• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Sells 2 Million Copies, As Take-Two Questions The Subscription Model

ethomaz

Banned
ANY game will always be worse streamed than played locally. Even as ISPs improve, streaming will forever be inferior.

People equating watching movies and playing video games via streaming must not take video games very seriously.
Movies are not in real-time so you can buffer before stream (most apps/services do a buffer local before start show you the video). For exemple if a movie stream service has a 1 minute buffer you can lose the internet and your movie will still play a minute after you lose it... in that minute the internet can go back and you will never knew your internet goes off some seconds.

Games can't use that trick because there is real time player interactivity that affects what will be showed and streamed.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So why are devs putting their games on the service then?
giphy.gif

BitDust

I imagine the framerate issues of Bloodborne with the input lag of Now... some bosses should be tense :D

The problem surprisingly wasn't the input lag or the framerate, it felt very good honestly. But the video compression, specially in dark spots, was too much for a beautiful game like this. I simply decided to not throw away such good experience and go later for the real thing. Maybe they will bring this game on PC, who knows. Problem is most of Playstation games don't match my tastes, that's why I prefer paying a sub on XboxGamePass on PC and it's much cheaper. Moreover a stream service like this at 720p surely works better if you play on small screens like smartphones or tablets, but playing on PC makes you desire for better image quality.

ethomaz

Banned
The problem surprisingly wasn't the input lag or the framerate, it felt very good honestly. But the video compression, specially in dark spots, was too much for a beautiful game like this. I simply decided to not throw away such good experience and go later for the real thing. Maybe they will bring this game on PC, who knows. Problem is most of Playstation games don't match my tastes, that's why I prefer paying a sub on XboxGamePass on PC and it's much cheaper. Moreover a stream service like this at 720p surely works better if you play on small screens like smartphones or tablets, but playing on PC makes you desire for better image quality.
I can see that being a issue too.

Last edited:
The own OP give you the answer... "we're willing to take experimental chances when it makes sense" and after they thought it is better for old titles.

So looks like it's not a problem then? Because the service has been there for 2+ years and devs are putting more and more games on it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm surprised it sold two mill, it wasn't exactly a stellar game. Also too woke. Good thing I got it from Gamepass.

Vawn

Banned

Microsoft bought them. They still have to uphold agreements for PS4/Switch releases, but they very likely had no say in GP.

How many non-MS AAA games are coming out on GP the day they release?

Like, he said, this makes more sense for older games that are already bring sold at a fraction of their initial MSRP.

ethomaz

Banned
Read the comment I replied to. Where does he mention day one games?
That is the whole point of the thread lol

BTW The Other World is a odd case because it is a transition from 3rd to 1st party so it was forced to be on Gamepass... like MS was forced to accept PS4/Switch releases.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Microsoft bought them. They still have to uphold agreements for PS4/Switch releases, but they very likely had no say in GP.

Like, he said, this makes more sense for older games that are already bring sold at a fraction of their initial MSRP.

There is zero way to know this without seeing the publishing agreement.

Vawn

Banned
Blu Manchu
Mobius Digital
NightSchool
JoyMasher

Who? Who? Who? And who?

Yeah, it's great for relative unknowns like these to take anything they can get. Same is true for indie games that initially release "for free" on PS+ or XB Gold.

They guy I responded to said Gamepass is a problem for devs.

It's not because every one is putting their games on the service. MS day one, others a few months later, some others 1 year down the road. Nowhere he mentions

Also you're one of those guys acting like GP is killing gaming. Funny how the people who actually make games embrace the platform.

ethomaz

Banned
Who? Who? Who? And who?

Yeah, it's great for relative unknowns like these to take anything they can get. Same is true for indie games that initially release "for free" on PS+ or XB Gold.
Yeap it is good for indies fro exposure... they can give up the low revenue (the chances to a new indie game sells gangbusters is pretty low) to get some name for a future fund from a big publisher.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeap it is good for indies fro exposure... they can give up the low revenue (the chances to a new indie game sells gangbusters is pretty low) to get some name for a future fund from a big publisher.

I dont disagree but thats not the question you asked.

That is the whole point of the thread lol

BTW The Other World is a odd case because it is a transition from 3rd to 1st party so it was forced to be on Gamepass... like MS was forced to accept PS4/Switch releases.

You're off topic bro. Was responding to the guy saying GP is a problem for devs. You've made it about day one games on GP that nobody does except for MS who own the freaking service lol.

LOLCats

Banned
I kind of feel like they are using gamepass as an excuse, but i have no basis for that feeling.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Well, once the game is 3-6 months old, its not worth much anyway, generally speaking. Small revenue stream and or experimentation.

I mean something like EA Access is probably one of the more successful early access/rental type services, they have 3m users at say $30-50 a year, very small revenue stream.

Nobody is going to retire early on this.

Last edited:

Neofire

I'm sure they are getting "incentives" to do so because there is no rational logic from a business standpoint to basically sell your game for 1 dollarba month as a service and pray they recoop the money that it too to develop it on top of mailing a profit.

wolffy71

Banned
New games don't make much sense to me. Older games on the other make a ton sense. Sometimes you just take a "ah what the hell" approach and just try something you're really not too sure you're gonna like and that you would never actually spend money on. I've spent hundreds (estimate)on dlc from them in the last year or so.

That's where the devs benefit the most imo. I'msure MS will grease a few palms toget top notch new content occasionally but this service shines as a "used games" alternative for both devs and gamers.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If Is sustaineble for indi devs and small pub why not for take two?

What Is your theory about why swery65 with the kickstarter project "the good Life" Will join gamepass day One?
I think a big part of it is advertising. Make some money from Game Pass, have millions play the game and generate word of mouth, turn that into actual sales on other platforms.

2 mil on all platforms? Guess thats why it went to game pass, publisher could see this coming. Guess going woke didn’t turn out so well for Obsidian.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I really love the Outer Worlds but that's because I'm taking it very slowly. There's not enough content in Outer Worlds to make it a viable game in the future. If you give me that much content going on, I won't bother playing future installments.

GHG

More often than not it's not the developers who decide this, it's the publisher.

The publisher gets offered a sum of money and then makes a call as to whether they think it's an economically viable deal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom