• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds is now out on Steam. Save 50%.

Kadayi

Banned
I jumped on it. 46.1 GB download though. Not that I don't have the space but honestly my perception was that it was a small game, but given Cyberpunk 2077 is 70GB ...I was thinking it would be maybe 20-25 GB. Still is what it is.

I enjoyed this game. It's a little mindless and compared to a Bethesda game it's very light on content, but viewed on it's own it's 40 hours of pretty fun gameplay. There are some not very well nuanced narratives in the game but it was blatant enough I could easily ignore it and just chalk it up to hack writing. There are some main characters whose sole purpose is to push inclusiveness and diversity which you have to sit through if you want to fully complete the game which was unfortunate, and despite the crew being all grown adults, most feel as if they were written by either children or adults who never really reached adulthood and have self-inserted themselves into the game.

Game looks really nice at times, art direction is well done. I liked the overall universe they've set up but I have a feeling this was a one-and-done series. If they ever do a sequel I hope they can steer it more towards being a sci-fi adventure and less "current day Earth's "problems" in space"

Also, turn off the chromatic aberration in the .ini files. I played about half the game with it on because the option to disable it isn't in the game settings. It's nuclear levels in the game and everything looks so much cleaner with it off.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Finally downloaded. Damn people weren't exaggerating about the character creator though. You can be any 'flavour of female you like, as long as its Bull-Dyke' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still, looks nice and runs buttery smooth, and the lip-synching so far seems decent enough.

OutRun88

What’s the narrative you all are talking about? This game looks pretty awesome, but I really don’t want identity politics pushed down my throat if that’s what it is.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What’s the narrative you all are talking about? This game looks pretty awesome, but I really don’t want identity politics pushed down my throat if that’s what it is.
There is a sidequest where you help your lesbian teammate find her lesbian love.

I don't mean that at as bad thing but... Take your own conclusions.

brap

Banned
cbg3rTO.jpg

EE4EeoMXkAYxX42

EE4EeoOX4AAPFyh

EE4EeoMWwAAcaw7

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

It’s subtle stuff that the usual suspects moaned about or cheered about. There’s no real attractive women and I don’t even remember if you can “romance” any of the characters anyway.

It really wasn’t all that bad and didn’t impact my enjoyment of the game or anything.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, the narrative is shitty character graphics like every bethesda game that they clearly tried to ape here and no Mass Effect style romances, wut? Dang, you snowflakes get offended by anything these days. And showing the same characters twice and a couple that aren't even bad for lack of points. Lol.

Not even buying into this game, seems mediocre from what I've played, just saying. Sucks to see such sensitivity by people who are supposedly all against that sort of thing, when it comes by others of course, if they want to get their way they'll whine and cry about just about everything themselves. Lol.

Last edited:

OutRun88

There is a sidequest where you help your lesbian teammate find her lesbian love.

I don't mean that at as bad thing but... Take your own conclusions.
It’s subtle stuff that the usual suspects moaned about or cheered about. There’s no real attractive women and I don’t even remember if you can “romance” any of the characters anyway.

It really wasn’t all that bad and didn’t impact my enjoyment of the game or anything.
Meh, I can live with this.

Still 50% too much.

Kind of agree. It's obvious most of the New Vegas developers left when you play the game - it's one note and just kinda... safe in terms of how it presents themes and characters.

Also, the companions are pretty forgettable.

The expansion packs (2) also feel like theft at $30 (Gorgon was a $5 experience at most, and that's being generous).

Wait for an even better sale, but am glad it's on Steam finally after the Epic wall... but at least Obsidian got to avoid the harm of Steam reviews as a result, so good strategy on their part.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Great, are we doing again that gross bit where we comment on the physical attractiveness or lack thereof of perfect strangers who are not public figures and happen to be game devs?
Wouldn't mind. I'll probably have more fun with that than playing their game.

Great, are we doing again that gross bit where we comment on the physical attractiveness or lack thereof of perfect strangers who are not public figures and happen to be game devs?

I'm not defending the "comment on physical appearance" behavior, but to be fair, Obsidian PUBLICALLY posted this image to make a stance in the first place.

I don't really care, I just want good games. If they're good developers and make great games (Outer Worlds isn't it, it's a B- at best), fine.

But that's the only the female part of the team no?

What Outer Worlds lacked though is...budget.

Er, I don't know if it would have been better with more money, as some of the problems were aesthetic or judgment ones - it lacked a lot of things and made a lot of mistakes that weren't budget related.

Ex: Hyping a non-open-world-game that superficially has ties to Fallout by loudly proclaiming "Fallout creators and New Vegas developers work on this!" set an unrealistic bar with the messaging, for one.

I thought it was funny when they did it as a fuck you to Bethesda, but the problem is it set an unrealistic expectation for people playing it.

Komatsu

I don't really care, I just want good games. If they're good developers and make great games (Outer Worlds isn't it, it's a B- at best), fine.

So do we all. But the narrative here (and in that old thread) is that the game is bad because these women are "ugly" (!?), which is childish, and frankly, sad.

NJYhVYD.jpg

See these supermodels here? God forbid I tell you which crapsack of a game they worked on.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'm digging it so far. The Ship stuff with ADA did make me smile. I've gone more with a talkie build so it's all about that persuasion angle. Also, I knew it was Ashley Burch as Parveti as soon as she spoke. Thankfully not doing a Chloe this time. 🤔

Er, I don't know if it would have been better with more money, as some of the problems were aesthetic or judgment ones - it lacked a lot of things and made a lot of mistakes that weren't budget related.

Ex: Hyping a non-open-world-game that superficially has ties to Fallout by loudly proclaiming "Fallout creators and New Vegas developers work on this!" set an unrealistic bar with the messaging, for one.

I thought it was funny when they did it as a fuck you to Bethesda, but the problem is it set an unrealistic expectation for people playing it.
Well, they (I don't remember who published it) tried to sell as AAA game while it was essentially AA. So they created expectations but failed to fulfill them.

I think people are a little too harsh on this game but it's almost like compensation for how wrong critics were in the YouTubers when they were gushing over it. the problem is so many people expected this to be the game fallout 4 should have been but what ended up happening is it got a lot of things right that fallout 4 got wrong and then proceeded to get a lot of things wrong that fallout 4 got right and I'm convinced that even if you combine the two games and just had the best elements of both you still wouldn't have a game anywhere near as good as new Vegas so when you look at it that way it's very disappointing. But if you just look at it as a random game from a small Indie studio it's a pretty damn good game.

Komatsu

I'm digging it so far. The Ship stuff with ADA did make me smile. I've gone more with a talkie build so it's all about that persuasion angle. Also, I knew it was Ashley Burch as Parveti as soon as she spoke. Thankfully not doing a Chloe this time. 🤔

It's a cool AA game that ultimately disappoints. It does wear its Santa Ana politics on its sleeve: Every woman in the game is a sage, warrior or leader while most male characters are dimwits, which frankly seems a bit of an over-correction to me. That said, again, this is completely unrelated to how these Obsidian employees look or dress like.

OutRun88

So do we all. But the narrative here (and in that old thread) is that the game is bad because these women are "ugly" (!?), which is childish, and frankly, sad.

NJYhVYD.jpg

See these supermodels here? God forbid I tell you which crapsack of a game they worked on.
I’m not sure what your play is here. Are you defending a bunch of chubby and/or unattractive females by comparing them to beta males within the same industry?

My assumption with that picture being taken was to indicate the games wokeness?

Senua

Gold Member

NJYhVYD.jpg

Those are some cute ladyboys tbh.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Hey that's your assumption. I don't care about their physical form and super model look. What I care about is the majority of these women are those type of women who wouldn't hesitate to kill men if it became legal for SJWs.

Top Bottom