• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official PC vs Consoles Thread.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
biggest argument in favor of consoles is GAME PRESERVATION. and im not just talking archivists, i mean you will personally have that game ready and able to play for the next 10, 20, 30+ years. it's far easier to buy physical games on consoles, and those will always play on a base system. I can still pick up an NES cartridge and play it in an original NES system 30 years later.

PC is mostly digital only. for that reason you don't really own your games. even if you keep them on a backup, it is quite likely that the next hardware upgrade or version of Windows won't play nice with your game. at that point you're screwed. because you can't just dig your old console out of the closet to play the game. when people upgrade their machines, the old machine is gone.

just a big thing to factor in.

diffusionx

Gold Member
biggest argument in favor of consoles is GAME PRESERVATION. and im not just talking archivists, i mean you will personally have that game ready and able to play for the next 10, 20, 30+ years. it's far easier to buy physical games on consoles, and those will always play on a base system. I can still pick up an NES cartridge and play it in an original NES system 30 years later.

PC is mostly digital only. for that reason you don't really own your games. even if you keep them on a backup, it is quite likely that the next hardware upgrade or version of Windows won't play nice with your game. at that point you're screwed. because you can't just dig your old console out of the closet to play the game. when people upgrade their machines, the old machine is gone.

just a big thing to factor in.

Game preservation functionally doesn't exist anymore. Even the "physical versions" of console these days are not the actual shipped game, they often have 50 gig day one patches, and constant updates after, and you need the game installed to the hard drive with the disc acting as a key anyway. Remember on PC you can also play ROMs and use emulators that strive for accuracy and to do things exactly as the original console did (which, from a preservation point of view, can be even better than the real hardware, because it means someone went in, coded, and documented this in a very detailed way).

I don't think it is quite likely an upgrade or Windows will break anything... the classic game scene on PC is very strong at this point. My Steam account has everything I've bought since 2005 and I could download and play any of those tonight if I wanted to, on the hardware I play new games with. If there are incompatibility issues, I can find fixes more often than not. GOG also wraps up old games in a very customer friendly way.

rsouzadk

It does, are you saying that if someone goes to a console gamer's house and they see BFV being played and then they go to a PC gamer's house and they see BFV being played...….They won't say, hey my console buddy was just playing this game...….Instead they'd say my buddy was just playing PONG, what game is this, it looks incredible...….Rinse and repeat for every multiplat…...A few sharper shadows and slightly better AF does nothing to alter the visual makeup and feedback of these games, if they did offer such a visual uptick, it would, it would be hard for people to distinguish from the games, but that is certainly not the case......So if I play Farcry 5 on consoles and then on PC, I wouldn't think they were from the same devs right? I mean, come on......Do any side by side, console vs PC and tell me the consoles are left behind, I gave many videos, show me where Horizon looks different or Farcry or COD.....

So you have the specs, PC >XSEX>PS5.....Sounds more like dreams to me, and I'm not talking about the great looking exclusive by Media Molecule...….So many of you guys already have the specs. I'll tell you this and mark it.....This console gen is where we will see the most impressive games on consoles since the PS1 (3D era) and the introduction to HD era. PC guys. all they do is boast about hardware they have, when no developer is using that hardware....Getting 1000 frames on a 60hz monitor is all the rage on games built for consoles, games which would not even have been built without consoles.....I have good PC kit too, but I don't boast, because there's no reason....This 13TF plus custom engineering + Ryzen CPU will create the best looking games this gen by a country mile.....Tell devs to continue rendering hairworks in the entire openworld and keep it resident with no culling, tell them to go berserk on tessellation even places you don't see. So when PC heads cant run these un-optimized atrocities, they run to buy more expensive cards.....because my hairworks in FF dawg, my Smokeworks/Paperworks in Arkham dawg, my 3000 fps in Doom PC Dawg, all on a 60Hz monitor……...

At what point does this not ring a bell that a game is the experience. I enjoyed a classic years ago and now you guys on PC have so little exclusive content that measures to console games, you then start some campaign that all console games will come to PC. so you can boast in the future on some extra frames and higher rez…….You think playing Quake 3 at 4k 60fps makes you enjoy Quake now more than we did back in the day or Unreal? Come on guys

Console has been winning best looking games from millenia…...PS3 alone dominated visuals all of last gen.....1886, GOW, UC4 won tonnes of best visual awards. It may not be facts you like though, because if a multiplat wins best visuals, it's certainly in some year, it's not because PC won, they are most probably talking about the console version and highly probably played the console version...…...COD, RDR2, none of these are PC games to claim PC won anything.....I'll tell you something now.....LOU 2, Tshushima and Dreams will dominate visuals this year....

I mean these guys are pretending this is Shadow of Mordor on PS3 compared to the PS4 version......It's like if you saw the PC version of BFV and you saw the console version, it would be so visually advanced over console that no one would recognize it.....Yet, I posted 3 videos trying to point about these obvious differences and crickets.....I wish to see this obvious difference in these multiplats these PC guys like to talk about, show me how advanced BFV or Farcry is on Ultra PC vs console, show me the visual divide that's needs me to rush to get a 2080ti to play BFV at 4k 60fps after I have played it on console...…..Show me in a video....

Also can you give best visuals to a game that's not out yet? I'm talking Star Citizen, probably one of the most desperate visual pieces I've seen PC guys hold unto......There's not much in visual engineering in this game, there's really not much game in there also....I'm sure some guy is busy out there building a ship with every rut, nut and screw rendered at a good price for we unworthy lot.....Should be an easy 1 mil....going once, going twice......Sold to this 8080Ti owner in the back, who is now playing Horizon Zero Dawn 2 at a glorious 32k 1000fps.....The 60fps PS5 owners played it was "too damn low"......My 1000fps dawg.....

Hey, If you want to compare Predator PS4 to your 2080ti, I have no problems, whatever makes you happy.....Seems that your focus is only to show PC is greater than console, yeah a 2080ti runs rings around the PS4.....I'm sure you will run Predator at 4k 250fps no problem....

Again, all these rumors that you and your followers are clamoring for is not reality, they are in the rumormill.....I expected an announcement ages ago........Also, why would Sony prioritize PC over PS5.......Let's take you up on these rumors....If Horizon does come out on PC, you think PS5 wont have a version too? So a 13TF console would be able to play Horizon at 4K 60fps with many more bells and whistles, the same with DeathStranding........You think Horizon and Death Stranding on PS5 will look a world away from your 3080ti version?

.The Horizon you heard was being developed for the PC in my estimation was being developed on; (PlayStation Console, Premier Console) = PS5...….. Yes PS5 is PC and it's going to set the trend for gaming visuals, gaming Ai, gaming physics and gaming sound...….Yes that PC...The new generation of visuals does not start until the Consoles say so.....

It isn't only af and shadows. The amount of misinformation on this is outstanding. I have both, and i can see the differences in between BF5 consoles vs pc, EASILY. I don't even know why are you including another games like horizon (lol?) on the table. My post was about BF5. And pls, use periods and commas ffs, that will not hurt you.

So I already replied to TLW’s comment regarding not being able to tell the difference between Pro and PC games unless watching a DF breakdown

but I gotta add more

I downloaded FF15 thru game pass, downloaded the 4k texture pack, and the difference on my mid-range PC hooked to a 1440p monitor is night and day compared to my Pro on a 4k/HDR tv.

With everything maxed out and 3 of the 4 nvidia options turned on I’m averaging 58 FPS and the game looks phenomenal on PC, just added a slight sharpening filter to clear up the TAA blur. It’s a night and day difference and super responsive on PC. It’s not even close.

I'm a pc guy but I have to admit the hardware ageing isn't fair at all simply by pointing fingers at tech giants for not giving us the best of what they can offer , and please stop calling amds tech 2 years behind its rival cause it's not just amd.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So I already replied to TLW’s comment regarding not being able to tell the difference between Pro and PC games unless watching a DF breakdown

but I gotta add more

I downloaded FF15 thru game pass, downloaded the 4k texture pack, and the difference on my mid-range PC hooked to a 1440p monitor is night and day compared to my Pro on a 4k/HDR tv.

With everything maxed out and 3 of the 4 nvidia options turned on I’m averaging 58 FPS and the game looks phenomenal on PC, just added a slight sharpening filter to clear up the TAA blur. It’s a night and day difference and super responsive on PC. It’s not even close.

FFXV is one of the best looking games out there IMO, the PC version is demanding with a lot of extra features, and those extra features make the game look a lot better. It's not even close. Why do console fanboys pretend like these differences aren't there?

Yo
There wouldn't be an argument if you just said, "I prefer to have an exclusive game that won't show up anywhere else to justify my purchase". I'm ok with that, but don't try to say that the exclusive game "looks" better than anything the PC has because the developer somehow extracted some secret technology that can't be implemented or found on an arbitrary multiplatform game on the PC. This is the crux of every single PC vs. console argument and has to stop. It's a completely unfair test because you are allowing the superior art direction of a game to give you false ammunition to say that it can't be done on a PC -- which is completely false.

I'm saying that this generation will tell you the full story because the PC WILL be getting several 1st party PS exclusives and they will, guaranteed have better graphics features than the PS5/XSX. Your only defense will be "it doesn't look that much different" - which is a complete cop out move.

You can't tell in that image if it uses POM. At all.

LOU2 isn't out yet. GOW had no POM. UC4 didn't seem to have any either. You are going by dudes that don't have any experience in implementing those features in a development environment or have proven that they know the technical details of how to implement it. Those games could very well have normal mapping and/or a combination of displacement mapping.

I'll give you that one. But where is it in gameplay or is that just photo mode?

Fair enough. And YOU should take your own advice. You assume these guys that do the articles know what they are looking at (FACT factory) vs someone who's implemented these features for years. There are several games that I thought was using POM until I tested them and found that they were not.
You don't need to look further, just look at the original FEAR which is older than the ps4 and even the ps3 and somehow it runs better than 99.99% of other consoles games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
qpNTMqA.jpg

SONY was wrong on this, I thought the PS4 wouldn't resort to gimmicks and if you would look at the imagine above I added VR and extra hard drive space and it makes the console look like a gimmick from the 80s and think it hurts the Playstation 4's image.

sega-genesis-mini-tower-6-1200x900.jpg

There might be a new console coming out soon with those features built in to start, and choosing your HD space.

Well I just sold my X1X and soley on PC gaming now. First time I havent had an xbox in my home since the original release. PC is just unbeatable. Better deals, graphics, game prices, free multiplayer, mods, more games, and you could always emulate the other systems for the most part. Mods alone are worth it. If anything, Im going PC and PS5 next gen since sony exclusives are on another level.

TheContact

I hate this argument because it ultimately comes down to preference. I prefer PC gaming because I like building my own machines, tweaking them out, and using a mouse and keyboard with a monitor. Sometimes though I just want to lie down on the couch and use a controller.

Kenpachii

Microsoft should just release a keyboard + mouse + windows OS dual boot for there xbox series X i think a lot of PC gamers could jump over then. When they can just use it as a prebuild PC.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I started off PC gaming in the 90's and slowly incorporated console gaming in as something more portable and with different games to choose from. In terms of quality, until recently (past 10-years) most consoles were still far off in terms of high definition texture filtering in comparison to what a gaming PC could do. Right now, they seem to be closer and offering the same or similar titles for both. I'm using both (Flight Simulator and other Steam games for PC) and everything else is a mix of 1st-present gen consoles.

Top Bottom