• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

Scrubking

Surgeon Isa said:
Old?

So this game is getting a Japanese release.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1227465_1407.html

Apparently more news to come in Weekly Famitsu No. 24

Maybe they'll change the blood from red to purple-ish red like they did with Onechanbara Wii.

The more people get to play this amazing game on the Wii the better.

However, I see a lot of the violence being cut out. I really don't know how they are going to do it and retain the core of the game.

Surgeon Isa

Neo Member
Maybe they'll do the same thing they did with the trailers and slap a black-and-yellow censored sticker over anything too graphic.

..Or pull a Resident Evil and just make the graphic stuff just "not happen"

sn00zer

Im so confused about Japan and violence....im 99% sure I saw a girl get nailed to a cross then torn to pieces in an anime once....and they are worrried about game violence?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090918_316609.html

oqm650.jpg

2i6orw1.jpg

:lol This will sell 12 copies in Japan. How sad.

Can only hope for the better, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this is just a random I love this game post.

I love this game.

wRATH2x

Banned
What I don't understand is why does Japan censor violence in games(No More Heroes, MadWorld, etc.) when their Anime is just as or even more violent than any of them?

D-X

I'm curious to see how this will sell in Japan. It's just a shame that this and HOTD:O is the only games I've bought at full price in a long time and they just bomb. I wish I could say Sega put no budget behind these games but I saw ads here in the UK for them which they don't usually do. is it a case of putting more money behind these titles or are the general public just not interested? I don't know but I'm very curious as I'm sure is Sega Europe.

olimpia84

Roto13 said:
This is the only game I can remember buying this year at full price. Great game. Reminds me a lot of No More Heroes.

I bought at full price day one and don't regret it. I felt like the length of the game was good enough for being a beat-em-up and the boss fights were cool. One of my top games of 2009, for sure.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
olimpia84 said:
I bought at full price day one and don't regret it. I felt like the length of the game was good enough for being a beat-em-up and the boss fights were cool. One of my top games of 2009, for sure.

I concur with every single word in your post. Every single one.

Wrath2X said:
What I don't understand is why does Japan censor violence in games(No More Heroes, MadWorld, etc.) when their Anime is just as or even more violent than any of them?
Because you take an active control of the charakter in games, in movies/animes you're just watching what the charakters will do anyways.

It's stupid but still, that's the reason for politicians in germany/japan/australia to cut theyr games.

Olaeh

Magypsy23 said:
The Japanese version of MadWorld has been confirmed to be 100% uncensored, making it Wii's first Z(18+) rated title in Japan.

I wonder if that means it'll sell even less. Or do big stores carry Z rated games there?

hatchx

Banned
olimpia84 said:

I agree. I beat it in about 6-7 hours and had fun with every minute of it. I'm happy to hear the game has somewhat of legs, selling okay overtime now.

Costanza

Banned
I got it for $9 when Gamefly had it as their Wii DOTD early this week and wooooooow I'm glad I did. It's seriously fucking awesome.

Only real complaints would be that the camera gets annoying sometimes and the commentary repeats itself often, but still.. awesome. awesome. AWESOME game.

I've played up through the first Asian-themed level so far. Soooo fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MadWorld an 'experiment' but success, interview here.

"We're prepared to have a go and try to be innovative, and we want to crack core gaming. We've spent a lot of time thinking there must be a way to release mature, more adult content on the Wii format. House of the Dead performed really well. Was that because it was mature or because it was an arcade title? You might lean towards the SEGA IP and the affiliation with Nintendo, but we matured that up by bringing out House of the Dead Overkill, and made it more of a core game. At the same time we entered into an exciting partnership with Platinum Games, the first result of which was MadWorld - a fantastic, innovative, original game, no doubt about it." - SEGA UK managing director John Clark

Q: So that's an experiment you would try again (referring to MadWorld)?

John Clark: Yes. You can look at quality thresholds and the proven track records of Sonic and Total War and Football Manager, but the industry we're in demands creativity and innovation. There has to be inspiration from the development level as well as the publishing level. There has to be balance.

Bluth54

Is Madworld known to cause Wiis to freeze? I'm playing a new copy I bought a few months ago and so far the game has frozen 2 times mid level with the last two or three seconds of music just looping. I had to do a hard reset on my Wii both times.

I've been playing my Wii quite a bit lately (all three Metroid Prime Trilogy games and Mushroom Men beaten over the last two months) and I didn't have freezing issues with either of those games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, talks of a possible sequel had me thinking at having a go at Madworld yesterday.

But the awesome, awesome news (that some of you guys might have known since forever) is that if you have a homebrew-capable Wii
with CFG Loader you can now play Madworld in 480p :D :D

just put in CFG loader Madworld's settings (press the 1 button):

video: force ntsc
video_patch: all

Seriously, the art is great and all but the game's image quality has always been a jagged eye-sore mess on my Panny plasma... but now, finally, everything's well in the world.
Really, it improves the graphics A LOT (depending on your display I guess).

Now it would be interesting to know why the hell Platinum/Sega canned the progressive scan video when it's there in th first place?!
(for CFG Loader to work its "480p magic", the progressive scan mode must be "buried" in the game...).

Oxx said:

It's £6.95 now, still a great deal guys.

Hiltz

I forgot that I need to finish up my 6th play time with MadWorld. I stopped playing after the release of Red Steel 2 and Cave Story but I'll go back to it tomorrow.

I love the controls but hate the waggle QTEs. They're just so embarrassing to perform when other people are around.

pakkit

Banned
I really think the controls in this game were way too cumbersome for what it was trying to accomplish. NMH did waggle fighting right, by making it simplistic and using motion for accents. Madworld overuses waggle and frustrates seemingly simple actions (grabbing, I'm looking at you).

That said, it's still one of the prettiest games on the Wii, and it's style is so great and flavor so unique that I don't regret the buy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just finished off China town.

This is a really fun game. It can get a bit repetitive at times.. but they do a good job with the mission structure keeping it fresh. There are some open world levels, some levels where you are on rails getting through them.

The mini games also keep stuff fresh.

No real complaints other than a bug I got. I delt a deathblow to Yokozuna the same time he was jumping up to grab a chopper and that seemed to kill the game and I had to play it again.

The black and white took a while to get used to.. and it would be nice if it was 16:9.. there is an extra bit at the sides of the screen not being used.

My biggest complaint with this game is the camera.

1) It's too close to Jack.

2) Jack is fucking huge.

Meaning I can't see anything.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
StoOgE said:
Just finished off China town.

This is a really fun game. It can get a bit repetitive at times.. but they do a good job with the mission structure keeping it fresh. There are some open world levels, some levels where you are on rails getting through them.

The mini games also keep stuff fresh.

No real complaints other than a bug I got. I delt a deathblow to Yokozuna the same time he was jumping up to grab a chopper and that seemed to kill the game and I had to play it again.

The black and white took a while to get used to.. and it would be nice if it was 16:9.. there is an extra bit at the sides of the screen not being used.

I loved China town and the ninja village levels, but the game kinda went downhill from there for me. The levels after that are not super awesome, and the repetition really hits home about 3/4 through.

I didn't end up finishing the game. :(

Gilby

I saw this game is now 14.99$ @ EB. This made me so sad; I wish this industry responded more to creativity and originality, instead of just high budgets. I guess movies, music, and books are the same way though. Still, I wish more people would give the game recognition for at least trying to change the beat-em-up mechanics formula. :(

Fimbulvetr said:
My biggest complaint with this game is the camera.

1) It's too close to Jack.

2) Jack is fucking huge.

Meaning I can't see anything.

That's pretty much my only complaint with the game. What is it with Platinum and bad/slow moving cameras?

Top Bottom