• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Spore Thread

Mallika

Mdk7 said:
Even if YESTERDAY i said that i was not gonna buy the game for some time, i just came home with the Galactic Edition. :p
49 euros, i could NOT refuse the offer...

Haven't even installed the game yet, but WOW at the 120 pages "The Art of Spore" booklet... AMAZING, i do love that kind of stuff (and i wish more games had that).
Where did you get the Galactic Edition for 49 euros? :O

Mdk7

Mallika said:
Where did you get the Galactic Edition for 49 euros? :O
Mediaworld (Italy).
They had a few copies there and i couldn't say no...Also because the standard edition is sold at 55 euros at Gamestops. @_@

Teknoman

Im still going to treat all the stages as the whole game. Calling the early stages "glorified mini-games" is a bit much.

Sephon said:
That scares me a lot.
It seems that this so-called sandobox game is all about domination in every level. Dominate at cell-stage, dominate at creature-stage, dominate at tribal-stege, dominate at civilisation-stage and finally even at space-stage.
It'd be nice to play around and evolve, create and unlock stuff instead of defending and attacking all the time.

Isnt that kinda what real life is like anyway? And its supposed to be a life-evolution game right? :lol

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hey all. I don't call it a "review," but I wrote about my impressions of playing "Spore" for the past week over at Multiplayer. Here's the start...
In a medium of sequels EA’s long awaited “Spore” distinguishes itself as a piece of software that escapes the gravitational pull of the games that came before it. It reaches players in a state that is both polished and flawed, so novel that it demands to be played.

The five-games-in-one simulation of cellular-to-interstellar life will look familiar to gamers in glimpses. But it feels, when controlled for a week, like nothing else.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/04/spore-after-one-week/

(I've fallen just short of finishing the game. It's pretty long.)

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
TwiztidElf said:
Tribal and Civilization stages have cooled me considerably on this game. :(
The game has become a mediocre RTS.

Tribal's easily the weakest. But Space certainly bounces the game back.

MMaRsu

Banned
TwiztidElf said:
Tribal and Civilization stages have cooled me considerably on this game. :(
The game has become a mediocre RTS.

Lol...they are only an hour long or something :lol

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Lol...they are only an hour long or something

Not if you're going for an economic victory in Civilization and wind up having to fend off a military attack that drastically cuts off your options. That mode took me a few hours to get out of that bind.

Amarox

stephentotilo said:
Tribal's easily the weakest. But Space certainly bounces the game back.
I think Civilization is the weakest. At least in the the Tribal stage, the AI doesn't continually spam you with units.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Fucking brilliant timing for Australians, EA. Really great. Servers down the night it officially launches.

Mdk7

I'm playing it offline, got the Cell stage (cool!) and now i'm in the creature one... but i have a problem with the editor: how come it's not possible to actually erase parts?
I have played countless hours with the CC during the summer and i know how it should work... but here it's a little different: if i just click with the mouse on a part it copies it instead of moving it, it's impossible to erase something i had placed before on my creature, i can't either adjust the spine (save for making the vertebrae fat) nor change the junction placement... any help?
Thanks!

EDIT: just after i posted it worked right (like in the usual CC) for a couple of minutes and it's started to fuck things up...AGAIN. O____O

Sephon

Mdk7 said:
I'm playing it offline, got the Cell stage (cool!) and now i'm in the creature one... but i have a problem with the editor: how come it's not possible to actually erase parts?
I have played countless hours with the CC during the summer and i know how it should work... but here it's a little different: if i just click with the mouse on a part it copies it instead of moving it, it's impossible to erase something i had placed before on my creature, i can't either adjust the spine (save for making the vertebrae fat) nor change the junction placement... any help?
Thanks!

EDIT: just after i posted it worked right (like in the usual CC) for a couple of minutes and it's started to fuck things up...AGAIN. O____O

It seems that the game thinks that afunction-key is pressed. Either your keyboard is messy or you found a bug. Try pressing alt/shift/control or whatever key it is that should allow you to copy parts instead of moving them, it might be inverted.

Almyn

Online seems to be working now, At least in game. The log in on the site is still down.
My spore account is Almyn, If anyone would like to add me.

I've only played for a hour or so this afternoon but i really like what i have played so far. The cell stage was really basic but still fun. And it introduced the creture edit mode well. I love the graphical style also, And i'm surprised at how well it runs on my out of date computer.

Mdk7

Sephon said:
It seems that the game thinks that afunction-key is pressed. Either your keyboard is messy or you found a bug. Try pressing alt/shift/control or whatever key it is that should allow you to copy parts instead of moving them, it might be inverted.
My keyboard is 101% fine, i am pretty sure about that...
Another thing that is not working for me are the letter shortcuts: if for example i press Z nothing happens (while i should go into stealth...).

:(

Damn it sucks! Nobody can please help me?

ravien56

2 questions
1. is this game out?
2. will this run on my imac? I checked the OP and it said you needed a dual core imac....I got one of those...but im not sure if its dual core...I bought the first gen imacs

Amarox

mh56 said:
2 questions
1. is this game out?
2. will this run on my imac? I checked the OP and it said you needed a dual core imac....I got one of those...but im not sure if its dual core...I bought the first gen imacs

Do you have an intel iMac? It will only run on an intel Mac.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Amarox said:
I think Civilization is the weakest. At least in the the Tribal stage, the AI doesn't continually spam you with units.

Ahh. They do that in Space stage too! Watch out. Once another species declares war on you it's very hard to get them to back down.

Xater

I am loving this game but I really hate that the server don't work. They worked for me yesterday but at some point stopped. I have read on a German board that they will be up again at 00:30 local time.

Amarox

stephentotilo said:
Ahh. They do that in Space stage too! Watch out. Once another species declares war on you it's very hard to get them to back down.
Yes, I noticed that, but it hasn't been as bad so far. Although I am still only a Commodore.
My main problem with Space so far is that my ships weapons are really weak. I can't find anything powerful and I'm having a hard time fighting everyone with just the minor proton missile.

Xater

Amarox said:
Yes, I noticed that, but it hasn't been as bad so far. Although I am still only a Commodore.
My main problem with Space so far is that my ships weapons are really weak. I can't find anything powerful and I'm having a hard time fighting everyone with just the minor proton missile.

When you rank up you can buy new weapons. I have a laser that destroys cities like they are nothing.

Let's just say Genocide was never that easy....

MNC

Is installing supposed to be this slow at the start? Every little file like a gif or html takes half a second instead of going VROOM.

Yeah, the start of the install process is slow as hell.

I cannot log in ingame :( It works fine on the page, but ingame it wants to connect my account and then it says "login failed" or something like that :(

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Amarox said:

Are you checking in on your badges? I have two ranks to go before finishing the game, and it's now making a lot more sense to consciously pursue certain badges than to just play around and serendipitously get some. Gaining enough of them levels you up nicely.

How are you guys who are playing Space making money? Unless I'm missing something, all transactions have to be done manually -- selling ore from planet to planet, finding and selling artifacts, etc. Is there no way to have the income slowly accrue on its own once you have lots of colonies and trade routes? Or am I missing something?

Thomper

Caesar III said:
I cannot log in ingame :( It works fine on the page, but ingame it wants to connect my account and then it says "login failed" or something like that :(
Me too. Anyone know if this is a problem with the game or if my PC is fucking up?

Amarox

stephentotilo said:
Are you checking in on your badges? I have two ranks to go before finishing the game, and it's now making a lot more sense to consciously pursue certain badges than to just play around and serendipitously get some. Gaining enough of them levels you up nicely.
I have had a look at the badges, but I don't know what unlock does what. What's a badge that unlocks effective anti-spaceship weapons?

stephentotilo said:
How are you guys who are playing Space making money? Unless I'm missing something, all transactions have to be done manually -- selling ore from planet to planet, finding and selling artifacts, etc. Is there no way to have the income slowly accrue on its own once you have lots of colonies and trade routes? Or am I missing something?
I think extra colonies and trade routes just give you more spice.

bee

McBradders said:
Has anyone picked this up in a store in the UK yet?

I might fish around on my way home tonight.

mines shipped from shopto so i would assume that retail stores also have it

Ok I'm in the creature stage at my second nest. Creature is a herbivore and I'm getting my ass kicked, surrounded by hostiles and some friendly monkies who I can't charm to like me. Playing on hard

I also saw AN amazing creature, its about 50 foot tall and it's legs look like puppets. Saw a giant boney dragon that killed me in one shot as well.

winnarps

Cell and creature phases are extremely repetitive and boring, IMO. I was satisfied with them for about 10 mins, then after I 'leveled up' a few times, I was like 'man, do I *really* have to do this a bunch more times?'

Just started tribe phase, and it seems like it has more depth, but I only got to play around with it 5 mins last night.

I'm really just looking forward to the space phase.

Oh, one thing that I thought was really well done was the history/progress chart of your creature. Awesome thing to look at, shows deaths, kills, changes in body structure, etc.

Sharp

MrPing1000 said:
Ok I'm in the creature stage at my second nest. Creature is a herbivore and I'm getting my ass kicked, surrounded by hostiles and some friendly monkies who I can't charm to like me. Playing on hard

I also saw AN amazing creature, its about 50 foot tall and it's legs look like puppets. Saw a giant boney dragon that killed me in one shot as well.
The enormous creatures are called epics, they play a big part in tribe as well (and you can eventually "epic" a creature in Space).

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Amarox said:
I have had a look at the badges, but I don't know what unlock does what. What's a badge that unlocks effective anti-spaceship weapons?

Earning badges makes shop items related to those badges available. So if you can earn a war-based one, then it will make new guns available. I don't recall if you can actually preview what will be offered. Leveling up overall -- changing ranks -- sometimes adds a slot to your alliances. That was the key thing to me. I never fly anywhere in the game without three other spaceships at my side, and when I go into combat, they do much of the fighting. You have to have alliances to have allies, so work on your diplomacy and you should be good to go.

Won

:lol @ tribe intro.

So far it is a mixed bag. Gameplay itself got boring pretty fast in the first two stages. And while tribal looks a bit more promising, it feels pretty slow. The customization part is also a bit weird in this stage. I chose to go down a more typical "2 arms 2 legs" creature so it was ok, but I already had a hard time to fit the stuff on the body without looking stupid. Doesn't really fit with the game.

Small thing I liked: Saw some stuff you can do in the space stage happening on the creature stage. A meteor shower and a space ship stealing a creature right in front of my eyes....that was neat. :D

Wow impressions are all over the place. Even the people that agree that they like the game can't agree on what parts they like.

Just a couple more days...

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Sharp said:
The enormous creatures are called epics, they play a big part in tribe as well (and you can eventually "epic" a creature in Space).

How do you epic them? And what role did they play for you in Tribe? I just stayed away from them.

I don't get the space stage so far. It is a bit too much imho. You should have all the features from the beginning, so you can use it if you want. I don't want to do those damn missions to unlock some abilities I want to use :( Trading sucks, too. But perhaps it is getting better in time. At the moment my solar system is being attacked by another species and I don't know what to do to beat them. I want to expand first :(

Started a second creature and it sucks, that all the info boxes are popping again. I know it already, damnit.

I don't like it so far, that being a plant eater is more difficult. The binding of features to body parts is also really stupid. I have a snail as my second creature and I cannot dance because it has no legs and never will. How shoud I impress the other creatures then?

Building houses and vehicles is too limited in my opinion. I cannot create something great with the parts given.

Overall it is a neat game and I like it. I like all of the phases. Even the cell phase is a nice little game for itself (I never played flow, so perhaps that is why!)

I just want to have more save slots and a possibility to go back to phase x with my creation to perhaps change something.

I just want to set up some creature civilizations and watch them carry out a galactic battle royale largely without my control. Can I do that? I guess I want this to be a true god-game.

Sharp

Marconelly said:
Does the game still have that nice galactic view? I loved how that looked in that video
Other than the water stage and I suppose the art style the game still has pretty much everything in the video, galactic view included. But I think without much info people may have been reading things into it that weren't there.
stephentotilo said:
How do you epic them? And what role did they play for you in Tribe? I just stayed away from them.
I don't have the game yet, but I watched some streams of other people playing. There is definitely a UFO tool you can use on a creature down on a planet to epic it, it sends down a little dome and they emerge as an epic. Epics can also be hunted and killed for food in tribal stage (I'm pretty sure I saw someone do this).

Top Bottom