• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
arstal said:
Ono admitted to the Vanessa ripoff.

There was a definite SNK direction taken with this game- though I see it as more Fatal Fury then KOF with the invincible backdashes, ultra being gained by getting hit, char designs, focus attack faking, etc...

It feels like a hybrid of Real Bout and Garou with SF chars and 6-button controls at times.

The sad thing: Capcom did a better SNK game then what SNKP could ever pull off now.

Theres a difference between making a conscious decision and a reporter being all like

"HEY THIS VIPER CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE VANESSA AMIRITE?"
"um, I guess now that I look at it"
'RIPOFF CONFIRMED, ON TO THE INTERNETS"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
*SNK Rant snip*.

RG, even Ono admitted C. Viper was SNK influenced. It's all good. It's not a bad thing. SNK's designs in KoF have been pretty darn awesome over the years (I prefer them to Capcom's personally). It's a fun thing with both of them play off each other as they have other the years.

But, see it how you want.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Still having a hard time against higher-ranked Honda players when using Cammy. Advice please; hit and run tactics seem to be the best bet.

arstal said:
The sad thing: Capcom did a better SNK game then what SNKP could ever pull off now.

SNK has been doing some amazing games these past few years, and KOF XII looks to be the game that everyone wanted SF4 to be in the first place.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Zabka said:
And El Blaze is a Rey Mysterio ripoff/tribute. They're all fishing in the same pond.
Wut?
There is a great japanese wrestler who performed under the name of El Blazer... i always tought that it was because him and not Rey Mysterio *mind blown*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_JgmjUbuQ

EDIT: Oh i get it now,you mean the outfit design? Yeah its Rey Mysterio. :lol

Mexican wrestlers establishs career in Japan and the US just as Canadian and American Wrestlers do

Japan is a huge hub of Pro-Wrestling: Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Rey Misterio Jr, Eddie Guerrero all have worked in Japan before

Masked wrestlers, just like their Mexican counter parts, are huge in Japanese pro-wrestling

Zapages

You guys are right about Akuma players, they are so much fun to play against after you figure most of their thinking process during the match...:lol

Also any tips on how beat Trial Normal 11 with Ryu or any other character... I always end having to spam hadokens and shurukens... Which I find tedious and hurts my thumb in end of it all after you defeat Chun Li...

Xater

Ok this is driving me craza. I loos every time against these turtling Guiles with Blanka.

What can I do? They just crouch and wait for me to come.

jonah777

So I've finally started playing ranked matches now that I have my HRAP EX and a little practice under by belt and... yeah... back to practice. It takes getting used to, but I really enjoy playing Bison with the stick. Anyone use him the most here? If anyone is up for some matches, let me know.

edit:
gutter_trash... I just noticed the avatar :D You're in Mtl too, right?

Xater

jonah777 said:
So I've finally started playing ranked matches now that I have my HRAP EX and a little practice under by belt and... yeah... back to practice. It takes getting used to, but I really enjoy playing Bison with the stick. Anyone use him the most here? If anyone is up for some matches, let me know.

I tried out Bison today too and I think I may make him a regular of mine. Never thought I would like charger characters.

Spy

I brought my PS3 and SFIV to work today. Were going to play on the projector in the conference room during lunch. :lol

Spy said:
I brought my PS3 and SFIV to work today. Were going to play on the projector in the conference room during lunch. :lol
that's awesome

I trust the whole process will be easier once the PC version is out

jonah777

Xater said:
I tried out Bison today too and I think I may make him a regular of mine. Never thought I would like charger characters.

Same... I picked him once just to get reacquainted with charge characters and totally fell in lust. He has a deceptive amount of tricks under his hat. I look forward to my first hate mail. :lol

Zabka

Fersis said:
Wut?
There is a great japanese wrestler who performed under the name of El Blazer... i always tought that it was because him and not Rey Mysterio *mind blown*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_JgmjUbuQ

EDIT: Oh i get it now,you mean the outfit design? Yeah its Rey Mysterio. :lol
Looks like the El Blazer gimmick first appeared in 2006, the same year VF5 came out in Japanese arcades. I don't see any dates for his debut, but it's most likely that El Blazer was created after El Blaze was introduced (and maybe took the name from the game too).

I actually stumbled across this guy's blog last year who goes over El Fuerte's design, and then offers his own (more traditional and less interesting) takes on the character.

jonah777 said:

edit:
gutter_trash... I just noticed the avatar :D You're in Mtl too, right?

yup, and Montrealer and Charge Character lover (except for Guile)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
gutter_trash said:
Mexican wrestlers establishs career in Japan and the US just as Canadian and American Wrestlers do

Japan is a huge hub of Pro-Wrestling: Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Rey Misterio Jr, Eddie Guerrero all have worked in Japan before

Masked wrestlers, just like their Mexican counter parts, are huge in Japanese pro-wrestling

Well...this was true in the past. The Japanese pro-wrestling market has really taken a big tumble in the past...well, since 2000. =(

Dizzy-4U said:
Sorry, SNK still has the worst boss ever:
k4wbp2.png
oi7x4p.jpg

No one here can tell me there is something better than a well time Ultra that just f*cks people's shit up :D You can almost hear the yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOO" coming from the other side

I remember someone in this thread said, it must piss people off because it takes control away from them and they just have to watch themselves get owned :lol.

Stantron

Playing flowchart Kens with shitty connections is really annoying because if you go for a throw to punish them landing from a SRK, they catch you with another, or worse an ultra. :/ In this case, it's better to punish with a sweep well before they land to be safe.

TheFallen

I think I'm about to give up on SF4. Been playing for weeks, unfortunately regardless of what I use (360 controller ******* or d-pad, even a madcatz arcade stick - also rented the PS3 version to try that out) I am having problems with the responsiveness of my attacks. Sometimes the supers/ultras work, and other times they just waste my EXs. :(

I'm not new to the franchise, I find it much easier to execute attacks in the 2D games just a fyi.

TheFallen said:
I think I'm about to give up on SF4. Been playing for weeks, unfortunately regardless of what I use (360 controller ******* or d-pad, even a madcatz arcade stick - also rented the PS3 version to try that out) I am having problems with the responsiveness of my attacks. Sometimes the supers/ultras work, and other times they just waste my EXs. :(

I'm not new to the franchise, I find it much easier to execute attacks in the 2D games just a fyi.
Do you play online or with friends in real life? It can be frustrating getting beaten online when you can't pull off the right moves and whiff your ultras, but I do enjoy playing 2P versus with a buddy next to me on the couch.

I say stick with and just have fun! I need to work really hard on my timing too just so I can beat my friends next time I see them.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Do a Balrog vid pls. I need some more advanced combos to complement my simple 3, 4 hit ones. And I can't get the timing down on some of them without visual reference.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
UC1 said:
Nice video! I'm getting the hang of EX legs into ultra now, yeah it definitely is her most useful ultra combo, the others are too unreliable.

Hmm yeah the EX SBK works too but they will fly out of the corner a lot.. :\

and off of a FA sometimes its hard to react in time if you get the crumple.

CPS2

Off a crumple I do upkicks > ultra, this is her easiest ultra combo imo, but crumple is still riskier than EX legs.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kaijima said:
I know some of the 'pros' dismiss El Fuerte because he is a: weak in health and b: "takes more work for the same win" but personally I don't get that attitude. Why should all characters be equal in complexity? Hard won wins can be rewarding. When you win against a strong opponent with El Fuerte (or Guile or Claw... lol?) you know that you have accomplished something and so does everyone else.

Plus I have a hard time seeing Fuerte as weak; the spaz does have some basic combos that hurt.

Yes - and I was honestly surprised at how much damage a standing HK into his leg grab does - comboing into it off of a Focus Attack crumble is such a satisfying feeling...

Speaking of FA, he also has the longest distance out of all the characters with his as well...

And nothing is as good as getting an unsuspecting person locked down with a Run Stop Overhead splash over and over... :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Gutter Trash WILL KICK YOUR ASS. HARD.

Just a warning! :lol

gutter_trash said:
I refuse to play C.Viper because of her SNKness
Bison headstomp her to hell

I've been thinking of taking her up because of the SNK connection!

Hauntsy...

Gutter plays on PSN. I want to say his PSN is Jerky...

And has anyone fully, 100 percent completed the challenges? Jeez...they sure put a lot of replayability and unlockables in this game (too bad you couldn't unlock the alternate costumes).

And I like Capcom...Nightwarriors, Vampire Savior, Project Justice, SF2 Hyper, ST, TS, 2I, IV...

But they're designers are not as good as SNK's (or to a lesser extent Namco's in Tekken). Not a flame. If you don't agree, it's fine...just an opinion. I think Capcom's problem is they do generalizations...where as SNK is more stylistic (Lori, 1999 Kyo, K', MOTW Terry, etc). The new characters in SFIV don't really "gel" with the old cast. Whereas with III, it was a whole new gaggle of "freaks" (which were still oddly designed).

Won

Man I try to start learning a shoto now that the shoryuken pack is out in the EU and I just can't do it after playing Fuerte for so long. No Air grab, no wall jumps, no easy running around on the screen. I feel so immobile. :(

MoxManiac

Lyte Edge said:

I couldn't beat his Honda. Believe me, I tried!

EDIT: Spidey, I noticed you pulled the SF3 = freaks card. But is there really that many? In 3s, I count what, five freaks out of 18 or something at most? (oro, necro, q, twelve, gill) That's not bad at all.

Lyte Edge said:

oooohhh them fightin' words!

Bring It!!!

-

@Haunts, I am tempted in getting the 360 version but I only have a MadCatz Pad for 360 (I got USB Saturns on PS3 and a PS2 Custom Sanwa)

If budget permits during tax returns, I may get the 360 version as well and renew gold..
but for now I am on PS3

:p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Spiderjericho said:
But they're designers are not as good as SNK's (or to a lesser extent Namco's in Tekken). Not a flame. If you don't agree, it's fine...just an opinion. I think Capcom's problem is they do generalizations...where as SNK is more stylistic (Lori, 1999 Kyo, K', MOTW Terry, etc). The new characters in SFIV don't really "gel" with the old cast. Whereas with III, it was a whole new gaggle of "freaks" (which were still oddly designed).

Personally, I find that the new foursome in SFIV do feel at home after a while. You're right that Capcom tends to generalize on character designs, but that can be a feature, not a bug.

The Street Fighter cast traditionally has a more universal appeal to them; I recall when Abel was first shown, people said "what? he's so generic looking!" But some said just wait, after a short while he'll fit like he's always been there. To me, that happened. El Fuerte is also universal enough of an archetype that he fits into that Street Fighter vibe.

C.Viper and Rufus are much more experimental but they do still have enough of Capcom style charm that they work, for me.

The thing about Street Fighter III's cast that split the community was that the "freaks" were a conscious attempt by Capcom's designers to invent a whole new fighting game character aesthetic in one swoop. Where SF2 had "the SF2 look", III was supposed to have "the III look". I have to agree with people about Twelve though; no idea why they included him, since his general style of freakish character was already handled far better by Necro.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Oldschoolgamer said:
<3 Dictator.

That is all.
I'm thinking about making him my new main. I just feel guilty to high heavens for some reason, every time I try to start a new main.

Not to mention Vega is just plain cooler than the rest of the cast : (
Would be nice to be good with a character who isn't at such a disadvantage though.

FootNinja said:
Not to mention Vega is just plain cooler than the rest of the cast : (
Would be nice to be good with a character who isn't at such a disadvantage though.
Do you win a lot with him? Tiers shouldn't start dictating matches until high lever play.

I actually had a better record with Remy in 3S online over any other character, but that's probably just because he's so rare no one knows the matchup.

I like Vega a bunch, he's fun to play.

Top Bottom