• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Gameplay Demo (E3 2014)

shem935

Banned
"There's the writing work that went into the scripts and of course there's the actors, everything you see in this game is motion captured, even the gameplay although it's fully playable and all that stuff(lol), we made sure that every move felt real so we had stunt actors, performance actors doing all this stuff so that they remain true to what you would expect from a real character on film"

Why do I get the sense these guys really just wanted to make a movie instead?

How? negative opinion = trolling?
I wasn't talking about the graphics if that's what you're getting at, I think the graphics are incredible. "Gameplay" on the other hand just looks aweful to me.

Wow your comments and criticism are so original please tell me more about how this should be a movie and why I should care about what you are saying.

There have been lots of good impressions of the gameplay from this thread alone. That tells me
1. You didn't read the thread.
2. You are cherry picking in order to troll.
3. You are shit posting in said thread you didn't read.

The Goat

Demo looked absolutely amazing. Wish there was more gameplay to it. Definitely a lot of move here, watch cutscene going on.

Probably just because it was the first I've played of the game, but the controls felt a bit loose. Like the Gears cover system and the thermite weapons.

prwxv3

"There's the writing work that went into the scripts and of course there's the actors, everything you see in this game is motion captured, even the gameplay although it's fully playable and all that stuff(lol), we made sure that every move felt real so we had stunt actors, performance actors doing all this stuff so that they remain true to what you would expect from a real character on film"

I wasn't talking about the graphics if that's what you're getting at, I think the graphics are incredible. "Gameplay" on the other hand just looks aweful to me.

Sorry bro "fuck this game it looks terrible" is not a suitable criticism.

Footos22

It's the gameplay that everyone says is fun. Maybe you can go back in your cave now.

Wins e3 awards.... Must be terrible

Loudninja

More than a few gaffers have introduced themselves to me while waiting in line to play our demo. Thanks again to all those that have come by so far, and I'll be in the booth pretty much all day tomorrow. If you want to ask some questions, just look for the sideburns.

Also, thank you for the impressions being left in this thread, good/bad, or anything in between. It's great to hear from each user playing the demo, and I try to stop a bunch on the way out to find out what they thought, or just to talk about what everyone saw and enjoyed outside of our booth.

Hope to see some more of you tomorrow. :D
Man I wish I could play :p

Dire

...Read the impressions from the multiple gaffers and outlets saying the game is fun before shit posting please.

FWIW I don't actually give "multiple gaffers" credit for any sort of objectivity here in spite of the implication of exactly that. They're either media associated or were willing to pay hundreds of dollars and wait who knows how long in either case to get access to said demo. In either case you end up in a situation where all experiences are going to be viewed through incredibly rose colored glasses.

It seems strange but I think it's more reasonable to base my opinion on the footage shown (even more so given they could cherry pick whatever they wanted and they chose 'that') thus far rather than what I'd certainly put in quotes as "impressions."

Sharpeye

More than a few gaffers have introduced themselves to me while waiting in line to play our demo. Thanks again to all those that have come by so far, and I'll be in the booth pretty much all day tomorrow. If you want to ask some questions, just look for the sideburns.

Also, thank you for the impressions being left in this thread, good/bad, or anything in between. It's great to hear from each user playing the demo, and I try to stop a bunch on the way out to find out what they thought, or just to talk about what everyone saw and enjoyed outside of our booth.

Keep up the good work!!!

prwxv3

Man you have a great attitude. I have seen devs go full meltdown with similar reactions in this thread. Props

prwxv3

A witch burning for not liking a game? you guys are awesome, enjoy you're "game"
Peace.

Oh I sense elitism. I hope you enjoy your real games while the plebs enjoy this "game"

Oh and just to let you know you won't last long here if you start a criticism with "fuck this game" on every game game you don't like.

shem935

Banned
FWIW I don't actually give "multiple gaffers" credit for any sort of objectivity here in spite of the implication of exactly that. They're either media associated or were willing to pay hundreds of dollars and wait who knows how long in either case to get access to said demo. In either case you end up in a situation where all experiences are going to be viewed through incredibly rose colored glasses.

It seems strange but I think it's more reasonable to base my opinion on the footage shown (even more so given they could cherry pick whatever they wanted and they chose 'that') thus far rather than what I'd certainly put in quotes as "impressions."

You may not but I do. In most cases they have seen more gameplay or footage than we have seen. They have been exposed to more and therefor have a more legitimate opinion than I do at least. Especially members of the media who have attended E3 for multiple years and whom I trust to be impartial. I don't get why we suddenly can't take stock in people that at least I have always taken stock in.

GHG

Gold Member
A witch burning for not liking a game? you guys are awesome, enjoy you're "game"
Peace.

If you don't like it (and judging from your reactions you already knew you didn't like this game before you entered the thread) then why are you posting in this thread?

I don't like halo, dead rising and crackdown. So what do I do? Stay out of those threads, or at most just silently observe. There would be nothing to gain in me going into those threads other than shitting them up. It's something called courtesy and respecting the fact that other people can find enjoyment in things that you don't.

This place would be a mess if everyone just went around posting negative comments in threads about games that are not "their type" of game. Show some respect.

11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=835823

OneLetter

Man I wish I could play :p

Just have to wait until February 20th! Or maybe another convention in the near future?

Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks! Nearly our entire booth is filled with members from our team at RAD who wanted to work and talk to the fans coming in. It's been an incredibly humbling two days, especially since we've been so quiet about the game after the GI cover.

Man you have a great attitude. I have seen devs go full meltdown with similar reactions in this thread. Props

As a personal statement, I see no reason to get angry over negative reactions. Not everyone is going to like our game, or the creative vision of the studio. I've worked on plenty of games before this that were polarizing as well, and sometimes those negative opinions are actually well on point. I of course love hearing the positives though, so keep them coming. :D

Take the good with the bad, bring them all together, and build upon it. Seeing people walk into our booth, telling me their skepticism in line before picking up the DS4, and then to walk out the other side with a smile on their face from a changed opinion built from watching videos, that's a great feeling. I hope it continues even more tomorrow.

prwxv3

Just have to wait until February 20th! Or maybe another convention in the near future?

Thanks! Nearly our entire booth is filled with members from our team at RAD who wanted to work and talk to the fans coming in. It's been an incredibly humbling two days, especially since we've been so quiet about the game after the GI cover.

As a personal statement, I see no reason to get angry over negative reactions. Not everyone is going to like our game, or the creative vision of the studio. I've worked on plenty of games before this that were polarizing as well, and sometimes those negative opinions are actually well on point.

Take the good with the bad, bring them all together, and build upon it. Seeing people walk into our booth, telling me their skepticism in line before picking up the DS4, and then to walk out the other side with a smile on their face from a changed opinion built from watching videos, that's a great feeling. I hope it continues even more tomorrow. :)

You need to get a tag so everyone knows your are from RAD.

Pimpwerx

Is it possible to quote some of the demo impressions in the op? I'm on my tablet, so searching the thread is difficult. I'd like to read what people who actually played it think. PEACE.

Ve1ocity

Oh I sense elitism. I hope you enjoy your real games while the plebs enjoy this "game"

Oh and just to let you know you won't last long here if you start a criticism with "fuck this game" on every game game you don't like.

Not at all, I'm more than happy to let everyone enjoy what ever game they like, just as I'm more than happy to let people criticise the games I like(I like DW I'm used to harsh criticism and words like garbage, it's ok)
I reacted to what I thought of the trailer and some didn't take to it well.

FYI I didn't say "fuck this game" the fuck was followed by a comma. It was more frustration cause I wanted to like it.

shem935

Banned
Eh? From what I've seen people are saying it looks nice and the shooting mechanics work well. Nothing new or surprising.

Huh funny I remember someone saying "It keeps looking worse and worse". What you described as a nice looking game with mechanics that work well sounds terrible doesn't it. Almost like ubisoft developed it right? Dem goalposts they be moving.

Dire

If you don't like it (and judging from your reactions you already knew you didn't like this game before you entered the thread) then why are you posting in this thread?

This place would be a mess if everyone just went around posting negative comments in threads about games that are not "their type" of game....

I think a big thing here is that the game is being marketed as a mass market type title - not another Heavy Rain or whatever. It was being pushed as a cover based third person shooter which makes it sound like something like Gears of War - not a QTE game.

shem935

Banned
I think a big thing here is that the game is being marketed as a mass market type title - not another Heavy Rain or whatever. It was being pushed as a cover based third person shooter which makes it sound like something like Gears of War - not a QTE game.

It is literally not a QTE game. Watch the gameplay. It's a third person shooter. Come on now. On no level is it even close to Heavy rain.

Spoilers: Heavy rain is awesome.

Huh funny I remember someone saying "It keeps looking worse and worse". What you described as a nice looking game with mechanics that work well sounds terrible doesn't it. Almost like ubisoft developed it right? Dem goalposts they be moving.

Uyzdxlu.gif

The new 'gameplay' trailer with the monster looked absolutely horrible.

GHG

Gold Member

From what I've seen it's not a QTE game though... It's a story driven cover based shooter with interactive (QTE) cutscenes from what I've seen.

For all you know they may give people the option to have the cutscenes as non interactive without the QTE's. Then it becomes what?

benzy

The gameplay demo practically shows that it's more of a cover based shooter than a QTE game...

Desty

Banned
Wow, that is crazy visual quality. They are breaking new ground for in game materials. I can only imagine how long it took to create that scene. I have the feeling, in order to keep up that level of quality for the whole game, that the Order is going to take a long time to finish.

Dire

You may not but I do. In most cases they have seen more gameplay or footage than we have seen. They have been exposed to more and therefor have a more legitimate opinion than I do at least. Especially members of the media who have attended E3 for multiple years and whom I trust to be impartial. I don't get why we suddenly can't take stock in people that at least I have always taken stock in.

If you trust members of the games media to be impartial then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, the reason I'm replying here is the former part of your post. It sounds logical but it's not. The issue I'm talking about is a preconceived preference (or bias). What type of person is most likely to be willing to pay nearly a thousand dollars to get some hands on access to some games and devs? Is it going to be people who are lukewarm, moderate or incredibly enthusiastic about said games/devs? Assuming you're not going to be banal or feign ignorance the answer is obvious.

That attitude is rarely going to get notched down a ton, especially not once they've already dumped nearly a thousand into attending the event. In a way it's kind of like political dinners. Imagine candidate Bob hosts a $1000 a plate dinner. A bunch of people attend and come out screaming the praises of Bob from the top of their lungs. Is it because their opinion is now "more legitimate" or is it because they had a preconceived notion of Bob which was the reason they were, in the first place, willing to spend $1000 just to spend some time with him?

benzy

Wow, that is crazy visual quality. They are breaking new ground for in game materials. I can only imagine how long it took to create that scene. I have the feeling, in order to keep up that level of quality for the whole game, that the Order is going to take a long time to finish.

It's coming in February. I'm more concerned about the length of the game considering the amount of time and money that goes into making a decent lengthy single player with this visual quality.

by this logic wouldn't all games at e3 be view through incredibly rose colored glasses?

Dire

From what I've seen it's not a QTE game though... It's a story driven cover based shooter with interactive (QTE) cutscenes from what I've seen.

For all you know they may give people the option to have the cutscenes as non interactive without the QTE's. Then it becomes what?

The scene appears heavily scripted. In other words you are shooting at the were-zombie thing but it's impossible to win or otherwise meaningfully change the scene. It's just a sequence where instead of pressing A, you press right trigger.

prwxv3

They don't fit the narrative.

I fully understand and agree with some of the harsh reactions to the horrible monster trailer. But if future threads are just about shitting on the game and the devs about movie bullshit no matter what is shown, I will be annoyed.

prwxv3

I did. How about you read my god damn posts.

You just said the monster gameplay looked bad when replying to a poster talking about the good impressions. The good impressions were not over that, they were over a different demo. And some of the impressions liked the gameplay from that demo. nothing new and exciting is not grounds for making a game look worse.

You just said the monster gameplay looked bad. The good impressions were not over that, they were over a different demo. And some of the impressions liked the gameplay from that demo. That is not getting worse.

When I said it looked worse I was talking about the monster part only. The gameplay demo was streamed a few weeks ago.

shem935

Banned
If you trust members of the games media to be impartial then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, the reason I'm replying here is the former part of your post. It sounds logical but it's not. The issue I'm talking about is a preconceived preference (or bias). What type of person is most likely to be willing to pay nearly a thousand dollars to get some hands on access to some games and devs? Is it going to be people who are lukewarm, moderate or incredibly enthusiastic about said games/devs? Assuming you're not going to be banal or feign ignorance the answer is obvious.

That attitude is rarely going to get notched down a ton, especially not once they've already dumped nearly a thousand into attending the event. In a way it's kind of like political dinners. Imagine candidate Bob hosts a $1000 a plate dinner. A bunch of people attend and come out screaming the praises of Bob from the top of their lungs. Is it because their opinion is now "more legitimate" or is it because they had a preconceived notion of Bob which was the reason they were, in the first place, willing to spend $1000 just to spend some time with him?

I guess we will. However I will say that gaffers and Journos alike were trashing drive club last year and those impressions improved. Why? Because the game did. By your logic everyone should have been praising the game. But I digress.

Dire

by this logic wouldn't all games at e3 be view through incredibly rose colored glasses?

Yes, but not only for why I said. There's also the societal effects. It's easy to look at something and say it's terrible when sitting alone in our nice dark man caves. It's a bit different when you're in a room surrounded by noise, bright lights and lots of people cheering to say nothing of the devs who are pouring their hearts and souls into these games. I think people are naturally sympathetic - it's tough to hate on a game when you're there chatting with the very team pouring their hearts and souls into the games we're seeing. Passion can be contagious.

Tried it out at the booth today, looks absolutely stunning, had a moment of "oh shit this isn't a cutscene?!" after the first cutscene. Main gun is pretty interesting, wish the demo was a bit longer tbh!

Yes, but not only for why I said. There's also the societal effects. It's easy to look at something and say it's terrible when sitting alone in our nice dark man caves. It's a bit different when you're in a room surrounded by noise, bright lights and lots of people cheering to say nothing of the devs who are pouring their hearts and souls into these games. I think people are naturally sympathetic - it's tough to hate on a game when you're there chatting with the very team pouring their hearts and souls into the games we're seeing. Passion can be contagious.

but they could have genuinely like what they played and might not be a byproduct of being caught up in the moment

benzy

The scene appears heavily scripted. In other words you are shooting at the were-zombie thing but it's impossible to win or otherwise meaningfully change the scene. It's just a sequence where instead of pressing A, you press right trigger.

Most games contain scenes that are heavily scripted. Uncharted, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Tomb Raider. I'm not sure what your point is. All of those games listed should have gotten as much shit for their scripted scenes, but they don't, because they are actually good games with a good single player experience even with the scripted events.

It was a small short section. That whole e3 Lycan scene could have just been a regular cutscene instead of mixing in short gameplay interactive parts, but that's the point. If it was just a cutscenes people would probably be like no way that's in-game, it has to be pre-rendered. But no, they're interactive, it's real-time. I think the big draw in for the interactive cinematics in The Order is that it proves these are real time graphics that are benchmark for future games. They've barely shown much of the game anyway.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

No, thank you! You guys have crafted an impressive frigging game. As I stated in my impressions, the only thing that I wasn't a fan of was how imprecise the pistol was. When I aim at the head, and the crosshair turns red, I expect to get a headshot! Not have the bullet fly off course and hit his shoulder instead! But really, the game is sweet. Can't wait to get my hands on it next year.

Top Bottom