• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Spore Thread

Surfheart said:
I've got a 2.4ghz/2Gb Macbook pro with the 256mb 8600m GT and it runs smooth maxed.

Same specs here, good to know how well it runs that helps ease my worries :)

When are they gonna' have this bitch at the Mac store?

cmmart

I was just on the new Spore page. Loads of a great features.
I added everyone from the OP to my buddy list and left
feedback on your respective creatures. Such a cool social
networking device.

BTW, good to know about 2.4 Macbook Pro. Thanks.

Sharp

Some dude found our solar system:
foundearth.jpg

foundearth2.jpg

It apparently contains every planet except for Pluto.

no kuiper belt objects??? sales -1 death & wee etc.

nah but seriously. i didn't realise this was out. and it is. how...... anticlimactic.

Sharp said:
Like whatever
Get with the times, man!!!

But yeah, on topic: I just finished the creature stage...
Um.. I'm not sure how to feel about the game so far.
It's interesting, to say the least... but it's not very deep. The thing I like the most in the game is the creature creator and the evolution of your species. It's awesome.
The cell stage was pretty uninspired (flOw), and the creature stage was just monotonous.

Still, it's not without it's charm.... and I've only scratched the surface, so to speak.

Well, back to the game!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Well. Bought and installing. Never expected myself to do it on a whim just because Sol was in-game :lol

Teknoman

Earth? Wow. I wonder if its populated with normalish animals when you land. Not prehistoric since it doesnt look like Pangaea...Why didnt he land? Ugh game is taking too long.

The creature creator was a huge success here, I just hope enough people get the full game to make a GAF universe. If not...then guess i'll make due :lol

Sharp

Teknoman said:
Earth? Wow. I wonder if its populated with normalish animals when you land. Not prehistoric since it doesnt look like Pangaea...Why didnt he land? Ugh game is taking too long.

The creature creator was a huge success here, I just hope enough people get the full game to make a GAF universe. If not...then guess i'll make due :lol
From what they said there was no life on it, but they were in the process of colonizing Mars.

Teknoman

legend166 said:
Someone make a GAF universe.

Well with enough people, if we only subscribe to our podcasts, we could have more than enough unique creatures, vehicles, and buildings.

However does it add the exact planet name to your universe, or just the creatures?

Stryder

Hey guys, loving the game so far, nearing the end of the creature stage but want to get my guy just right before moving on.

My Spore id is "Denright"

Feel free to add me! The more user-created creatures in my worlds the better. :D

Sharp

Teknoman said:
Well with enough people, if we only subscribe to our podcasts, we could have more than enough unique creatures, vehicles, and buildings.

However does it add the exact planet name to your universe, or just the creatures?
I'm like 90% sure it's just your creatures and other content, but there's a distant possibility that planets are involved as well. But I get the impression that the service is tied to Sporepedia, so since planets are not in Sporepedia they're unlikely to be shared.

Shawsie64

Banned
Okay i went at bought it with a mate in our lunch breaks and I just want to grab some beer and go home and play it but iv got a date after work....

What should I do GAF, ditch the date and play spore?

Teknoman

Shawsie64 said:
Okay i went at bought it with a mate in our lunch breaks and I just want to grab some beer and go home and play it but iv got a date after work....

What should I do GAF, ditch the date and play spore?

Date and then play Spore. That way you're one step closer to creating new life in both worlds. :lol

Poona

Mdk7 said:
a quick question for those lucky bastards who are already having fun with evolution...
Is it easy to import the creature you've previously created with the Creature Creator? Cause of course i'd love to play the game with some of my babies...

And what about the other species you encounter on the planet during the Creature phase? Are them just random made or taken from your own creations? Cause it would be rad if you could encounter species you have created before...

Please answer me guys, thanks!

You can't play as any of the creatures you've created in the Creature Creator. Well at least to start with, as you have to start as a cell and then you gain other parts along the way, that you can add to your creature. I think you can possibly play as one of your Creatures if you decide to replay a stage later on again, but I'm still going through it all for the first time so haven't explored that much yet.

The species I've encountered in the Creature stage have been a mix of Maxis created creatures as well as those that I have downloaded from the Spore site (you can download creatures from the Spore site from within the game's Sporepedia.. you don't need to actually go to spore.com in a web browser and download the images, etc), as well as creatures from people I have chosen to be 'Buddies' with. I haven't looked much into the sporecast system yet, I find it ok just to be buddies with people so far.

Oh and yes.. I have encountered one of the creatures I created as well, so it was good fun befriending them! :)

If anyone is interested in seeing my progress (along with the pretty cool achievements) so far my profile is here:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/farronfox

Stryder said:
Hey guys, loving the game so far, nearing the end of the creature stage but want to get my guy just right before moving on.

My Spore id is "Denright"

Feel free to add me! The more user-created creatures in my worlds the better. :D

Same! I've already completed the Creature stage and so can progress to the Tribal level, whenever but I'm just enjoying hanging out in the Creature stage as long as possible to find as many parts as I can, gain as much DNA and befriend as many creatures as I can.

Just noticed the Spore site is down though and so I can't even log in properly to the game. I'll check your creatures out when I next go into it. Can be quite fun to find other people's creatures playing the role of 'Epics'! :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Too busy playing it to actually give impressions :lol

Anyway my Spore account is speedpop as well if you want to add it. At the moment my creation is just an omnivore not doing much besides striking alliances and occasionally killing the aggressive.

Waikis

Well I 've only played for avout 10 hours so far.

The early stages are pretty much preparation for your space age .The choices that you make early in the game will of course be carried to the latter stages. For example ,early in the game ,my creature was fitted with a body part that gives stealth ability. Later on ,in the tribal stages ,where it plays like RTS ,my creatures are able to launch a sneak attack to the nearby villages .:D

I find the early stages to be quite short .Heck, you can even fire an ICBM missile which instantly destroys all the civilization in the map :lol .

my account: Kleopard

Dever

Banned
So, GAF, is this game awesome y/n? I need something to play on my Mac. The creature creator ran great on my 1.83 ghz Intel Core Duo, so it should be alright at least?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Got mine yesterday. Bit disappointed by the creature phase, but tribal is fun.

My account, shockingly, is alistairw. What I lack in naming imagination, I hopefully make up for in creature creation brilliance.

My impressions pt 2:

The Tribe stage has to have THE worst pathfinding AI in the history of videogames. It's godawful and absolutely frustrating at times ("WHAT THE FUCK! There's nothing in between you and the enemy, fucking attack him!").

Ugh.
Thankfully, I just reached Civilization, so here's hoping it gets better.

Overall, the game is alright.
I absolutely love the evolution bit in the Creature stage... it's excellent. However, it's clear that the MAIN focus of the game during development was customization (Cell/Creature customization = evolution; Tribe customization = equipment), because most of the other game mechanics seem to be afterthoughts or not thought out very well at all (Tribe = worst RTS ever; Creature = food chain simulator, with a rhythm game if you choose to play it out peacefully; Cell = flOw).

Meh... I'm starting to regret my purchase...
Again, here's hoping it picks up.

MMaRsu

Banned
Revolutionary said:
My impressions pt 2:

The Tribe stage has to have THE worst pathfinding AI in the history of videogames. It's godawful and absolutely frustrating at times ("WHAT THE FUCK! There's nothing in between you and the enemy, fucking attack him!").

Ugh.
Thankfully, I just reached Civilization, so here's hoping it gets better.

Overall, the game is alright.
I absolutely love the evolution bit in the Creature stage... it's excellent. However, it's clear that the MAIN focus of the game during development was customization (Cell/Creature customization = evolution; Tribe customization = equipment), because most of the other game mechanics seem to be afterthoughts or not thought out very well at all (Tribe = worst RTS ever; Creature = food chain simulator, with a rhythm game if you choose to play it out peacefully; Cell = flOw).

Meh... I'm starting to regret my purchase...
Again, here's hoping it picks up.

Dude you haven't even gotten to the space era yet! Wtf

Farnack

Banned
Is everything from the start to space age short?

I mean, the game isn't suppose to be even out, and everyone's in space or something. >_>

Sharp

Revolutionary said:
Is that when the game is supposed to pick up?
In the very last stage?

:\
It only takes about five or six hours to get there, and then the stage itself lasts way longer than all of the others combined. The other four stages are basically preparation for Space, and at least according to the developers their goal was that over 50% of people who played would make it to Space. Space actually has a sort of endgame goal that is fairly difficult to achieve.
Farnack said:
Is everything from the start to space age short?

I mean, the game isn't suppose to be even out, and everyone's in space or something. >_>
Again--everyone's supposed to be in space now. We're all gamers, we get through the tutorial-esque stages relatively quickly. But the first four stages were designed specifically to make it relatively easy to get to Space (which is also the part that Will Wright actually spent the most time on), even for people whose only other gaming experience was something like The Sims.

Nocebo

Revolutionary said:
Is that when the game is supposed to pick up?
In the very last stage?

:\
Will Wright used to say that all the other stages were more like a tutorial for the space phase.

Sharp said:
It only takes about five or six hours to get there, and then the stage itself lasts way longer than all of the others combined. The other four stages are basically preparation for Space, and at least according to the developers their goal was that over 50% of people who played would make it to Space. Space actually has a sort of endgame goal that is fairly difficult to achieve.
Hmm.

Well then... I look forward to finishing Civilization tomorrow and entering the Spage Age.

Sharp

IGN just gave it an 8.8 :lol

Edit: From the review:
IGN said:
The first time you play through, at least until you get to the fifth, galactic stage, you'll be confused and disappointed it's a sequence of fairly dissociated mini-games, like you've bought a Wii party game by mistake. The rules of play change at each stage and they seem brief and crude – just standalone ideas rather than part of a cohesive masterplan. As it transpires, it's not quite that simple. There's a definite bigger picture, but you only really see it once you've spent some time in space and then come back right to the start with a brand new creature.
More...
IGN said:
And so to space. Finally, Spore stops being mini-games and becomes a game – a massive, elaborate and surprisingly hardcore game. It's a kind of cartoon Elite, roaming an astonishingly huge universe at will, meeting countless new species, colonising new planets, trading, waging war, performing quests and remaking worlds. It's maximalist gaming, shoving in an incredible amount of ideas whilst keeping the interface simple. While you're given a purpose of sorts, and a potential nemesis, what space is really about is applying what you're learned and done before now on a mass scale.
So again, I urge you all to at least play around some in the Space Stage, since that's what ties the whole thing together (well, that and the editors, but everyone already knew they were awesome).

Sharp said:

Edit: From the review:

So again, I urge you all to at least play around some in the Space Stage, since that's what ties the whole thing together (well, that and the editors, but everyone already knew they were awesome).

Funny enough I just got through reading the AU IGN review where they gave it 9.2

http://pc.ign.com/articles/907/907287p1.html

These number systems are so arbitrary.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
This sort of thing is exactly what I was afraid of from everything I heard about this game - that it would be a creature sandbox with a thin gameplay shell rather than an actual full-fledged game. I'm skeptical about a purchase at this point, sandboxes don't tend to keep me entertained very long. I hardly even touched the creature creator.

Sharp

Zek said:
This sort of thing is exactly what I was afraid of from everything I heard about this game - that it would be a creature sandbox with a thin gameplay shell rather than an actual full-fledged game. I'm skeptical about a purchase at this point, sandboxes don't tend to keep me entertained very long. I hardly even touched the creature creator.
The whole point of the game is really to go from structure gameplay to the huge sandbox / game of the space stage (which from all the reviews and impressions I've heard is pretty deep) so if you don't like exploration, creating stuff and sandbox gameplay then you probably shouldn't get the game, since that's really what it's fundamentally about. The sandbox aspect is one of the big reasons I've been excited for the game so long, but it seems like some people were not expecting one even after everything else Will Wright has created.

GC|Simon

I got the game yesterday and I'm a bit disappointet. The first two stages were really boring. Just walk around, eat monsters, kill you neighbours. You don't have much money / DNA to improve your creature. The tribe stage was a bit better. Really good was the civ stage. I love to create my own car, house, ... now I'm in the space stage and the game is getting again boring.

The game isn't shit, but it's not a big hit. Sure, it is fun to create a own species but the game is to linear. And every single stage plays like the light version of games like AoE, ...

Zek said:

I love sandbox games. The Sims, SimCity, etc. The only thing that turns me off potentially is having to go through some of the phases I might not like although I guess people say you can skip them although that would feel weird to me.

The first stage and the last stage sound terrific to me but the RTS stages not so much.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
My biggest issue so far is the fact that while there's a wealth of things you can put on your creation in the creature stage, there's really no reason to do anything other than constantly upgrade to the most powerful parts. In fact, there's not even any point keeping the old parts, because they're worth more as trade-ins.

Just seems to suck a lot of the life out of it.

alistairw said:
My biggest issue so far is the fact that while there's a wealth of things you can put on your creation in the creature stage, there's really no reason to do anything other than constantly upgrade to the most powerful parts. In fact, there's not even any point keeping the old parts, because they're worth more as trade-ins.

How do you mean most powerful?

I was hoping it was more like customization where it's like any choice is potentially valid...

alistairw said:

This is my biggest disappointment. I hope its a bug, in the creature creator adding more things added the score together. So you could add 4 armorpieces for health + 4, instead of health +1 from the first one and the other three are cosmetic as it is now. :/

So far i find cell the best stage, together with creature. Tribal & civ are boring pieces of shit and space is frustrating thanks to all the goddamn pirate attacks all the time. Stupid homeworld which cant defend itself.

Stoney Mason said:

I was hoping it was more like customization where it's like any choice is potentially valid...
Each part has a score (like bite +1 for a mouth, or bite +5 for another mouth). This is the biggest problem, there is no reason to use the bite +1 mouth except for aesthetic reasons. But if you do that you're making the game much harder for yourself. It's so fucked up stupid that i have no idea why Maxis thought this was a good idea.

Sharp

Stoney Mason said:

If you used the creature creator, you saw that there were stats on the right. In the vehicle editor the parts are just applied proportionately, but in the creature stage there are certain parts that are definitely better. But I also feel that choosing your creature's parts solely based on their stats in the creature stage is missing a big part of what Spore is about.
HarryHengst said:
This is my biggest disappointment. I hope its a bug, in the creature creator adding more things added the score together. So you could add 4 armorpieces for health + 4, instead of health +1 from the first one and the other three are cosmetic as it is now. :/

So far i find cell the best stage, together with creature. Tribal & civ are boring pieces of shit and space is frustrating thanks to all the goddamn pirate attacks all the time. Stupid homeworld which cant defend itself.

Each part has a score (like bite +1 for a mouth, or bite +5 for another mouth). This is the biggest problem, there is no reason to use the bite +1 mouth except for aesthetic reasons. But if you do that you're making the game much harder for yourself. It's so fucked up stupid that i have no idea why Maxis thought this was a good idea.
I'm pretty sure Maxis did it because otherwise there was no incentive to find more parts later in the Creature Game. I know there are Space phase upgrades for dealing with the pirate attacks issue, but the general aggression of the AI is I think something that is likely to be patched quickly since a number of people have complained about it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sharp said:
:lol

I'm still buying it, dammit! I paid $10 for the creature creator too! I will see my max stat realistic PEINS monster in the wild, so help me...!

Sharp said:
I'm pretty sure Maxis did it because otherwise there was no incentive to find more parts later in the Creature Game.
The incentive should be finding parts for their aesthetic quality to give your creature the exact look you want it to have. Now its the other way around, you keep searching for things to improve the skills, not the looks of your creature.

Amarox

HarryHengst said:
Well, it only really matters in the creature stage. It doesn't matter what stats the parts your creature has (Except for Health) once it reaches the Tribal stage, at least as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom