• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Kirby Superstar Ultra Thread that poops on Subspace Emissary

Firestorm

Kirbysuperstarultra_box.png

Title: Kirby Superstar Ultra
Genre: Platformer
Platform: Nintendo DS
ESRB: E
Players: 1 - 2 players co-op (multicart), 2 - 4 players minigames (singlecart)
Developer: HAL Laboratories
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date:
- North America: September 22nd, 2008
- Japan: November 6th, 2008
- Europe: From Nintendo? Good luck with that
- Australia: Ditto

What is this?
Kirby Superstar Ultra is a remake of Kirby Superstar. The SNES classic was hands down the best Kirby platformer and one of the SNES' best titles. Masahiro Sakurai's single player magnum opus, it was the game Subspace Emissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl tried to replicate but failed at doing.

Kirby Superstar was actually a compilation of many smaller games. This remake includes all the titles in the original with upgraded graphics and pre-rendered cutscenes as well as two additional game modes and three additional mini-games. Ultra also contains 2 new arenas.

Game Modes (Platformers)
Spring Breeze
Dyna Blade
The Great Cave Offensive
Revenge of Meta Knight
Milky Way Wishes
The Arena

New
Revenge of the King (Harder version of Spring Breeze)
Meta Knight Ultra (Play as Meta Knight through the entire game!)

Mini-Games
Gourmet Race
Samurai Kirby
Megaton Punch
NEW Kirby Card Swipe
NEW Kirby on the Draw
NEW Snack Tracks

Abilities
One of the main distinguishing features of Kirby games is the amount of abilities. Kirby Superstar has an amazing amount of abilities. Not only that, you can take the ability and turn it into a helper character which is then controlled by an AI or another player using the DS' local wireless ability for co-op fun!

Each ability allows you to perform between 1 and 12 attacks by using the dpad and the attack button. Basically, it works like how it does in the Super Smash Bros. series. Super Smash Bros is pretty much a multiplayer evolution of Kirby Superstar. Read the full list of what you can do with each ability here.

Beam
Bomb
Cook
Copy
Crash
Cutter
Fighter
Fire
Hammer
Ice
Jet
Mike
Mirror
Ninja
Parasol
Paint
Plasma
Sleep
Stone
Suplx
Sword
Wheel
Wing
Yo-Yo

Kirby (SNES)
kirby_pot.gif
kirby_rockstar.gif
kirbybeam.gif
kirby_stone4.gif
kirbybomb_icon.png
kirbycopy.gif
kirbycutter_icon.png
kirbyfighter_icon.png
kirbyfire.gif
kirbyhammer.gif
kirbyice.gif
kirbyjet_icon.png
kirbymirror.gif
kirbyninja.gif
kirbynormal.gif
kirbypainter_icon.png
kirbyparasol.gif
kirbyplasma.gif
kirbysleep_icon.png
kirbysuplex.gif
kirbyswheel_icon.png
kirbysword_icon.png
kirbywing_icon.png
kirbyyoyo_icon.png

Helpers (SNES)
Image159.gif
Image160.gif
Image164.gif
Image168.gif
Image172.gif
Image179.gif
Image182.gif
Image183.gif
Image188.gif
Image189.gif
Image192.gif
Image194.gif
Image195.gif
birdon.gif
bonkers.gif
buggzy.gif
capsulej.gif
fruih3.gif
poppybrosjr.gif
rocky.gif

Screenshots
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Community
Sure there's no online co-op (offline only), but GAFfers have taken to doing real-time speedrun challenges against each other. Get on the GAF WiFi Connection IRC channel and join in on the fun.

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_wfc

Web Link:
http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
The channel is gaf_wfc

or http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=chatroom=#GAF_WFC
Use any nickname.

For Chatzilla, type in "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

The most popular IRC client is mIRC, just use this guide but replace irc.dejatoons.net with irc.globalgamers.net and #smogon with #gaf_wfc
http://www.smogon.com/irc/mirc_tutorial

Pidgin can also connect you to IRC if you use that.

Median

Firestorm said:
Retail price is $29.99 by the way. I see it on Amazon.ca for $24.99.

DO WANT. It's a good change of pace from the Squeenix tax I just paid on Dragon Quest IV. Day one for me, I loved the original on the SNES.

GameStop has it for $35! Thieves!

Anyway, YES!!!! DAY ONE, BABY!!! This has been my favorite Kirby game since childhood, so it holds a very special place in my heart.

It's a shame it's not out today. Would love to play it over the weekend as I'm not doing much. Oh well, it will soon be mine. :lol

Llyranor

Median said:
DO WANT. It's a good change of pace from the Squeenix tax I just paid on Dragon Quest IV. Day one for me, I loved the original on the SNES.
It's nice how amazon.ca/.com has been selling new games at about 5ish bucks less than the MSRP.

Rezbit

I remember playing the shit out of the Great Cave Offensive. Can't wait to rekindle some old Kirby memories!

Love Kirby. Always root for em. Will probably buy two copies for multicart play with friends.

Having never played Kirby Super Star, what's the multiplayer like?

Firestorm

TheGrayGhost said:
Love Kirby. Always root for em. Will probably buy two copies for multicart play with friends.

Did you play Brawl's Subspace Emissary in co-op? It's like that but the level design doesn't suck.

jay

Firestorm said:
Well, if a mod could change my title to be gramatically correct, that'd be nice =)

The subjunctive form of the verb to be is one of the 14 things I know in life so I make it a policy to be loud and obnoxious about it.

I'm sorry, it's a disease.

Struct09

I was able to get the game yesterday (proof) and it's my first time playing Super Star. I love it, glad I picked it up :D

To those who it might matter - the logo on the cover art is shiny.

It can't be better than Kirby Adventure. I like going into levels one by one. Amazing mirror was Okay, but this game seems like it will more closely resemble amazing mirror.

justchris

Yet another game I need to order, I may have to wait until the end of the month once I get paid to get this though. Is it multicart or singlecart co-op?

Jaroof

perfectchaos007 said:
It can't be better than Kirby Adventure. I like going into levels one by one. Amazing mirror was Okay, but this game seems like it will more closely resemble amazing mirror.

6ono1hw.gif

Fireblend

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Oh, it can. :lol

Jiggy

I support this game, this thread title, and everything having to do with Kirby Super Star Ultra, the other DS remake this month that everyone should be buying.

Edit: Er, the original thread title. :p "of what Subspace Emissary wishes it was," for reference.

Firestorm said:
Did you play Brawl's Subspace Emissary in co-op? It's like that but the level design doesn't suck.
And the engine is fast and fun instead of slow and floaty. And the fighting is traditional, meaning you won't be bouncing all over the place.

perfectchaos007 said:
It can't be better than Kirby Adventure.
It is. Multiple times over.

I like going into levels one by one. [...] but this game seems like it will more closely resemble amazing mirror.
The Great Cave Offensive portion of Kirby Super Star was the inspiration for Amazing Mirror, but the Spring Breeze, Dyna Blade, Revenge of Meta Knight, and Milky Way Wishes portions each have level-by-level structures. And so did Gourmet Race, if that even counts. We'll see how the new sections go, but you've got little to worry about.

Well, I'm getting it regardless since I own every kirby game on every platform I've ever owned. I never had an SNES or N64 so I couldn't buy any of those kirby games, but I really hope it is as good as yall say.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
jay said:
The subjunctive form of the verb to be is one of the 14 things I know in life so I make it a policy to be loud and obnoxious about it.

I'm sorry, it's a disease.
But you're, uh, wrong. I think. SSE/it is singular.

O: "it was"
X: "it were"

>_>

Laugh all you want, but I always thought Revenge of Meta Knight would make an AWESOME movie. It's just such a badass game. I also loved the part in I think it was Great Cave Offensive where they made fun of turn based rpgs. Superstar is such a great game. :D

The box art is so hot. Hurray for real Kirby! The still have the angry eyes in the US commercial though. :lol

The game is going to rock. The new graphics look great, though I'm a bit disappointed the changed Capsule J. (More of a replacement actually, since the name is different too.) I think it may have to do with how close the original looked like Twin Bee. I really hope you can play as the partners.

I can't wait.

lyre

TheGrayGhost said:
Word of the wise, I once had a buddy that got laid due to KSS multiplayer. True story, mangs.

Oh my crap. I knew this game existed, but I had no idea what it was. Finding out now that it's a remake of KSS has me wet in the crotch. I played that game ENDLESSLY as a kid.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh my crap. I knew this game existed, but I had no idea what it was. Finding out now that it's a remake of KSS has me wet in the crotch. I played that game ENDLESSLY as a kid.
Same, It just never gets boring.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
perfectchaos007 said:
While Kirby's Adventure is awesome, this some how ends up being more awesome. But I am going to have to play the Hell out of KSSU to top my 100+ times beating Nightmare in Dreamland.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
lyre said:
Word of the wise, I once had a buddy that got laid due to KSS multiplayer. True story, mangs.
'lyre' indeed.

Top Bottom