• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

nib95

Banned
Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm past halfway through, and I gotta say, the game's pretty good so far.

Playing Hard without aim assist, my initial thoughts was that enemies fell far too easily, but then I realized that this is a time when guns had quite big bullets, and not to mention that in this universe the guns were made to have a better rate of fire, and I was happy on how to the enemies fell. It was quite realistic, in that aspect.

When I stay too long in certain places the AI will try to flank me, however not in every place. Enemies are not dumb, they know you're fucking lethal and will kill them, if they realize that you are close they will try to change their cover. They will react to your actions/guns you have equipped, in certain times. "Oh God, he has an arc gun!" "He has a shotgun, hide!" and some others (althought that's not the exact wording). And when killing them in certain times, they have some awesome animations/hit reactions, for example an enemy who was about to shoot you receives a lethal shot in the abdomen, making him fall while shooting his gun.

Melee makes you feel like a god damn boss. You go running and gunning and run out of ammo? Sprint to the hurt enemy before he can recover and break his bloody neck. RAD made a combat that while it's easy, it feels lethal and strong. I have never been bored during the combat sections or was forced to stay in cover for long if I knew what I was doing.

The story is very, very good. I like how it's presented, however I can see that some people are going to have a field day criticizing how it feels. I personally love it. The attention to detail is impressive, making other studios blush. People who love history from the 19th century are going to love this one. I kind of giggled in some parts because of the references to real life people. The performances are great, and there's great chemistry between the main characters, and I have to highlight La Fayette, brought a smile to my face whenever he talked.

The graphics are freaking amazing. They do not disappoint and found myself saying "next gen is fucking here", and the vistas, oh man, the vistas, I'm so glad that RAD did not budge to public reception to the black bars because they have made possible to some shots that just made want to take pictures (which I didn't because they might be spoilerific).

I forgot to say the biggest negative I've found: the lycans encounters are kind of wasted, except of the one they hyped.

I was expecting them to hype it more in game, and even make them more tense and hard, but they were pretty easy. I feel that they wasted that potential, sadly. However I've yet to finish the game and so I might get some surprises.

I can't tell you guys how excited I am for RAD's next game. If this is their first try at a AAA game, I can't even imagine what they'll do next when they don't have to focus on making an engine or building a new IP. Congratulations, Ready at Dawn, you have made an excellent game.

Thanks for the impressions dude! Lots of really positive ones of late!

Who woulda' thought? As soon as we start getting more actual user impressions that aren't derived from watching a YouTube playthrough, the conversation/tone of the thread becomes more positive.

Ricky_R

Who woulda' thought? As soon as we start getting more actual user impressions that aren't derived from watching a YouTube playthrough, the conversation/tone of the thread becomes more positive.

Maybe because many of those people weren't really interested in the game in the first place and might not be interest in providing senstitive negative/positive impressions either.

Just a guess. ;)

nib95

Banned

Forming conclusive opinions of a game based on video play throughs is just, wow lol. You'll only ever know how a game truly feels, plays, and is as an overall experience, by actually playing it yourself. Anything else is but a tertiary impression of it.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm past halfway through, and I gotta say, the game's pretty good so far.

Playing Hard without aim assist, my initial thoughts was that enemies fell far too easily, but then I realized that this is a time when guns had quite big bullets, and not to mention that in this universe the guns were made to have a better rate of fire, and I was happy on how to the enemies fell. It was quite realistic, in that aspect.

When I stay too long in certain places the AI will try to flank me, however not in every place. Enemies are not dumb, they know you're fucking lethal and will kill them, if they realize that you are close they will try to change their cover. They will react to your actions/guns you have equipped, in certain times. "Oh God, he has an arc gun!" "He has a shotgun, hide!" and some others (althought that's not the exact wording). And when killing them in certain times, they have some awesome animations/hit reactions, for example an enemy who was about to shoot you receives a lethal shot in the abdomen, making him fall while shooting his gun.

Melee makes you feel like a god damn boss. You go running and gunning and run out of ammo? Sprint to the hurt enemy before he can recover and break his bloody neck. RAD made a combat that while it's easy, it feels lethal and strong. I have never been bored during the combat sections or was forced to stay in cover for long if I knew what I was doing.

The story is very, very good. I like how it's presented, however I can see that some people are going to have a field day criticizing how it feels. I personally love it. The attention to detail is impressive, making other studios blush. People who love history from the 19th century are going to love this one. I kind of giggled in some parts because of the references to real life people. The performances are great, and there's great chemistry between the main characters, and I have to highlight La Fayette, brought a smile to my face whenever he talked.

The graphics are freaking amazing. They do not disappoint and found myself saying "next gen is fucking here", and the vistas, oh man, the vistas, I'm so glad that RAD did not budge to public reception to the black bars because they have made possible to some shots that just made want to take pictures (which I didn't because they might be spoilerific).

I forgot to say the biggest negative I've found: the lycans encounters are kind of wasted, except of the one they hyped.

I was expecting them to hype it more in game, and even make them more tense and hard, but they were pretty easy. I feel that they wasted that potential, sadly. However I've yet to finish the game and so I might get some surprises.

I can't tell you guys how excited I am for RAD's next game. If this is their first try at a AAA game, I can't even imagine what they'll do next when they don't have to focus on making an engine or building a new IP. Congratulations, Ready at Dawn, you have made an excellent game.

Good stuff man, thanks.

Theman2k

So I'm pretty far into the campaign now (have been playing for about 7 hours now on hard) and I've decided to take a break to give some impressions as well as play some FF14. Anyways on to the impressions:

The game goes over that game/movie line a little more than other "cinematic" games such as Last of Us, Uncharted etc etc. But it isn't like interactive movie levels like Beyond Two Souls or Heavy Rain there is still a game there at its core. However the game also isn't afraid to go into "movie mode" or adventure game mode" where this a good amount of walking and no straight up combat So if you hate these types of games then this one is definitely not for you.

The cover system is like a mix of LOU and Gears however it isn't as good as either (or any other leading cover systems in the tps genre) imo. It didn't feel as smooth navigating from cover to cover as I wanted it to. Just seemed like it needed a bit more polish all around. Not to imply it was bad or anything it was serviceable.

The AI was decent you have your standard AI enemies who stay back and suppress you and then you have other types such as Shotguns, Assaults who move in and try to flank you from the sides.

The shooting felt really good there was a pretty good punch behind all the weapons and they were fun to use. I also like how grounded the gameplay felt you had to be smart about when you decided to move and how you would go about doing so. There seemed to be a good amount of uniqueness in the scenarios they threw you in.

Personal Gripes
  • Some actions could only be performed when the game wanted you too instead of having a dedicated button.
    - Their is a roll in the game but it literally can only be performed when someone throws a grenade and the prompt is on your screen I feel like this should have just been possible at any time would have made the cover system a bit more interesting.
  • Some unnecessary QTE's and at times an over reliance on QTE's
    - There was one where you pressed triangle each time to countdown from 3 also tapping x to get up after drinking blackwater I find unnecessary
  • I feel like there was a bit of pacing issues in the beginning in regards to gameplay/movie ratio, as the game progressed they managed it better. Will definitely turn some off.
  • I'm not a big fan of how the melee worked it was basically like press triangle and watch a small little takedown animation, I'd rather a bit more interactivity here kinda like UC1 or 2
  • At times the game feel too linear

Graphics are amazing some of the best I have seen and I don't even feel my TV is personally doing them proper justice.

The characterization is really great they really nailed this the banter between characters and all of that is very well acted.

The story started off a bit slow but slowly has been pulling me into the conflict that surrounds this world. I'm really eager to get back to it and find out what happens next.

I feel like its a really cool new ip but it definitely needs some fleshing out in subsequent releases much like many new ip's this gen. I actually feel more and more the UC1 comparisons actually hold some weight. In terms of reception I think this game will be polarizing some will hate, some will love, other will find it middling.

Thanks for the write up.
It stands exactly of what I felt on the game too.
Just like UC1 its something you have to play, not the best but the ground work for the sequel is good.

Forming conclusive opinions of a game based on video play throughs is just, wow lol. You'll only ever know how a game truly feels, plays, and is as an overall experience, by actually playing it yourself. Anything else is but a tertiary impression of it.

Yeah, I've always found it to be weird, even with games people use as examples of "non-games" that can apparently be enjoyed just as much via YouTube or similar outlets. I know it gets shit on a lot around here, but Heavy Rain really drew me into its world and I felt incredibly tense during certain scenes. Heck, at one point I actually tossed my controller to the side and held my head looking at the ground, trying to figure out what to do. I genuinely felt for the characters. That's something I would never be able to get out of watching someone else's playthrough. The feeling that you get while controlling the characters and making decisions at your own leisure can never be replicated by another person's video walkthrough. Sitting in front of your screen, controller in hand and headphones firmly in place; games can transport you to another world for a while.

Goddammit i hate all you fucking people that got the game early while i'm over here sitting having no order to play and debating whether this girl texting me is fucking with my head or not.

Goddammit.

The internet has become an echo chamber of pure negativity. No big budget, highly anticipated game like The Order is ever going to live up to its expectations ever again. We do this to ourselves. Instead of just waiting for the games to come out, checking out some reviews from sites we tend to see eye to eye with, and then making the purchase decision from there, we spend months and months speculating on that the game will/should be, get disappointed with the final result, and then give it bad reviews.

The game could be 15 hours long, and there would just be complaints about some other thing people have "heard" about the final build.

Bro. I'm so mad jealous right now

That girl
is actually me.

george-michael.gif

Goddammit i hate all you fucking people that got the game early while i'm over here sitting having no order to play and debating whether this girl texting me is fucking with my head or not.

Goddammit.
Text her to come over on Friday, grab some wine and candles. Dim the lights, light the candles and put on The Order. Impress her with the visuals.

I have a spoilerish question for someone whose played it:
Are there vampires?
Again, its just a question but I still decided to put spoilers. For the person who wants to respond don't just say yes/no kind of put it like this so its not to obvious:

......yes......
......no.......

So, when you are trying to determine a games length. Do you just take the fastest game completion time? Or do you go for the average game time on the average difficulty?

I'm just trying to get that straight... It seems like the 5.5 hour guy originally played and beat it at around 8 hours, but played through it again on easy to see how fast he could do it. Is that the best way to gauge it?

I don't really understand anymore. What is life? Where are my pants?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What about the other aspects besides story?
How's the replayability? Do you see yourself replaying it?

Definitely.

It's just such an easy flowing game. The gunplay is satisfying as fuck, the story (gripes aside) moves at a brisk pace, the graphiczrrrrmmmmmfffhnnngg*jizz~* ... It's just a very cozy game.

I already started my second play through. Noticing things I didn't before, trying to get the platinum etc.

Glad I got it. There's not much that I really wanna play in the horizon, and I've got a couple games in the backlog, so... All good. :)

Top Bottom