• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 has gone gold

I think it's somewhat hilarious that some press are somehow aren't able to wrap their heads around The Order as a concept. In that adding layers of different gameplay, gimmicks, or pace-breakers into a third-person shooter somehow makes it not-a-shooter, but a hodgepodge of QTEs and something without an identity.

I feel like this quote about The Order, from Polygon, is one of the best descriptions regarding the game.

it's a combination of a lot of things.

obviously the games media will be docking points for "last gen gameplay, i already played this, i don't understand what it's trying to be" bullshit but hey, what are we gonna do? gta has always been largely the same and gunplay is still clunky but it's such a perfect 10 hurr durr.

i can live with the games media reviews because that's their opinions. what i don't like is that they influence purchasing decisions and power of consumers.

When are the reviews expected? I hope they are not after the release.

I just want the game to be 12-16 hours on hard difficulty and I am in. Love what I have seen so far. I know game will be bashed for a lot of silly things, but as long it is a solid TPS with a good to great story, I don't care about any other stuff.

I believe with this game's visuals, they have achieved CG level graphics in-game. Its simply gorgeous.

Hellshy.

obviously the games media will be docking points for "last gen gameplay, i already played this, i don't understand what it's trying to be" bullshit but hey, what are we gonna do? gta has always been largely the same and gunplay is still clunky but it's such a perfect 10 hurr durr.

i can live with the games media reviews because that's their opinions. what i don't like is that they influence purchasing decisions and power of consumers.

I honestly feel the stronger social media grows the less we get to actually see their real opinions and the more we see of what they think gamers want to hear as well as what is trending. Obviously this doesn't apply to all reviewers and even some may not be aware they are doing it but I do think plenty are worried to go against the popular public perception of a game. It is just speculation but I cant help but feel like many just go with the tide and when a game is looking good in the eyes of gamers it affects the reviews to various different degrees.

farmerboy

Seriously, apart from me agreeing with your quote, I'm here just to say, your avatar has the most delicious implementation of a curly moustache in this thread. I think you should consider keeping it.

On topic, this bullshit about "next gen gameplay" "last gen gameplay" has me really bothered. Instead of finding real things to critique a game on, this bullshit just feels so arbitrary and lazy on reviewers part. It's bullshit because it's really the reviewer projecting what they want the game to be, instead of them critiquing what's there.

So to further your point, GTA gets a pass but others don't because they don't fit the mould of what others think a game should be.

Why can't we just enjoy the really good examples of each genre and sub genre instead of just wanting every game to be the same.

I know it'll detract from the 'cinematic camera', but if it was me, I'd at least shift the camera to something that's back in a more gameplay camera feel, ( pan-out with Galahad on the ground, etc), to inform the player that 'you need to do something now to get your health back up.'

This is honestly, my main criticism/concern regarding The Order. The game gives you control during different parts of the game, even in moments that's cut-scene-ish. But because the cinematic camera largely keeps your control of the character as if it's a cut-scene, it also has the ability to take it away from you suddenly.

Eg. The PSX demo opening scene where you were rappelling down the Zepellin and crossing the metal bars over to the door. The game gives you control of the character from beginning up till the end of the metal bar, but it also suddenly takes it away when it transitions seamlessly into cutscene where the scene where you enter the door was cutscene and no longer controlled by you.

Pull the camera out further would make it better? What why? You press triangle to drink blackwater when you are down ingame as well... It keeps it consistent.

Just saw a commercial for it during the Super Bowl preface stuff. All the pree quotes talked about nothing but graphics. Please don't disapoont game

I bit the bullet and preordered from Amazon so I can just come home from work Friday night and play away. Still have a bunch of Amazon gift card balance so maybe blood borne next.

"Don't hit any vital organs"
*shoots him in the heart*

Lol.
I think you've been fooled by the older anatomy art in your biology classes and/or putting your hand on the left side of your body :)

Human hearts are generally more centered, though they can be a little off to either side depending on the person. However, they were still pretty much in a vital area near lung and major arterial pathways.

seabass0

Does anyone know if there is a review embargo on this? I'm hoping to see some reviews trickle in throughout the week before the Friday 2/20 release.

I think you've been fooled by the older anatomy art in your biology classes and/or putting your hand on the left side of your body :)

Human hearts are generally more centered, though they can be a little off to either side depending on the person. However, they were still pretty much in a vital area near lung and major arterial pathways.

I've just watched lots of Buffy and she always stakes the vamps on the left side :(

/uneducated

cornerman

People must be really be bad at pressing buttons on command. I mean I've never had a problem outside of RE4 and Heavenly Sword.

Its also funny how mere seconds out of a game spanning hours and hours, just ruins it for some people. I get it, but sometimes when I think about it just seems odd at times.

They want to show Galahad in a camera position that's not part of his core moveset and throw a triangle up to take blackwater. Yeah it could have been a cutscene, they could have deleted the scene and just had the camera behind him, with him slumped over, with the screen flashing red. I get that some prefer one over the other, but its also like one button press and its over. just doesn't seem like that big a deal or obstacle to overcome.

whoaduh

I've just watched lots of Buffy and she always stakes the vamps on the left side :(

/uneducated

Center of chest confirmed.

3xz2BKInca3J1EP7Ta.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They should have show the story trailer .... but I can see how the gore would be off putting during the SB.
There's no way they could air it. They would have to cut out all the gory bits and a two and a half minute trailer during the Super Bowl would be expensive as hell.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does silver have an effect on werewolves in werewolf lore? I'm imagining a gun that fires silver stakes impaling things.
I'm really excited to see what crazy weapons are in the game that we haven't seen yet. They've been very careful about what they've shown so I expect a couple of Tesla's Toys to be saved for release.

/uneducated
Hey, maybe Vampire's have larger hearts that grow out to the side a bit to process all the extra blood? What if they have two hearts, like the Doctor?? Haha, it's likely just another Hollywood thing and possibly to not injure the actors with hits straight to the chest.

Kssio_Aug

That's correct!

Thanks again! I think I will pre-order this. Besides being only skins, I really liked them. And besides I didnt like some Eurogamer critics (such as the oversued QTE and the stealth insta-fail sections) these last gameplay leaks are really hyping me up again. Also, the shooting seems good and extremely satisfying... I hope not be wrong.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Just to be sure... this one is the same bonus as the digital pre-order, right?

Digital pre order has a bonus that I wont even get in the premium edition. It comes with an exclusive airship dynamic theme..... I am not happy about this as I wanted the artbook and blackwater vial that come with the premium....

Lemondish

Hey, maybe Vampire's have larger hearts that grow out to the side a bit to process all the extra blood? What if they have two hearts, like the Doctor?? Haha, it's likely just another Hollywood thing and possibly to not injure the actors with hits straight to the chest.

It's to avoid the sternum while the size of the instrument and angle of the staking is what damages the heart and ultimately destroys the target.

lololol made up bullshit on the spot

Top Bottom