• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TheFallen

omgimaninja said:
Do you play online or with friends in real life? It can be frustrating getting beaten online when you can't pull off the right moves and whiff your ultras, but I do enjoy playing 2P versus with a buddy next to me on the couch.

I say stick with and just have fun! I need to work really hard on my timing too just so I can beat my friends next time I see them.

Both. I've got a 10% win percentage of 100+ matches. It's pretty bad. I swear I can pull off the ultras offline much easier, not sure what the issue is.

Blueblur1

I haven't played in a while. I'm ready to play tons of SFIV next week as I'll finally be receiving my FightSticks. Are there still tons of Kens when playing online (XBL)?

TheFallen said:
Both. I've got a 10% win percentage of 100+ matches. It's pretty bad. I swear I can pull off the ultras offline much easier, not sure what the issue is.
I feel more pressure when playing online and this likely leads me to messing up the command inputs.

I like to play more charge characters with the square gate MadCatz pad simply because their moves are easier for me to input than the fireballers. It will take time for me before I can execute the QCFx2 + PPP move 100% of the time.

Add me on XBL "puyo puyo puyo" and we can see who whiffs more Ultras :lol If you see my Dhalsim teleport around the screen instead of attacking you, you'll know the reason why.

I don't understand the "Dictator", "Boxer" and "Claw" thing.

My game always says "Bison", "Balrog" and "Vega".

Also my gamertag is Dark Octave if anyone is interested in losing.

Caj814

I could barely get any consecutive games when playing as Claw(Vega) today since every single time I won I would get disconnected before the You Win screen transitioned or kicked out of the room after 1 win.

I think my blocked player list is close to the 1000s now from early quitters in general.:lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
_dementia said:
Do you win a lot with him? Tiers shouldn't start dictating matches until high lever play.

I actually had a better record with Remy in 3S online over any other character, but that's probably just because he's so rare no one knows the matchup.

I like Vega a bunch, he's fun to play.
I do win with him a lot, until I face a decent Sagat, or Blanka, or dictator.

I know everyone has their counter pick's, but I want to play as someone who doesn't have to worry about losing a mask and claw/dealing minimal damage/being at risk 80% of the time.

I think I just have built up frustration against Blanka's, and want to head stomp someones face off.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Blanka and Dictator are frustrating fights for sure..

I can never tell when I'm playing a Blanka if they are an expert or just totally new to SFIV.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
haunts said:

I can never tell when I'm playing a Blanka if they are an expert or just totally new to SFIV.

As a Dictator player, I hate playing Blanka...even if the match-up is easy for him. The fight is annoying.

Won

Oldschoolgamer said:
That Won is a spy! Don't listen to him!

Mind if I add you to the friends list?

Sure, but don't expect me to put a fight up against your Dictator. What a horrible horrible guy. Should be dead anyway!

haunts said:

:lol I think when I use him I play like a little bit of both.

Totally flailing around but with a few combos thrown in for the intimidation and confusion factor that I just might know what I'm doing a little bit.

Xevren

haunts said:

A decent Blanka player absolutely terrifies me. :mad:

Vdragoon

Blueblur1 said:
I haven't played in a while. I'm ready to play tons of SFIV next week as I'll finally be receiving my FightSticks. Are there still tons of Kens when playing online (XBL)?

I kept getting cammy and honda. there's still shoto every once in awhile.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dark Octave said:
:lol I think when I use him I play like a little bit of both.

Totally flailing around but with a few combos thrown in for the intimidation and confusion factor that I just might know what I'm doing a little bit.

dude thats exactly it.. :lol

he doesnt have many combos in the first place, and experienced players play almost more random than new comers so i just never know what the hell is going on.

I dont like playing against blankas or giefs... dictator, i like playing against its just frustrating sometimes.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Spiderjericho said:
Hauntsy...

Gutter plays on PSN. I want to say his PSN is Jerky...

And has anyone fully, 100 percent completed the challenges? Jeez...they sure put a lot of replayability and unlockables in this game (too bad you couldn't unlock the alternate costumes).

And I like Capcom...Nightwarriors, Vampire Savior, Project Justice, SF2 Hyper, ST, TS, 2I, IV...

But they're designers are not as good as SNK's (or to a lesser extent Namco's in Tekken). Not a flame. If you don't agree, it's fine...just an opinion. I think Capcom's problem is they do generalizations...where as SNK is more stylistic (Lori, 1999 Kyo, K', MOTW Terry, etc). The new characters in SFIV don't really "gel" with the old cast. Whereas with III, it was a whole new gaggle of "freaks" (which were still oddly designed).

Only thing I'm missing is roughly half or so of the Trials on Hard - the annoying thing is even some of the simple combos are a pain due to the new timing of the combo system, and on my end, I'm so used to double-tapping buttons that it's become a bad habit, and it screws up the combo...

Luckily when I'm on the stick I can break the habit of double-tapping, but then the timing doesn't come out right, and I think it's the stick's fault Hori EX3, since I know the timing like the back of my hand after all this time now...

Nose Master

Dark Octave said:
I don't understand the "Dictator", "Boxer" and "Claw" thing.

My game always says "Bison", "Balrog" and "Vega".

Also my gamertag is Dark Octave if anyone is interested in losing.

It's pretty much just elitist wanking. Publically it's to "avoid confusion", but I can't imagine too many people actually confusing the names.

ShinAmano

bdizzle said:
any gaffers wanna play on xbl. need practice using my te stick. free wins!!!
gt sir long meat
I think I tried to join a game of yours the other night, but could not (quick match) seem to remember the name...

I am always up for games if I am on 'ShinAmano' I use random and I switch between stick and pad (better with pad).

its only inside Japan that their names are in JPN form,
outside of there, even in the rest of Asia, they use the Western names

the shock hit me in 1992 when my friend had an import Super Famicom and import SF2

i played in arcades during the summer of 1991 with normal Western names, then shocker on my friends SNES. . WTF?? the names are all screwed up

lol

ShinAmano said:
I think I tried to join a game of yours the other night, but could not (quick match) seem to remember the name...

I am always up for games if I am on 'ShinAmano' I use random and I switch between stick and pad (better with pad).

doubt it was me. this my first time touching the 360 version in weeks. couldnt play using the 360 pad. ill send u a friend req

EDIT to anyone with the te stick how do u get the 360 headset to fit in the hole?

Ronabo

I'm stuck on Zangief's Hard Trial 4. I can't get the standing light kick to EX Fist to come out fast enough. I tried for an hour last night on my TE stick. I thought I was gonna break the buttons from jamming on them so much. :D

Amazingly my Best Buy TE shipped. So I'm thinking about doing a Bat Top mod with an octagon gate once the orders die down on Lizard Lick. Man the 360nhas some nice games out for it and coming out that really benefit with the use of a Arcade Stick.

ShinAmano

bdizzle said:
doubt it was me. this my first time touching the 360 version in weeks. couldnt play using the 360 pad. ill send u a friend req

EDIT to anyone with the te stick how do u get the 360 headset to fit in the hole?
There is an adapter for the old style in the box.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kaijima said:
I know some of the 'pros' dismiss El Fuerte because he is a: weak in health and b: "takes more work for the same win" but personally I don't get that attitude. Why should all characters be equal in complexity? Hard won wins can be rewarding. When you win against a strong opponent with El Fuerte (or Guile or Claw... lol?) you know that you have accomplished something and so does everyone else.

Plus I have a hard time seeing Fuerte as weak; the spaz does have some basic combos that hurt.

Of course hard wins should be rewarding, but it's not hard to see why he has it hard to compete. Should all characters be equal in complexity? no. However, you should be rewarded for mastering it, which you're not with Fuerte (exception being RSF). His moves are very punishable when he's caught and unlike Akuma, he has to get your face to fight with such cruddy health. The risk/reward is out of balance with Fuerte. It's just that simple. If Fuerte doesn't have meter, you can crush him on wake up alone (EX Leg Whip escape is sweepable bringing him right back down and EX Run can be armor broken by just about everyone).

He's quite fun, but the risk/reward ratio for him is seriously out of whack. This is kind of how I see Sagat being so beastly. He's very low risk and extremely high reward.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kintaro said:
Of course hard wins should be rewarding, but it's not hard to see why he has it hard to compete. Should all characters be equal in complexity? no. However, you should be rewarded for mastering it, which you're not with Fuerte (exception being RSF). His moves are very punishable when he's caught and unlike Akuma, he has to get your face to fight with such cruddy health. The risk/reward is out of balance with Fuerte. It's just that simple. If Fuerte doesn't have meter, you can crush him on wake up alone (EX Leg Whip escape is sweepable bringing him right back down and EX Run can be armor broken by just about everyone).

He's quite fun, but the risk/reward ratio for him is seriously out of whack. This is kind of how I see Sagat being so beastly. He's very low risk and extremely high reward.

Oh, I'm not saying that there are not absolute balance issues. Yes, Sagat needs to have at least a few attributes toned down. Yes, Fuerte is objectively weaker than other complex characters (like Viper).

In point of fact, I'm hoping for at least one major character balance patch within the first year of SFIV's console life cycle after Capcom listens to the feedback of the high level players who are the best at breaking the game.

My feelings inspired by El Fuerte upthread were more related to the way that some people use tier mentality to be overly dismissive. I myself don't really believe in tiers as they are commonly used. I believe in characters that are unbalanced, but "tiers" should be created by player skill in the end. In SFIV, Sagat is "top tier" only because he is unbalanced compared to the median character in the cast. This is something that troubles me about fighting game design, in point of fact; that even more effort than already is spent by the developers does not go into erradicating automatic character tiers.

In the age of patchable console games, I feel that this should stop entirely, and that we should see constant balance revisions ala RTS games on the PC to keep fighting games fairly balanced.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kaijima said:
In point of fact, I'm hoping for at least one major character balance patch within the first year of SFIV's console life cycle after Capcom listens to the feedback of the high level players who are the best at breaking the game.

On this...at any point at any time has Capcom said they will do this? I don't recall anything like this being said.

In other news, my 360 TE stick came in. Will pick up after work.

I believe they will only re-balance the game with a new full fledged game a la Champion Edition or 2nd Impact.

speculation to who gets buffed or nurfed is blatantly obvious, especially concerning the Arcade first characters

and we always know they get it right in the last installment of a series (mostly) as it was with Super Turbo (not HDR) and 3rd Strike

Won

Oldschoolgamer said:
GGs Won. I lost track of time. I have a bunch of cleaning to do, before nightfall. :/

Bah, that was horrible by me. Was practicing to get off the Quesidilia Bomb against the charge characters, but 8/10 I didn't get it off and the other 2 times it just missed. :(

Just saying if you were wondering why I wasn't fighting back most of the time. :p

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
does sakura count as a shoto? i sure as hell want to say 'no', considering she has none of the shotos strengths. Her moves kind of go in the same general direction as the shotos and she was raped by ryu. Is that enough to make her one of them?

dankir

Any of you guys xMastafax ?

Holy shit this guy is a monster?!@?! I played 30 matches str8 against him, beat me 23 times. He's fucking crazy.

Top Bottom