• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Manga Discussion/News Thread!! New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

Banned
silverbullet1080 said:
Haki or seastone maybe? A personal issue perhaps.
Seastone is a weakness to all Devil Fruit users, and we don't know the extent of what Haki does to Devil Fruit powers, particularly Logia's yet. Along with how rare Haki seems to be, it seems unlikely.

Some sort of personal issue seems the most probable at the moment, unless it's some form of ability or power we haven't heard of yet.

watervengeance said:
Liar Game - That was a pretty weak "strategy". Hopefully the actual game is a lot more interesting.

Yeah I was expecting something a bit more intricate than "act like a clumsy douche and wander onto the field".

Anyway, I am going to mix up short bob and Kanzaki A LOT this arc.

Akainu

mysticwhip said:
Just found out that the author of Death note and Bakuman, Ohba Tsugumi, is a woman, never knew always thought she was a guy.
Think about it, the name is Ohba right? Take out the h you have oba as in Oba-san. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mysticwhip said:
Just found out that the author of Death note and Bakuman, Ohba Tsugumi, is a woman, never knew always thought she was a guy.
Tsugumi Ohba is a pseudonym. Nobody knows anything about Ohba. There are guesses (very good ones, in fact) but unless you're secretly Takeshi Obata, I don't think that's right.

The most well known theory is that he's Hiroshi Gamo, a mangaka who had a decent run in Jump with Tottemo Luckyman! back in the 90s.

Angry Grimace said:
Tsugumi Ohba is a pseudonym. Nobody knows anything about Ohba. There are guesses (very good ones, in fact) but unless you're secretly Takeshi Obata, I don't think that's right.

The most well known theory is that he's Hiroshi Gamo, a mangaka who had a decent run in Jump with Tottemo Luckyman! back in the 90s.

I don't understand how NO ONE knows his/her identity. I mean he/she has been interviewed before. How can there not even be a photo on the internet? Just seems really weird with how Death Note took off and all.

Akainu

cosmicblizzard said:
I don't understand how NO ONE knows his/her identity. I mean he/she has been interviewed before. How can there not even be a photo on the internet? Just seems really weird with how Death Note took off and all.
I remember there was a time people didn't know if Arakawa Hiromu was a women or not.

Angry Grimace said:

I was reading an interview with Takeshi Obata and when he was talking about her he said 'she'. So I'll just go with that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mysticwhip said:
I was reading an interview with Takeshi Obata and when he was talking about her he said 'she'. So I'll just go with that.
So yeah, you realize that interview was not done in English. Kind of grasping at straws here. No offense, but... :lol

There's really no basis to say, much less draw any conclusions about it. Dude's identity is a secret, and it's going to be a secret until they feel like making it not a secret. I personally think it's completely irrelevant. I'm sure if the Japanese media REALLY gave a shit they could find out.

mysticwhip said:

My Japanese isn't what it used to be (which wasn't very good in the first place) but I thought there is no he/she in Japanese and the equivalent is gender neutral.

Angry Grimace

mysticwhip said:
Meh, good enough for me.
You must not have very high standards of evidence; you really have no reason to assume that, much less accept it as fact. :lol

From what I know of Japanese langauge, there aren't he/she pronouns the way there are in English; Japanese speech tends not to use pronouns and prefer gender to be determined by context.

Angry Grimace said:
You must not have very high standards of evidence; you really have no reason to assume that, much less accept it as fact. :lol

From what I know of Japanese langauge, there aren't he/she pronouns the way there are in English; Japanese speech tends not to use pronouns and prefer gender to be determined by context.

fuck%20it.jpg

Angry Grimace

cosmicblizzard said:
I don't think the Japanese media is nearly as omniscient as western media outlets; even then, it's just a comic book writer.

Angry Grimace said:
I don't think the Japanese media is nearly as omniscient as western media outlets; even then, it's just a comic book writer.

So I guess it(Ohba) has never made an appearance at Jump fest or anything?

Angry Grimace said:

Yeah, a comic book writer with a massive hit. Like you said, the Japanese media probably doesn't really care but if someone was able to do what Ohba did in the west, his/her photo would be all over the place.

LOZLINK

Dresden said:
I think I'm going to read nothing but shoujo manga for the next week.

My list:

Ouran (loved the anime)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama (dunno, art looks half decent)
Kimi no Todoke

Any more recommendations?
In all honesty, that's the least shoujo one. Sometimes the art doesn't even look shoujo but the art is fantastic. The mangaka is good at doing different facial expressions. Personally I love it though, great manga. Also try skip beat which is great as well. Also, Vampire knight is good too
JOKES VAMPIRE KNIGHT SUCKS :lol

Angry Grimace

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, a comic book writer with a massive hit. Like you said, the Japanese media probably doesn't really care but if someone was able to do what Ohba did in the west, his/her photo would be all over the place.
It doesn't seem like it would really be that difficult to hide; I mean, Obata probably "turns in" the actual chapters; I wouldn't be all that surprised if Ohba himself ends up having very little contact with people outside of Jump. I'm not sure what the purpose of being reclusive is, really.

bjork

watervengeance said:
Liar Game - That was a pretty weak "strategy". Hopefully the actual game is a lot more interesting.

The whole series has been fairly weak since the contraband game. I wish there were more One Outs chapters out.

Angry Grimace said:
It doesn't seem like it would really be that difficult to hide; I mean, Obata probably "turns in" the actual chapters; I wouldn't be all that surprised if Ohba himself ends up having very little contact with people outside of Jump. I'm not sure what the purpose of being reclusive is, really.

Probably a pseudonym so that they don't get recognized everywhere.

Kreed

One Piece:

nelsonroyale said:
It was never even implied that BB should be able to stand toe to toe with WB, and certainly nothing of his previous actions made it seem like he should...its only the fanboys who believed he was a match. From what has been revealed, he doesn't seem to be admiral level yet...but just like the SH he has acquired a very strong crew. To be honest Im beginning to believe that BB gave shanks the injury in some sneaky and underhanded way...

I never thought Blackbeard could stand toe to toe with Whitebeard but at the same time he was made to look completely pathetic begging for his life/almost dying (especially after a great entrance into the battlefield with his new crew). In comparison, Akainu got beaten by Whitebeard but he came out of this battle looking way better than Blackbeard did. Even by your comments, Blackbeard was made to look even weaker than the Admirals and you're even doubting how he hurt Shanks, which shouldn't be the case for someone that's being built up as a major antagonist. I doubt anyone is questioning Akainu's strength from this battle however.

Psyren:

Finally, the story is going back to the future. I've been looking forward to seeing all the changes to the storyline that will take place (I'm hoping for more than just additional bad guys for Ageha to fight). But I still wonder what all these changes will mean for Hiryu and Oboro being stuck in the future this whole time, as well as "the kids".

Liar Game:

I'm still not sold on the musical chairs game but the idea of the chairs being spread out all over the island should make the game more interesting than it originally sounded. I'm guessing the players will hide the chairs in secret spots, among other things. Still, it seems like it's going to be up to Akiyama, Yokoya, and the old man to make this game more entertaining.

Beelzebub:

This was a pretty funny chapter, but I'm not expecting much out of the Rokkisei. They just seem like random guys Oga will handle easily in a few chapters. Hopefully something interesting will happen like another demon showing up.

bjork said:
The whole series has been fairly weak since the contraband game. I wish there were more One Outs chapters out.

Agreed. I still think it's dumb that the anime series prematurely ended when the entire series is already over. It's not like they don't have material to work with.

Zeppu

bjork said:
Ah, I forgot about the Thatch bit. But with Shanks, maybe that happened before Shanks was really powerful? Shanks doesn't have the scratches when they show him on Roger's ship, but then he does in chapter 1. A lot of things could've happened between those two points.

While this seems to have been answered somehow, referring the same chapter as before, WB tells Shanks that everyone was surprised when Shanks returned with no arm, so we can, at the very least, conclude that he was already a somewhat notorious pirate when he befriended Luffy. He also had the scar at that point.

Sneakily, in chapter 434 (again) you can see in the flashback that Shanks didn't have the scar when he is arguing with Buggy but his face is hidden in the next panel which is Roger's execution.

I still think there was a clash between BB and Shanks at one point when Shanks was already rather strong and well known, but those are all the facts I could find and you can draw your own conclusions really.

Steroyd

silverbullet1080 said:
I can't wait for FMA and the next round of FFFUUUUs.

Thanks for reminding me, goodbye everyone see you guys after the chapter is released.

Now the dilemma, delete my subscription and risk not ever finding this thread again thanks to the search function being gone, or keep the subscription and be very tempted to poke my nose in this thread during the spoilering stage of FMA's release.

-_-

Steroyd said:
Thanks for reminding me, goodbye everyone see you guys after the chapter is released.

Now the dilemma, delete my subscription and risk not ever finding this thread again thanks to the search function being gone, or keep the subscription and be very tempted to poke my nose in this thread during the spoilering stage of FMA's release.

-_-

This thread is almost always on the first or second page. You should have no problem finding it.

Dresden

Steroyd said:

-_-
The manga thread will never die, so just take it off your subscription. It'll always be on page one when the new FMA chapter hits.

Kreed

Steroyd said:

-_-

Why bother? The only thing that gets discussed when FMA spoilers come out are the spoiler tags.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Beelzebub

Soon it'll be time for Oga to destroy everyone. And one of these guys seems to be someone from their past, poor Furuichi.

finowns

Kave_Man said:
Beelzebub

Soon it'll be time for Oga to destroy everyone. And one of these guys seems to be someone from their past, poor Furuichi.

I am hoping that Furuichi is really a badass and he once beat some one to death then he got all emo about fighting. It kinda contradicts everything we have seen so far but it would be cool.

Angry Grimace

Meh I'm sure that one guy that only cares about FMA and only shows up when FMA is out will come in soon enough to go "OMG SO AWESOME" and tell us what heppens. :lol

Wiseblade

I'm calling it now: Magellan leaves impel down to chase after Blackbeard and Shiryuu, entrusting the prison to Hannybal.

It'll be the next cover arc. You know it to be true!

I've been lazy about reading the seinen manga you guys suggested. I read a volume of Jiraishin and got bored so I just played some Valkyria and 3rd Strike. I'll get around to the rest eventually, but I've got some Wolf Guy raws to finish up first.

Pimpwerx

I was wondering about that too. It seems Impel Down is run by a unique race, as they all have those horns. Funny thing about the wings too, as Cyandians (or whatever they were called) had the angel wings from ancient times. Would this bat-winged group be their opposites? They all talked about justice, but their main interaction with the outside world was evil pirates and the marines. I wonder if there's more to that, or if Oda will leave it there.

Also, what was BB's plan if Luffy didn't break into ID? The shichibukai title was just to get through the gates of justice. He was seriously gonna take down ID with just his 5-man crew. He was probably gonna create a riot too, but it says a lot about his ambition. The guy has some serious balls, and though dirty, isn't exactly taking the coward's way out.

One other thing is about Luffy's age. The antidote for Magellan's poison took 10 years off his life. Do you think that's what Oda means about this being the last adventure with Luffy as an 18 year old? It'd be interesting to see Luffy as an adult, but maybe really strange if no one else on the crew aged with him. PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
One other thing is about Luffy's age. The antidote for Magellan's poison took 10 years off his life. Do you think that's what Oda means about this being the last adventure with Luffy as an 18 year old? It'd be interesting to see Luffy as an adult, but maybe really strange if no one else on the crew aged with him. PEACE.

Rapid aging? Now that's an interesting theory. I think a time skip would still probably be more effective but I wouldn't rule this out either.

Pimpwerx said:
I was wondering about that too. It seems Impel Down is run by a unique race, as they all have those horns. Funny thing about the wings too, as Cyandians (or whatever they were called) had the angel wings from ancient times. Would this bat-winged group be their opposites? They all talked about justice, but their main interaction with the outside world was evil pirates and the marines. I wonder if there's more to that, or if Oda will leave it there.

Also, what was BB's plan if Luffy didn't break into ID? The shichibukai title was just to get through the gates of justice. He was seriously gonna take down ID with just his 5-man crew. He was probably gonna create a riot too, but it says a lot about his ambition. The guy has some serious balls, and though dirty, isn't exactly taking the coward's way out.

Doesn't Gear 2nd and 3rd also shave some of his life off?, I wonder if he's gonna live past 20.

Baki

IPPO:

I'm happy that this fight looks like its going to end soon. Although Mori could've ended it sooner.

Angry Grimace

mysticwhip said:
Doesn't Gear 2nd and 3rd also shave some of his life off?, I wonder if he's gonna live past 20.
Casting spells from lifespan is just an author trick to make sure someone who has a ridiculously overpowered ability can't use it all the time; the idea is that the spell takes off enough that the person won't want to use it, but not so much that it will have a material effect on the storyline;

See;

Tsunade: Creation Rebirth
Naruto: Four Tailed Fox Shroud
Edward Elric: Bullshit healing power he didn't have before casting this
Luffy: Gear 2nd/3rd

If any of these characters were capable of using these at will they'd be essentially invincible.

silverbullet1080 said:
No... I don't think so anyway. Gear 2 is increasing blood flow and Gear 3 is inflation.
Nope it hacks away from his life just like every other "cast from lifespan" power:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/420/14/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom