• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

I'm going to spend more time with the game today. Sucks I'm sick and a blizzard is making its way into the area. I'll post some very general impressions a bit later. FWIW: I'm over an hr into the game & have yet to earn a trophy.

viveks86

I'm going to spend more time with the game today. Sucks I'm sick and a blizzard is making its way into the area. I'll post some very general impressions a bit later. FWIW: I'm over an hr into the game & have yet to earn a trophy.

Awesome. Looking forward to it

I get what some people say about linear levels vs linear gameplay. Vanquish and Binary Domain are very linear, but offer plenty of tools for open ended gameplay.
I usually prefer those types of games, because experimenting with gameplay and trying to find what strategy solves a certain scenario and finding out new ways to play the game is so much fun. And the idea of popping a game once in a while to see how your way to play a certain game has changed just amuses me.

I love a linear gameplay, as game designers can tailor the experience to be overall very engrossing and unique, but I just don't really feel like playing the game more than once, and then it just collects dust on the corner of shame in me bookcase. As budget got really tight for me, I've been avoiding such games.
I'll make an exception for Order, simply because it is quite unique and it seems like a nice experience to share with family and significant other. I might try to trade it later too if it starts collecting dust, but it is not that easy down here in Brazil, unfortunately =/

Exactly. If there is one thing Grace Chen does well, it's making sure people don't get their shit early
Or on time, sometimes.

I have had enough of these shitty open world games with bad design choices. Ofcourse reviews will bash this game because its not "next gen" enough, but they can't even define what "next gen gameplay" is. I will take a focused game like the order over a open world game ala watch dogs or other badly designed open world games. Give me a focused experience.

I agree with you about the open world game but that's not a reason to be on an other extreme side. The Order doesn't seems like a game with great game design or fresh gameplay but more focused on stories and presentation. That's good for some people but personally, I except better for a nextgen AAA.

Verendus

Banned
Hey! I bought Wolfenstein also, seems like we're doing the exact same thing game wise.
I've got a good series of games lined up too. I intend on playing The Evil Within after Unity, then there's Bloodborne coming soon. More likely, I'll probably end up finishing Unity at my usual snail pace, then it'll be Bloodborne, before I finally get around to The Evil Within, then by that time, there's Mortal Kombat, and even Batman/MGSV after. I'm looking forward to the story mode in MK after the last one, even if it'll mainly be for multiplayer.

It pays sometimes to have a bit of a backlog. I still haven't played Dragon Age or Donkey Kong. I could always buy them if I finish everything (which I won't since I know myself, I think), and am waiting for something else.

Yep Im trying to push through Wolfenstein before Friday. Assuming the game lives up to the impressions so far, Ill be on a streak with good to great games with Evil Within-Wolfenstein-The Order and then Bloodborne.

Schoolwork, meet your match.

iseI5Q3ImTq1s.gif

You lucky dog.
Love that game so much.

AdanVC

Wait what's happening is people playing the game already? Streams? Omggg where can I watch, a link will be much appreciate it.

Tratorn

Rapier's impressions are like a perfect description of a 60-75 meta game nowadays. And I hate that, because this could lead to less games of this nature in the future, just because they don't have the mysterious "next-gen gameplay".

thuway

Rapier's impressions are like a perfect description of a 60-75 meta game nowadays. And I hate that, because this could lead to less games of this nature in the future, just because they don't have "next-gen gameplay".

That's if you are assuming all reviewers have some sort of bias coming in. I am a firm believer in the process. Any person reviewing this game for a living will more than likely judge it for its stregnth and weaknesses. If the story, graphics, narrative, and variety are strong enough - it'll come through.

God damnit I'm watching last week's episode of Walking Dead to take my mind off this game and thread and what do I get but a commercial for The Order

FFS Sony

Rapier's impressions are like a perfect description of a 60-75 meta game nowadays. And I hate that, because this could lead to less games of this nature in the future, just because they don't have the mysterious "next-gen gameplay".
60-75 is too low. The Order 1886 seems like a game that will get a mix of positive and negative reviews, just like Evil Within. It should be able to get a meta score in the range of 75 to 80, not 60-75. That is Lighting Returns and Beyond Two Souls territory.

Hey! You are not the only one :( ;_;
T_T

CCIE

Banned
I'm probably going to get this Day One, but waiting on reviews Thursday morning... I'm close though. I got Knack and Legends to keep me occupied in the meantime this morning.

I buy nothing but digital

God damnit I'm watching last week's episode of Walking Dead to take my mind off this game and thread and what do I get but a commercial for The Order

FFS Sony
Its like at work. I deal with purchase orders and invoices all day. Every hour or so, somebody is like "Shane, wheres the order for this?, wheres the order for that?"..... Orders. Orders everywhere!

Its like at work. I deal with purchase orders and invoices all day. Every hour or so, somebody is like "Shane, wheres the order for this?, wheres the order for that?"..... Orders. Orders everywhere!

LOL. I know right. I just ordered some pizza in while I watch the hockey game and got an email saying my ORDER has been confirmed.

Fuck!!

Theman2k

Well here are my final impressions for the game, i'll review parts of the game in different categories , then the overall experience and summary.
I'll try to sum up everything as much as I can.

Graphics:
Technical marvel. True next-gen experience, on all fronts.
No loading times, super silky smooth frame rate (you all be surprised how smooth it is), no graphic glitches, amazing and consistent art all around.
A lot of times it's hard for you to grasp it's even a game running real time.
Black bars didn't really filled their job.
Making transitions back to gameplay already done better in games like MGS. They downgraded from the experience, from gameplay side and from art side.

Sound:
True 1886 era fitted music, amazing score and theme.
Voice acting is top notch all around.
Were moments I was surprised the developers added some of the sounds you usually don't hear while interacting with the environment.
The theme really works and sticks with you, other times though really good music kicks in but can be forgettable easily.

Menu and UI:
Menu is on the light side, something I like.
It's easy to navigate, and to understand and looks good.
Only thing that comes to mind on the bad side, is the weapon selection UI.
It's too big and centered in the middle of the screen, not very good while action is going.
No option to change button layouts is a big negative.

Pacing and story:
Starts really slow, the intro stays it's welcome way too much.
And on top of bad paced intro, it comes instead of good exposition that I felt lacking most of the game.
The story starts to pick up from late middle of the game, but when it does it grabs you so hard it makes you want to continue playing nonstop. Really emotional and good, something a lot of games having hard time to achieve.
Characters are really believable and make strong impact.
Sometimes the story kicks you to some places, which you wander what happened between the last cut scene to the next. I felt out of place when it happened, it felt unnatural to the flow of the game.
Sadly the game ends way too quick after the story really shines and makes you feel you deserved more.

Gameplay:
Odd design and gameplay decisions plague this game.
Basic cover and stealth mechanics makes a solid shooting encounters.
It also fails to explain in depth cover mechanics like camera bias (which is off by default) and corner cover switching, taking into account the game has a very long intro to introduce them.
You actually use some of the weapons once or twice the entire game. Made me wish I could use them more in the first time playing.
Setting up encounters in terms of level design and weapon placement can be better.
It's on par with KillZone SF right now.
QTE's in the game strike me as a failure from the gameplay design aspect for making better shooting encounters and "boos battles". Like Far Cry 3.

Overall:
Game is AAA with high production values, I don't think the negative outweighs the positive.
In a sense it's more of a journey, a really good and polished one we must endure till a sequel that will make good on gameplay without any black bars.
Is it worth the price of admission now? Yes.
There's nothing else like it on the market now, the wow factor is really big.
And if we put aside the wow factor, it's still a good polished story driven game with production values trough the roof.
Granted if you played uncharted or gears, there's a lot of room this game doesn't deliver, but overall it's something you can't allow yourself not to experience.

The order 1886, is really a new mascot for SONY. Just not too shiny.

Gestault

Gameplay:

Setting up encounters in terms of level design and weapon placement can be better.
It's on par with KillZone SF right now.

I hope this is overstated. I had a low opinion of Shadowfall's campaign.

(I'm really happy to hear about the quality of the music and VO.)

Sadly the game ends way too quick after the story really shines and makes you feel you deserved more.
Man I swear if they ending is a cliffhanger........

But needing more from the story and the game world shouldn't come off as surprising as the devs have big plans for the franchise so hopefully the game is a success for them in order to greenlight a sequel.

iseI5Q3ImTq1s.gif

You lucky dog.
Love that game so much.

Same here. Game is amazing. Sometimes really hard on Uber, but worth it.
I still need to finish the last chapter (i think it's the last anyway).

best FPS i've played in a long long time.

edit: Sorry for offtopic, but Gaf recommended me Wolfenstein and now i'm recommending it to the rest of Gaff who hasn't allready played it.

Verendus

Banned
This is bad news.
Read it in the context of his overall impressions. He's commenting on gameplay specifically, and for all you know, he probably thinks Shadow Fall is somewhat solid in that aspect whilst a bit sloppy. I'd never think to make that comparison since it seems quite strange to try and compare an FPS to a TPS, but Shadow Fall is near the bottom for me in terms of games I've played on current gen, whilst The Order is right at the top. I also don't really like FPS though.

He also says this:
Game is AAA with high production values, I don't think the negative outweighs the positive.
There's nothing else like it on the market now, the wow factor is really big.
And if we put aside the wow factor, it's still a good polished story driven game with production values trough the roof.
Granted if you played uncharted or gears, there's a lot of room this game doesn't deliver, but overall it's something you can't allow yourself not to experience.

iseI5Q3ImTq1s.gif

You lucky dog.
Love that game so much.
Cracks me up. I literally just got to this scene :)

Wait. Did people think the gameplay in KZ:SF was bad? I remember the game being mediocre story-wise, but I remember thinking gunplay actually being pretty decent. I could be misremembering though since it was my very first game on the console...I'd need to hear more from Theman2k on that.

Guys, don't take the KZ: SF comment too seriously.

It's one person's opinion and they are two different genres (FPS and TPS).

(For the record, I actually enjoyed SF campaign anyway)

It also sounds like he is comparing specific aspects of the game to KZ, not the campaign as a whole. Read: level design and weapon placement

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This is bad news.

You heard it here first. From one fucking guy. Jesus Christ...

Edit:
Guys, don't take the KZ: SF comment too seriously.

It's one person's opinion and they are two different genres (FPS and TPS).

(For the record, I actually enjoyed SF campaign anyway)

I thought KZ:SF's gameplay was fine but the story and the pacing of the campaign I didn't like so much. The comparison is strange and inconsiquential to me.

wotter

Lol, I also finished Wolfenstein a couple of days ago, I'm now trying for the Platinum before the Order arrives ^^

Game is great btw

Theman2k

Read it in the context of his overall impressions. He's commenting on gameplay specifically, and for all you know, he probably thinks Shadow Fall is somewhat solid in that aspect. I'd never think to make that comparison since it seems quite strange to try and compare an FPS to a TPS, but Shadow Fall is near the bottom for me in terms of games I've played on current gen, whilst The Order is right at the top. I also don't really like FPS though.

I wasn't clear enough.
Not the entire gameplay aspect is on par with killzone.
Only the encounters in terms of level design and weapon placement.
Everything else with the order gameplay was solid.

Calcium

Banned
This is bad news.

Personally I can forgive mediocre gameplay if the story is compelling enough. Unfortunately for Killzone: Shadowfall I couldn't remember anything that happened in that game if my life depended on it. The KZ comparison doesn't worry me at all.

jaaz

I wasn't clear enough.
Not the entire gameplay aspect is on par with killzone.
Only the encounters in terms of level design and weapon placement.
Everything else with the order gameplay was solid.

Really appreciate your early review, but I have to admit Killzone:SF was the last game I expected a comparison to, even based only on "level design" and "weapon placement". It's just such a completely different game. But then again I haven't played The Order like you did...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom