• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally finished.

Going to try to do this without saying anything at all about the graphics.

As I stated originally the game starts off slowly with a deliberate pacing building the characters story and atmosphere. After about 5 hours in the story becomes very tight but you are asked to read between the lines on a few issues which I will not spoil here. Following context clues makes some of them pretty blatant others a bit more elusive. It is all tied together very nicely.

Level design is good, not excellent but good there are often multiple ways to dispatch enemies besides hiding behind cover and playing whack a mole. I like to try different approaches to combat in every game I play and can make combat in Infamous Second Son look like a choreographed fight in a film.

Some of the things you can do in the Order when you put some thought into it are pretty amazing. They just require a bit of creative timing with Blacksight and the various weapons at your disposal. I do feel like something is missing from combat options but I cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is. I never had a problem with the cover system and was at times impressed (annoyed heavily at one point) with the enemy AI.

The Order is going to be my new go to score and there is one track in particular that hits at just the right moment and adds an extra layer of drama to the already intense scene. The music never felt out of place but what stood out to me just as much as the music was the ambient sounds. Some of them are so good I would suggest standing still and just listening to the world around you.

There were a few QTE in the game that I felt were out of place outside of those few incidents the pacing and placement of them was fine. The game gets better as you go on and in my opinion ends on a very high note but I must admit it has left me wanting more. I would suggest playing with aim assist off, camera bias on and hard difficulty.

I will give the game another play through at a much slower pace but if I had to say yes or no to buying this game day one, I would say this is definitely a day one game.

I think the game is more akin to TLOU in pacing than Gears which is a good thing in my opinion and after completion I would still say this is my favorite new IP so far this generation.

First play through score 9/10

Edited to add:

My wife watched me play this entire game from beginning to end, the last game she watched me play from beginning to end was TLOU.

Very nice. Pacing like TLOU can't hurt.

blacklotus

DE8Go7D.png

Back in Lisbon i told him Gaf was mostly raging with positive hype, especially after the italian video and the reload gif.
He laughed and mentioned how hard it was to get registered there. I told him it's to keep the content good to which he replied "to stop the shit posting".

The man rules. Pesino smash!

Finally finished.

As I stated originally the game starts off slowly with a deliberate pacing building the characters story and atmosphere. After about 5 hours in the story becomes very tight but you are asked to read between the lines on a few issues which I will not spoil here. Following context clues makes some of them pretty blatant others a bit more elusive. It is all tied together very nicely.

Level design is good, not excellent but good there are often multiple ways to dispatch enemies besides hiding behind cover and playing whack a mole. I like to try different approaches to combat in every game I play and can make combat in Infamous Second Son look like a choreographed fight in a film.

Some of the things you can do in the Order when you put some thought into it are pretty amazing. They just require a bit of creative timing with Blacksight and the various weapons at your disposal. I do feel like something is missing from combat options but I cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is. I never had a problem with the cover system and was at times impressed (annoyed heavily at one point) with the enemy AI.

The Order is going to be my new go to score and there is one track in particular that hits at just the right moment and adds an extra layer of drama to the already intense scene. The music never felt out of place but what stood out to me just as much as the music was the ambient sounds. Some of them are so good I would suggest standing still and just listening to the world around you.

There were a few QTE in the game that I felt were out of place outside of those few incidents the pacing and placement of them was fine. The game gets better as you go on and in my opinion ends on a very high note but I must admit it has left me wanting more. I would suggest playing with aim assist off, camera bias on and hard difficulty.

I will give the game another play through at a much slower pace but if I had to say yes or no to buying this game day one, I would say this is definitely a day one game.

I think the game is more akin to TLOU in pacing than Gears which is a good thing in my opinion and after completion I would still say this is my favorite new IP so far this generation.

Edited to add:

My wife watched me play this entire game from beginning to end, the last game she watched me play from beginning to end was TLOU.
THanx!
Pesino smash!
Haha.

Lingitiz

Finally finished.

Edited to add:

In terms of the combat, do the levels ever open up at all into more bowl/arena-like areas as in Gears? Are there environmental hazards and things like that? Just curious what you mean by multiple options in taking out enemies.

How's the pacing and variety? There's a few minigames like lockpicking...are there more of those and how often are they used?

viveks86

Find yourself an Allagash Curieux, a good beer store or beer bar will have it. Belgian tripel brewed in Maine and aged in bourbon barrels. Spectacular beer. Cheers!

Pretty stranded here for the next 2 days. They expect a complete white out tomorrow. Think it's just gonna be warm weekend indoors, watching movies, gaffing and sipping on scotch. Should be back here in 2 weeks. Will check it out then. Thanks!

Someone else has finished the game

Cross posting from the Spoiler thread (so be warned following the quote will take you there)

Beat the game today.
Armoury in pause menu didn't unlock.
What's up with that thing ?
I thought it would open after beating the game, but it did not =(

btw I liked the game very much. A new strong IP for Sony I hope :)

viveks86

Btw, what the fuck happened here? All the final impressions sound fantastic! What is everyone still losing their shit over? The killzone comparison? Thought that was clarified?

VinFTW

Btw, what the fuck happened here? All the final impressions sound fantastic! What is everyone still losing their shit over? The killzone comparison? Thought that was clarified?

Haven't seen anyone lose their shit for a couple pages now?

Where are you looking at...

Back in Lisbon i told him Gaf was mostly raging with positive hype, especially after the italian video and the reload gif.
He laughed and mentioned how hard it was to get registered there. I told him it's to keep the content good to which he replied "to stop the shit posting".

The man rules. Pesino smash!

The mods can help pessino get a account right? Or do they follow the same rules as everyone else?

farisr

The mods can help pessino get a account right? Or do they follow the same rules as everyone else?

I have a vague recollection of them helping someone get it in the past, but my memory is fuzzy, could be wrong. One would think there'd be a way. Especially for people in the game industry.

AsfaeksBR

Finally finished.

Edited to add:

Just look at what you made me do...

Finally finished.

Edited to add:

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm hoping my copy will arrive on Monday, but I think that's pretty optimistic.

Nearly 4600 posts

And all because of screengrabs. lol

God help the internet when reviews hit, Then again i'll be too busy playing the game and will check the meltdown after i am done with it.

I keep telling myself to stay out of this thread cause the wait is killing me. Our site never received a review copy like we were supposed to so we're in limbo and it sucks because I was supposed to cover it. Bummmer. On the other hand. I've had the premium edition reserved since December so Friday needs to hurry the hell up.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nearly 4600 posts

God help the internet when reviews hit, Then again i'll be too busy playing the game and will check the meltdown after i am done with it.
Conversation veered so far off from the original screengrabs that the thread deserves it's own title. The Order 1886:The Pre-OT.

GobFather

Finally finished.

Edited to add:

this is VERY helpful!!! Thank you!!! Now to convince the gf ...

farisr

Nearly 4600 posts

Well I'd say about a 1000 of the posts were actually about screengrabs (which is still a lot), but this basically became an impressions/gameplay discussion thread due to the street date being broken.

proXimiX

Neo Member
Does anyone know if this game is going to have a sound setting/pack for the Gold headset?
I asked a couple days ago in this thread and someone said they thought there was one being made because of how much time is being put into the sound, but I haven't seen any official word or rumor besides that.

Slixshot

Banned
Finally finished.

Edited to add:

Bro! Thank you :)

Also, question:
NG+ or any reason to replay?

SDCowboy

I asked a couple days ago in this thread and someone said they thought there was one being made because of how much time is being put into the sound, but I haven't seen any official word or rumor besides that.

Hmm, well if there is, I hope it's available at launch. Doesn't do me much good if it comes out after I beat it. :p

Any recommendations on what difficulty to start the game at. Is it like the Last of Us which benefits from an increase in difficulty from the start or should I just experience the story before adding to the difficulty?

This could be the next Sony big franchise, ala Uncharted. An original installment with insane production values offering a solid, tight experience, despite the flaws inherent to a first venture in the category; and then a second one, that takes it to the next level.
Do not care one iota about reviews, especially after the DriveClub episode (What a travesty!).
I hope The Order succeeds, because I like the lore, the setting and the possibilities relating to different contexts and characters. I hope it does well enough to have the sequel green-lit...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Character models in this game are the first real CG level characters I've seen.

At least, on console.

A lot of that has to do with more advanced shaders and textures than anything else...if we're talking actual CG level character models like Agni and The old guy from Dark Sorcerer, they are like a million polygon's a piece, but none of the order characters are above 120,000 at maximum LOD(i don't know if there are varying LOD's in this game)

Its the same trick/technique Ryse uses. They can't brute force the render budget anywhere near that amount, so they use more advanced shaders and textures to create the CGI-like look. And so, even though Marius is only 85,000, he still looks CGI level

Any recommendations on what difficulty to start the game at. Is it like the Last of Us which benefits from an increase in difficulty from the start or should I just experience the story before adding to the difficulty?

beating on normal felt a bit too easy for me personally. that said I play shooters a lot so it might be me. I would recommend hard with aim assist ON for the first time just to feel the game right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom