• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks like he snaps his leg and beats the shit out of him to me. Good stuff.
Made a gif of the version from the trailer.
ozciom.gif

Not really feeling that impact. Seems that they added more camera movement to make it more impactful, can't really tell because the gif you posted had a pretty low framerate, (I know, not because of the game), so it's likely that it looks better now.

tbf though everyone who has posted their impressions have all like the game. Sure they have certain issues,varying it seems. But overall I think the game will be good.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Early impressions are fine, just don't tell people to "go buy this game nao" after a short amount of time with the game.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think people need to be more accepting of skepticism and slightly less positive impressions.

People work hard for their money, some of us just want to be sure and some people want to respond to eeeevery bit of skepticism like we're being ridiculous for making sure it's worth $60.

I get you, brother. I do. I bought my copy partly on store credit. Lol

But a game is a game is a game is a game. And this one will not sour you. It's something you'll want to keep.

Take this as you will:

My dad loathes games. Especially when someone forces him to watch them play. He's never sat through me playing Uncharted or God Of War for more than 5 minutes at a time.

He hasn't stopped watching me play bits of the Order. Keeps asking me when I'm gonna play some more of that game.

That's how finely crafted this game is.

I've given you all honest to goodness impressions. My gripes are personal. They'll likely only apply to a fraction of you. Knowing GAF, you're all gonna bathe in the blood of the review thread and make up your mind later on.

But I'll say this again. DRIVECLUB was one of these lovingly crafted games. And it took months of price cuts and deals for people to start trickling in realizing why the game was so good. Reviews and fanboy bullshit be damned.

Y'all don't know what the fuck you want.

Ask for impressions, I give you real, accurate, impressions.

Don't like them.

"Stop giving us incomplete impressions."

THAT'S WHAT THE FUCK IMPRESSIONS ARE.

Ive read your impressions, let me thank you in the name of everyone, so far I think its the most accurate impressions, dont listen to all the bad comments, as you've said, people dont know what they want.

Keep up the good work =)

Oh btw, Is ammo low or abundant through out the game ?! Whats ur favorite weapon ?! Do we fight loads of lycans or mostly humans ?

Mr Moose

But a game is a game is a game is a game. And this one will not sour you. It's something you'll want to keep.

Take this as you will:

My dad loathes games. Especially when someone forces him to watch them play. He's never sat through me playing Uncharted or God Of War for more than 5 minutes at a time.

He hasn't stopped watching me play bits of the Order. Keeps asking me when I'm gonna play some more of that game.

I've given you all honest to goodness impressions. My gripes are personal. They'll likely only apply to a fraction of you. Knowing GAF, you're all gonna bathe in the blood of the review thread and make up your mind later on.

But I'll say this again. DRIVECLUB was one of these lovingly crafted games. And it took months of price cuts and deals for people to start trickling in realizing why the game was so good. Reviews and fanboy bullshit be damned.

Good shit. Can't wait. Why can't it be Friday now? :<

arevin01

Not sure why they have to cut to this camera angle when it breaks part of the immersion, RAD needs to learn as hard as it gets, never cut to a different camera because you're breaking that immersion factor, you can pan slightly to either side, zoom out a bit, but don't break the camera flow. The animation is good, but player control should always be a priority above all else.

There's nothing to learn really, RAD has clearly stated they want a cinematic feel and that's what the angle provides. Asking them to change that is asking them to change the entire game.

Not sure why they have to cut to this camera angle when it breaks part of the immersion, RAD needs to learn as hard as it gets, never cut to a different camera because you're breaking that immersion factor, you can pan slightly to either side, zoom out a bit, but don't break the camera flow. The animation is good, but player control should always be a priority above all else.

You're speaking in terms of a normal game, though. RAD has said they want to create a "cinematic" look like films have, and that includes lots of camera cuts.

Whether or not that design decision will pay off, I don't know. But they achieved what they wanted.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Ive read your impressions, let me thank you in the name of everyone, so far I think its the most accurate impressions, dont listen to all the bad comments, as you've said, people dont know what they want.

Keep up the good work =)

Oh btw, Is ammo low or abundant through out the game ?! Whats ur favorite weapon ?!

No problem. :)

Tough to say. That arc gun is something else. But some of the semi auto pistols let you fire off as fast as your trigger finger allows, and that feels damn good too. The hand cannon revolvers are equally badass. The carbines are super accurate and punchy, with that satisfying CLINK! Like the M1 garand.

So far, I think its the standard issue rifle equipped with the pressurized canister that I most fond of.

I can definitely see myself blasting through this game over and over just for the encounters. But just like Infamous Second Son, the scarcity of truly consequential collectibles is kind of a bummer for that.

No problem. :)

Tough to say. That arc gun is something else. But some of the semi auto pistols let you fire off as fast as your trigger finger allows, and that feels damn good too. The hand cannon revolvers are equally badass. The carbines are super accurate and punchy, with that satisfying CLINK! Like the M1 garand.

So far, I think its the standard issue rifle equipped with the pressurized canister that I most fond of.

I can definitely see myself blasting through this game over and over just for the encounters. But just like Infamous Second Son, the scarcity of truly consequential collectibles is kind of a bummer for that.

how many weapons are there? is the game even scary?

BiGBoSSMk23

how many weapons are there? is the game even scary?

Oh there's quite a few weapons. Theres a variety of pistols, carbines, automatic rifles and heavy weapons.

The game is very eerie. I wouldn't say frightening. But the atmosphere will give you a nice chill down your spine in a few sections.

VinFTW

Take this as you will:

That's so awesome to hear. I love when I can get my mom, dad, GF, etc to get interested in games for more than just the "vidya gamez" charm (like story, graphics, art, music, etc).

Also, I really need to pick up DC.

Verendus

Banned
do you know if he liked it?
Never said. Probably under NDA.
lol NDA

I don't think there's much point in giving my impressions about a game because of various reasons. Especially when it's one that's not out, and since some people will obviously take that in a direction I wouldn't want.

For what it's worth though:

Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Gears of War > The Order: 1886 > Max Payne 3 > Vanquish > Gears of War 2 > Uncharted

All TPS games that I completed in recent years, and liked very much. That's how I'd rank my enjoyment of them. Beyond a certain point, impressions become about taste. I think there's plenty of information out there about The Order: 1886, not to mention the videos, for people to make their decision as to whether they should buy it or not. If you're really not convinced, then it's never hurt to wait. People know their own tastes, so for the most part, they should be able to determine what matters to them.

lol NDA

I don't think there's much point in giving my impressions about a game because of various reasons. Especially when it's one that's not out, and since some people will obviously take that in a direction I wouldn't want.

Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Gears of War > The Order: 1886 > Max Payne 3 > Vanquish > Gears of War 2 > Uncharted

All TPS games that I completed in recent years, and liked very much. That's how I'd rank my enjoyment of them. Beyond a certain point, impressions become about taste. I think there's plenty of information out there about The Order: 1886, not to mention the videos, for people to make their decision as to whether they should buy it or not. If you're really not convinced, then it's never hurt to wait. People know their own tastes, so for the most part, they should be able to determine what matters to them.
Vanquish is way too low.
Opinion invalidated.

ironcreed

Banned
lol NDA

Thanks for the serious response. In other words, it's in good company.

lol NDA

Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Gears of War > The Order: 1886 > Max Payne 3 > Vanquish > Gears of War 2 > Uncharted >

Thanks.

I thought since you had it so early you were givin an early copy and was under NDA or something. Your reasoning for not giving impressions is sound.

I have it preordered from best buy online but i'm worried it won't get here on Friday and will get here on Monday. UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday so i don't know.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Finally finished.

Going to try to do this without saying anything at all about the graphics.

As I stated originally the game starts off slowly with a deliberate pacing building the characters story and atmosphere. After about 5 hours in the story becomes very tight but you are asked to read between the lines on a few issues which I will not spoil here. Following context clues makes some of them pretty blatant others a bit more elusive. It is all tied together very nicely.

Level design is good, not excellent but good there are often multiple ways to dispatch enemies besides hiding behind cover and playing whack a mole. I like to try different approaches to combat in every game I play and can make combat in Infamous Second Son look like a choreographed fight in a film.

Some of the things you can do in the Order when you put some thought into it are pretty amazing. They just require a bit of creative timing with Blacksight and the various weapons at your disposal. I do feel like something is missing from combat options but I cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is. I never had a problem with the cover system and was at times impressed (annoyed heavily at one point) with the enemy AI.

The Order is going to be my new go to score and there is one track in particular that hits at just the right moment and adds an extra layer of drama to the already intense scene. The music never felt out of place but what stood out to me just as much as the music was the ambient sounds. Some of them are so good I would suggest standing still and just listening to the world around you.

There were a few QTE in the game that I felt were out of place outside of those few incidents the pacing and placement of them was fine. The game gets better as you go on and in my opinion ends on a very high note but I must admit it has left me wanting more. I would suggest playing with aim assist off, camera bias on and hard difficulty.

I will give the game another play through at a much slower pace but if I had to say yes or no to buying this game day one, I would say this is definitely a day one game.

I think the game is more akin to TLOU in pacing than Gears which is a good thing in my opinion and after completion I would still say this is my favorite new IP so far this generation.

First play through score 9/10

Edited to add:

My wife watched me play this entire game from beginning to end, the last game she watched me play from beginning to end was TLOU.

ironcreed

Banned
Character models in this game are the first real CG level characters I've seen.

At least, on console.

The level of detail on the whole is just nuts. I was watching a stream earlier and was just in awe. It is easily the best looking game I have ever seen and that is not hyperbole by any stretch.

Finally finished.

Going to try to do this without saying anything at all about the graphics.

As I stated originally the game starts off slowly with a deliberate pacing building the characters story and atmosphere. After about 5 hours in the story becomes very tight but you are asked to read between the lines on a few issues which I will not spoil here. Following context clues makes some of them pretty blatant others a bit more elusive. It is all tied together very nicely.

Level design is good, not excellent but good there are often multiple ways to dispatch enemies besides hiding behind cover and playing whack a mole. I like to try different approaches to combat in every game I play and can make combat in Infamous Second Son look like a choreographed fight in a film.

Some of the things you can do in the Order when you put some thought into it are pretty amazing. They just require a bit of creative timing with Blacksight and the various weapons at your disposal. I do feel like something is missing from combat options but I cannot quite put my finger on exactly what it is. I never had a problem with the cover system and was at times impressed (annoyed heavily at one point) with the enemy AI.

The Order is going to be my new go to score and there is one track in particular that hits at just the right moment and adds an extra layer of drama to the already intense scene. The music never felt out of place but what stood out to me just as much as the music was the ambient sounds. Some of them are so good I would suggest standing still and just listening to the world around you.

There were a few QTE in the game that I felt were out of place outside of those few incidents the pacing and placement of them was fine. The game gets better as you go on and in my opinion ends on a very high note but I must admit it has left me wanting more. I would suggest playing with aim assist off, camera bias on and hard difficulty.

I will give the game another play through at a much slower pace but if I had to say yes or no to buying this game day one, I would say this is definitely a day one game.

I think the game is more akin to TLOU in pacing than Gears which is a good thing in my opinion and after completion I would still say this is my favorite new IP so far this generation.

First play through score 9/10

Edited to add:

My wife watched me play this entire game from beginning to end, the last game she watched me play from beginning to end was TLOU.

thanks, do you know who voices Galahad?

To those that have played through the game. Are there any big set piece moments as seen in games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider & Dead Space or is the game more in line with TLOU?

I'm hoping they've kept them hidden but that there are epic set pieces in there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This game is mature.

Possible spoiler?
Bruuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For those who don't know and feel that it's a character death spoiler, that's a game over scene that plays at some point during the game, not an actual character death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom