• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Manga Discussion/News Thread!! New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I was wondering about that too. It seems Impel Down is run by a unique race, as they all have those horns. Funny thing about the wings too, as Cyandians (or whatever they were called) had the angel wings from ancient times. Would this bat-winged group be their opposites? They all talked about justice, but their main interaction with the outside world was evil pirates and the marines. I wonder if there's more to that, or if Oda will leave it there.

Oda talked about the horns in the Vol.57 SBS:

interesting question. Someone asks why there are some people (Hannyabal, Oars) who grow horns. Oda says to think of it as an individual chracteristic. He's interested in drawing people with even more interesting faces.

Apath

Angry Grimace said:
Casting spells from lifespan is just an author trick to make sure someone who has a ridiculously overpowered ability can't use it all the time; the idea is that the spell takes off enough that the person won't want to use it, but not so much that it will have a material effect on the storyline;
It is worth noting that with Sasuke, it was said that his hax abilities will cause him to go blind if overused. He overused them (he uses them like 8 times in every fight), and he is actually going blind.

Angry Grimace said:
Edward Elric: Bullshit healing power he didn't have before casting this
He always had the ability, he just didn't know how to use it. Only after using Envy's philosopher's stone did he think to use his own life energy for minor human transmutation to close the gaping hole in his abdomen.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
silverbullet1080 said:
He always had the ability, he just didn't know how to use it. Only after using Envy's philosopher's stone did he think to use his own life energy for minor human transmutation to close the gaping hole in his abdomen.
Even then, he mainly used his life energy because he was too messed up to do it otherwise. Plus it was a stopgap measure and he had to limp off to a doctor after that. Probably the weakest haxx ever if one considered it such. :lol

Angry Grimace said:
Casting spells from lifespan is just an author trick to make sure someone who has a ridiculously overpowered ability can't use it all the time; the idea is that the spell takes off enough that the person won't want to use it, but not so much that it will have a material effect on the storyline;

See;

Tsunade: Creation Rebirth
Naruto: Four Tailed Fox Shroud
Edward Elric: Bullshit healing power he didn't have before casting this
Luffy: Gear 2nd/3rd

If any of these characters were capable of using these at will they'd be essentially invincible.

Nope it hacks away from his life just like every other "cast from lifespan" power:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/420/14/

Even with gear 2nd\3rd luffy is far far from being invincible. If anything last 100 chapters has shows us he needs another power (haki) .

Luffy does gear 2 at will now any way. Just needs to improve his body for it to be a non factor.
And gear 3 does not take any of his life.

Freshmaker said:
Even then, he mainly used his life energy because he was too messed up to do it otherwise. Plus it was a stopgap measure and he had to limp off to a doctor after that. Probably the weakest haxx ever if one considered it such. :lol
He passed out after doing it too, Heinkel and DK had to carry him out.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
LOZLINK said:
Beelzebub
Hope Oga goes full body cursed seal with these guys

I think his pride alone won't let him use the zebub spells on regular humans. These guys will need something spectacular for him to need to use one.

LOZLINK

Kave_Man said:
I think his pride alone won't let him use the zebub spells on regular humans. These guys will need something spectacular for him to need to use one.
Fair enough, I think he'll have a problem with these ones though. Considering he barely beat toujou

flawfuls

A new chapter for Saint Young Men just came out, anybody else reading it? It's a slice of life comedy about Buddha and Jesus sharing an apartment. It's similar to Yotsuba in that they just do really mundane things, but everything is funnier with Buddha and Jesus.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kenak said:
It is worth noting that with Sasuke, it was said that his hax abilities will cause him to go blind if overused. He overused them (he uses them like 8 times in every fight), and he is actually going blind.
Well, that isn't the same thing. You can get more eyes too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Freshmaker said:
The problem in my mind is that Edward never had healing alchemy to begin with. It wasn't' a matter of having the resource to do it. It was just kind of haxx-y.

Angry Grimace said:
The problem in my mind is that Edward never had healing alchemy to begin with. It wasn't' a matter of having the resource to do it. It was just kind of haxx-y.
He admitted he didn't have any healing ability; closing the hole was based on what he knew from studying human alchemy back when he was researching to bring his mom back.

neoanarch

silverbullet1080 said:
He admitted he didn't have any healing ability; closing the hole was based on what he knew from studying human alchemy back when he was researching to bring his mom back.

He did study biological alchemy during the Shou Tucker arc. It wasn't much but its not that far fetched that he managed to do some patch work on himself combining the knowledge from the human transmutation the research from Shou Tucker and the experience from escaping from the fake gate.

Beelzebub

I think this may turn into a team battle. Toujou may come back to lend a hand as well. I'd love it if Oga joined each club and took out the knights though.

latest volumes
Naruto Vol.50
30sf5hf.jpg

One Piece Vol.56
2urs4kk.jpg

Bakuman Vol.7
978-4-08-870015-1.jpg

Joule

flawfuls said:
A new chapter for Saint Young Men just came out, anybody else reading it? It's a slice of life comedy about Buddha and Jesus sharing an apartment. It's similar to Yotsuba in that they just do really mundane things, but everything is funnier with Buddha and Jesus.

It's a pretty fun read. Need more chapters more often. The jokes that involve heavenly beings are great.

Shouta

Started reading Welcome to the El-Palacio. Harem comedy and Prowrestling? Pretty amusing stuff.

Lots of fanservice of course but still pretty funny stuff. First page the key steps into the street and into the way of a truck. Wakes up in a room with tons of panties and bras hanging from the ceiling to be dried. Panics, falls off the bed and ends up with a pair of panties. A schoolgirl enters the room and shouts pervert, runs away and he follows to explain. Schoolgirl runs into another girl and tells her that he's a pervert and the other girl proceeds to stuff his head between her legs and powerbombs him through the floor. Poor guy doesn't catch a break after that either :lol

Dresden

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru is pretty damn fun. Excellent action although most of the characters all seem like they're ripped off Ippo, espcially Mutou.

Although the Brazilian Jujitsu guy who
assaults and rapes young men
was taking it a bit too far. The last page of the last chapter is NSFW.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Shouta said:
Schoolgirl runs into another girl and tells her that he's a pervert and the other girl proceeds to stuff his head between her legs and powerbombs him through the floor. Poor guy doesn't catch a break after that either :lol
Imagining this is just too fucking hilarious.

Kenak said:
Yeah but he can always trade eyes and get another Hax ability and no more risk of going blind and have his vision restored.

EMS the most retarded shit that Kishi made up.

Air Gear

As usual, Onigiri cracked me up this chapter.

Still not entirely sure what's going on but I'll be happy if someone has a serious fight with the Thunder King even if it isn't Ikki.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
silverbullet1080 said:
It's like Entourage except about the manga industry versus the movie industry.
Bakuman
I"ll give it a look over. EDIT: Ohba also wrote Death Note, I knew the art style reminded me of something.

Anything similar to K-ON! and Beck? Been digging the band manga genre.

Angry Grimace

Vox-Pop said:
I"ll give it a look over.

Anything similar to K-ON! and Beck? Been digging the band manga genre.
Gravitation.

(snicker)

Apath

Ballistictiger said:
Yeah but he can always trade eyes and get another Hax ability and no more risk of going blind and have his vision restored.

EMS the most retarded shit that Kishi made up.
Yeah, that is true.. Anyways it's really fucking ridiculous when you think about how many times he's used his MS in battles since he's gotten it :lol :

Killer Bee - Tsukuyomi, Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu, Space/Time Manipulation, Space/Time Manipulation; x5

Kage Summit - Tsukuyomi, Susanoo, Amaterasu, Amaterasu, Space/Time Manipulation, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Susanoo, Susanoo; x9

Danzo - Susanoo, Susanoo, Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, Susanoo (this is where he keeps it active constantly for ~6 minutes), Tsukuyomi; x6

Kakashi - Susanoo, Susanoo; x2 -- Finally can't hold it anymore.

Can't forget that the last three of these battles have taken place within a short amount of time from one another, and that Sasuke was constantly using his regular Sharigan + Chidori non-stop throughout.

Mael

Pluto is finally out here,
Pluto as in Urasawa's Pluto...
First 2 volumes, I gotta say Urasawa is really beginning to be a favourite of mine...
now I just need to get my hands on Astro Boy :lol

Angry Grimace

Kenak said:
Yeah, that is true.. Anyways it's really fucking ridiculous when you think about how many times he's used his MS in battles since he's gotten it :lol :

Killer Bee - Tsukuyomi, Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu, Space/Time Manipulation, Space/Time Manipulation; x5

Kage Summit - Tsukuyomi, Susanoo, Amaterasu, Amaterasu, Space/Time Manipulation, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Susanoo, Susanoo; x9

Danzo - Susanoo, Susanoo, Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, Susanoo (this is where he keeps it active constantly for ~6 minutes), Tsukuyomi; x6

Kakashi - Susanoo, Susanoo; x2 -- Finally can't hold it anymore.

Can't forget that the last three of these battles have taken place within a short amount of time from one another, and that Sasuke was constantly using his regular Sharigan + Chidori non-stop throughout.
He had that bullshit Karin lollipop before Danzo's fight though.

Apath

Angry Grimace said:
He had that bullshit Karin lollipop before Danzo's fight though.
I'm not arguing his chakra levels, I'm just commentating on the absurdity of his hax spamming. The dude uses almost exclusively uses MS abilities augmented with the Chidori spam.

Angry Grimace

Kenak said:
I'm not arguing his chakra levels, I'm just commentating on the absurdity of his hax spamming. The dude uses almost exclusively uses MS abilities augmented with the Chidori spam.
I think it's kind of foolish for us as readers to expect wars of attrition in shonen.

The non-Susanoo skills are the new Fireball jutsu. He just starts at Amaterasu and works up from there because Kishimoto (somewhat realistically) probably thinks the readers don't really want to see him doing his crap moves.

In the end, his real signature skill is probably still going to be Chidori so Kishimoto can continue to draw that panel where Sasuke and Naruto run at each other with Rasengans and Chidori's while inexplicably having a full conversation en route (because talking is a free action, of course)

Mael

Angry Grimace said:
I think it's kind of foolish for us as readers to expect wars of attrition in shonen.

The non-Susanoo skills are the new Fireball jutsu. He just starts at Amaterasu and works up from there because Kishimoto (somewhat realistically) probably thinks the readers don't really want to see him doing his crap moves.

In the end, his real signature skill is probably still going to be Chidori so Kishimoto can continue to draw that panel where Sasuke and Naruto run at each other with Rasengans and Chidori's while inexplicably having a full conversation en route (because talking is a free action, of course)

:lol You must hate Saint Seiya :lol

Apath

Angry Grimace said:

I get the reasoning behind it, but you don't think it's reaching higher levels of absurdity? For context, his battle against Itachi where Itachi was essentially showing Sasuke each of the abilities in the MS's arsenal used Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu twice, and Susanoo, and it took everything out of him after each one, culminating in taking his own life from Susanoo.

Wiseblade

Angry Grimace said:

Now you're just quoting trope names ad verbatim. :lol

Angry Grimace

Kenak said:
I get the reasoning behind it, but you don't think it's reaching higher levels of absurdity? For context, his battle against Itachi where Itachi was essentially showing Sasuke each of the abilities in the MS's arsenal used Tsukuyomi, Amaterasu twice, and Susanoo, and it took everything out of him after each one, culminating in taking his own life from Susanoo.
Kishimoto handwaved that by saying Itachi was dying of some illness we never even found out about. We just have to accept he had cancer or something.

Wiseblade said:
Now you're just quoting trope names ad verbatim. :lol
I was always doing that. Naruto does this worse than anything short of Dragonball Z when a planet has 5 minutes to explode.

Kreed said:
One Piece:

I never thought Blackbeard could stand toe to toe with Whitebeard but at the same time he was made to look completely pathetic begging for his life/almost dying (especially after a great entrance into the battlefield with his new crew). In comparison, Akainu got beaten by Whitebeard but he came out of this battle looking way better than Blackbeard did. Even by your comments, Blackbeard was made to look even weaker than the Admirals and you're even doubting how he hurt Shanks, which shouldn't be the case for someone that's being built up as a major antagonist. I doubt anyone is questioning Akainu's strength from this battle however.

That complacence is part of BB's charm... I don't doubt his power, its as many have said...he is growing just as luffy is. Its not unusual to consider the Admirals stronger than him at this point...Akainu showed more impressive ability in this fight than anything BB has done. Also, there is no need for BB to be the strongest antagonist (and I seriously doubt he will be) to be one of the most challenging. He has a strong crew and very underhanded tactics. His power is also very strong, but it has its clear weaknesses

bjork

Fist of the North Star finally updated, first chapter in awhile. I didn't know the Jagi/Ken fight in the animated movie followed the manga so closely, pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom