• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Manga Discussion/News Thread!! New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reborn

This arc definitely has promise. While it does almost feel like a retread with the inheritance conflict, at least it isn't internal anymore. A full out war between Shimon and Vongola has potential. I just hope everyone plays an important role this time. 7 vs 7 shouldn't be too hard with the exception of Yamamoto being MIA.

MrSerrels

Himuro said:
Naruto

I'm almost caught up to the point where I stopped reading the manga 5 years ago re-reading from chapter 1 on up, I have to say that at this point, Kishi has ALWAYS had a hard on for Sasuke as opposed to Naruto.

I'm not directing this at you specifically, but the whole point of Shonen is to have a protagonist who has to work hard to overcome genius. Kishi has to build up Sasuke so the pay off is stronger. It shits me a little to hear all the whinging about Sasuke and how his character is handled – he is supposed to be arrogant, aloof, and he's supposed to gain power through little effort – that's just how these stories work.

See also: Ippo/Miyata

Wiseblade

MrSerrels said:
I'm not directing this at you specifically, but the whole point of Shonen is to have a protagonist who has to work hard to overcome genius. Kishi has to build up Sasuke so the pay off is stronger. It shits me a little to hear all the whinging about Sasuke and how his character is handled – he is supposed to be arrogant, aloof, and he's supposed to gain power through little effort – that's just how these stories work.

See also: Ippo/Miyata

Yeah, but compared to other shonen rival he gets far more face time and focus. Not to mention that until very recently he was able to get away defecting from his country to join a known enemy of the state and the cooperate with a terrorist organisation that threatens the entire world. And yet all the women still want him.

Sasuke is kind of like how Kamina stole the spotlight from Simon in TTGL except he never died.
That, and not being made of pure awesome and DYING FOR OUR SINS.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wiseblade said:
Lazy hand wave is lazy.

If Luffy's rubber powers reduced heat loss from his body, he would simply say he wasn't cold when questioned. Instead, he instantly becomes aware of his surroundings, begins shivering and goes to put on a coat. you could argue that he's only pretending to conform to social expectations, but this is Luffy. He couldn't even pronounce social expectations.
Its a joke. In a series where magma beats fire and "the heart's passion" can prevent 1st degree burns. Just take any scientific idea to its most basic form and run with it.

cosmicblizzard said:
I know Oda=God around here, but there's NO WAY he thought of that for a simple gag panel.
Its long running gag based on one of rubber's most basic properties. I would expect any author worth his merit to do such a thing.

MrSerrels

Himuro said:
This is a bad comparison. In other shounen, there's a rival, but the rival doesn't get the focus or the spotlight. In many cases, it's Sasuke, Sasuke, Sasuke no matter the good Naruto does.

In Ippo, Miyata has presence, but it's still recognizably about Ippo and his story. This is not nearly the case with the story of Naruto and Sasuke.

This is especially present in the Chuunin exam, which I never really noticed when I was watching it back when it first aired in 2003/2004. So yeah, it's been a while. But it's telling how many people complain about Naruto and how Kishi has a fascination with Sasuke as if it was recent. Going back proves that's not the case.

I disagree, it's a valid comparison – but I agree that Kishi should probably leave more of Sasuke's story off page. The genius type-character should be a little more mysterious and his motivations a little more vague.

Still I think the complaints are a it hysterical, Naruto is still my favourite Shonen manga at the moment, and the one I look most forward to reading, despite its flaws.

Wiseblade said:
Lazy hand wave is lazy.

If Luffy's rubber powers reduced heat loss from his body, he would simply say he wasn't cold when questioned. Instead, he instantly becomes aware of his surroundings, begins shivering and goes to put on a coat. you could argue that he's only pretending to conform to social expectations, but this is Luffy. He couldn't even pronounce social expectations.
I wouldn't say it's because he's DUMB though, it's just a gag that's so excited about seeing snow that he doesn't notice the cold.

How that makes him dumber than a 10 year old who didn't know what girls are is a bit of a stretch.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
One Piece

Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that what shocked Chopper was probably Luffy's new bounty? (What with Sengoku publicly declaring Luffy's parentage at Marineford.)

I'll be disappointed if it's any less than one billion beli. It has pretty much tripled every time it's been increased. At the very least his bounty will probably be higher than the rest of his crew combined.

DarthWoo said:
One Piece

Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that what shocked Chopper was probably Luffy's new bounty? (What with Sengoku publicly declaring Luffy's parentage at Marineford.)

I'll be disappointed if it's any less than one billion beli. It has pretty much tripled every time it's been increased. At the very least his bounty will probably be higher than the rest of his crew combined.

I think it will be 750 million....

It's kinda funny. It used to be that Japanese fans were all like, Goku's so kawaii desu desu desu", and American fans were like "Vegeta, what does the scouter say?"

And now American fans are like "Naruto's so kawaii desu desu desu" and the Japanese fans are like "Sasuke, what does the scouter say?"

Dedication Through Light said:
Fairy Tail 191

Well this series just keeps on delivering, lol. oh man it was super
special
awesome!!! Wendy with Venier, Natsu and Gazille, dragonslayers, zomg !!!1

(Oh one of the more hilarious panels that literally made me lol)
Okay.png

Erza v Erza finally next chapter. Fairytail just always delivers

:lol Yes.

I also laughed at Gazille eating the robots tail :lol

I've always thought Fairy Tail would be a fun MMO to play, what with Wendy straight up being the buffer/healer of the group.

grandjedi6 said:
Its long running gag based on one of rubber's most basic properties. I would expect any author worth his merit to do such a thing.

Where else in the series is it used?

Zoramon089 said:
And yet you think using a gag panel to prove a character's intelligence is fair...

I'm not the one that said it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Bleach

I love Don Kanonji's appearance! Comedy relief = Awesome.

I like Ichigo's 'training' arc too. It's gonna be pretty interesting seeing Tensa/Hollow Ichigo fight against Ichigo to control this new power. I don't like the appearance of Matsumoto in the end, though. Although...I hope they dwell into the past to see the relationship between her and Gin.

Naruto

Finally caught up with last week's chapter and this one. Great history of Naruto's birth and the removal of the nine tails from Naruto's mom. Finally we get to see what's up with the attack that was always mentioned in the manga. Pretty exciting stuff.

Anth0ny

DarthWoo said:
One Piece

I say 800,000,000+, a billion sounds about right.

Let's look at the criteria:

-Punched a Celestial Dragon (MAJOR, everyone seems to forget about this)
-Breaks into Impel Down (that's a no-no)
-Breaks prisoners OUT of Impel Down, including level 6 prisoners (Crocodile, Jimbei)
-Gets involved with the war at Marineford, knocks the fuck out of Vice Admiral Garp
-Is able to get the key to Ace's cuffs and break him free, a man who was to be executed

I'd say this criteria is more then enough for an 800,000,000 beri bounty. I predict we will see Buggy and Law's bounties as well next chapter.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Anth0ny said:

-Punched a Celestial Dragon (MAJOR, everyone seems to forget about this)
-Breaks prisoners OUT of Impel Down, including level 6 prisoners (Crocodile, Jimbei)
-Gets involved with the war at Marineford, knocks the fuck out of Vice Admiral Garp
-Is able to get the key to Ace's cuffs and break him free, a man who was to be executed

I'd say this criteria is more then enough for an 800,000,000 beri bounty. I predict we will see Buggy and Law's bounties as well next chapter.
Funnier if Buggy's bounty is higher. :lol :lol :lol

LCGeek

formerly sane
Rewrite said:
Bleach

I love Don Kanonji's appearance! Comedy relief = Awesome.

I like Ichigo's 'training' arc too. It's gonna be pretty interesting seeing Tensa/Hollow Ichigo fight against Ichigo to control this new power. I don't like the appearance of Matsumoto in the end, though. Although...I hope they dwell into the past to see the relationship between her and Gin.

Who said Don is necessarily comedy relief maybe he has something in store. After the shit Aizen has been saying specifically in regards to reason alone I think all bets are off from this point. I'm laughing all the way to bank as bleach unfolds from this point.

upandaway

Anth0ny said:

Having Luffy's bounty include his actions in Impel Down has NOTHING to do with the fact the public doesn't know about Impel Down. They can still just say hey this fucker's dangerous he did shit help us catch him.

Also, he is Ace's brother for all intents and purposes.

I think it's gonna be 1 billion but I'm hoping for 2 billion. I was constantly surprised by how large his new bounty was, every fucking time, and I'm not falling for it again. You guys are definitely going too low.

Edit: Also I'm gonna take a gamble and say Robin's bounty will increase too.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Since when have the bounties been in the newspaper? From memory they are distributed on leaflets by themselves

Anth0ny

upandaway said:
Having Luffy's bounty include his actions in Impel Down has NOTHING to do with the fact the public doesn't know about Impel Down. They can still just say hey this fucker's dangerous he did shit help us catch him.

Well, bounties just measure the threat against the World Government. I'd say being able to break into the greatest prison in the world makes you a pretty big threat, regardless whether the public knows or not.

Speaking of which, does the government usually make public the exact reasons for why bounties are increased?

*grabs volumes*

Doesn't look like it. If I had to sum it up in a line, I'd say the first bounty was for "For taking down a Warlord (Crocodile)". The next was "For declaring war on the World Government". This next increase, I'd imagine, would mainly be because of the punch. But seriously, Luffy has done so much shit since Enies Lobby, you really can't choose a single reason :lol

upandaway

Anth0ny said:
Well, bounties just measure the threat against the World Government. I'd say being able to break into the greatest prison in the world makes you a pretty big threat, regardless whether the public knows or not.
Yeah that's my point.

Edit: The no-no wasn't a "that won't have any influence over the bounty"? that would explain the confusion

Trickster

Himuro said:
You know what, I'm gonna bank on 800 million berry bounty as well. 600 is too low.

The highest bounty we've ever seen in One Piece is Doflamingo's bounty, which is 340 million. Do you honestly still think 600 is too low with that in mind? :lol

Personally I'd say his bounty is gonna be between 450 and 500 million.

Steroyd

DarthWoo said:
One Piece

Who knows, it could be a Duval moment and be whatever Rayleigh's proposed idea for going back to Saobody.

SaintR

Sorry guys but a quick question. I stumbled upon a baseball manga recently and can't for the life of me remember the name of it. The main character used to be an ace pitcher but throws out his arm after a surgery like in the first chapter or 2; he's suppose to become the cleanup batter (inferred in the opening of the manga). I think its only on chapter 7 or 8(or that's what I read so far), so any help would be appreciated

Veelk

Banned
BTW...I just noticed. Naruto is BORN with those whiskers. Wasn't it a running theme that each container have a mark of their beast whenever they are sealed within it? With Naruto being born with those whiskers, it kinda removes all significance from them. They're just birthmarks. Lame.

Trickster

Generic said:
BTW...I just noticed. Naruto is BORN with those whiskers. Wasn't it a running theme that each container have a mark of their beast whenever they are sealed within it? With Naruto being born with those whiskers, it kinda removes all significance from them. They're just birthmarks. Lame.

His the son of the nine-tails jinchuriki though, might be the reason.

Lain

The Lucifer and Bisquit Hammer 63

Nice way to end the battle, totally in line with those two crazy guys.
Is chapter 64 going to be the last one?

Dresden

Negima 295:

I love how Chisame always goes all meta and points out everything wrong about what's going on. "Wait... there's no foreshadowing at all!"

Generic said:
Well I guess their from being birthed by a jinchuuriki.

Hellion

Those wiskers on naruto confirm that Hes part kyubi. I guess that happens when a host gives birth?

Oh. And. FUCK YES MOAR ITACHI! Will he witness madara controlling the kyubi :3

Vox-Pop said:
I hope Kishi is not paying right now.
I can already imagine it plot hole and all.

9 Tails: Naruto I am your father!
Naruto: *Cries*
9 Tails: Your mom chained me up with her Chakra and raped me savagely. Madara also use to do the same to me as well.
*Naruto and 9 Tails holds hands after a heartwarming hug*

Yeah it's pretty weak, but seeing arm Sharingan I wouldn't doubt it could happen.

Combine

Banned
Crakatak187 said:
Yeah it's pretty weak, but seeing arm Sharingan I wouldn't doubt it could happen.
Ugh, I still cannot believe there was really such a thing as an arm Sharingan.

I thought it was a bad dream :(

Nocebo

Kreed said:
One Piece 591:
I like this theory somewhat, but the only issue I have is that now that he's an obedient robot, not only is he fully obedient to the World Government, but he could have compromised the Revolutionaries if Vegapunk was allowed to dig into his memories somehow. Plus, I doubt the information Kuma got was worth the Revolutionary army losing such a powerful ally to the world government. And I doubt Dragon wanted him to do that either. Kuma may as well have abandoned the mission by going into hiding/faking his death.

Regardless, I'm hoping for a proper explanation, either from Dragon or during Vegapunk's reveal.
Yeah, you're right that is a major hole you pointed out. I'm looking forward for the real explanation.
Speaking of Vegapunk, I can't wait for the reveal. I want to know his motivations for working with the government. Secretly I'm hoping he's just using the government for the sole reason they give him access to any resource he needs but isn't inherently sinister himself.

upandaway

Bakuman

Nothing much to say, pretty standard progression. They've been super vague about PCP though so I hope we get actual pages or something soon.

Nolan.

One Piece:
Awesome chapter, so glad to be able to genuinely say that since...a long time. I really like how it seems like they're drive to get to each other might end up also improving their individual skill set. I missed the crew and so glad that things are moving for the reunion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom