• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Left 4 Dead Thread

Blizzard

Banned
Botolf said:
From the media I've seen of it, Dead Before Dawn should be pretty good. It certainly looks fantastic.
Do you (or anyone else) know what modding restrictions are for playing online?

Like, if I mod tank sounds to be louder, use lower graphical settings to see through smoke, use modded resource files so walls are transparent or something (or use the third-person over the shoulder view to see through/around walls), could that result in a VAC flag? Or is it only modding DLL stuff (and does this campaign not use any DLLs)?

I haven't tried cheating online besides messing with the over-the-shoulder thing once, but it seems like you could do a lot of things with it without servers detecting you, otherwise.

ezekial45

Banned
I encountered some sort of bug in stage 2 where i couldn't activate the ending crescendo. There was a valve that you had to use, but nothing happened.

I really enjoyed what i played, but there was a lot of bugs. It's pretty annoying.

Sibylus

Banned
@Blizz: If I recall correctly, official servers will enforce unmodified asset files among all players. There are modded servers with weird stuff like lasers, incendiary ammo, hollow point ammo, buying systems, etc, so that kind of thing would probably have to be done there.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Do you (or anyone else) know what modding restrictions are for playing online?

Like, if I mod tank sounds to be louder, use lower graphical settings to see through smoke, use modded resource files so walls are transparent or something (or use the third-person over the shoulder view to see through/around walls), could that result in a VAC flag? Or is it only modding DLL stuff (and does this campaign not use any DLLs)?

I haven't tried cheating online besides messing with the over-the-shoulder thing once, but it seems like you could do a lot of things with it without servers detecting you, otherwise.
I think you are officially the most paranoid individual I know.

But that is not a bad thing. You should take pride in this.

Teknoman

After playing Cold Case, its ok. The music selection is pretty cool though. Still waiting on someone to make a great Resident Evil 1 or 2/3 senario Campaign. Complete with the music, and save room music whenever you enter a safe room.

Blizzard

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I've played with my modified tank music and sounds for like 9 months now.
I couldn't imagine the music/sounds would trigger anything, but if you made walls transparent or something I just wondered how/if stuff would detect it. And I still don't know why the mod site has that warning about DLL modifications. *shrug*

Red Scarlet

Game crashes between map 1 and 2 for most people from what I've read. Ezekial45 got to map 2 but couldn't get the event started. So far both maps are pretty much a bust it seems.

MNC

Blizzard said:
I couldn't imagine the music/sounds would trigger anything, but if you made walls transparent or something I just wondered how/if stuff would detect it. And I still don't know why the mod site has that warning about DLL modifications. *shrug*
That's pretty much cheating I think.

Changing the walls is harder than changing the sounds, which is just pasting and renaming a sound file, basically. I don't think it works that easily with .vmt's...

Sound scales within the game so you will never hear something at the highest volume (aka as loud as the .wav file itself) unless you are right next to it.

Nemic77

ezekial45 said:
I encountered some sort of bug in stage 2 where i couldn't activate the ending crescendo. There was a valve that you had to use, but nothing happened.

I really enjoyed what i played, but there was a lot of bugs. It's pretty annoying.

You have to turn on the generator / floodlight thingie nearby. Only then can you turn the valve.

21a019s.jpg

:lol

ezekial45

Banned
Nemic77 said:
You have to turn on the generator / floodlight thingie nearby. Only then can you turn the valve.

>_>

I wish they made a that a little more clearer. Along with the bombing run, i had no idea what to do.

xero273

I tried DBD. beat the first stage. loading second stage takes forever and then I get a out of memory error. time to wait for fixed version

Blizzard

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Why do you want wallhacks?
I don't. I just wonder what the extent is people can go with mods before it's considered cheating. As I said, I've only ever used the third person view in like one or two games just to play around. I used custom tank music once, but just Benny Hill because it was funny. I don't even turn on subtitles to help me spot infected earlier. If I am trying to cheat I'm doing an awful job at it. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
While VS games with Gaf are more important than other games I have on the plate right now, women apparently are more important than VS. Sorry I missed the game tonight guys :(

Volcynika

vertopci said:
Yea that was the score.

Should have been a bigger difference. Fuck the director.

Frusmod already did that, so what's some more? POINTS ARE TOO HIGH.....NOW POINTS ARE TOO CLOSE....FFFFFFFFUUUUU

lolz

vertopci

Volcynika said:
Frusmod already did that, so what's some more? POINTS ARE TOO HIGH.....NOW POINTS ARE TOO CLOSE....FFFFFFFFUUUUU

lolz

We thought we had lost when tank came before the boat and wiped us out :(

Sibylus

Banned
In my defence I did in fact blast him in the face. Plus, that corner is really dark, the hunter is more or less camouflaged in it. Third point, Twig was dead at this point. Who's pro now?!

Twig

Banned
Botolf said:
In my defence I did in fact blast him in the face. Plus, that corner is really dark, the hunter is more or less camouflaged in it. Third point, Twig was dead at this point. Who's pro now?!
:D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Botolf said:
If only bullets really did shoot from your arse.

Twig

Banned
I regret deleting the wild abundance of friendly fire incidents. The files were big and I was intimidated and didn't know how to edit videos etc. Now I do. ):

Rest asssured, Botolf is not the worst that happened.

Volcynika

TheOneGuy said:
I regret deleting the wild abundance of friendly fire incidents. The files were big and I was intimidated and didn't know how to edit videos etc. Now I do. ):

Rest asssured, Botolf is not the worst that happened.

Twig is always the worst.

Blizzard

Banned
vertopci said:
Yea but why would you jump out the window in BH2 and take like 50 fall damage for no reason? :/
In my strange, addled mind the thoughts were vaguely like "Maybe it will only be 10-25 damage" and "I will surprise their camping boomer and smoker by being a human pipe bomb" and stuff. :/

Good job to morning for being a smoker, by the way!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Enjoyed both games a lot tonight. I was worried the second game would be a little stacked, but Blizz proved my fears wrong by holding them back. Thank you Blizz for allowing the scores to stay neck and neck. My team did a great job on the second game. Great booming especially. Didn't even need much coordination either.

Sorry I screwed up that early tank in BH5, cost us the game. I was trying to pass control to someone else, but the meter refused to go down. Need a "pass tank" button. =(

But still, it was fun. My hunter was as terrible as ever, but I did manage some nasty smokes, so I'm somewhat pleased.

vertopci

RocketDarkness said:
Sorry I screwed up that early tank in BH5, cost us the game. I was trying to pass control to someone else, but the meter refused to go down. Need a "pass tank" button. =(

But still, it was fun. My hunter was as terrible as ever, but I did manage some nasty smokes, so I'm somewhat pleased.

If you can see the survivors, even thru a tiny crack in the wall, the meter doesn't drop.

Top Bottom