• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 has gone gold

Endo Punk

I really want The Order to do well critically, just for the premise and characters alone. I might not be there day 1 but its definitely an IP I want to support down the line.

Unfortunately the PR put me off more than any preview piece, sorry but when you have your head of game shrug off gameplay as something you can't get around(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826123) it makes it hard to support them, at least for now.

Firm believer in speaking with my wallet and I make sure not to support pr that either considers gameplay a means to an end or pr that insults the gaming community or fanbase. Basically just pr that instead of selling me on the game, it's putting me off.

I don't want to rain on the parade for people who are excited so let the hype go forth.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really want The Order to do well critically, just for the premise and characters alone. I might not be there day 1 but its definitely an IP I want to support down the line.

Unfortunately the PR put me off more than any preview piece, sorry but when you have your head of game shrug off gameplay as something you can't get around(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826123) it makes it hard to support them, at least for now.

Firm believer in speaking with my wallet and I make sure not to support pr that either considers gameplay a means to an end or pr that insults the gaming community or fanbase. Basically just pr that instead of selling me on the game, it's putting me off.

I don't want to rain on the parade for people who are excited so let the hype go forth.
How can people still be upset about that quote when at this point we've seen some really polished shooting mechanics? While it was a horrendously worded statement, they've shown that the meat of a shooter isn't being ignored.

DevilFox

Can't believe someone is still bringing that up. Can't believe someone is still reading that wrong, either.
Gameplay first -> tons of ideas, crazy weapons, powers, everything. Good luck to write a story that can fit all of it and make sense.
Story first -> lore, rules, characters etc are written. To build a gameplay that's consistent with that world will be a lot easier.
We can't get around the gameplay -> obviously, it's a game. This is what I read back then, I don't see how people could read "too bad we're working for PlayStation and not for Sony Pictures LOL", this is almost prejudice to its top.

Wow.

I hadn't read that.

Well I know that the game is exactly what I thought it was going to be.

Its been said again and again, that quote is taken out of context and misinterpreted. He isn't shrugging off gameplay saying "we wish we didn't have to include it but we're a video game so we cant get around it." in the interview they're talking about how they are putting extra care and importance into the story unlike many other games and hes basically saying "We're a videogame developer we know what we're doing when it comes to gameplay. But for this game we're putting a lot of work into the story." As he says in the same article, what he means is they start with a story which is at the top, which they then build the gameplay and other features to fit the story.

Also people really need to stop tearing apart and analysing devs words like they are a robot speaking factual precisely worded details. Its a normal human conversation, things aren't going to be worded as PR and there will be slips.

farmerboy

I think you've read it wrong, does the dev in question even have english as his first language? I never took it like that.

Lucky its an ip you can support down the line.

Question is, will you ever get over this one quote? Come on man, learn to trust again. You can do it.

As he says in the same article, what he means is they start with a story which is at the top, which they then build the gameplay and other features to fit the story.

This.

In a separate article (Verge), this was mentioned as well :

And that's because all of the weapons and gadgets began life with a simple question: "Would you believe it?" Just like the city, the design process for weapons and gadgets started with research, in an attempt to figure out what tech was plausible for this time in this alternate world. From there it was just a matter of feel: if a gun felt out of place, they got rid of it, so that it didn't ruin the illusion of realism. One early design was a weapon featuring spinning blades. While it would've been fun to play with, it was too outlandish to actually be a real thing, so it was scrapped.

viveks86

Guys, Ru is still hinting that there are other half breeds that aren't werewolves. I quote:

"The half breeds are humans that have evolved to becoming somewhat more bestial. This particular one (shows screenshot) is the lycan/the werewolf basically"

You guys see this yet?

qwtKO9O.jpg

Jigolo

Thanks for the link.

At the 06:27 mark he is talking about the London screenshot and he said that in order to rebuild London as it was in 1886 they took photos and video from the whole city.

Wow. That is a lot of work for a non open world game that will probably only use some areas of the whole city.

london1886b7ovm.png

Downgrade. Downgrade. Downgrade.

Game looks like 480p now, wow. These "next gen" consoles are so underpowered.

It was released a few days ago as part of their ARG site. There's quite a bit of stuff being release there. Check it out:
http://theorderexposed.com

Was on the website "theorderexposed.com" shown at the end of the clip last week. I'm happy Playstation put it on their channel because it is really well done!
Thanks for sharing! It looks really nice and well-made. It's good to see that Sony are putting a lot of work into this game :)

Downgrade. Downgrade. Downgrade.

Game looks like 480p now, wow. These "next gen" consoles are so underpowered.
image.php

You can't tell lie when wearing a mustache ;)

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think you should say that in public.

Haha, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Consider it another way. I basically play games like Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us (any title with self-evidently brilliant artistic direction) as if they're a virtual art gallery.

Every texture is poured over. I literally will check every scrap of writing on throwaway newspaper textures, every thing pinned to a brown board, on the walls. Will analyze every in-game painting, poster, document.

There was this one oak or cherry wood staircase in Bioshock Infinite which had the light filtering in and was just absolutely astonishing in effect. I stayed there gawping at it for a good fifteen minutes. It's a bit OCD I'll admit, but I really admire the effort that goes into designing the art and lovingly crafted textures.

Yeah this still astounds me. I still cannot fathom how that is possible. How long did you take to beat the remaster if you did purchase it?

The remaster didn't take me long, only because I had already taken my virtual tour of the main gallery. I still stuck around at many points, but I beat it in under 25. What really extended my playtime was Left Behind, since I had not played that before the remaster. Just joyfully rendered game worlds, it leaves me speechless at points in terms of the sheer effort involved.

The remaster didn't take me long, only because I had already taken my virtual tour of the main gallery. I still stuck around at many points, but I beat it in under 25. What really extended my playtime was Left Behind, since I had not played that before the remaster. Just joyfully rendered game worlds, it leaves me speechless at points in terms of the sheer effort involved.
My playthrough of TLoU remastered took about 35 hours because of photomode. I have like 400 screens.

Iknow I'll play through The Order again when they release the photomode. It will probably take forever with this game, I can see it being a ton of fun capturing some gory screens.

Guys, Ru is still hinting that there are other half breeds that aren't werewolves. I quote:

"The half breeds are humans that have evolved to becoming somewhat more bestial. This particular one (shows screenshot) is the lycan/the werewolf basically"
What else could there be? Vampires?

I'm still wondering if we will see Jack the Ripper or Jekyll and Hyde?

Cream

Banned
So I'm going into this super blind. All I know is there are werewolves, and the only thing I've seen is that one London screenshot

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is this poster official or fan-made? It looks gross imo, but really fits The Order. Stuff like this makes me even more curious about this game.

I like this kind of stuff.

I went digital. I'm hoping they cover more of the medical side of things. I like it when the game goes deeper into how they treated patients.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Could he just be referring to different types of Lycans? We know there's elder lycans as well as the standard ones.

ironcreed

Banned
Thanks for the link.

At the 06:27 mark he is talking about the London screenshot and he said that in order to rebuild London as it was in 1886 they took photos and video from the whole city.

Wow. That is a lot of work for a non open world game that will probably only use some areas of the whole city.

london1886b7ovm.png

Even the light reflecting off of the windows looks real. Seriously impressive stuff and easily the nicest looking game this gen so far. Cannot wait to be gobsmacked.

viveks86

Could he just be referring to different types of Lycans? We know there's elder lycans as well as the standard ones.

But he didn't talk about the elders at all. He just said this particular one is the lycan, as if there are others. Or may be other half breeds exist in the lore and the first game is focused on lycans? I don't know.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
But he didn't talk about the elders at all. He just said this particular one is the lycan, as if there are others. Or may be other half breeds exist in the lore and the first game is focused on lycans? I don't know.

The leaked trophies didn't mention any other types, unless they weren't revealed on purpose.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It would be cool if there's multiple Orders, each one dedicated to fighting a specific type of half-breed.

It is pretty obvious to me that they are saving other type of creatures for the inevitable sequel. Remember, The Order was always going to be a trilogy of games.

Top Bottom