• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

botticus

I probably would have finished this a while ago if it weren't for the fucking reaper. Dude made me quit the game, though I've put off selling it yet in hopes that I eventually try again and avoid insta-death to see the rest of the game.

botticus said:
I probably would have finished this a while ago if it weren't for the fucking reaper. Dude made me quit the game, though I've put off selling it yet in hopes that I eventually try again and avoid insta-death to see the rest of the game.

you need to go after him instead of letting him come to you (and killing you). The moment his entrance clip ends, run over to the stairs and chainsaw that motherfucker til he disappears. He won't reappear for a while but once you hear those rollerskates, stop everything you're doing and kill his sorry ass again. Avoid getting grabbed by the zombies and he won't be an issue.

botticus

Gryphter said:
you need to go after him instead of letting him come to you (and killing you). The moment his entrance clip ends, run over to the stairs and chainsaw that motherfucker til he disappears. He won't reappear for a while but once you hear those rollerskates, stop everything you're doing and kill his sorry ass again. Avoid getting grabbed by the zombies and he won't be an issue.
That was my biggest problem. First time through the level, I never got touched by them, but the boss killed me; every time since then apparently I was getting too creative and I was snatched up all the time.

I found best way to deal with the reaper was to stop waggling as soon as you're grabbed by a zombie and then follow the on-screen waggle prompt exactly (to shake him off) and then run up to him and chainsaw his ass. If I randomly waggled while being held by the zombie & reaper combo the game would take it as an immediate incorrect motion and the reaper would kill me.

Lesson to learn: horizontal and vertical waggle detection suck in this game. This is why I keep dying at the werewolf boss at the end of this level.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ToyMachine228 said:
I picked up Madworld once it dropped to $30 and I loved it. Just finished it yesterday. Definitely the type of game you have a friend over to play and just swap the controller every time you die or finish a level, like the old days of gaming. Anyway, probably going to do that for my second play through. Just play it with a friend some night.

What I wouldn't give for a Madworld 2 with Co-Op and cooperative finishing moves and such...

Apparently, another $20. =\

botticus said:
That was my biggest problem. First time through the level, I never got touched by them, but the boss killed me; every time since then apparently I was getting too creative and I was snatched up all the time.

Yeah that was the hardest level of the game for me. Definitely chainsaw slash for your life when too many zombies are crowding around you.

A good way to rack up points to trigger the boss fight is to throw zombies into that piranha tank. It gives some good bonus points, lots of zombies like to wander into that room, AND you're not in too much danger there. Sometimes the drill guy comes in, though, which is a bit annoying.

Make sure you get all the Jack balloons in the level, too, which was crucial to beating the boss, for me. I remember there's one on a ledge where that hanging chandelier is (you have to jump up on some boxes, turn around, then do a diagonal jump onto the ledge on the left in order to get to the box with the balloon in it). And after you do the Bloodbath Challenge, a Jack balloon appears where you started the level. Check GameFAQs for the other couple of balloons, I don't remember where they were off the top of my head.

wackojackosnose said:
Lesson to learn: horizontal and vertical waggle detection suck in this game. This is why I keep dying at the werewolf boss at the end of this level.

Yeah it really does. I frequently did vertical slashes when I tried to do horizontal ones (which helped against zombies, I suppose).

At the part you're referring to, I think I failed every single time I went into that QTE sequence. My solution to the problem was stocking up on every Jack balloon in the level so I'd outlast the boss through sheer number of lives. >_<

I found that horizontal slashes have to be exactly horizontal for this game to recognise, otherwise any degree of deviation from a horizontal line (e.g. doing a very slight diagonal from top right to bottom left) leads Jack into doing a vertical slash instead.

That's really fucking annoying on boss QTEs. :(

I actually didn't have an issue with the wiimote's vertical vs horizontal motions, but I did with the nunchuk's vertical motion. God damn! I lost to the final boss on hard 3x in a row because it came down to the last QTE, and of course I lost when I made me do a vertical nunchuk motion, it was basically an auto loss even though I was doing the right motion. I only beat him the 4th time I tried because it didn't have me do that motion.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just started this last night despite owning it for a month and a half.(needed to clear out some of the backlog first) :lol Madworld is fucking awesome. Soooooo brutal. :D :D :D

Scrubking

wackojackosnose said:

No it doesn't. I beat wolfman and he didn't even touch me once on my FIRST TRY.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Marvie_3 said:
Just started this last night despite owning it for a month and a half.(needed to clear out some of the backlog first) :lol Madworld is fucking awesome. Soooooo brutal. :D :D :D

Got this thanks to your recommendation. And yes, it fucking rocks so hard.

Antagon

Scrubking said:
No it doesn't. I beat wolfman and he didn't even touch me once on my FIRST TRY.

He took me a couple of tries, but I guess I suck at the game. Picking up the motion wasn't the problem though, it had more to do with bad reflexes and me being an idiot.

Beating the mad castle level was enough for today though.

The best way to getting rid of the reaper was just throwing an exploding barrel in its face. It kills him in one shot. Outside of that, dodging him in the QTE and then chainsawing the hell out of him works pretty well also. He's still a bitch though.

Screenboy

just finished this game, got to be one of my faves this gen. best original soundtrack since i can remember, awesome character designs and really funny aswell. itd be a crime for this game not to have a sequel (motion +?).

Scrubking

Screenboy said:
just finished this game, got to be one of my faves this gen. best original soundtrack since i can remember, awesome character designs and really funny aswell. itd be a crime for this game not to have a sequel (motion +?).

Seriously, this is like one of the few games I've ever played where every song is awesome. I look forward to finishing my replay as the second time around is much better - especially since I know the songs now.

ZAK

Speaking of the soundtrack, this game has almost a "secret song;" the music that plays while you're walking up to Elise's cathedral. You'll only hear it for like 30 seconds and half the time the announcers will be describing the place to you over it, but I think it's one of the better tracks. Shame how it got treated.

Scrubking

ZAK said:
Speaking of the soundtrack, this game has almost a "secret song;" the music that plays while you're walking up to Elise's cathedral. You'll only hear it for like 30 seconds and half the time the announcers will be describing the place to you over it, but I think it's one of the better tracks. Shame how it got treated.

Yeah, Crimson Rain. It's one of my favorites and the first song I heard. It sucks that they didn't give it more love because it's fuck awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, his pattern was easy to exploit. I never understood the difficulty some people were having. :lol

AniHawk

Rez said:
Yeah, his pattern was easy to exploit. I never understood the difficulty some people were having. :lol

To be fair, I had to redo the fight because by the time I got to him I had completely fucked up. I was on my last life and a little bit of health.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:

I personally kept fucking up the special quick time kills, so could never knock his health back in huge chunks. I also kept falling in the water and getting electrocuted. I'd been playing the game in waaay to long of a stint and was thus frustrated.

When I finally went back after letting the game sit a few days I bet him very, very easily though. Getting that quick time damage helps a lot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I might have been lucky, I never fell in the water and I triggered the QTEs almost by accident a lot of the time. ;)

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
I personally kept fucking up the special quick time kills, so could never knock his health back in huge chunks. I also kept falling in the water and getting electrocuted. I'd been playing the game in waaay to long of a stint and was thus frustrated.

When I finally went back after letting the game sit a few days I bet him very, very easily though. Getting that quick time damage helps a lot.

I never got more than the first chunk of health. He recharged three times before I murderized him.

AniHawk

So I beat the game with a clock time of about 3.5 hours. Actual time was probably closer to 5 hours since I game overed three times (once somewhere in Asian Town, once against Frank, and once in the Tower).

Pros:
+The physicality of this game is great. I think it struck a nice balance by not having the player do too much, but just enough to make them feel like they're a part of the carnage.
+The level design was nice. I think I prefer this setup to NMH's more linear design. I love the feel of this being a "playground of death."
+Boss fights were great. Only a couple weren't quite so good.
+Finishers and gore.
+The story and acting were both surprisingly good. I was expecting some goofy shit, but it was dark without being stupid (so it's not like God of War).
+Visually speaking, I think this game will long outlast similar style games
+The difficulty level was about right.

Cons:
-The driving segments. I really didn't care for them.
-The Tower was kinda frustrating, actually.
-The length of the game is about right, but the replayability is pretty low.
-Starts to get repetitive even if you are looking for new ways to kill people.
-Announcers repeat themselves a lot (which is to be expected, but still)
-I personally didn't care for the music, but I was surprised to find so many original songs.

Overall it was surprisingly good. I do regret spending so much for it, especially considering its predictable sales failure, and its length. I think it does what NMH does better than NMH, though. Cutting out the bullcrap and getting to the killing makes it a much tighter game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with a lot of what you said there, except that I didn't really start to get bothered by the repetition because of the short length.

The bosses were the highlight, though, by far. Maybe it's because I played the game right after RE5, and my expectations were relatively low, but the originality of the game, its bosses, its presentation and everything else, were really satisfying.

It's one of my favourite games of the year so far.

TunaLover

Where can I get the sountrack lyrics? I´m not english native speaker, so it´s a little hard get what they are saying. I re-search the internet with no luck.

Volcynika

Hay guyz, who wants the original soundtrack?

http://platinumgames.com/2009/06/16/madworld-soundtrack-to-be-released/

You asked for it, and we made it happen. Along with SEGA and Sumthing Distribution, you will finally be able to get your hands on a copy of the MADWORLD Soundtrack!

On June 30, you can order your very own copy on CD for $15.99 USD. Digital Download will also be supported for those of you who are looking to load your music players without a physical disc.

Keep an eye on http://www.sumthing.com/ as orders should become available soon!

(Note: Sumthing allows mail orders from the U.S., its territories and possessions, military bases, Puerto Rico, Canada, United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Eire, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Liechtenstein, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. If you don’t live in these areas, go for the digital version.)

Piano

Banned
I think I've burned out on this game, GAF. I bought it near launch for $50 but, on top of the repetition, the game's gotten straight frustrating. I'm currently at the dungeon, and the drill guy keeps showing up in a clusterfuck of enemies and going to town on me. The couple of times I have gotten to the boss, he just kicks my ass with his electrical shit.

Bottom line, I'm considering selling the game, even though I'm (maybe?) halfway through it. I think I just don't 'get' it - noone else seems to find the game difficult. Any reason I should grind through to the end?

TheEastonator said:
I think I've burned out on this game, GAF. I bought it near launch for $50 but, on top of the repetition, the game's gotten straight frustrating. I'm currently at the dungeon, and the drill guy keeps showing up in a clusterfuck of enemies and going to town on me. The couple of times I have gotten to the boss, he just kicks my ass with his electrical shit.

Bottom line, I'm considering selling the game, even though I'm (maybe?) halfway through it. I think I just don't 'get' it - noone else seems to find the game difficult. Any reason I should grind through to the end?

Besides the fact that it's freaking awesome and you'll miss the best levels and some fuck awesome bosses?

Piano

Banned
Well hmph, I must just not be 'getting' the gameplay yet - I'm halfway? through the game on the default difficulty and am getting my ass kicked repeatedly. It's frustrating, and not much fun.

It doubly sucks because I love pretty much everything else - the graphics, announcers, music...even the story.

TheEastonator said:
Well hmph, I must just not be 'getting' the gameplay yet - I'm halfway? through the game on the default difficulty and am getting my ass kicked repeatedly. It's frustrating, and not much fun.

It doubly sucks because I love pretty much everything else - the graphics, announcers, music...even the story.

GAF is gonna hate me for this, but if you're getting killed and it's not fun, just go for merely surviving rather than going for high point kills. I played a game of 'toss into a trap, dodge, repeat' and was able to beat the game on normal and hard. I found that it's when you're trying to rack up points on a single kill (like you're supposed to be) that leaves you open to getting hit

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey, did I read somewhere that they are finally officially releasing the soundtrack for purchase?

Anyone know where I can buy online?

Still jammin' to Soul...

edit: apparently, there's a link a few posts up...
genius is i.

ZAK

That was kind of interesting but also kind of stupid. A middle ground between the two finishers would probably be best. A little bit of gun up the butt is generally optimal.

Surgeon Isa

Neo Member
"Ass blood" is definitely disturbing.
The whole shoving Dual Guns up your
butthole and then stimulating you while your anus becomes a giant gaping hole of a vortex, following that up with a nice pull of those triggers sending you sky-high and into an explosion of blood and shitty anus blood is something I find scarring in a way.

Of course, I didn't have a problem with a similar scene in Crank: High Voltage so maybe I'm just weird.

Top Bottom