• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official (Spoilerific) Dead Rising thread

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
MMaRsu said:
The only thing I don't like about this game is the fvcking AI of the survivors. They are getting me very angry...
True, my only gripe with it. MMaRsu did you unlock the shortcut after killing Adam? Unlock the shortcut. Use the ride's control panel after killing him.

duckroll

Okay, I'm not going to hang around in the thread much until I actually beat it, but I wanted to chime in with my progress so far.

I'm on the 2nd night,
on my way to meet Isabella at midnight
and so far I've defeated
the Hatchet Man and the family of snipers.
I also encountered
Adam the clown and the guy in the gun store. I couldn't beat Adam and the next day I missed the scoop. I only encountered the gun store guy on a play session that ended in death, so I don't know if I can make it back before he expires too.

Overall, the game has been VERY enjoyable. I'm a huge fan of free-form non-linear gameplay and I'm all for this. I missed some stuff and several survivors have died so far, but hey there's always time for replays.

I really like the blade weapons in the game and I just found a Battle Axe while saving someone in the antique store. He was so morbid about the situation that he wouldn't leave so I started breaking stuff in the store while he was rambling. :D

I also willingly let Leah die because she's the most annoying goddamn survivor I've met so far. It wasn't even worth saving her. :lol

The boss battles being non-zombie in nature add a lot of dimension to the game imo, since it's true in all great zombie movies that while the zombies are a threat and overwhelming in numbers, the real horrors are what humans do when they go mad in such scenarios. Great to see Capcom finally making a game that does classic zombie movies justice. ^_^

MMaRsu

Banned
Nino said:
True, my only gripe with it. MMaRsu did you unlock the shortcut after killing Adam? Unlock the shortcut. Use the ride's control panel after killing him.

Yeah just did that last night, first two times I finished the game without this because I didn't kill Adam, but this time this sucka was toast :lol . That shortcut is really convenient :)

Ugh, WTF? I've had no problems with the game at all.. finished it once, on my second time through.. the second day has just started (it's like one in the morning) so I save.. no problems.

I loaded up the game today, play for about 5 minutes. I go outside where those damn prisoner guys on that jeep thing are, and I'm running... running... running.. and the game freezes. Ok, not a big deal, that's the first time. I restart the system. Try the same thing. The game freezes at the loading screen that would take me outside to where I just was.

Ok, dammit. Let's avoid that area, I guess. I'm only leaving the security(safe) area this time, and it freezes at a loading screen.

What the hell should I do? I've played quite a few hours before and have had no problems. Nothing wrong with it. Now it freezes three times in 5 minutes. I guess I could try to start a new game, as I'm not THAT far into this new playthrough, but I'd rather not.

My 360 is most likely ****ed, isn't it? Since I have a launch system, I'm just expecting this thing to die anyday now. I'll try a different game later... but frankly, I'm a bit scared to.

MMaRsu

Banned
Biglesworth23 said:
Ugh, WTF? I've had no problems with the game at all.. finished it once, on my second time through.. the second day has just started (it's like one in the morning) so I save.. no problems.

I loaded up the game today, play for about 5 minutes. I go outside where those damn prisoner guys on that jeep thing are, and I'm running... running... running.. and the game freezes. Ok, not a big deal, that's the first time. I restart the system. Try the same thing. The game freezes at the loading screen that would take me outside to where I just was.

Ok, dammit. Let's avoid that area, I guess. I'm only leaving the security(safe) area this time, and it freezes at a loading screen.

What the hell should I do? I've played quite a few hours before and have had no problems. Nothing wrong with it. Now it freezes three times in 5 minutes. I guess I could try to start a new game, as I'm not THAT far into this new playthrough, but I'd rather not.

My 360 is most likely ****ed, isn't it? Since I have a launch system, I'm just expecting this thing to die anyday now. I'll try a different game later... but frankly, I'm a bit scared to.

Try other games or playing without HDD attached :)

BuddyC

MMaRsu said:
The only thing I don't like about this game is the fvcking AI of the survivors. They are getting me very angry...
It gets easier once you become aware that you can give weapons to the various survivors. Most tend to like shotguns and handguns, just walk up to them and a "B Give" icon will pop up if they can accept that particular weapons.

Well... I tried playing the game without the hard drive for about 15 minutes.. no problems at all. Ran outside to where it froze before. No problems.

Put hard drive back in.. tried my previous save. Yup, froze within a minute or two, as soon as I left headquarters. So now, since I'm close to the "Image in monitor" event, I'm just going to stand and wait till that activates, and then move out. Perhaps it's just something with this particular time of day, where I am in the game, etc. I'm willing to try anything. :p

If it freezes after this event, I'll start a new game with my current character. If it freezes after that... ugh.

EDIT: Well.. it's official. I think my system is dying. Not dead yet, but getting there. Dead Rising froze after the next event kicked in. I tried playing the Just Cause demo. Froze. Perfect Dark Zero... second mission, about two minutes in.. froze. Took out the hard drive. Played Perfect Dark on the first mission. Froze with these green lines across the screen.

UGH.

MMaRsu

Banned
BuddyC said:
It gets easier once you become aware that you can give weapons to the various survivors. Most tend to like shotguns and handguns, just walk up to them and a "B Give" icon will pop up if they can accept that particular weapons.

Nah it's not that, it's just that they walk into eachother and walls and stuff..If you have like 5 or 6 survivors they can't make it out of the bathroom normally! Also they can't jump on the little platform which leads to the pipes/security room..Well not if there are more than 2 survivors anyway..

Biglesworth23 said:
Well.. it's official. I think my system is dying. Not dead yet, but getting there. Dead Rising froze after the next event kicked in. I tried playing the Just Cause demo. Froze. Perfect Dark Zero... second mission, about two minutes in.. froze. Took out the hard drive. Played Perfect Dark on the first mission. Froze with these green lines across the screen.

UGH.

Yeah sorry to break it to you, but you're 360 is dead :(. But after it's been to MS they will bring it back to life! The Dead are Rising!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
MMaRsu said:
Nah it's not that, it's just that they walk into eachother and walls and stuff..If you have like 5 or 6 survivors they can't make it out of the bathroom normally! Also they can't jump on the little platform which leads to the pipes/security room..Well not if there are more than 2 survivors anyway..

the pathfinding does suck, but survivors tend to behave a little better if you hold r and mark a spot for them than if you ask them to follow you. helps with that ledge leading to the security room.

Xenon

So I am trying to save everyone, which to my surprise turns out to be a blast. But I must have missed
021 Bill Brenton
Is there anyway to get him on the second half of day two or day three?

Xenon said:
So I am trying to save everyone, which to my surprise turns out to be a blast. But I must have missed
021 Bill Brenton
Is there anyway to get him on the second half of day two or day three?

I don't really remember the name but I think one of the early 20s is the guy you save from the
photographer

Captain N

I just got this game yesterday and have been playing it quite a bit. I don't understand why it only lets you save once, but at least I can carry over my level and all that jazz. Some of these achievements are crazy.

sangreal

Captain N said:
I just got this game yesterday and have been playing it quite a bit. I don't understand why it only lets you save once, but at least I can carry over my level and all that jazz. Some of these achievements are crazy.

Just to be clear, you can save as many times as you want. You are only limited to one save SLOT, which means you always have to overwrite your previous save.

Captain N

sangreal said:
Just to be clear, you can save as many times as you want. You are only limited to one save SLOT, which means you always have to overwrite your previous save.

Are you serious? All this time I only even tried to save it once because I was under the impression it was one save per turn.

Captain N

I've got a quick question about the break 100 items achievement.

If I grab a thing of 30 dishes and break all of them does that count as one item or 30?

MMaRsu

Banned
Captain N said:

If I grab a thing of 30 dishes and break all of them does that count as one item or 30?

I'd say one item.

raYne

Captain N said:
Are you serious? All this time I only even tried to save it once because I was under the impression it was one save per turn.
:lol

I wonder how much of the "You only have one save?!" uproar was caused by this kind of confusion?

Captain N said:

I agree with MMaRsu. I'd say it'd count as one item as well.

What's the rush? You'll do it eventually.

Captain N

raYne said:
:lol

I wonder how much of the "You only have one save?!" uproar was caused by this kind of confusion?

I agree with MMaRsu. I'd say it'd count as one item as well.

What's the rush? You'll do it eventually.

I know I'll do it sooner or later, but do the things with killing 1,000 zombies and all that jazz..does that all come from one play through? Like if I die and start back from the begining does my kills and breaks all get reset?

raYne

Captain N said:
I know I'll do it sooner or later, but do the things with killing 1,000 zombies and all that jazz..does that all come from one play through? Like if I die and start back from the begining does my kills and breaks all get reset?
Yep. Everything like that has to be done in one playthrough. As you said, the totals don't carry over, just your stats/gained moves.

Captain N

raYne said:
Yep. Everything like that has to be done in one playthrough. As you said, the totals don't carry over, just your stats/gained moves.

This is one game I don't mind playing through over and over again. I'm having a blasty blast with this game.

cvxfreak

I got this last weekend and am having a blast.

But can we take survivors through the ladies' room shortcut? I have the two Japanese tourists with me and they won't go through the shortcut for some reason.

cvxfreak said:
I got this last weekend and am having a blast.

But can we take survivors through the ladies' room shortcut? I have the two Japanese tourists with me and they won't go through the shortcut for some reason.

They need to be close enough. Like, in the bathroom.

Adaox

I've gone through the game a few times now, but the little building in the Leisure Park next to Colby's Movieland has never opened up. It's got the door that reads "locked from the other side" when you try to open it. What opens up this door?

Adaox said:
I've gone through the game a few times now, but the little building in the Leisure Park next to Colby's Movieland has never opened up. It's got the door that reads "locked from the other side" when you try to open it. What opens up this door?

Make sure the cultists gas you and capture you...

Baron

Just bought an Xbox 360 earlier this month and Dead Rising is on my radar as a game to buy. I was considering buying the Games on Demand download version, but I really like having the disc for games. Is DR a game to be played over and over, kinda like a score attack? I could justify a download-only game if I played it often, because of convenience.

Baron said:
Just bought an Xbox 360 earlier this month and Dead Rising is on my radar as a game to buy. I was considering buying the Games on Demand download version, but I really like having the disc for games. Is DR a game to be played over and over, kinda like a score attack? I could justify a download-only game if I played it often, because of convenience.

You'll definitely have multiple playthroughs, it's designed that way. You'l miss a ton of stuff your first time through.

Baron

gregor7777 said:
You'll definitely have multiple playthroughs, it's designed that way. You'l miss a ton of stuff your first time through.

Yeah? I played the demo and could definitely get that vibe, but just wanted to be sure it wasn't like a "one-time playthrough and you've done everything" kind of game. Buying it now, thanks!

Top Bottom