• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Gameplay Demo (E3 2014)

SykoTech

Not trolling, but they did an absolutely awful job showing off this game. After all the tiny clips we've gotten so far, I was expecting them to have a mind-numbing demo like Uncharted 2 E3 2009. Instead, they show footage that makes the previous other tiny clips seem extravangant in comparison.

Hopefully they are just doing the worse job in the world show casing this game. Either that, or maybe there just isn't much game as I thought there was going to be.

Not trolling, but they did an absolutely awful job showing off this game. After all the tiny clips we've gotten so far, I was expecting them to have a mind-numbing demo like Uncharted 2 E3 2009. Instead, they show footage that makes the previous other tiny clips seem extravangant in comparison.

Hopefully they are just doing the worse job in the world show casing this game. Either that, or maybe there just isn't much game as I thought there was going to be.

But you knew what you were getting with Uncharted 2, I would hazard a guess that Uncharted got a right kicking until it actually arrived, because nobody knew what it was supposed to be.

I'd hate to be a developer having to show a work in progress, or a snippet of a game that represents the whole to the rabid masses. I'd seriously prefer to hear nothing but a name, a bit of detail and then forget about it until it's released.

People want to know too much, want no surprises, and others just keep on finding reasons to kick things. It's a crazy way to go through life, you can be critical but not totally nihilistic towards a game, it's just not healthy. If a game looks shit, and you don't like the look of it, why get wound up by going back constantly to stare at the source?

Is there any info about the lady in the videos? I love how she looks. Reminds me of her:

Anna+Popplewell+Tom+Green+Anna+Popplewell+HzHKeHS1cXql.jpg

But you knew what you were getting with Uncharted 2, I would hazard a guess that Uncharted got a right kicking until it actually arrived, because nobody knew what it was supposed to be.

I'd hate to be a developer having to show a work in progress, or a snippet of a game that represents the whole to the rabid masses. I'd seriously prefer to hear nothing but a name, a bit of detail and then forget about it until it's released.

People want to know too much, want no surprises, and others just keep on finding reasons to kick things. It's a crazy way to go through life, you can be critical but not totally nihilistic towards a game, it's just not healthy. If a game looks shit, and you don't like the look of it, why get wound up by going back constantly to stare at the source?

This is not a RAD issue exclusively but for any game on that matter. TLOU could've showcased a chapter that focused more on gun-combat and people would easily dismiss it as another Uncharted. If anything, it points out to the deficiency of their PR capabilities OR, they simply don't have any material that makes them standout.

There are only 8 months before release with the final few dedicated for bug cleanups, which means the alpha should almost be done. It's quite hard to fathom that they cannot pick 2 minutes of their gameplay system that is worth noting (especially at the biggest gaming event). We can only surmise at this juncture that they have no "ace" in reserve and revealing that would pretty much spoil all the hype of this game.

You can't blame us for being skeptical especially when other developers have overcome this issue. What else than hopeful speculation could you pull from these reveals? Are the developers really banking being spoiler-free that they'd risk potentially good PR especially with their first entry to the AAA foray? If so, they really have a lot of faith in this game and it's content.

Ricky_R

description: The Order: 1886 - NEW Gameplay Twitch Stream E3 2014 (HD) - Interview with developers, new footage and new mechanics. E3 2014 coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYUFRge6ZMM

almost 8 minutes of continious gameplay footage

Andrea seems to be having some issues aiming. haha

Maybe there's something up with the controller since he was looking at it with anger at the beginning. :D

EDIT:

AI needs some serious work, btw. What's the deal with that dude just standing there moving in circles at 6:38?

Andrea seems to be having some issues aiming. haha

Maybe there's something up with the controller since he was looking at it with anger at the beginning. :D

EDIT:

AI needs some serious work, btw. What's the deal with that dude just standing there moving in circles at 6:38?

Was about to post about AI too. We have seen this sequence played by different players at different times and the AI behaves almost exactly same in all of them and also not that smart. As usual I am hoping this is just demo so its at lowest level and unfinished code. I want this game to be really good as I love the setting and characters. Looking forward to more impressions from the floor.

PS: In the video they were asked about other locales and devs said that there will be other areas with much more colors and different looks. This is good to know.

Carn82

Guys any questions you want me to ask in our interview? I will be going in an hour

from a graphics point of view (since they seem to be pretty proud about that): are there any engine/graphics features that have been put on hold because of time constraints? (answer usually is yes, but maybe it will give some insight into development after The Order :) )

Frillen

So many trolls in here.

Just ignore them. There is no point quoting their posts.

Anyway, the game looks amazing. It's sad it has been delayed.

So you're a troll if you find the game disappointing? Is it against the TOS or something to criticize the game?

Loudninja

Ask them about the supposed destructible environments.
shinobi mention destruction
Well, there's a playable combat demo on the showfloor and it's been getting pretty good praise. But 'Heavy Rain' sentiment popping up now is a little unfounded I think. The feeling at RAD was to show something other than the shooting, something slower paced and more atmospheric, but again that's hard considering you got 3 minutes or so...

They'll start marketing the game a lot better getting closer to release. There's a bunch of crazy weapons in the game that haven't properly been shown. One even blows limbs off of enemies, literally. Lots of battles with hybrids, calling in airstrikes, setpiece moments, lots of destruction...they just...haven't demonstrated that properly yet. Expect to see that stuff at Gamescom.

While the gameplay during Sony's conference didn't impress me, it's still a game I will pick up. I think the time period is interesting and the whole concept seems really different and new.

This is not a RAD issue exclusively but for any game on that matter. TLOU could've showcased a chapter that focused more on gun-combat and people would easily dismiss it as another Uncharted. If anything, it points out to the deficiency of their PR capabilities OR, they simply don't have any material that makes them standout.

There are only 8 months before release with the final few dedicated for bug cleanups, which means the alpha should almost be done. It's quite hard to fathom that they cannot pick 2 minutes of their gameplay system that is worth noting (especially at the biggest gaming event). We can only surmise at this juncture that they have no "ace" in reserve and revealing that would pretty much spoil all the hype of this game.

You can't blame us for being skeptical especially when other developers have overcome this issue. What else than hopeful speculation could you pull from these reveals? Are the developers really banking being spoiler-free that they'd risk potentially good PR especially with their first entry to the AAA foray? If so, they really have a lot of faith in this game and it's content.

In one of the interviews, one of the devs or reps said "just before the E3 demo scene, there was a solid amount of exploration leading up to that moment" or something to that effect.

The question is, WHY NOT SHOW THAT! It just made no sense, because it's like they acknowledge the criticism, state that they actually have a counter to said criticism, but have continually refused to show it.

So, if it is just a PR problem, then whatever, but I want to see the extent of this exploration

fasTRapid

Banned
In one of the interviews, one of the devs or reps said "just before the E3 demo scene, there was a solid amount of exploration leading up to that moment" or something to that effect.

The question is, WHY NOT SHOW THAT!
Simple: It's standalone not as appealing as shoot, shoot, bang, bang. You can see the exploration prompt on one of the doors right at the beginning of the E3 presser demo, though. They wanted to show as much as possible in the given time frame, so they just walked straight through the exploration part, to show it's there and then show the next thing, the werewolve sequence.

Simple: It's standalone not as appealing as shoot, shoot, bang, bang. You can see the exploration prompt on one of the doors right at the beginning of the E3 presser demo, though. They wanted to show as much as possible in the given time frame, so they just walked straight through the exploration part, to show it's there and then show the next thing, the werewolve sequence.

Well they clearly showcased a very narrow "exploration" segment and a meaningless shoot, bang, bang that has no effect on the enemy. The worst of both worlds.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I got to play The Order today, but I'm currently in the process of writing my E3 write-up, so I'll try and post impressions in the next hour or so.

Spoiler: O_O

EDIT: I'm also not sure where I'd post my full E3 impressions. Is there an overall E3 thread?

Charcoal

I got to play The Order today, but I'm currently in the process of writing my E3 write-up, so I'll try and post impressions in the next hour or so.

Spoiler: O_O

EDIT: I'm also not sure where I'd post my full E3 impressions. Is there an overall E3 thread?
Looking forward to reading your write-up! Hopefully we can soon ;)

Future

Show floor demo doesn't have a lot of gameplay either. They are really pushing the cinematic nature of the game. This will probably not be the place to go to get the Gears fix, but might be where you get your Last of Us cinematic fix

Mifune

Mehmber
Show floor demo doesn't have a lot of gameplay either. They are really pushing the cinematic nature of the game. This will probably not be the place to go to get the Gears fix, but might be where you get your Last of Us cinematic fix

Last of Us is no more cinematic than Gears. I think Uncharted is the game you're looking for.

Loudninja

That whole demo is nothing but gameplay.

prwxv3

They've said that other areas are much more vibrant and colorful. Apparently there is a lot of variety in the environments.

And putting colors for the sake of colors is not a good idea. It could make a game look ugly if it does not match the setting and atmousphere.

Top Bottom