• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Xbox One X versus PC (This is disappointing)

Can we please talk about this, I own both platforms and this amount of cutbacks especially at 30 FPS seems kind of ridiculous. Where are these "4K Textures", the ground looks horrible. Where is all the foliage? Is a native resolution really culling this much environmental detail from the scene in such an average looking game? This doesn't seem right, something is coming off as wrong here. I mean if resolution is really the cause here they made the wrong choice, they should have scaled back to 1800p or something.

Xbox One X

48955552703_75152b17a5_o.png

PC

48956101371_4d8071c56d_o.png

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It's Ultra settings yes, but that's not the point. This game is striving for resolution at a huge gulf to the lushness of the world which could be traded off for a lower resolution.
Well i'm literally about to start it and see if it looks ok on its own.

Not trying to sound like a troll here but if it looks like that much of a downgrade on x. ( still looks good just not as good) I wonder how. The switch version is gonna look?

Reactions: Isa
That is always obvious thing comparing PC with consoles. But I don't understand how can The Outer Worlds look great and bad at the same time. I know they didn't have a high budget, but this engine is enough flexible to make games look great without any flops

Expecting high quality console port from Obsidian? Lol

This thread looks like a bait, OP created to bash X forgetting the fact that X got games like RDR2 2 running at native 4k and Gears 5 at 4k60 and many others games which shines on X.

Blaming hardware when it's clear that devs at fault here it's stupid.
That's a nice science fiction theory, or the reality that I tried both to see where I wanted to play because there is no crosssaving, and to my jarring surprise the X version looks like it's running on low and medium settings.

Last edited:
That's a nice science fiction theory, or the reality that I tried both to see where I wanted to play because there is no crosssaving, and to my jarring surprise the X version looks like it's running on low and medium settings.

It's poorly optimised. They just boosted resolution instead of smartly using resources of system to find a good balance between resolution and graphics.

Game was developed before Obsidian joined MS. Hopefully for their future games, they will get full support from MS studios like T10,Playground and Coliation to how to use Xbox hardware effectively

Can we please talk about this, I own both platforms and this amount of cutbacks especially at 30 FPS seems kind of ridiculous. Where are these "4K Textures", the ground looks horrible. Where is all the foliage? Is a native resolution really culling this much environmental detail from the scene in such an average looking game? This doesn't seem right, something is coming off as wrong here. I mean if resolution is really the cause here they made the wrong choice, they should have scaled back to 1800p or something.

Xbox One X

48955552703_75152b17a5_o.png

PC

48956101371_4d8071c56d_o.png
cherry picking?

will play today on xbox... tell me which area of the game is this?
i will look for myself.....

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not excusing the quality of the port, but Obsidian love to mention how small their budgets are and how good they feel about their accomplishments considering their relative lack of funding. So if you take that into consideration, it’s no surprise the Xbox One X version is pretty fucking mediocre. It’s not going to have that first-party level of technical polish, to say the least (and yes I’m aware Microsoft purchased Obsidian late into the development of OW). Played the X1X version myself for about an hour and noticed dropped frames everywhere too, for a game that’s not technically impressive or demanding this stands out.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Is that even a question, surely 60fps on pc all say.

mcz117chief

Wait, the pc is the better one here? I honestly thought that the Xbox One X is the superior one. At least from the screenshots in the OP the X looks way better, more vibrant and colorful, shadows are deeper etc., the PC looks dull and bland.

brap

Banned
Xbros... We lost this one...

Wait, the pc is the better one here? I honestly thought that the Xbox One X is the superior one. At least from the screenshots in the OP the X looks way better, more vibrant and colorful, shadows are deeper etc., the PC looks dull and bland.
I think the bottom one has HDR enabled and the screenshot wasn't converted to the right color space which is why it looks dull.

mcz117chief

I think the bottom one has HDR enabled and the screenshot wasn't converted to the right color space which is why it looks dull.
Well even then, if I had to pick one I would go with the X one (I don't even own the X since I am a Sonypony/PC gamer). It looks better to me, especially the ground textures. It reminds me a lot of Spore.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hey, OP! Will it make you feel better if tell ya that the game on PC and with minimum settings looks better than when it maxed out? Don't believe me, look no further.....

And it is also optimised like shit (1440p / 4K) for how average at best and past-gen-ish the game looks.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Hey, OP! Will it make you feel better if tell ya that the game on PC and with minimum settings looks better than when it maxed out? Don't believe me, look no further.....

And it is also optimised like shit (1440p / 4K) for how average at best and past-gen-ish the game looks.

That has more to do with disabling/lowering post processing.

Which I suggest everyone do. In any UE4 game. The option is called screen effects.

Last edited:
That has more to do with disabling/lowering post processing.

Which I suggest everyone do. In any UE4 game. The option is called screen effects.
The issue with this is it removes things like the AO and volumetrics, the only thing that really needs to be disabled is the chromatic aberration but as of right now I don't know how to do that.

Last edited:
2019 and people STILL fall for the "consoles can compete with PC" meme
The X should have no problem running as seen on the PC if resolution were dialed back. It's not a question of if, it's a question of why it's not and that is clearly those resources are being improperly directed towards resolution.

Ogbert

It's Ultra settings yes, but that's not the point. This game is striving for resolution at a huge gulf to the lushness of the world which could be traded off for a lower resolution.

You’ve basically just described the problem with consoles. Developers chase what, for many, is the least important characteristic of a game. Far better to concentrate on framerate and graphical fidelity.

Remember this when people tell you PS5 and Next Box are going to deliver cutting edge graphics.

They won’t.

yeah, I think this is fake, the image you posted isnt even 4k

its only 2,560 × 1,440 PNG (3.7 megapixels)
It's resized to make direct comparisons easier to the PC version which is rendering at 2560x1440. It's not fake, it's a convenience so when you open the full image they are the same size and not scaled incorrectly.

You guys are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
It's resized to make direct comparisons easier to the PC version which is rendering at 2560x1440. It's not fake, it's a convenience so when you open the full image they are the same size and not scaled incorrectly.

You guys are ridiculous.

of course it is blablabla. I dont believe you sony defense force guys.. you will do ANYTHING to bash against xbox

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
of course it is blablabla. I dont believe you sony defense force guys.. you will do ANYTHING to bash against xbox

This thread had absolutely nothing to do with Sony or Playstation before you brought it up. Every single post I see you make is ragging on Sony/PS4 and then screaming at other people for being "fanboys". Do you need someone to talk to?

Teslerum

In general the best part of the graphics are the skyboxes and some vistas.
Otherwise its serviceable, but not anything you should consider buying the game for. At all.

Last edited:
I think the 4K textures on the 1X are great, I haven't seen anything yet resembling the pic in the OP 🤷‍♀️

The only bad thing about the game visually are the big, pink trees which look really terrible, something that wouldn't be out of place on a PS2.

Other than those, the game looks good, certainly above my expectations.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom