• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MoxManiac

So I got my USB saturn pad in the mail, finally. I originally ordered it because i figured I wouldn't get my TE stick until march, and was suprised to have the stick come in on 2/18.

Anyways, I was playing around with it in SF4, and found the fact that i was hitting FADC > Ultra combos much more consistently on the pad then on my stick a little unsettling to me. Do I just need more practice on the stick?

Hey Chorazin, check the tourney thread!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I think I played against Dave Sirlin last night (Sirlin Prime)! I barely scraped by with my blanka over his Zangeif. Awesome match. Had about 2,000 BP so I'm betting he mostly plays Player Match.

And I love Rufus' win quotes!:lol

You've done the world a great favor and we thank you.

Not sarcasm, I personally feel like he's just really pompous

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Oh my gawd, played my first match on 360, with the 360 controller.

Oh my gawd

ONE thing is better, FADCing is cake with a controller, CAKE

The rest? The goddamn thing doesnt even register diagonal jumps half the time, oh boy.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Kal said:
Question about arcade sticks? I've never used one before, it is worth buying? I'm trying to do Chun Li's HK into EX Lightning Kick in her challenge mode but it's so hard - the EX Lightning Kick always comes late; I really can't tap the PS3 pad any faster :lol will it be easier on an arcade stick?
Jump in with a deep HK first.

jaypah

Raging Spaniard said:
Oh my gawd, played my first match on 360, with the 360 controller.

Oh my gawd

ONE thing is better, FADCing is cake with a controller, CAKE

The rest? The goddamn thing doesnt even register diagonal jumps half the time, oh boy.

that's weird. i'm playing 360 on a standard pad and have no problems at all. this is the same controller that i couldn't do consistent DPs with in SFHDR. if i fuck up or go spazzy on a move it's entirely my fault and not the controller. but i have had different experiences with different d-pads on different 360 controllers so you might have gotten one of the shittier ones.

harSon said:
Just got the game for Playstation 3 :)

I'm going to be using Balrog as my main, I'm pretty decent for a days worth of practice. Can anyone give me any pointers or point me to a source that's helpful? Also, how do you do a headbutt into his ultra? I'm guessing it involves canceling but I don't know how to do that either :lol

Boxer for the win! I haven't seen a single other boxer online... =(

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
GuessWho said:
wtf is FADCing anyways?
Focus Attack Dash Cancel. do a focus attack(mp+mk) then dash out of it(double tap forward/back).

harSon said:
Just got the game for Playstation 3 :)

I'm going to be using Balrog as my main, I'm pretty decent for a days worth of practice. Can anyone give me any pointers or point me to a source that's helpful? Also, how do you do a headbutt into his ultra? I'm guessing it involves canceling but I don't know how to do that either :lol
Balrog forum at Shoruyken.com

kurahadol

Ok, Akuma's Normal Trial 4-5 is driving me insane. It seems I'm a millisecond off every time. The challenge is Focus Attack into Raging Demon. If I dash into it, the initial jab when inputting the move hits Dan and stops the combo, nulling it. And if I don't dash, the raging demon just barely misses. Any tips on this?

Brobzoid

kurahadol said:
Ok, Akuma's Normal Trial 4-5 is driving me insane. It seems I'm a millisecond off every time. The challenge is Focus Attack into Raging Demon. If I dash into it, the initial jab when inputting the move hits Dan and stops the combo, nulling it. And if I don't dash, the raging demon just barely misses. Any tips on this?
dash back?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Just wanted to throw this out there that Grifter is doing quite well so far in the tournament I am holding. I believe there are over 55 people in the tournament, and he Grifter is trying to represent M. Bison in the tournament (the tournament is unique with having each character represented to try and 'simulate' the SFIV tournament).

I believe Yeb and maybe another from GAF have joined the tournament, Yeb's matches haven't begun yet since Gen doesn't have enough players vying to use him lol.

There are a few more spots left if you are interested. PM me and I'll give you a link and details (prizes are worth over $80 as of right now, I'm in the process of adding in more). I won't promote the link again in this thread as I have already done so once on like page 405 or something.

Chorazin

MoxManiac said:
So I got my USB saturn pad in the mail, finally. I originally ordered it because i figured I wouldn't get my TE stick until march, and was suprised to have the stick come in on 2/18.

Anyways, I was playing around with it in SF4, and found the fact that i was hitting FADC > Ultra combos much more consistently on the pad then on my stick a little unsettling to me. Do I just need more practice on the stick?

Hey Chorazin, check the tourney thread!

Replied in the Tourney thead!

Keep practicing with the stick, especially if you are worse with it than the pad so I have a chance Mr. 3k BP. :p Seriously though, keep working with the stick, eventually it'll all click and it'll be second nature. Right now you're learning new muscle memories and that'll take a while.

Dartastic

The last three people who I've beaten in ranked mode have rage quit on me. I'm getting tired of this crap. All I'm doing is losing BP now, because nobody who I beat will stay online. =(

harSon

Banned
Chorazin said:
Nothing fancy like that. Instead of headbutting with DB >UF like the move list says, do DB > UB and then go back to down, it keeps the charge. When the falling character's crotch is about to Balrog's head level, unleash the Ultra and it should connect!

Brobzoid said:
Focus Attack Dash Cancel. do a focus attack(mp+mk) then dash out of it(double tap forward/back).

Balrog forum at Shoruyken.com

DiddyBop

honestly,if you guys are frustrated by players in ranked matches,start playing player matches. you'll see a lot more diff characters and these guys actually play smart instead of doing the same thing over and over. i faced a really good Gen last nigh and even though i lose i had a lot of fun and have learned somewhat how to play against a high quality gen.

Brobzoid

xerxesiani said:
Is anyone up for some friendly matches? Im not the best player out there but I try ;), PSN : MiniBloembak

europe btw
sent you an invite. Brobsaurus. I play Balrog.

Rektash

I started practicing with Guile and what can I say? I am like 10x better with him than with Sakura, even on the crappy 360 pad (stick needs repair switches).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
jaypah said:
that's weird. i'm playing 360 on a standard pad and have no problems at all. this is the same controller that i couldn't do consistent DPs with in SFHDR. if i fuck up or go spazzy on a move it's entirely my fault and not the controller. but i have had different experiences with different d-pads on different 360 controllers so you might have gotten one of the shittier ones.

I can do most attacks on command, mostly its jumping diagonally thats being super erratic. The buttons also work fine :lol

Phthisis

yeb said:
I've got to admit that BP is fairly effective at matching people of similar skill.

I strongly, strongly disagree. I have my search parameters set for more skilled in ranked, and in my 200+ ranked matches, it has never once matched me with anyone who has more BP than me. 90% of the time, they're always 300-900 lower than me (and I only have like 2000 BP).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Phthisis said:
I strongly, strongly disagree. I have my search parameters set for more skilled in ranked, and in my 200+ ranked matches, it has never once matched me with anyone who has more BP than me. 90% of the time, they're always 300-900 lower than me (and I only have like 2000 BP).

Funny, I was just about to make a post asking if this happened to anyone else.

Brobzoid

Kal said:
I'll send both of you invites. I play Chun Li. PSN slykal
I can't play right now, my internet is messy. :( But if you add me we can throw down some other time.

Phthisis said:

This might just be me, but I've started using the "Same skill" search and it actually works. Whenever I used "More Skilled" it NEVER matched me up with more skilled people. Using same skill though, I tend to get people within 500 BP of my own, be it more or less skilled.

DogWelder

Hehehhehehe, some dude perfected me in the first round, so the first thing he does at the start of the second is taunt me. I ended up winning in the third round with the least amount of life possible. Sooo satisfying.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
1cesc said:
Hehehhehehe, some dude perfected me in the first round, so the first thing he does at the start of the second is taunt me. I ended up winning in the third round with the least amount of life possible. Sooo satisfying.

Nice work. Though I have to admit, taunting is strangely satisfying. Yesterday I fought a Guile who would throw Sonic Booms then immediately do the "Come on" taunt after every one. Very smooth.

The most satisfying taunt I ever did though was countering Fei Long's Ultra with Gouken, which sent him flying across the screen. Followed it with his Akuma stomp taunt. The guy literally stood there for 5 seconds, I think his jaw was on the floor, lol.

edit: found a youtube vide. (not mine, but you get the idea.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbxSSPCT7Bg&feature=related

Mileena

Banned
Ermac said:
Nice work. Though I have to admit, taunting is strangely satisfying. Yesterday I fought a Guile who would throw Sonic Booms then immediately do the "Come on" taunt after every one. Very smooth.

The most satisfying taunt I ever did though was countering Fei Long's Ultra with Gouken, which sent him flying across the screen. Followed it with his Akuma stomp taunt. The guy literally stood there for 5 seconds, I think his jaw was on the floor, lol.

edit: found a youtube vide. (not mine, but you get the idea.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbxSSPCT7Bg&feature=related
Especially when you're playing as Dudley or Necro. The flower is easily the best taunt in SF history but I love killing people with Necro's tongue. Taunts in SF4 are not half as cool as in they were in 3s :/

Brobzoid

I usually taunt when I get a stun in. I can dominate someone to the point of a stun, I probably don't need the advantage of a free shot. IN-DE-STRUCTABLE

Kal said:
Question about arcade sticks? I've never used one before, it is worth buying? I'm trying to do Chun Li's HK into EX Lightning Kick in her challenge mode but it's so hard - the EX Lightning Kick always comes late; I really can't tap the PS3 pad any faster :lol will it be easier on an arcade stick?

It's definately worth buying. I've only had my TE stick for 3 days and it's already hard going back. Most people say the problem is muscle memory (using a pad for x years makes your fingers react a certain way) but my problem is the sensitivity of the buttons and how close together they are. either way sticks is the way to go 100%

Barrett2

I cannot believe what little bitches people are online. Just played an Akuma, he beat me the first round by running to his corner and spamming fireballs. I beat him the second round, and he immediately drops the game. How is that even fun?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
1cesc said:

:) I've been there too. Great feeling.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
I cannot believe what little bitches people are online. Just played an Akuma, he beat me the first round by running to his corner and spamming fireballs. I beat him the second round, and he immediately drops the game. How is that even fun?

Was that ranked or player?

I've found people, naturally, are considerably more fun to play against in player matches. There's much more a variety of characters, generally-speaking, and I've never seen anyone drop from a player match while losing.

In ranked, due to the battle points system (that even Seth Killian said is basically irrelevant), people take shit far too seriously and it leads to a considerable amount of unsportsmanlike conduct and just general douchebaggery.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I guess I'm lucky, I have not a had a rage quitter yet.
I faced a great Chun Li player from Singapore last night. Even though I barely won the match I've learned quite a few new techniques thanks to that fight. :D
Gizmosquare was his GT, his Chun Li is very strong and his execution of her ultra is flawless.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
How the hell do I do this? Here is the video. I'm stuck at 2:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeDM-...e=channel_page

Focus Attack

[crouch] m.k

EX Shunpukyaku

Haru Ranman

What am I not doing correctly? I do the focus attack. Wait till she crouches then do medium kick but I can't connect the ex shunpukyaku. Am I supposed to hit ex shunpukyaku really fast or am I supposed to time it to something? I've done it sometimes but then the ultra doesn't connect. Should the ultra connect 100% or maybe I've been accidentally doing the super.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, I had to return the game yesterday (rented it for 5 days). I think I'm going to trade in Fable II and buy it. I could see myself enjoying this game for a looooong time. The ONLY thing that bugs me is that Ultras online are hit and miss with the 360 pad. I only pull them off 50% of the time. Other than that the game is pretty flawless. After you get over a brief period of frustration, the odd Ken flowcharter or Akuma fireballer brings about a certain charm and innocence.

TurtleSnatcher said:
gg's sonicspear64..

Today has been a bad day for me.. Feels like I just started playing.. My El Fuerte is suckage today.
I sucked a lot today too! Using random characters half the time didn't help much! :lol

Top Bottom