• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Gameplay Demo (E3 2014)

What are you talking about you quoted a poster and said that monster gamplay looked horrible that is a reply. This argument is getting stupid.

Context how does it work? I'm going to quote the posts and explain it to you.

This game keeps looking worse and worse. It's almost like Ubisoft was publishing it.

Talking about monster trailer here.

What are you even talking about? Read the impressions from the multiple gaffers and outlets saying the game is fun before shit posting please.

LOL

Read the past couple pages. People have played it and they're saying great things.

Eh? From what I've seen people are saying it looks nice and the shooting mechanics work well. Nothing new or surprising.

Talking about the gameplay impressions here. Same demo that was streamed earlier.

Huh funny I remember someone saying "It keeps looking worse and worse". What you described as a nice looking game with mechanics that work well sounds terrible doesn't it. Almost like ubisoft developed it right? Dem goalposts they be moving.

The new 'gameplay' trailer with the monster looked absolutely horrible.

This guy refers to my first post again, and I say the new monster stuff looked bad. THe gameplay demo stuff was old. Boom.

Authority

Banned
So many trolls in here.

Just ignore them. There is no point quoting their posts.

Anyway, the game looks amazing. It's sad it has been delayed.

I got news for you.

Also, thank you for the impressions being left in this thread, good/bad, or anything in between.

Thanks for not treating our criticism(s) as troll posts.

I have been meaning to ask for a while. This will be a franchise right? Or will that depend how well the first game sells?

Toparaman

Banned
More than a few gaffers have introduced themselves to me while waiting in line to play our demo. Thanks again to all those that have come by so far, and I'll be in the booth pretty much all day tomorrow. If you want to ask some questions, just look for the sideburns.

Also, thank you for the impressions being left in this thread, good/bad, or anything in between. It's great to hear from each user playing the demo, and I try to stop a bunch on the way out to find out what they thought, or just to talk about what everyone saw and enjoyed outside of our booth.

Hope to see some more of you tomorrow. :D

Man, you must have a skin of steel to be reading this thread and be so gracious. If it was my game I don't think I'd be able to take it. I've been critical of this game, but I've tried to keep it constructive, and I always try to remember that there are actual people behind these games.

Dire

Most games contain scenes that are heavily scripted. Uncharted, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Tomb Raider. I'm not sure what your point is. All of those games listed should have gotten as much shit for their scripted scenes, but they don't, because they are actually good games with a good single player experience even with the scripted events.

It was a small short section. That whole e3 Lycan scene could have just been a regular cutscene instead of mixing in short gameplay interactive parts, but that's the point. If it was just a cutscenes people would probably be like no way that's in-game, it has to be pre-rendered. But no, they're interactive, it's real-time. I think the big draw in for the interactive cinematics in The Order is that it proves these are real time graphics that are benchmark for future games. They've barely shown much of the game anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k--82Lnm7w

That's the E3 reveal for Uncharted. Hopefully you can see the difference. I'm sure a lot of the scenes in that trailer were scripted but it didn't seem like it. The clip for The Order looked scripted and frankly very boring. A scene I'd normally hope to be able to push start to skip.

I would not for a second assume those graphics were prerendered.

prwxv3

Context how does it work? I'm going to quote the posts and explain it to you.

Talking about monster trailer here.

Talking about the gameplay impressions here. Same demo that was streamed earlier.

This guy refers to my first post again, and I say the new monster stuff looked bad. THe gameplay demo stuff was old. Boom.

This is some fine spinning bro. The demo is old but the good impressions are new from E3 and were after the bad monster demo shown In the press conference.

Anyways we are arguing over stupid shit so I will stop.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thanks for not treating our criticism(s) as troll posts.

I have been meaning to ask for a while. This will be a franchise right? Or will that depend how well the first game sells?
Both RAD and Sony have talked a few times about making this a franchise, even a couple mentions of shows/movies and not just games. Granted, I assume the first game's success and receptiom factors into that but it sounds like they have some big plans.

IcyEyes

I forgot to mention in my previous post about my impression of this game how incredible friendly the guys from RaD are.
We spent at least 15 minutes talking with a guy (maybe it's oneletter :D) and he was not only friendly, but also really interested to listen to our feedback.

This is our first big game and they really want to do a good job, so I wish all of the best to them!

demolitio

Sony's Ryse Filmic demo clearly not getting much Love, did you not understand it was going for Filmic vibes?

Conveniently ignoring the Best of Show awards just to do the same lame joke?

Consistent at least.

Anyway, I think based on the impressions and the actual demo, this might just go down as one of the worst marketed games so far since they rarely showed any gameplay and kept showing story segments, and then show the worst snippet possible for the Sony conference only hurting their game. Then the demo comes out which has its own problems, but is getting quite a bit of love and is a complete turnaround from the videos they've shown in the past. They put themselves in this position, but I'm sure some good gameplay videos and impressions can clear that up for most people besides the ones that don't like TPS or want it to fail like above...

I think if the game was communicated better with Sony allowing more footage to be shown, they wouldn't have this reaction. I mean, we're always going to have people complaining about a TPS game having TPS mechanics, but this whole "movie" cliche is a result directly from their marketing.

Unfortunately, no matter what they show now, we'll have to see those "movie" comments regardless of the gameplay. I just hope they're sticking to their guns about gameplay being shown first and foremost from now on. The story really didn't need selling to most people as the setting alone has that covered, it's about compelling gameplay.

Even watching videos of the game I get the impression the aiming is wonky. It's the only serious fear I have for the game. You've got to nail the gameplay mechanics first in my book.

Thankfully the game has a good six months left in development, so I'm optimistic it'll get there.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even watching videos of the game I get the impression the aiming is wonky. It's the only serious fear I have for the game. You've got to nail the gameplay mechanics first in my book.

Thankfully the game has a good six months left in development, so I'm optimistic it'll get there.

It sounds good here:
The feedback of the guns, in my opinion, was really well done. Granted, I was only able to use the pistol and the thermite gun, but the recoil after firing each shot was refreshing; each shot causes you to recollect your aim, which is a serious departure from no recoil shooters like COD and Titanfall.

Palocca

When I played the E3 demo, aiming felt good. I think the recoil from shooting the weapon is the thing that's causing that weird feel when spectating the game. It's different from most games in that the recoil affects the aim horizontally as well as vertically.

B.O.O.M

I'm really happy to read the positive tone of the feedback so far from those who played ..hype+1

When I played the E3 demo, aiming felt good. I think the recoil from shooting the weapon is the thing that's causing that weird feel when spectating the game. It's different from most games in that the recoil affects the aim horizontally as well as vertically.

Which is excellent considering the setting/time of the game

demolitio

Could you really feel the soft-body physics on the enemies like shooting them in the legs actually affecting them?

A lot of the stage demos were hard to tell since they just kept setting them on fire.

Arondight

I'm still a little skeptical because of the narrow scenarios and little amounts of variation in engagement but impressions seem good. I'm sick of games with little to no recoil so some of the news is a plus.

I also love cinematic games but I do feel that the previews have been a little too heavy handed so hopefully there's more cutscenes replaced with gameplay.

Future

Aiming was surprisingly easy and smooth. Was easy to shoot stuff and felt good. The AI was really basic though, so you are shooting at stationary targets a lot of the time

Palocca

Could you really feel the soft-body physics on the enemies like shooting them in the legs actually affecting them?

A lot of the stage demos were hard to tell since they just kept setting them on fire.

Most of the demo had you using the thermite gun. However, during that segment where you're dragging the injured friend into safety, I did shoot the enemy in the knee once; they did react accordingly. Also, when using the blackwater, I shot an enemy in the shoulder, and they spun around and fell from the force of the shot. I'm not sure if that's what you were hoping for, but the enemies react like you would expect from getting shot.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

The Thermite Rifle felt fine to me. It was the pistol that I took issue with, as the bullets really just didn't go where I was aiming, even when I carefully took aim, turned the crosshair red, and pulled the trigger. The Thermite Rifle was great. Really enjoyed using that. Overall, I was very impressed with what I played.

demolitio

Most of the demo had you using the thermite gun. However, during that segment where you're dragging the injured friend into safety, I did shoot the enemy in the knee once; they did react accordingly. Also, when using the blackwater, I shot an enemy in the shoulder, and they spun around and fell from the force of the shot. I'm not sure if that's what you were hoping for, but the enemies react like you would expect from getting shot.

That's exactly what I was hoping for since it was one of the things I was most excited about when they mentioned the physics in this game.

Thanks for the reply. I love me some enemy reactions that aren't canned. I miss Euphoria quite a bit so I was immediately excited just at the possibility of this game having something similar.

Palocca

The Thermite Rifle felt fine to me. It was the pistol that I took issue with, as the bullets really just didn't go where I was aiming, even when I carefully took aim, turned the crosshair red, and pulled the trigger. The Thermite Rifle was great. Really enjoyed using that. Overall, I was very impressed with what I played.

Yeah, I do agree that the thermite gun was much easier to handle from the pistol. But from what I recall, there was still that horizontal/vertical recoil, if ever so slightly with the thermite.

The pistol definitely had a larger kick and it was immediately more noticeable. But, I didn't think the initial shot was inaccurate for me at all. It just took a lot longer for me to recollect my aim.

reKon

Banned
So the guns actually handle differently and have recoil. All as it's all smoothed out on the final releases it's all good, but I expect people to still complain because it doesn't handle like gears or something.

Yeah, I do agree that the thermite gun was much easier to handle from the pistol. But from what I recall, there was still that horizontal/vertical recoil, if ever so slightly with the thermite.

The pistol definitely had a larger kick and it was immediately more noticeable. But, I didn't think the initial shot was inaccurate for me at all. It just took a lot longer for me to recollect my aim.

That sounds really good for me, especially the bit about the recoil.

I can't wait to fuck around with the thermite rifle. I just want new guns in games. I tire of the standard choices between AR, shotty, pistol and sniper rifle.

Palocca

That sounds really good for me, especially the bit about the recoil.

I thought so too, I personally thought it gave the pistol a unique feel. I'm really looking forward to trying out all of the other weapons after playing the demo. I can tell that they put a lot of effort into giving each one an identity. I just hope that we'll be able to use them in equally unique levels.

benzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k--82Lnm7w

That's the E3 reveal for Uncharted. Hopefully you can see the difference. I'm sure a lot of the scenes in that trailer were scripted but it didn't seem like it. The clip for The Order looked scripted and frankly very boring. A scene I'd normally hope to be able to push start to skip.

I would not for a second assume those graphics were prerendered.

That trailer doesn't convey the scripting in the games at all. There wasn't even any gameplay script moments, it's just a bunch of short scenes cut to the music like a trailer for every other game. It seems your beef is with scripting in general (not what was boring or how interesting it looked), so I really don't see how that trailer proves anything. Personally I thought the Lycan Order demo was very well scripted, the problem is the lack of gameplay control. But the point is, it was a cutscene that you can interact with.

Here's the opening act for Uncharted 2 and it isn't all that different from what we're seeing in The Order. Move some distance, get the controls taken away from you for scripted scene to occur, move some more, another script shows up, do a couple more platform jumps, bam cutscene time. And this is from a very beloved game from last gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7BAelqlxwI&t=2m20s

I thought so too, I personally thought it gave the pistol a unique feel. I'm really looking forward to trying out all of the other weapons after playing the demo. I can tell that they put a lot of effort into giving each one an identity. I just hope that we'll be able to use them in equally unique levels.

Excellent, good to hear. The recoil for the different weapons sounds quite good.

Most games contain scenes that are heavily scripted. Uncharted, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Tomb Raider. I'm not sure what your point is. All of those games listed should have gotten as much shit for their scripted scenes, but they don't, because they are actually good games with a good single player experience even with the scripted events.

It was a small short section. That whole e3 Lycan scene could have just been a regular cutscene instead of mixing in short gameplay interactive parts, but that's the point. If it was just a cutscenes people would probably be like no way that's in-game, it has to be pre-rendered. But no, they're interactive, it's real-time. I think the big draw in for the interactive cinematics in The Order is that it proves these are real time graphics that are benchmark for future games. They've barely shown much of the game anyway.

Alternatively, that whole Lycan section could've had a lot more actual gameplay, or been completely gameplay instead of a parade of cutscenes with short bursts of gameplay. That's why it's hard for me to buy into any of the positive impressions because they don't seem to care about what's bothering me. Max Payne 3 has some of the best gunplay in the industry and was butchered by its cutscene focused design, and I'm seeing eerily similar pacing here, even despite the fact that we've only gotten short clips of the game.

benzy

Alternatively, that whole Lycan section could've had a lot more actual gameplay, or been completely gameplay instead of a parade of cutscenes with short bursts of gameplay. That's why it's hard for me to buy into any of the positive impressions because they don't seem to care about what's bothering me. Max Payne 3 has some of the best gunplay in the industry and was butchered by it's cutscene focused design, and I'm seeing eerily similar pacing here, even despite the short clips of gameplay we've been shown.

That's true, but I think that scene was just to introduce the lycan and your character wasn't meant to be able to kill them at that point. So regardless of how much gameplay where you actually get to shoot at it, the outcome would always be the same. It really was a poor choice of showing the game considering all the backlash of cutscene/qte heavy stuff they've received.

Just assuming here but there are probably actual gameplay moments in game where the lycans are regular enemies you have to kill without cutscenes getting involved. I'm also not a huge fan of Max Payne 3's intrusive gameplay moment cutscenes (didn't even bother to finish the game), but maybe it's because I also found Max Payne's cutscenes to be very boring to watch; just didn't give a shit about the dialogue or events that occurred. That Lycan scene in the demo was more interesting to watch and a bit more suspenseful on the other hand, in my opinion.

Jaradakar

That trailer doesn't convey the scripting in the games at all. There wasn't even any gameplay script moments, it's just a bunch of short scenes cut to the music like a trailer for every other game. It seems your beef is with scripting in general (not what was boring or how interesting it looked), so I really don't see how that trailer proves anything. Personally I thought the Lycan Order demo was very well scripted, the problem is the lack of gameplay control. But the point is, it was a cutscene that you can interact with.

Here's the opening act for Uncharted 2 and it isn't all that different from what we're seeing in The Order. Move some distance, get the controls taken away from you for scripted scene to occur, move some more, another script shows up, do a couple more platform jumps, bam cutscene time. And this is from a very beloved game from last gen.

Thanks Benzy!

We did a ton of research on the timing and intermixing cinematics and gameplay in many games (like Uncharted 2) and it's that sort of pacing that we are striving for.

benzy

Thanks Benzy!

We did a ton of research on the timing and intermixing cinematics and gameplay in many games (like Uncharted 2) and it's that sort of pacing that we are striving for.

No problem :D Really looking forward to seeing more of your game. It seems many of these guys' concern is how much shooting gunplay they'll actually get to do. If there are longer sections of gunplay moments where you can fight cool monsters without interruption they'll be happy. :p

I'd also like to see longer gameplay battle moments as well, especially with the half-breeds, but I also think too much just straight-up shooting, go into cover, then shoot some more for very long periods of time can get very tedious and boring in itself, which is why I could never get into Gears of War. You were basically going into cover and shooting sponges for most of the game. The cutscenes and plot were never interesting to me because they really weren't a huge priority, just a way to advance the player to go shoot more sponges.

If the cinematic aspect of the game is very well done, with good writing and a great story to tell, then it could provide for a very nice experience, which is what I see you guys are trying to achieve, and I think you are doing an excellent job at it. I like that Lycan gameplay/cutscene mix a lot more than that Uncharted 2 intro gameplay/cutscenes mix.

Gameplay-wise, I hope we get to have a longer exhilarating battle with the half-breeds later in the game. :D

Dire

Hahaha.. Well the E3 reveal was about as exciting as one of the most boring youtube clips I found of a guy silently playing some part of game that a lot of people ended up liking. I can't imagine that's what you're going for, but that's the gist I'm getting from your post.

Here's the E3 gameplay reveal for Uncharted 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQlPa_a-_Q8

And The Order's gameplay reveal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPDfD4_rIM

You don't think that's a more reasonable comparison? The Uncharted 2 reveal was also loaded with scripting.

benzy

Hahaha.. Well the E3 reveal was about as exciting as one of the most boring youtube clips I found of a guy silently playing some part of game that a lot of people ended up liking. I can't imagine that's what you're going for, but that's the gist I'm getting from your post.

Here's the E3 gameplay reveal for Uncharted 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQlPa_a-_Q8

And The Order's gameplay reveal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPDfD4_rIM

You don't think that's a more reasonable comparison? The Uncharted 2 reveal was also loaded with scripting.

Your complaints was that the Order is heavily scripted. You just basically argued against yourself at this point, since you've changed your argument from "too scripted" to "scripts are ok as long as they're enjoyable like Uncharted". My point was, scripted games can be fun and entertaining like Uncharted, which it seems you just agreed to?

Originally Posted by Dire
The scene appears heavily scripted. In other words you are shooting at the were-zombie thing but it's impossible to win or otherwise meaningfully change the scene. It's just a sequence where instead of pressing A, you press right trigger.

Originally Posted by Dire
I think a big thing here is that the game is being marketed as a mass market type title - not another Heavy Rain or whatever. It was being pushed as a cover based third person shooter which makes it sound like something like Gears of War - not a QTE game.

Personally I found Lycan scene interesting and not boring in the slightest, from the initial exploration, to the suspense of the supposed zombie eating flesh, to its transformation into the Lycan, the characterization of the Lycan and it's speech, and eventually attempting to get away from the creature. And as we've seen in other demos, there are more actual gameplay moments than Heavy Rain. It was known from the beginning it would be a cinematic shooter, with an emphasis on cinematic.

Dire

Your complaints was that the Order is heavily scripted. You just basically argued against yourself at this point, since you've changed your argument from "too scripted" to "scripts are ok as long as they're enjoyable like Uncharted". My point was, scripted games can be fun and entertaining like Uncharted, which it seems you just agreed to?

Personally I found Lycan scene interesting and not boring in the slightest, from the initial exploration, to the suspense of the supposed zombie eating flesh, to its transformation into the Lycan, the characterization of the Lycan and it's speech, and eventually attempting to get away from the creature. And as we've seen in other demos, there are more actual gameplay moments than Heavy Rain. It was known from the beginning it would be a cinematic shooter, with an emphasis on cinematic.

I never stated "my complaint is the game is too scripted" or anything along those lines at all. That's you randomly straw manning me and taking comments out of their context for no apparent reason. My input was primarily to try to clarify the discord between those that claim the game seems terrible and why people that have been hands-on have been saying otherwise. Both are reasonable and not mutually exclusive points of view. In my opinion it's too early to form an educated opinion either way although I will say that if the devs truly felt this "gameplay trailer" is something that their demographic would find appealing then it's pretty unlikely that this game is for me.

No problem :D Really looking forward to seeing more of your game. It seems many of these guys' concern is how much shooting gunplay they'll actually get to do. If there are longer sections of gunplay moments where you can fight cool monsters without interruption they'll be happy. :p

I'd also like to see longer gameplay battle moments as well, especially with the half-breeds, but I also think too much just straight-up shooting, go into cover, then shoot some more for very long periods of time can get very tedious and boring in itself, which is why I could never get into Gears of War. You were basically going into cover and shooting sponges for most of the game. The cutscenes and plot were never interesting to me because they really weren't a huge priority, just a way to advance the player to go shoot more sponges.

If the cinematic aspect of the game is very well done, with good writing and a great story to tell, then it could provide for a very nice experience, which is what I see you guys are trying to achieve, and I think you are doing an excellent job at it. I like that Lycan gameplay/cutscene mix a lot more than that Uncharted 2 intro gameplay/cutscenes mix.

Gameplay-wise, I hope we get to have a longer exhilarating battle with the half-breeds later in the game. :D

I really hope you don't take me criticizing cutscenes to mean I just want to shoot the whole time, because, at least for me, it's not about that at all. I simply feel that the game should have the player in control for the vast majority of the time. Whether that be exploration, combat, investigation, puzzles, or whatever. And when I say "control," I mean full control, not arbitrarily pressing buttons to interact with cutscenes. The more I'm interrupted from the base control mechanics, the more disconnected I feel from the whole experience. The sense of being in a cohesive game world can be ruined and, most importantly, pacing can become annoyingly start-and-stop. My issue with the footage we've gotten from The Order isn't the lack of shooting gameplay (though i'd love to get an extended look at combat), it's that the balance has felt tipped heavily in a direction I'm not a fan of.

Hmm impressions seem to all be really positive. I wasn't expecting that

The game is looking and plays great. The problem came from the gameplay shown which is not good one to showcase at E3, because the whole gameplay shown at E3 could be made in a cutscene but they wanted to add more interaction instead of making full cutscene like we got in Uncharted 2. What they are doing is great like giving some interaction in cutscenes due to its being realtime rendered instead of pre-rendered. I'm sure every one will like this game when more and full gameplay of a level/section shown instead of like this short one which is meant to provide insight of story/characters.

Oppo

Did you guys really expect any different with nothing but mostly QTE PSP games under their belt??? C'mon.

Did you play those games? The GoW PSP games were great. RoD knows what they're doing.

I am sort of baffled by the ire The Order conjures in discussion, it's very very bizarre.

reKon

Banned
People on GAF loves to make assumptions based on the very little they see or given. You will also find people who will hate on metacritic and reviews in general calling them useless, but then preorder games based on how enjoyable they will think it will be based off what they see prior to the launch day. I will laugh if this game ends up being better than Sunset OD and Drive Club in terms of overall quality and review scores.

Did you play those games? The GoW PSP games were great. RoD knows what they're doing.

I am sort of baffled by the ire The Order conjures in discussion, it's very very bizarre.

Yes, I did, and I loved them. But some posts on here are surprised that there would be QTE??? Really?

bud

At E3 2014 I was given a 10-minute “gameplay” demo, and I’m saying gameplay in quotation marks because out of the 10 minutes I was playing I maybe had approximately 3 minutes of actual playtime. That is playtime in which I was simply taking out enemies, not really using my own brain. Most of the time I am essentially guided like a tutorial to go in a particular direction, even when I am in a closed off room! Seriously.

At one point in the demo I was in a room listening to the other people in my order talk. I could not interact with anything in the room or anyone I am with. Then, suddenly, I am allowed to interact with a piece of parchment. It shows me the direction I need to take to reach my destination, then suddenly (again) I am allowed to interact with a metal object that I wasn’t able to interact with just 30 seconds ago. I had to explode the metal object, which I knew before I was told to do so. My point is—this is by far the most linear game I have ever played. There is hardly any form of freedom in the game; but from what I was told, that is the point.
http://www.nerdacy.com/2014/06/11/t...4-it-is-the-most-linear-game-ive-ever-played/

i love linear games, but everything they've shown and said about the game so far makes it sound like an interactive movie.

ZehDon

I'm glad the game is getting some positive reactions from the show floor. Visually, its amazing, and I love the setting. Having said that, a lot of the reactions still seem peppered with "not a lot of gameplay". I really hope the degree of linearity and non-interactivity we're seeing is due to these segments being early in the game, when its still teaching you how to play. I could stomach that, assuming the game opens up properly later on.

Something I appreciated about Gears, number 2 in particular, was that it used the cinematic scripts to break up the gameplay. 10 minutes of solid gameplay, short 1 minute script, 10 minutes of solid gameplay, short 1 minute script, etc. Epic used the scripted moments to create peaks and valleys in the player's gameplay experience, ensuring it wasn't "balls to the wall" gameplay intensity for the length of the game. You could relax before squeezing the trigger again.

In any case, Sony really need to do better with the marketing on this one I think.

Loudninja

I actually think that is a positive for the pistol.

Ricky_R

I really hope you don't take me criticizing cutscenes to mean I just want to shoot the whole time, because, at least for me, it's not about that at all. I simply feel that the game should have the player in control for the vast majority of the time. Whether that be exploration, combat, investigation, puzzles, or whatever. And when I say "control," I mean full control, not arbitrarily pressing buttons to interact with cutscenes. The more I'm interrupted from the base control mechanics, the more disconnected I feel from the whole experience. The sense of being in a cohesive game world can be ruined and, most importantly, pacing can become annoyingly start-and-stop. My issue with the footage we've gotten from The Order isn't the lack of shooting gameplay (though i'd love to get an extended look at combat), it's that the balance has felt tipped heavily in a direction I'm not a fan of.

I understand your concern, but I'm sure there will be enough fully controlled gameplay segments and slow paced exploration areas. However, RAD is aiming at a combination of moments like some of the ones we've seen, and "traditional" gameplay segments. They've been quite clear about that since the beginning and they even stated that they were using ND games (Uncharted specifically iirc) as inspiration for that very reason. Uncharted games, specially the second one, offer a nice variety of cinematic moments which don't take away from all the gameplay (this is subjective of course), but those moments were few and far between. Maybe not as few and far between in Uncharted 3, but still.

RAD seems to be focusing on a very well paced game that offers a variety of cinematic moments for whatever reason. If there's good balance we can get a pretty awesome game. If you take the lycan reveal for example, according to my assumptions and RAD representatives' explanations in this very thread, you can understand that the purpose of that moment was to reveal the lycan as a completely dominant and fearful creature which Galahad couldn't compete with at that very moment. That sequence could've been cut-scene, but they opted to give us "some" control because that's what the're aiming for with moments like those.

When I saw that lycan sequence, the first thing that came to my mind was the moment when Drake reached Nepal and was knocked over from his jeep by a truck, the following sequence is one very similar to the lycan one. You're holding down the joystick and shooting at the truck while it chases you.

Anyway, you just need to analyze if this game is really for you, because moments like those seem to be quite integral to the whole experience RAD is trying to convey.

Dire

People on GAF loves to make assumptions based on the very little they see or given. You will also find people who will hate on metacritic and reviews in general calling them useless, but then preorder games based on how enjoyable they will think it will be based off what they see prior to the launch day. I will laugh if this game ends up being better than Sunset OD and Drive Club in terms of overall quality and review scores.

Right, it's just insane for people to form an opinion on a game based on the material they're given solely to help them form an opinion on the game.

Top Bottom