• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Kirby Superstar Ultra Thread that poops on Subspace Emissary

Firestorm

Spoilers? I've highlighted almost everything in this topic already.
Hm. I'm now wondering if pre-ordering Tales of Symphonia: DotNW on Amazon was the right choice.

HUELEN10

Jiggy37 said:
In case anybody else in the world can appreciate the brilliant idea of live, competitive speedrunning through a single game of Kirby Super Star, I invite you to #gaf_wfc. (Not my idea, but Iam Canadian's. It took us just over 20 minutes to blast through Revenge of Meta Knight on a no-power run!)

And it's not just about speedruns. Feel free to join us to talk about Mega Man 9 too, since right now KSSU and MM9 are pretty much the extent of what we discuss in there, though obviously we change as new major releases hit. :p Like we'll probably talk about Chrono Trigger when it comes time for that, or Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, or what-have-you. It's mostly active at nights when everyone's done with school or work, though, so don't expect it to always be full or anything.

And no spoilers, please, as some people are still waiting for their KSSU copies in the mail. D: (Hi, Halycon and Firestorm.)

Information about #gaf_wfc copied from Nabster's post in one of the Brawl threads:

Nabster92 said:
We made an irc channel for us gaffers playing nintendo wi-fi stuff.

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_wfc

One web based method of getting on:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_wfc as the channel name.

Chatzilla seems to work as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

And this is another link to a web based version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=...oom=#GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

Makes things a lot more convenient to set up games and stuff.

Come to us new gaf smashers, Lot more convenient to find someone to play.

I also assure you that absolutely nobody in there could possibly be considered creepy except for Halycon, Rotanibor_Eht, Volcynika, Iam Canadian, ruffles, and especially that dodgy Jiggy person.
:lol

I am there!

Jiggy

I say add IRC details to the OP! :D Competitive speedrunning madness for all, or even help with Great Cave Offensive puzzles, or whatever. Or just general shooting the breeze.

Firestorm said:
Hm. I'm now wondering if pre-ordering Tales of Symphonia: DotNW on Amazon was the right choice.
Given what I've watched, I'm almost dead convinced I'm going to not like it much--unless of course they fixed all the loading issues from the Japanese version with the extra five months they've been taking, but I don't have much hope there.

And yet I'm buying it anyway. D: 27,964 characters of potential trolling, here we come! :(

Munin

Just finished Revenge of Meta Knight. Probably the most enjoyable and exciting burst of 30 minutes platforming action ever made. Probably my favourite KSS game - as some others have mentioned, the "story" plays a good part in this as well, and the way the dialogue is delivered - although, is it just me, or have they changed a good part of it out of "appears while playing" into "must click through it first"? Or was it always weighted like that?

And especially for that game, I wish they'd have kept the old 2D cutscenes. Oh well.

I think in a lot of ways, the whole subgame design allowed HAL to really focus and make the most out of each and every game included in KSS. A Revenge of Meta Knight that goes on for 5 hours would be pretty unexciting. I do wish they would have made it more difficult - maybe as a first time player, the time pressure is actually effective, but of course, as a KSS veteran, you know that the whole ordeal is going to be rather easy anyway. Still, overall, just a fantastic game.

Hero

While I love the sprites for the Kirby games, I would kill to see a quality 2D Kirby game on Wii that uses the same techniques that Wario Land Shake Dimension or what not. Paper Kirby maybe? That'd be awesome.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Munin said:
Just finished Revenge of Meta Knight. Probably the most enjoyable and exciting burst of 30 minutes platforming action ever made. Probably my favourite KSS game - as some others have mentioned, the "story" plays a good part in this as well, and the way the dialogue is delivered - although, is it just me, or have they changed a good part of it out of "appears while playing" into "must click through it first"? Or was it always weighted like that?

I think you had to click through most of the text in the original. I think the ratio of text you click through to text that goes by as you play is the same.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hero said:
While I love the sprites for the Kirby games, I would kill to see a quality 2D Kirby game on Wii that uses the same techniques that Wario Land Shake Dimension or what not. Paper Kirby maybe? That'd be awesome.

I'd do the same for a Mario, Metroid, or even a Donkey Kong game like that... we need more animated games.

Firestorm

08-5.jpg

Got it!

Jiggy

In this thread we list our best times in
Helper to Hero
after we get to it. I only beat it once per listing unless otherwise noted. I beat it twice per listing unless otherwise noted.

Code:
[spoiler]Knuckle Joe[/spoiler]:         9:13:69
[spoiler]Parasol Waddle Dee[/spoiler]:  8:14:97
[spoiler]Chilly[/spoiler]:              7:57:35
[spoiler]Blade Knight[/spoiler]:        8:23:97
[spoiler]Simirror[/spoiler]:            8:45:59
[spoiler]Sir Kibble[/spoiler]:         10:48:92
[spoiler]Plasma Wisp[/spoiler]:         8:12:92
[spoiler]Waddle Doo[/spoiler]:          7:44:67
[spoiler]Poppy Bro Jr.[/spoiler]:       8:48:14
[spoiler]Gim[/spoiler]:                 8:22:62
[spoiler]Birdon[/spoiler]:              8:10:74
[spoiler]Bio Spark[/spoiler]:           7:23:65
[spoiler]Bonkers[/spoiler]:             5:10:97
[spoiler]Burning Leo[/spoiler]:         8:50:30
[spoiler]Capsule J2[/spoiler]:          7:50:65
[spoiler]Bugzzy[/spoiler]:              7:16:40 (seven runs)
[spoiler]TAC[/spoiler]:                 7:42:79 (three runs)
[spoiler]Wheelie[/spoiler]:            10:12:85
[spoiler]Rocky[/spoiler]:               6:55:14
[spoiler]Sword Knight[/spoiler]:        8:41:47

Counting all runs (including those not listed here), Excel tells me that I've spent 6:45:11:70 in this mode. That said, Excel's being somewhat of a pain and rounding my milliseconds, so it may not be exactly accurate, but yeah. Infinity replay value!

Edit: Cut my
Simirror
run by ten seconds, as I guess I'd done pretty well that first time. On the other hand,
Waddle Doo
dropped by over 2:35 now that I know what I'm doing. :O

Edit 2: Cut my
Blade Knight
run by about 40 seconds and
Capsule J2
by about 1:15.

Edit 3:
Parasol Waddle Dee
drops by 1:35, while
Chilly
goes down exactly one minute and twenty milliseconds.
Plasma Wisp
gets significant improvement just three seconds shy of two minutes, and likewise
Poppy Bro Jr.
went only six seconds shy of two minutes better. I did four more runs with
my very favorite, Bugzzy
, but only shaved off 1.5 seconds--which happened on my sixth run, incidentally, not my seventh.

Iam Canadian

I had a particularly awesome Bonkers run today: 4:45:35. And this is even in spite of a sloppy Wham Bam Jewel fight.

Most of my other runs are pretty bad, as I only went for completion and not time (but I'll be going back for time attacks later, I just had to get my strategies worked out first), but my Rocky (7:05:07) and Plasma Wisp (8:42:90) runs aren't bad.

Oh, and why stop at From Helper to Hero, Jiggy? How about some high scores in other modes?

Gourmet Race Course 1: 0:20:37
Gourmet Race Course 2: 0:33:97 (lots of room for improvement here)
The Arena: 9:27:09
The True Arena: 5:38:35

In conclusion, I suck at time attacks.

Oh, yeah, one last addendum I just remembered. I think Fatty Whale was designed specifically to annoy people doing Suplex/Bugzzy runs, as everything he does messes up my winning strategy of spamming his aerial down-B attack.

Konig94

Neo Member
I just picked this game up and fell instantly in love with the first mode because of how similar it is to dreamland on Gameboy, which I beat countless times. I can't wait to start some of the other modes.

Jiggy

Konig94 said:
I just picked this game up and fell instantly in love with the first mode because of how similar it is to dreamland on Gameboy, which I beat countless times. I can't wait to start some of the other modes.
Just wait until you--

Oh man, can't even spoil that, but you've got some awesome ahead. :D But yeah, both Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Adventure had a tribute to the original Kirby's Dream Land... KSS begins with it while KA ends with it.

Iam Canadian said:
[stuff that was in spoiler tags]
Okay, good point.

Gourmet Race
Course 1 - 00:20:70
Course 2 - 00:33:07
Course 3 - 00:45:69

Revenge of Meta Knight
Best time 17892 (whatever that means D:)

The Arena
Best time - 07:08:52
And I don't use helpers, by the way. :p

The True Arena
Best time - 10:02:65

Meta Knightmare Ultra
Best time 0:38:27:81
Level 1 - 03:05:82
Level 2 - 07:11:69
Level 3 - 05:07:99
Level 4 - 10:16:04
Level 5 - 12:46:27

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
And I don't use helpers, by the way. :p

Real men don't use helpers. :D

Except in co-op, of course.

Also, I like how our Gourmet Race course times are so frighteningly close.

Anyway, since I missed a few modes in my first post...

Revenge of Meta Knight: Best time 15804 (which was probably not from our race, since you beat me and your best time is higher than mine.)

Meta Knightmare Ultra:
Best Time: 0:50:59:13 (absolutely awful, I need to do another run of this.)
Level 1: 9:05:15
Level 2: 8:25:92
Level 3: 7:39:79
Level 4: 12:42:00
Level 5: 18:06:27

Just started playing the game.

One thing I really like is that I know I love this Kirby game since I played it on the SNES with a friend, but that I don't remember much of it, so it's like a whole new experience :D

I'm currently on The Great Cave Offensive, and just got through that boss fight that plays out like an RPG battle :lol I loved the "You gained[...]EXP. (Not that it matters)" :lol

Anyway, I came in here to ask a question: how do I make an A.I. helper hold on to me in the air? There's a chest that eludes me at the moment because of a strong air current, and even the plane/jet and bird power-ups can't get past; I suspect that by making him grab me I can get through the current...

EDIT: Well, I'm done with it...I thought I did better than I did =/ I only got 37 out of 60 treasures :( My score was 4,344,440. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice a particular item: Ramia's Scale...anyone think Nintendo screwed up and meant Lamia?

Jiggy

#gaf_wfc leveled up
members went up by 4
permanent members went up by...
vision hazy
ask again later

Iam Canadian said:
Meta Knightmare Ultra
:
Best Time: 0:50:59:13 (absolutely awful, I need to do another run of this.)
My first run was like 49 minutes or something--what I posted was the result of my second playthrough after getting acquainted with all the abilities. Don't feel too bad. :D

dragonlife29 said:
Just started playing the game.

One thing I really like is that I know I love this Kirby game since I played it on the SNES with a friend, but that I don't remember much of it, so it's like a whole new experience :D
That must be so awesome. :O I'd like to not remember everything. ;_; I can 60/60 Great Cave Offensive without even thinking about what I'm doing, as I hadn't seen KSS in like six years and still remembered everything. D:

Anyway, I came in here to ask a question: how do I make an A.I. helper hold on to me in the air? There's a chest that eludes me at the moment because of a strong air current, and even the plane/jet and bird power-ups can't get past; I suspect that by making him grab me I can get through the current...
It's the other powerup in that room that's important
. :D

Iam Canadian

Hey, quick question.

I just got around to picking up that last Milky Way Wishes power I missed and got 100% on my file today, but there's still one video missing in my list. Anyone know how to unlock it? I can't be having an empty slot in my list, after all.

Jiggy

You get
the last video
by getting 100% on literally everything in the game. Not 100% according to what the menu says--but 100% on literally everything. :D

If that's too vague, then here's the clearest explanation:
beat Helper to Hero with everyone

Edit:
Something I really wanted to say about KSSU right now--or KSS in general, really.

The more I play it--and I've played it for probably at least a hundred hours between the SNES game and this--the more I appreciate its layout. If I could compare games to books for a moment, then most games would be a novel, or a single unified and cohesive experience. The games we call minigame collections, such as WarioWare or any number of track and field games, would be more like collections of poetry, with each minigame being a brief blurb.

But KSS shoots for a route very rarely repeated, which is the game equivalent of a collection of short stories. And I have the highest respect for the fact that they not only made minigames of 4-8 levels feel reasonably complete in and of themselves, but did this several times consecutively in a single title. It's so well-executed and so rarely-done and I'd love to see more companies try it. For as much as I love and extol Kirby Super Star all the time, I don't think it's lightning in a bottle to the degree that nothing like it could ever be repeated again--and I'd like to see people try, because there's legitimately not much else quite like it.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
You get
the last video
by getting 100% on literally everything in the game. Not 100% according to what the menu says--but 100% on literally everything. :D

If that's too vague, then here's the clearest explanation:
beat Helper to Hero with everyone

Ohhh, so that's it.

Alright, Capsule J2, let's try this again. :/

Jiggy37 said:
The more I play is--and I've played it for probably at least a hundred hours between the SNES game and this--the more I appreciate its layout. If I could compare games to books for a moment, then most games would be a novel, or a single unified and cohesive experience. The games we call minigame collections, such as WarioWare or any number of track and field games, would be more like collections of poetry, with each minigame being a brief blurb.

But KSS shoots for a route very rarely repeated, which is the game equivalent of a collection of short stories. And I have the highest respect for the fact that they not only made minigames of 4-8 levels feel reasonably complete in and of themselves, but did this several times consecutively in a single title. It's so well-executed and so rarely-done and I'd love to see more companies try it. For as much as I love and extol Kirby Super Star all the time, I don't think it's lightning in a bottle to the degree that nothing like it could ever be repeated again--and I'd like to see people try, because there's legitimately not much else quite like it.

I agree with this, and this is what I've been talking about when I say that Kirby Super Star isn't really as simple as a bunch of traditional Kirby levels that HAL took and broke into twenty-minute long, bite-size chunks. Each minigame really does offer a different experience, just in a very short and concise manner, in the same vein as a short story would, as you eloquently point out.

I'd like to see something like Kirby Super Star tried with a different franchise, or maybe even an entirely new one. Kirby is a versatile enough character to take all the different approaches to action platforming that Kirby Super Star does, but I'm not sure how many other series could attempt this same kind of variation without losing the essence of its gameplay. But Kirby does it spectacularly.

Or maybe Nintendo could just make Kirby Super Star 2. I could live with that. :D

Munin

Based on the current experience with sequels to Nintendo classics...Yoshi's Island DS says hi...I'd rather they'd leave it alone.

Jiggy

Well, Nintendo did already botch Kirby once with Dreamland 3 and then again with Kirby 64, but
Revenge of the King
in here is so well-handled--even if it's not many levels--that I want to believe again. ;_;

And I loved Yoshi's Island DS, though I sold it off like two months after beating it just because I knew I'd never go back--its impeccably boring music and goofy tendency to expect players to have the right baby even when there are no switches around ruined its replayability despite the totally solid game engine.

As long as they could avoid those kinds of things with a KSS2, it might work out. Maybe. Again, I want to believe. ;_;

Iam Canadian said:
Kirby is a versatile enough character to take all the different approaches to action platforming that Kirby Super Star does, but I'm not sure how many other series could attempt this same kind of variation without losing the essence of its gameplay. But Kirby does it spectacularly.
True, it's not like every character has the ability to fly infinitely for free or switch between more than a dozen and a half powers. These kinds of things really change the dynamics of what can be done.

Munin

Is it just me and my faulty, overly critical memory again, or did they gimp the shmup level in Milkyway Wishes? I remember controlling the last part, where it speeds up, myself, instead of the instant fade to the boss section.

Then played Revenge of the King...at first I thought it was a whole new game, turns out it's just a Spring Breeze palette switch with some higher difficulty. Couldn't they have made a a few new levels, considering they already did new art? Oh well. But I like what they did with the final Dedede Stage (even though it apes Revenge of Meta Knight too obviously).

Iam Canadian

Munin said:
Is it just me and my faulty, overly critical memory again, or did they gimp the shmup level in Milkyway Wishes? I remember controlling the last part, where it speeds up, myself, instead of the instant fade to the boss section.

No, I'm pretty sure you couldn't control the part where it speeds up.

Munin said:
Then played Revenge of the King...at first I thought it was a whole new game, turns out it's just a Spring Breeze palette switch with some higher difficulty. Couldn't they have made a a few new levels, considering they already did new art? Oh well. But I like what they did with the final Dedede Stage (even though it apes Revenge of Meta Knight too obviously).

Well, while the graphics and music are from Spring Breeze, the level layouts are all new (except for a few sections), so I can't fault it too much for that. I was hoping for a full-length Castle Lololo level, like in the original Kirby's Dream Land, especially since the Castle Lololo music is already in the game (in the form of the boss music for Dyna Blade and Wham Bam Rock), but what we got was still good.

And of course the final stage apes Revenge of Meta Knight; that's what makes it awesome! :D

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm almost finished with this game (still need to find some treasures) and I gotta say I don't get the love.

My first Kirby game was the mirror ball one for DS and I thought it was AMAZING. I'd played a little of GB, SNES Kirby back in the day but I never owned any of them. I liked Kirby as a character from SSBB and Sakurai is a fantastic dev, so I thought I'd really dig Superstar.

But it's just kinda...meh. Like there's no challenge whatsoever and for me that just kept the platforming games from being anything more than "cute colorful graphics & nice music". Getting all the abilities and trying their movesets was fun, but after you've seen the moves it's like...what's the point. You just move to the end and hit attack when you see an enemy. The bosses were a joke too. It wasn't terrible, but it was just kinda not really engaging since it took almost no effort.

Then the treasure game. Good idea in principle as I'm always a fan of metroid rips, but with A) No way to quickly get from one distant level to another & most importantly
B) No useful Metroid/CV map so you can at least tell what doors you've been in and what treasures you've gotten.
...it just makes finding all 60 treasures time consuming but not necessarily challenging.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fun game with really nice sprite animations, great music, and cool core gameplay of absorbing abilities, but the level design is so bland and the challenge is so not there, that it just didn't elevate itself to a game that I would have left being really glad I finally sat down and played it. I was expecting something memorable, but instead I got a decent time killer for a week or two.

*shrug*

Jiggy

Well, certainly anyone looking for difficulty isn't going to find it anywhere here except for the last thing that's unlocked, that much is true. And the design is more centered around the action than the platforming--I think that a game like, say, Mega Man could be called a platformer a lot sooner than KSS since the terrain plays a significantly greater role in how players get hurt or die.

So, yeah, it's definitely not going to blow away everybody.

But as for me personally, I tend to not look for difficulty. I'm a huge, huge fan of replaying games (if a game isn't replayable to me, then a B+ is the upper limit of what I'd ever consider it to be) and almost anything becomes easy if I go through it enough, so whether a game is rough the first time doesn't matter to me much.

It means everything to me, though, whether a game is mostly the same experience on my second playthrough as on my first, though. And in KSS I never do feel like it's the same thing no matter how many times I blast through. The powers are so freely distributed and so numerous and have so many moves each that inevitably I'll be doing lots of different maneuvers than whatever I did on my last time through. (Assuming I'm using the powers at all... I may not be, or I may just be sticking to one of them.)

If I had to boil it down, I'd say that I simply find a certain beauty in a game that tosses enough moves at me to almost make it a build-your-own sort of experience, a game that tends to be whatever I make of it. (And probably not coincidentally, most of my favorite games of any kind feature at least one of these features: dozens of moves, great numbers of playable characters, extensive gameplay customization, create-a-character, or tons of multiplayer settings.)

Am I the only one disappointed in that
there are no truly new modes? I would have liked to see ANOTHER twist in the game's mechanics (ie standard, then world map, then non-linear, then timed, then collect-a-thon), like if they based it on KDL2 and 3).

Got it on Friday. While I have played through the SNES version, I don't remember much, so it's almost like a new experience.

So far done Spring Breeze, Dyna Blade, The Great Cave Offensive*, Gourmet Race and Revenge of Meta Knight. Next is Milky Way Wishes.
*57/60 treasures. I know where 2 of them are, but I have no idea how to get to them. I'll have to experiment with the powers. And find the third missing one (at least I know roughly were it should be by its position in the treasure list).

I beat up till level 2 of the Sub-Games. Level 3 is pretty hard on all three of them. Then again they don't count toward the completition percentage, so there's no much incentive.

Bebpo

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Well, certainly anyone looking for difficulty isn't going to find it anywhere here except for the last thing that's unlocked, that much is true. And the design is more centered around the action than the platforming--I think that a game like, say, Mega Man could be called a platformer a lot sooner than KSS since the terrain plays a significantly greater role in how players get hurt or die.

So, yeah, it's definitely not going to blow away everybody.

But as for me personally, I tend to not look for difficulty. I'm a huge, huge fan of replaying games (if a game isn't replayable to me, then a B+ is the upper limit of what I'd ever consider it to be) and almost anything becomes easy if I go through it enough, so whether a game is rough the first time doesn't matter to me much.

It means everything to me, though, whether a game is mostly the same experience on my second playthrough as on my first, though. And in KSS I never do feel like it's the same thing no matter how many times I blast through. The powers are so freely distributed and so numerous and have so many moves each that inevitably I'll be doing lots of different maneuvers than whatever I did on my last time through. (Assuming I'm using the powers at all... I may not be, or I may just be sticking to one of them.)

If I had to boil it down, I'd say that I simply find a certain beauty in a game that tosses enough moves at me to almost make it a build-your-own sort of experience, a game that tends to be whatever I make of it. (And probably not coincidentally, most of my favorite games of any kind feature at least one of these features: dozens of moves, great numbers of playable characters, extensive gameplay customization, create-a-character, or tons of multiplayer settings.)

Fair enough. But my issue is that the rooms are so small and linear I don't feel like it's as open and replayable of game as you make it sound like. The rooms are just so small and simple. I started playing Meta-Knight's revenge and I'm finding it a lot more fun, especially the bosses because you actually have to learn their moves and dodge them unlike the normal version where they die before they can even hurt you. It's still not at the level of challenge I'd want from an action game or a platformer. But it's certainly enjoyable on this difficulty.

Jiggy

Oh, if you were only through Great Cave Offensive, then all I'll say for now is that I think Spring Breeze and Dyna Blade are definitely the weak points of KSS. GCO isn't its most replayable point either, but at least some of the rooms can be taken out of order and it does make fuller use of the movesets than any of the other games.

I do think Revenge of Meta Knight, Milky Way Wishes, and
The Arena
are where it's at for the original game, and I'd call the new stuff even better than those. I'll be curious to see what you think of
Revenge of the King
when you get to that, too, since it basically saved Spring Breeze for me.

(While I'm at it, it's nice to hear from a first-time Kirby player... We had a couple first-time Super Star players, but I don't remember seeing any thoughts from people totally new to the traditional series.)

All that said, even for those modes I do think (and was just saying to someone last night) that KSS could have been boosted several times over if there was just an option menu somewhere with a health slider from 100%-500% health for bosses. Or heck, in Spring Breeze and Dyna Blade it may as well shoot up to 1000% health since KSS really led off with the wusses.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Am I the only one disappointed in that
there are no truly new modes? I would have liked to see ANOTHER twist in the game's mechanics (ie standard, then world map, then non-linear, then timed, then collect-a-thon), like if they based it on KDL2 and 3).
I kind of was, but then I thought about it and I'm not sure I would have
trusted them to add anything completely original to the game other than bosses
since it's been a while since a HAL-developed Kirby and I did want them to keep the consistency. So I'm still undecided, basically, though I really do love that
Revenge of the King
mode. It's not a
twist on the mechanics
, but I do think it strung together pretty much every good thing about the original KSS into one short-but-sweet experience, other than lacking a GCO-style puzzle or two.

Whatever HAL's been doing, hopefully the next new game will be great... Whether it's on DS or it's that GC/Wii game they've been rumbling about for years.

Bebpo

Banned
Does anything happen if you get all the treasures in the great cave game? Also are there more than 1 boss for each section depending on the route? There were multiple doors everywhere in that mode and it was too confusing to follow where they all went without taking out a piece of paper and drawing a map (I need my auto-mapping :p)

Also I was kinda confused. I thought Meta-Knight Revenge & Milky Way were the new DS modes that were harder versions of the previous modes. Glad to know there are still 4 modes to play.

Firestorm

Revenge of Meta Knight and Milky Way Wishes were in the original. The two new game modes are Revenge of the King and Meta Knight Ultra.

Jiggy

Yeah, I'd like to know what in the world Nintendo was thinking by naming their new adventures Revenge of the King and Meta Knightmare Ultra in a game that already has something titled Revenge of Meta Knight. Shouldn't take a genius to see that it's a recipe for confusion, hello. :(

(On the bright side, at least their stupid name convention helped expose that Gamedaily review we already talked about.)

Bebpo said:
Does anything happen if you get all the treasures in the great cave game? Also are there more than 1 boss for each section depending on the route? There were multiple doors everywhere in that mode and it was too confusing to follow where they all went without taking out a piece of paper and drawing a map (I need my auto-mapping :p)
I don't think anything unique comes from getting all the treasures, but I already knew where they all were and picked them up, so admittedly I'm not entirely sure... But it probably just changes the completion percent on the main menu.

Each section only had one boss, with Old Tower being the only boss that's skippable. Actually, that section is skippable, and it's also the odd one out... In the other three sections, every door is either the correct way to go, a dead end with treasure, or an explorable place that ends with a loop back to where it came from. If you go into every door, you'll get everything and there'll be no detours along the way, in those sections.

But in Old Tower there's a whole mess of circular chains of rooms, plus some one-way doors here and there, and even I can still get lost in that section. Agree, we should have gotten a better map system. :/

Firestorm said:
The two new game modes are Revenge of the King and Meta Knight Ultra.
Well, those are the two new adventure modes anyway. That still leaves
Helper to Hero
and
The True Arena
, and I think at least 65% of my game time has been spent between those two. Yay speedrunning.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Good game. Canvas Curse is still the superior Kirby experience, even if this is the defining experience redefined

Munin

I'm having lots of fun with Helper to Hero. The difficulty is just really nice. Makes me wish for a harder all-new subgame all the more, but yeah, it's still fun.

While I've been enjoying SU, after playing it a while I think they really should've sold this at $20. It SEEMS like a lot of game in one cart, but really you can blast through it fairly quickly. The difficulty seems a bit too low. I do enjoy that I can play the game without focusing too much, though.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
Yes but for some odd reason you all call those modes spoilers >.>

Well, why not? They're all new, unlockable pieces of content, so I think most definitions of the word "spoiler" would include
From Helper to Hero and The True Arena.

Sciz

You can blast through almost any action game quickly. The fun of Kirby is playing it again and again, since you have something on the order of eight dozen different moves to kill stuff with.

Did Milky Way Wishes, then found the last 3 treasures in The Great Cave Offensive.*
Later was time for
Revenge Of The King & Meta Knightmare Ultra (love using Meta Knight, he needs his own game).
I usually suck at the boss rush in Kirby games (I only finished it on Squeak Squad), but I beat the Arena on the first try although I screwed up more than once.
The True Arena kicked my ass on the 7th battle though ;_;. Beat Helper-to-Hero only with the cheapo Rocky, gonna be tough with most others

98% so far.

*I went to my old SNES save to see if I had any of the remaining ones.
I did have one (located in the first room of Crystal). I got to it very easily with the Jet power, then I tried to replicate the same in the DS version and it was more difficult. Either they gimped it or the wind current is stronger. Also I noticed that the helpers in the DS version are more intelligent, at least Bonkers pounded a wooden stake whereas in the SNES it just stood there.

Well I haven't been playing much these past days but I got 100% today.

I first did Helper to Hero mode with all characters. At first I was getting owned with everyone except Rocky and Bonkers but with practice it got easier. Last one was Burning Leo; he sucks for the last fight. The unlocked trailer only shows the introduction movies, not the endings :(

The True Arena was very tough... I usually get killed against Galackta Night. I only beat it because I had the rock power for the last two fights, and I took it VERY slowly and cautiously. My time is 19:25, that says it all. I'll probably play this some more to see if I can get a better time.

Oh well this topic is dead.

Bebpo

Banned
The last stage of Milky Way Wishes
being a shmup was unexpected and fun.

In fact I think it's my favorite level in the game. Overall I had fun with the bosses and the shmup stage, but the normal stages just never grabbed me. Arena is fun since I like the bosses.

I might not have been overly impressed by it, but it's a good game overall.

Firestorm

Screw you guys about "easiness". Arena,
True Arena, and Helper to Hero
are all hard :mad:
Less hard after I remembered that I could block but still hard!

Teknoman

I fully support the creation of a Kirby series soundtrack appreciation topic. The entirety of the Revenge of Metaknight section soundtrack is too awesome. The action that takes place during the stage as well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teknoman said:
I fully support the creation of a Kirby series soundtrack appreciation topic. The entirety of the Revenge of Metaknight section soundtrack is too awesome. The action that takes place during the stage as well.

I did my part by nominating music from Revenge of Metaknight in that 'Great Gaming Song Ever' thread.

Sciz

Teknoman said:
I'd still happily collaborate with someone on one, but I don't have the resources or series knowledge necessary to pull off something like my Sonic thread singlehandedly.

Jiggy

That sounds like it would take a while, but I'll contribute if anyone else is up for it. And considering that Canadian and Drkirby both hang around #gaf_wfc all the time, I'll see what I can wrangle them into. :p

Teknoman

Jiggy said:
That sounds like it would take a while, but I'll contribute if anyone else is up for it. And considering that Canadian and Drkirby both hang around #gaf_wfc all the time, I'll see what I can wrangle them into. :p

I could help find links or something as well.

Top Bottom