight that if you haven't played the game before)
044 - (sound effects)
045 - Delayed Elation ~Great Cave Offensive Version~ (winning theme)

Revenge of Meta Knight section
046 - ?
047 - Omen For Duels (opening theme)
048 - Initial Attack on the Halberd! (Revenge of Meta Knight levels 1, 4, and 5, and Milky Way Wishes Machine Planet Mekkai)
049 - Tallying Warfare! (fanfare between levels)
050 - Kirby's Setback in the Islands (Revenge of Meta Knight level 2, and Milky Way Wishes Water Planet Aquarius)
051 - Versus the Secret Weapon (Heavy Lobster battle)
052 - Final Assault! To the Core, Kirby! (Revenge of Meta Knight level 6, and Milky Way Wishes Eternal Planet Halfmoon)
053 - Showdown of Warriors (last boss battle)
054 - Impending Destruction (CG scene after last boss battle)
055 - Meta Knight's Bold Pursuit (level 7)
056 - Sunset Over the Crumble of a Great Power (ending)

Milky Way Wishes section
057 - Ethereal Desires (opening theme)
058 - ?
059 - Journeying Through Space (level selection)
060 - Step of Progress (level clear)
061 - ?
062 - He's Not Jonah and That's Not a Whale (
space shooter
section)
063 - Beliefs Set to Speed Eight! (CG scene)
064 - For the Galaxy's Salvation (last boss battle)
065 - Triumph Rings Through the Universe (victory over the last boss)
066 - Calm Before the Party (ending credits)
067 - ?

Assorted stuff
068 - Hyper Speed Candy (invincibility theme)
069 - Folly (Kirby dies)
070 - ?
071 - Lazy Summer Day (sub-game menu)
072 - Focus For the Frivolous (Kirby Card Swipe tune)
073 - Card Game Under the Cherry Blossoms (Kirby Card Swipe results)
074 - For Honor, Prepare Yourself! (
Samurai Kirby
before the draw)
075 - Carnival of Absurdities (Kirby on the Draw tune)
076 - Factory Worker's Intensity, For the Endless Stomach (Snack Tracks tune)
077 - Overtime, Double Time, All the Time! (Snack Tracks final segment)
078 - ?
079 - ?
080 - ?
081 - ?
082 - Arrival of the Pink Terror (Arena intro)
083 - Face Off with a Local Leader ~Modern Gladiator Mix~ (Arena boss battle)

Revenge of the King
section

084 - ?
085 - Tune of the Mafia (intro tune)
086 - Resounding Thunder That Rises Above the Clouds (
Kabula
battle)
087 -
Clash of Hammers Under a Cage of Lightning
(
last boss
battle)
088 -
Sunset Over the Crumble of Another Great Power
(ending)

More assorted stuff
089 - ?
090 - Pink Terror in Peril (
True Arena
intro)
091 - To Crack a Planet (
Megaton Punch
theme)
092 - Determination of an Apprentice (
Helper to Hero
boss battle)
093 - ?
094 - ?
095 - ?
096 - ?
097 - ?
098 - ?
099 - ?
100 - Face Off with a Local Leader ~To Know Defeat and Seek Vengeance Mix~ (
True Arena
boss battle)
101 - Face Off with a Local Leader ~Calculated Mix~ (other
True Arena
boss battles)
102 - ?
103 - ?
104 - ?
105 - ?
106 - (sound effect)
107 - (sound effect)
108 - ?
109 - Shuffle On, Kirby! ~Stellar Mix~ (100% completion)

Iam Canadian

Oh, wow, I'm not the only one who gives titles to random video game songs. How about that?

I like the titles, Jiggy. :D

In other news, is it me, or did some of the original game's weaker abiltiies actually get buffed? I find myself getting more use out of Fire, Ice, and Jet than I used to. I was especially surprised to find Jet being almost useful since I considered it a worthless waste of an ability in the original. >_>

Oh, yes, and Ninja is still the most fun ability to use against Meta Knight. :D

Jiggy

I also thought Fire and Jet were better than before. I don't remember having so much trouble aiming Ice's air attack, though, but the infinite freeze move helps out a lot against stuff like Wham Bam Rock.

On a separate note, I finally hit 100% in absolutely everything in this game and unlocked one final secret. Which is
the original Kirby Super Star intro movies, although unfortunately they only seem to be viewable in the theater (D:)
. KSSU in whole probably took me ten hours, so I say bah to any reviewers complaining about length.

On another separate note, I just want to say right now that more than ever I admire how, during parts of Revenge of Meta Knight, Kirby Super Star/Ultra has handled text in a way that even I can appreciate. :D &#9829; By presenting some portions of the story literally while you're still playing and controlling Kirby, you've effectively got this situation where the crew's narration is concurrently explaining the methods of your madness. If stories need to be in gaming at all, this is exactly how I want them delivered, and I think that, in hindsight, it's astounding how far ahead of its time KSS was.

And that's just in terms of how they executed it technically. From a writing standpoint, I love how it really is only the perspective of the other characters, which leaves things almost purposely open-ended. You could get the impression that Kirby
built up a flawless plan for taking down the Halberd one section at a time
, or you could get the impression that Kirby
doesn't have any idea what he's doing but simply has enough raw destructive power to make it work anyway
. To be honest, I don't want to know what the "truth" is because it's so entertaining watching the crew debate over it.

Once again, all the highest praise~! &#9829;

Munin

For all intents and purposes, it is a brilliantly designed game. For me, it's really one of those few childhood-era titles I still love where the actual quality does not simply come from rose-tinted glasses.

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
Maybe it is just my imagination, then. I think I'll run through the original again to be sure. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that the Halberd's Reactor has less health than before. But I think you may be right regarding the rest.
The reactor has always taken three hits without a helper, four with. Everything gets a small health buff if you have one around. Again, the Combo Cannon is the only boss I'll swear got a nerf.

Iam Canadian said:
In other news, is it me, or did some of the original game's weaker abilities actually get buffed? I find myself getting more use out of Fire, Ice, and Jet than I used to. I was especially surprised to find Jet being almost useful since I considered it a worthless waste of an ability in the original. >_>
I think Fire is the same, speaking as someone who always liked it in KSS. Ice's only buff was getting infinite Freeze. Jet charges faster and who knows what else, I never used the thing. Wing got some range and damage buffs. Beam also got a damage buff.

And nice work, Jiggy. :D

Rezbit

One of the few perils of living in Australia...who knows when this game is coming? I actually whipped out the SNES to play the original and it still rocks. Is that adorable health sharing with your NPC still in it? It was a nice touch in the original.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
And that's just in terms of how they executed it technically. From a writing standpoint, I love how it really is only the perspective of the other characters, which leaves things almost purposely open-ended. You could get the impression that Kirby
built up a flawless plan for taking down the Halberd one section at a time
, or you could get the impression that Kirby
doesn't have any idea what he's doing but simply has enough raw destructive power to make it work anyway
. To be honest, I don't want to know what the "truth" is because it's so entertaining watching the crew debate over it.

You know, I'm not sure if this was HAL's intention or not, but playing through Revenge of Meta Knight and
Revenge of the King
, I find myself sympathizing with the alleged antagonists of the story a lot more than Kirby. Just from a characterization standpoint, they're not really being portrayed as villainous, just desparately trying to keep this merciless pink juggernaut from destroying them. I feel kind of bad for them, honestly,
especially when I have to take out King Dedede's Waddle Dee sidekick. Rest in peace, poor sidekick. ;_;

Rerzbit said:
One of the few perils of living in Australia...who knows when this game is coming? I actually whipped out the SNES to play the original and it still rocks. Is that adorable health sharing with your NPC still in it? It was a nice touch in the original

Sure is.

Every time I play KSS co-op with someone who's never played the game before, someone makes a comment along the lines of "is Kirby kissing that Plasma Wisp?" or something like that. :lol

Eternal_0

Iam Canadian said:
You know, I'm not sure if this was HAL's intention or not, but playing through Revenge of Meta Knight and
Revenge of the King
, I find myself sympathizing with the alleged antagonists of the story a lot more than Kirby. Just from a characterization standpoint, they're not really being portrayed as villainous, just desparately trying to keep this merciless pink juggernaut from destroying them. I feel kind of bad for them, honestly,
especially when I have to take out King Dedede's Waddle Dee sidekick. Rest in peace, poor sidekick. ;_;

I know what you mean, though they changed some of Meta Knight's lines in Revenge of Meta Knight to make him sound a bit less noble. The "We're finished. Do as you please." line comes to mind.

The Waddle Dee sidekick is the only one in the stands watching the fight. He was defeated, but not destroyed...unless Dedede has two Waddle Dee sidekicks. Either way, that little guy is faithful to the end. Oh, and it gives some validity to the Waddle Dee Arena battle.

Christopher

I always wanted to fight that bird captain in Revenge of Meta Knight...

Revenge of the King & Metanight Ultra are what Kirby Difficulties should be - the others at least should be given an option of being a bit harder...

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
Just from a characterization standpoint, they're not really being portrayed as villainous, just desperately trying to keep this merciless pink juggernaut from destroying them. I feel kind of bad for them, honestly.
No one in the main cast is really a villain, but they do occasionally do bad things, albeit sometimes with good intentions. In that respect I can't sympathize with them too much. Dedede gets some pity simply because Kirby tends to immediately go and beat the tar out of him every time something goes wrong, regardless of his personal involvement.

I'd love to see an entire game in the vein of Revenge of Meta Knight, at any rate. Or even an RPG; the supporting cast certainly has enough personality to pull it off.

Jiggy

Sciz said:
I'd love to see an entire game in the vein of Revenge of Meta Knight, at any rate. Or even an RPG; the supporting cast certainly has enough personality to pull it off.
And the music has enough amazingness to pull it off, too. &#9829; You read it here, Nintendo. Kirby RPG: make it happen! :D Just give me enemy encounters--random or not--that shift into a scene that plays out like Kirby Super Star with stats and we'd be in good shape.

Also, because of Milky Way Wishes, I want a Kirby
space shooter
so much. It'd be so potentially great, and if anyone could bring some mainstream interest back into that game genre, it would be Nintendo. D:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, like Psycho Penguin, I wasn't sure of the whole "Minigame Compilation" idea and would have preferred a more straightforward adventure.

But I have to say, this game is beautiful. The sprites are possibly the best I've ever seen of the 16-bit variety, so colorful and crisp. And the game as whole... I'd probably say it's the best platformer on the Nintendo DS, but then again I haven't beaten it yet. It's going to have to do a lot of disappointing things for me to knock it from that spot, though.

tl;dr: I'm glad I got this game instead of Dementium.

Iam Canadian said:
Sure is.

Every time I play KSS co-op with someone who's never played the game before, someone makes a comment along the lines of "is Kirby kissing that Plasma Wisp?" or something like that. :lol

I made quite an O face when I figured out that's why the game paused whenever the two came into contact. Before that I was like "wtf, why is this game glitching out?"

It's so adorable. ^_^

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
;-; I haven't been able to beat the True arena yet. Damn you
Galactic Knight
! I want to see how the final boss looks ;-; Though I will push on, if I can beat Kirby's Adventure arena, I can beat this.

Don't feel that bad, it was obliviously a decoy, as the real one is in the background in the arena charing Dedede on

Fireblend

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
And the music has enough amazingness to pull it off, too. &#9829; You read it here, Nintendo. Kirby RPG: make it happen! :D Just give me enemy encounters--random or not--that shift into a scene that plays out like Kirby Super Star with stats and we'd be in good shape.

space shooter
so much. It'd be so potentially great, and if anyone could bring some mainstream interest back into that game genre, it would be Nintendo. D:
I totally agree. Get to it, Nintendo
as soon as Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble Wii is out
!

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
space shooter
Sure. It wouldn't be hard to incorporate the traditional ability stealing either.

And anything that could potentially give me more of
Kabula (massive nostalgia trip, thank you HAL)
and Nightmare is great in my book.

Jiggy

Updated the song list:

-Heart's Solace (save area theme): noted that it also plays for the secret
planet
in Milky Way Wishes

-Highlands (DB level 1): noted that it also plays for Grass Planet Flora in Milky Way Wishes
-Specifically Special Spelunking (DB level 3): noted that it also plays for Cave Planet Cavius in Milky Way Wishes
-Mountain Rivers and Forest Flora (DB level 4): noted that it also plays for Wild Planet Skyhigh in Milky Way Wishes
-Preparation Befitting a Duel (DB Trial Rooms): discovered that it doesn't play in the Arena, though I seem to remember that it did in the original KSS

-Stranger in a Strange Under-Land (GCO sections 1 and 3): noted that it also plays for Flame Planet Hotbeat in Milky Way Wishes
-Initial Attack on the Halberd! (RoMK levels 1/4/5): noted that it also plays for Machine Planet Mekkai in RoMK
-Kirby's Setback in the Islands (RoMK level 2): noted that it also plays for Water Planet Aquarius in Milky Way Wishes
-Final Assault! To the Core, Kirby! (RoMK level 6): noted that it also plays for Eternal Planet Halfmoon in Milky Way Wishes

If anyone can figure out where some of those entirely missing songs came from, let me know.

Iam Canadian

Drkirby said:
Don't feel that bad, it was obliviously a decoy, as the real one is in the background in the arena charing Dedede on

Or maybe it's the other way around! :O

Jiggy

In case anybody else in the world can appreciate the brilliant idea of live, competitive speedrunning through a single game of Kirby Super Star, I invite you to #gaf_wfc. (Not my idea, but Iam Canadian's. It took us just over 20 minutes to blast through Revenge of Meta Knight on a no-power run!)

And it's not just about speedruns. Feel free to join us to talk about Mega Man 9 too, since right now KSSU and MM9 are pretty much the extent of what we discuss in there, though obviously we change as new major releases hit. :p Like we'll probably talk about Chrono Trigger when it comes time for that, or Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, or what-have-you. It's mostly active at nights when everyone's done with school or work, though, so don't expect it to always be full or anything.

And no spoilers, please, as some people are still waiting for their KSSU copies in the mail. D: (Hi, Halycon and Firestorm.)

Information about #gaf_wfc copied from Nabster's post in one of the Brawl threads:

nabster92 said:
server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_wfc

One web based method of getting on:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_wfc as the channel name.

Chatzilla seems to work as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

And this is another link to a web based version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=...oom=#GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.
I also assure you that absolutely nobody in there could possibly be considered creepy except for Halycon, Rotanibor_Eht, Volcynika, Iam Canadian, ruffles, and especially that dodgy Jiggy person.

Top Bottom