• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

dave_d

Did our unbiased Leo make an "AMD, New King in Gaming" thread then? No? But why?

I'd wait for potential price cuts to match any coming from Intel though, they have room as Linus explains they actually set their models a bit higher than intel's equivalent offerings this time and I'm sure Intel will try to appear more attractive by lowering them further.

I said this before but I'm really not expecting any price cuts until January. I'm figuring a new product and the holidays would tend to keep prices up. Plus we've seen a lot of demand on new tech like the 3080 and 3090 so I figure any price cuts won't be for a while and that's not even considering now AMD is positioning themselves as a premium product.

supernova8

Banned
If Intel skips its 10nm and goes straight to Intel 7nm, I wouldn't be so sure about AMD being the king anymore.

(Sorry for snipping the rest of your comment, it was a great comment I had nothing to add :D )

I doubt they would go straight to 7nm but I don't know the technicalities. Doesn't make sense since whatever they couldn't get working on 10nm surely they won't get working on 7nm unless it's TSMC or Samsung or something like that. Interesting to find out what will happen in the server market going forward.

Intel still has much higher capacity to deliver volume but surely customers will start to laugh at them. "What you want me to buy THOSE chips again?!"

I bought AMD stock about 6 months ago and I have absooooooooooolutely no intention of selling for at least the next 18 months.

supernova8

Banned
Wait for the 5700X. It'll be $379 probably.

Do you reckon they skipped 5700X because they have a GPU called "5700 XT"? The naming scheme for their CPUs and GPUs is just all over the place. Kinda annoying right.

I would've liked them to just reset it to some extent like...

Radeon GX 600 series
Radeon GX 700 series
Radeon GX 800 series

Just something to separate it from the CPU naming scheme.

dave_d

Do you reckon they skipped 5700X because they have a GPU called "5700 XT"? The naming scheme for their CPUs and GPUs is just all over the place. Kinda annoying right.

I don't know. They do have a video card RX 5600 and a 5600x processor so maybe not.

FireFly

Intel's 7nm likely won't be shipping in volume until 2023, so skipping 10 nm would only hurt them further. Especially since they can already beat Skylake in single threaded performance with Tiger Lake.

dave_d

I'd rather get a 3700x honestly for 300 bucks, especially if we talk 1440p.
I'll second that. When I saw $450 for the 5800x it made me think it's better to go B550 and 3700x since that's about how much that pair would cost anyway. Hell, at this point I'm just so tempted to say F it and pick up that 10700k deal on newegg. (Gee, I can get a 10700k with a motherboard for $500 now or wait a month a maybe get a 5800x for $50 less?)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Will 3700x be a good pairing with 3080? Or should I wait for 5700x (any idea when it will release?).
Not interested in 5800x. Too expensive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Big Navi teaser also makes me wonder about what AMD was trying to signal to Nvidia. Whether or not what Lisa held up was the best they have or not. I'd like to know how the Nvidia execs interpreted that and how it lines up with their intel on AMD.

PhoenixTank

The Big Navi teaser also makes me wonder about what AMD was trying to signal to Nvidia. Whether or not what Lisa held up was the best they have or not. I'd like to know how the Nvidia execs interpreted that and how it lines up with their intel on AMD.
I got the impression that it was more of a tease towards potential Ampere buyers, if I'm honest. Yes, the teasing is annoying to some and we want deets now but it might mean some look towards the RDNA2 news/presentation between their browser refreshes.

Will 3700x be a good pairing with 3080? Or should I wait for 5700x (any idea when it will release?).
Not interested in 5800x. Too expensive.
What resolution & framerate are you aiming for?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I got the impression that it was more of a tease towards potential Ampere buyers, if I'm honest. Yes, the teasing is annoying to some and we want deets now but it might get mean some look towards the RDNA2 news/presentation between their browser refreshes.
Oh of course, it was that definitely.

I'm just thinking out loud in terms of game theory. As in, what selective information is in AMD's best interest to divulge right now, at that event. What are the pros and cons of sneaking a peak at the best card vs the second best or even third best. For example, if the numbers on the screen were representative of the top of the line, then that's the most we can expect. However, if those numbers were from a weaker card, then they still have surprises up their sleeves.

AMD already did a similar thing with their CPU presentation by showcasing the 5900X first, followed by the "one more thing" with the 5950X. Same with Nvidia's presentation and how they revealed the 3090 as their "one more thing".

I just think it's fun to consider that those numbers we saw wasn't from their top tier cards. I'm not going to expect it, however. AMD's GPU division needs to prove themselves before I give them more benefit of the doubt. Much like the CPU division already has done.

PhoenixTank

Oh of course, it was that definitely.

I'm just thinking out loud in terms of game theory. As in, what selective information is in AMD's best interest to divulge right now, at that event. What are the pros and cons of sneaking a peak at the best card vs the second best or even third best. For example, if the numbers on the screen were representative of the top of the line, then that's the most we can expect. However, if those numbers were from a weaker card, then they still have surprises up their sleeves.

AMD already did a similar thing with their CPU presentation by showcasing the 5900X first, followed by the "one more thing" with the 5950X. Same with Nvidia's presentation and how they revealed the 3090 as their "one more thing".

I just think it's fun to consider that those numbers we saw wasn't from their top tier cards. I'm not going to expect it, however. AMD's GPU division needs to prove themselves before I give them more benefit of the doubt. Much like the CPU division already has done.
I'm not big on the "jebaited 4D chess" side of things from RTG but by now they should know damn well that Nvidia are ready to throw a Ti or Super SKU to cut their legs out from under them. It could get more complicated and be less effective for Nvidia than last time, though.
Overlapping launch windows unlike Turing. Constrained supply with a bit of a question mark over yields & production quantity at Samsung. Nvidia moving the max power goalposts beyond 300W and, as you mention, the potential that we're not seeing AMD's top tier silicon teased either.

Could go well for AMD... and RTG have had nearly two years since the division shake up. History would say that pulling this off would be very wishful thinking.
Might see the perf per watt leader change hands after many years, though.

Also Coulomb_Barrier Coulomb_Barrier
You owe me 100Mhz. Pay up buddy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PhoenixTank

4K. Framerates ideally 60, but I am ok with anything above 40.
You should be fine. 3080's strongest at 4K & the 3700X is more than fine for the framerates you can expect at that res. If you really didn't want the extra cores you could drop down to a 3600 (or a 3300X if you can find one at a sane price) and save some money. Prevailing logic seems to be: get 8 cores to match next-gen consoles, though.

Mhmmm 2077

So, like I said, I wanted a 3700X successor, which wasn't announced... together with the price hike and lack of stock fans for 5800X/5900X models, I decided that I'm buying a 3700X after all, I found a deal online for $315 (including 23% VAT) - the cheapest I ever seen it here.

edit: I'm having serious problems with taking decisions... I will wait for benchmarks, still a bit of time left before CP77 releases...

Last edited:

CuNi

(Sorry for snipping the rest of your comment, it was a great comment I had nothing to add :D )

All good. =)
Glad you liked the rest of it!

I doubt they would go straight to 7nm but I don't know the technicalities. Doesn't make sense since whatever they couldn't get working on 10nm surely they won't get working on 7nm unless it's TSMC or Samsung or something like that. Interesting to find out what will happen in the server market going forward.

Intel still has much higher capacity to deliver volume but surely customers will start to laugh at them. "What you want me to buy THOSE chips again?!"

I bought AMD stock about 6 months ago and I have absooooooooooolutely no intention of selling for at least the next 18 months.

AFAIK technically Intel is already producing and selling 10nm chips, they are sadly mobile only as, that's how I understood it at least, they have issues with scaling it up to high performance computing and only manage to keep the CPUs stable and yields affordable in mobile laptop versions. Ice Lake was released in 2019 I think and was already Intels 2nd gen 10nm and somewhen this month of october 2020 Tiger Lake is supposed to launch which will be Intels 3rd gen 10nm microarchitecture.

I think from what I've heard is that Intel will skip 10nm for Desktop and move to 7nm end of 2021/early 2022. But that still leaves AMD to be the leader for at least 2 years from now on, possibly more!
If I were you, I'd stick to that AMD stock as well! Good job scooping that up! I've always been kinda too lazy to even try buying/selling stocks.. hell I'm even too lazy to scalp PS5s xD

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
You should be fine. 3080's strongest at 4K & the 3700X is more than fine for the framerates you can expect at that res. If you really didn't want the extra cores you could drop down to a 3600 (or a 3300X if you can find one at a sane price) and save some money. Prevailing logic seems to be: get 8 cores to match next-gen consoles, though.

3080 is pretty much a 4k gpu, so doesnt matter much which cpu. 3700x is mighty fine.
Theoretically even a 3330X would do.

Thank you guys. I am not looking to upgrade much for a while after this so want to be secure so will go with 3700x with its 8 cores.
BTW, will there be a 5700x? AMD announced 5600x and 5800x but no 5700x, which is weird.

Thank you guys. I am not looking to upgrade much for a while after this so want to be secure so will go with 3700x with its 8 cores.
BTW, will there be a 5700x? AMD announced 5600x and 5800x but no 5700x, which is weird.

Almost certainly, as there is a massive gap in price between 5600X and 5800X and because of precedent. It's just a question of when, likely early next year or later.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Almost certainly, as there is a massive gap in price between 5600X and 5800X and because of precedent. It's just a question of when, likely early next year or later.
This waiting game fucking sucks. Me in July- let's wait till sep AMD will release new cards. Ok its Oct now. No worries. AMD doesnt announce the one processot that will be perfect for me. Now I need to wait till early next year, and then Intel will be about to release new processors and so on.
The same goes for cards. Let me wait till Nvidia announces 30 series. Damn the best card for me has only 10GB, lets wait till 20GB and AMD. And so on.
I am just on the verge of saying fuck it and get 3700x and 3080, as long as they will be ok for around 3 years of next gen at least.

Last edited:
. Coulomb_Barrier Coulomb_Barrier
You owe me 100Mhz. Pay up buddy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hey I was off by 100Mhz, you win some you lose some. I've sent a check to your address on any case :p

Seriously though, it seems academic that the 5Ghz barrier will be claimed but in TR now, as that was a 100mhz higher than the 16-core last round, but that might be Q2 next year or later.

I was a little shocked after seeing engineering samples at 4.9Ghz already pre-release that they didnt have a SKU @ 5Ghz. Still, 19% IPC means they didnt need that but it was always about marketing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was a little shocked after seeing engineering samples at 4.9Ghz already pre-release that they didnt have a SKU @ 5Ghz. Still, 19% IPC means they didnt need that but it was always about marketing.
They could be saving it for an XT refresh. Or, perhaps, they want as much availability as possible and guaranteeing 5ghz made the binning process that much more strict than it was worth.

They could be saving it for an XT refresh. Or, perhaps, they want as much availability as possible and guaranteeing 5ghz made the binning process that much more strict than it was worth.

Another possibility is they are so far ahead they didn't even deem it necessary to make Intel's Comet Lake look bad. I'm sure they could have pushed the 5950X to 5Ghz, but instead they chose to keep the efficiency at least a generation ahead of Intel, which is insane feat really.

But yeh I do think there are more SKUs in the pipeline to combat Intel's next 14nm Rocket Lake arch in March.

This waiting game fucking sucks. Me in July- let's wait till sep AMD will release new cards. Ok its Oct now. No worries. AMD doesnt announce the one processot that will be perfect for me. Now I need to wait till early next year, and then Intel will be about to release new processors and so on.

I know exactly what you mean, I've been meaning to upgrade my x99/5820k combo for about 1.5 years now. Last year I was waiting for the 3800X then when it came out people immediately started talking about Zen3. Now I too want the 5700X and have to wait for that, but I also want a fanless x570 motherboard... guess what?... wait for that.
I think I'll just hibernate with the ps5, Demons Souls, CP2077 and G O Tsushima and wait this out.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I know exactly what you mean, I've been meaning to upgrade my x99/5820k combo for about 1.5 years now. Last year I was waiting for the 3800X then when it came out people immediately started talking about Zen3. Now I too want the 5700X and have to wait for that, but I also want a fanless x570 motherboard... guess what?... wait for that.
I think I'll just hibernate with the ps5, Demons Souls, CP2077 and G O Tsushima and wait this out.

At least you get to have PS5 and its games. Here in India we dont even have a PS5 release date yet :(

smbu2000

Well there are two fanless x570 boards, that I know of. The Asrock x570 Aqua, although of course that requires watercooling and is super expensive.
The other is the Aorus X570 Xtreme, which just uses nice quality thermal “armor” so a fan isn’t required, also expensive.

I managed to find a great deal on the Aorus X570 Xtreme and replaced my Aorus X570 Master with it to use with my 3900X. (Sold the Master to my friend who is using it with his 2700X for now.)

Honestly, though I didn’t really have a problem with the fan on the X570 Master. Maybe my case fans/video card fans drowned out the sound?
I’d imagine most other X570 boards are similar.

Last edited:
Looks like, for the first time since the Athlon line (~2002), I´ll be going team red for my CPU in 2021 again and finally retire my I76700k

Last edited:

FireFly

AFAIK technically Intel is already producing and selling 10nm chips, they are sadly mobile only as, that's how I understood it at least, they have issues with scaling it up to high performance computing and only manage to keep the CPUs stable and yields affordable in mobile laptop versions. Ice Lake was released in 2019 I think and was already Intels 2nd gen 10nm and somewhen this month of october 2020 Tiger Lake is supposed to launch which will be Intels 3rd gen 10nm microarchitecture.
10 nm desktop chips will be coming in the second half of next year. With their new 10 nm SuperFin architecture, they can get close to 14 nm clocks.

7 nm was delayed by 6 - 12 months, so will be arriving in late 2022/early 2023. If they had to wait for 7nm I think they would be dead in the water.

dave_d

The same goes for cards. Let me wait till Nvidia announces 30 series. Damn the best card for me has only 10GB, lets wait till 20GB and AMD. And so on.
I am just on the verge of saying fuck it and get 3700x and 3080, as long as they will be ok for around 3 years of next gen at least.

Definitely agree. I was figuring they'd have a 5700x but they don't and if they do it'll probably be $380. From what I'm seeing the 5600x is largely equivalent to the 3700x at the same price. (The 5600x being a bit better in single threaded, the 3700x a bit better in multithreaded workloads. Yes, I know we need bench marks to know for sure.) I'm on the verge as well of just doing a 3700x and 3080 at this point as well. Anybody want to take any bets how hard it will be to get anything Zen 3 until after the holidays. BTW, anybody know of any good deals on the 3700x? (techbargains lists walmart but they sold out. Theoretically microcenter but I'd have to pay tolls and go into Cambridge and Cambridge is a dump.)

Xyphie

Have you included the new ones or just what you can find in stores right now?

3600 can regularly be found below $200 which will be hard to beat value-wise until they drop a lower-cost 6-core Zen 3. 3600+B550 motherboard (~$200+$150-200) is a good setup. In a couple years the market will be flooded with cheap Zen2/3 processors so you can get a 8/12/16C if games start needing more threads.

Last edited:

GymWolf

3700x for future proofing.
8 core 16 threads for 300 euros/bucks.
it will possibly drop down even a bit more when the new ones come out in one month.
And i thought that amd was the cheaper choice...i bought my 8600k at launch for 240 euros :ROFLMAO:

So you are absolutely sure that a 3700x is gonna be enough for a nvidia 3000 or even a 4000 series gpu?!

Last edited:

GymWolf

3600 can regularly be found below $200 which will be hard to beat value-wise until they drop a lower-cost 6-core Zen 3. 3600+B550 motherboard (~$200+$150-200) is a good setup. In a couple years the market will be flooded with cheap Zen2/3 processors so you can get a 8/12/16C if games start needing more threads.
Wait, a 3600 is only 6 cores?? I'm not gonna change my already 6 core cpu for another 6 cores, 8 cores minimum or bust.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wait for the 5700X. It'll be $379 probably.
Just came to ask about this. Makes sense, 70 less than the 449 3800X just like the 330 3700X was 70 less than 3800X. Any news on that front? 5800X brings me over budget for sure but I might be able to stretch to a 5700X by only getting 16GB ram initially and going to 32 a little later.

Or maybe I'll just get a 3800x or even something lesser for best value that gets me a nice boost for now but won't last the gen with the intent to upgrade CPU at some point, but I dunno if that's wise, will they keep the same chipset, will I need a whole new system for a meaningful boost?

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Just came to ask about this. Makes sense, 70 less than the 449 3800X just like the 330 3700X was 70 less than 3800X. Any news on that front? 5800X brings me over budget for sure but I might be able to stretch to a 5700X by only getting 16GB ram initially and going to 32 a little later.

Or maybe I'll just get a 3800x or even something lesser for best value that gets me a nice boost for now but won't last the gen with the intent to upgrade CPU at some point, but I dunno if that's wise, will they keep the same chipset, will I need a whole new system for a meaningful boost?
I'd be very surprised if they announce any other SKUs until after demand is met.
This is the last hurrah for AM4.

dave_d

How soon are you thinking of building? I ended up going for a 3800xt and Tomahawk B550 from Amazon on prime day for about $450. I'm thinking somebody is probably going to have similar deals on black friday/CyberMonday that might be worth it to you if you can wait. (While I could have easily afforded it the fact I could get a decent cpu and motherboard for the same price as the 5800x was too good to me.)

Looks like AMD were being conservative with boost clocks:

So it looks like the 5950X can boost up to 5Ghz. PhoenixTank PhoenixTank I'll have my $20 bet money back please :)

Nothing yet, AMD are hiding info on the 5700X until after the premium CPUs release...after about a month there might be more info, or leaks before that.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How soon are you thinking of building? I ended up going for a 3800xt and Tomahawk B550 from Amazon on prime day for about $450. I'm thinking somebody is probably going to have similar deals on black friday/CyberMonday that might be worth it to you if you can wait. (While I could have easily afforded it the fact I could get a decent cpu and motherboard for the same price as the 5800x was too good to me.)
Ya I looked at prices as someone suggested that stuff here. But idk. I was thinking next year but I feel the burn now so was hoping when/soon after Zen 3 launched but without 5700X out, meh. Dunno. Like I said my current system is based on 3770k but I guess I can't get another to last as much.

Doubt we'll get that great cyber monday deals here, third world eurocountry.

Last edited:

dave_d

Ya I looked at prices as someone suggested that stuff here. But idk. I was thinking next year but I feel the burn now so was hoping when/soon after Zen 3 launched but without 5700X out, meh. Dunno. Like I said my current system is based on 3770k but I guess I can't get another to last as much.

Doubt we'll get that great cyber monday deals here, third world eurocountry.
You sound like me. I'm coming from a 3570 and was waiting for the Zen 3 launch to figure out what I was going to do. When there was no 5700x I was pretty much meh as well. After that I figured go for a decent but not super expensive build and if it lasts as long as this rig (7 years but I did upgrade to a gtx 970) that would be good but if I have to update sooner that's fine as well. (Futureproofing is pointless.)

PhoenixTank

Looks like AMD were being conservative with boost clocks:

So it looks like the 5950X can boost up to 5Ghz. PhoenixTank PhoenixTank nixTank I'll have my $20 bet money back please :)

A bit harder to resist getting hyped/wanting one now. I'd been contemplating throwing my 3950X in a smallish PC to render/encode as it stands. Thermals/VRMs for that is a bit of a sticking point.
However you sent me 100 MHz, not $20, and I refuse to pay the ludicrous rate of 20cents per MHz. Who do you think you are? Comet Lake? Get out of here.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Okay, so I'm not going to believe that geekbench recorded clock until it is in the hands of GN or AT. If that was likely to be common across their 5950X silicon I am shocked they didn't make a big deal out of 5GHz on reveal, but I will be very happy if it turns out to be true. Maybe gifting the hype to the tech press? I dunno.

Last edited:
Top Bottom