• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Xbox One X versus PC (This is disappointing)

That does not look that bad, all things considered. The missing folliage on X clearly seems a bug.
I don't think it's a bug, I think it's a rendering concession.

This kind of reminds me of what happened with Borderlands 3 where the Pro was an upres'd PS4 version and the X version was an upres'd Xbox One version. Basically the base PS4 had some higher settings than the base Xbox One which translated to its Pro build, and those lower settings on the base Xbox One translated to the X build.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Do you have some kind of inferiority complex buddy?

Not a good look.

CxtXY8o.png
Not when you have a cock as big as mine

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I had to do a fresh install of windows 10 to get the stupid xbox beta app to work for pc gamepass. Somehow I got so pissed at the Microsoft Store I inadvertently deleted it.

Looking at those pics it seems like it's worth it. I'm downloading it now. Work is gonna suck in the morning, but screw this noise.

Dibils2k

i played the start, didnt think about foilage but the sharpness and clarity is incredible on the One X so i dont think you can complain about the 4k resolution or textures

Airbus Jr

Banned
Can we please talk about this, I own both platforms and this amount of cutbacks especially at 30 FPS seems kind of ridiculous. Where are these "4K Textures", the ground looks horrible. Where is all the foliage? Is a native resolution really culling this much environmental detail from the scene in such an average looking game? This doesn't seem right, something is coming off as wrong here. I mean if resolution is really the cause here they made the wrong choice, they should have scaled back to 1800p or something.

Xbox One X

48955552703_75152b17a5_o.png

PC

48956101371_4d8071c56d_o.png

bottom pict are prob from GTX 2080 TI

Xbox One X cant fight that bruh

Wait for Xbox Pocahontas

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It could be one of a few things. It all depends on how the engine is created, and I have to be honest I haven’t even looked at what engine it’s using.

Anyway, foliage is a very heavy effect for rendering and will pummel fillrate. Do you know what else hurts fillrate? Resolution and effects. So, usually when a game increases on resolution, effects are rendered lower res in a virtual screen space to save on fillrate, and guess what else gets the chop? Foliage. So it’s possible foliage was foaled back to hit a native 4k.

Now on a personal level I would rather it was dropped in resolution some what, but that’s just me.

However that’s not the only possibility. Their foliage is created using alpha masking, not alpha blending. Alpha masking is very dependant on your screen resolution, as it’s mask is created based on how many pixels it has to work with. Alpha masking is usually uglier than alpha blending, as it has a hard edge rather than a faded one (unless using alpha to coverage which is another thing entirely but then that needs good AA). But alpha masking is a lot quicker, even more so with regard to lighting rendering.

Anyway, alpha to coverage works based on resolution. But the higher you go in resolution, the closer to the overall foliage texture mask will render. Think of it like a circle, and if you run in a low res screen that circle will get thicker (because it has less pixels to work with), but if you use a larger resolution, that circle will get sharper and closer to its original form, and will look like it’s shrinking.

So what’s happening is, as you can see, the foliage IS being rendered... it’s there. Look again at the pics above and you can see little stumps of grass where it should be, it’s just not full and thick.

Now this is a stupid mistake to make because you can actually increase your mask threshold with distance and resolution to compensate for this. So that your foliage looks thick and wonderful over large distances but never different over resolutions. This is something we did 15 years ago... it’s not a new tricks.

Anyway...

The only other differences I can see are the usual “console cutbacks”, like reduced shadow res, penumbra differences, AF and AO etc. All you would expect on a late 2019 game.

So yeah... can this be fixed? He’s, because essentially it’s not a bug, it’s an over sight. Does this mean the X is doomed? No. It’s an oversight. Is the Pro using magicsouce to render all this grass? Read my post again, and look at the resolution difference.

In short, until somebody posts a native 4k shot from PC with the same Xbox settings, I can’t say for sure. But the above is a technical run down on who’s happening and why it happens, and yes, with a few minutes it can be fixed easily with no performance drain (might be a slight drop due to fillrate once the masks render in again however the foliage entities are already generated so that won’t hurt).

EDIT: Looking again, I can see some parts where the foliage isn't being rendered at all, so they are using a lower foliage density setting for sure in combination with the above. But you would expect that at high resolutions. Still, I see no reason why this can't be achieved on 4k, and until then will see it as a mistake on their part.

Last edited:

ookami

Well, nothing really surprising there. They had to choose where to have cutbacks. Trees keep the same kind of foliage, geometry complexity and field of view seems to be very close.
I guess it more a subjective matter, they could have gone better texture quality which cost on asset streaming and reduce the above parameters.

Edit: Or basically what Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens said.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't think it's a bug, I think it's a rendering concession.

This kind of reminds me of what happened with Borderlands 3 where the Pro was an upres'd PS4 version and the X version was an upres'd Xbox One version. Basically the base PS4 had some higher settings than the base Xbox One which translated to its Pro build, and those lower settings on the base Xbox One translated to the X build.
That's what I'm thinking as well, which quite frankly I find to be just utterly lazy on the developer side of things.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was curious, so I booted up the game on Xbox to see if there are visual options to disable Chromatic Aberration...nope. Lol. Enjoy your bad acid trip, boys.

pawel86ck

Banned
Can we please talk about this, I own both platforms and this amount of cutbacks especially at 30 FPS seems kind of ridiculous. Where are these "4K Textures", the ground looks horrible. Where is all the foliage? Is a native resolution really culling this much environmental detail from the scene in such an average looking game? This doesn't seem right, something is coming off as wrong here. I mean if resolution is really the cause here they made the wrong choice, they should have scaled back to 1800p or something.

Xbox One X

48955552703_75152b17a5_o.png

PC

48956101371_4d8071c56d_o.png
Maybe CPU was a bottleneck, not GPU. Otherwise they would use something like 1440p and increase world level of details.

Last edited:
Has anyone with a higher frequency or g-sync monitor put any time into the game? I'd like to know how well the game plays at higher framerates.

Bethesda are notorious for attaching game logic to framerate, i just want to be sure that won't happen with Odsidian and their Outer Worlds.

Maybe CPU was a bottleneck, not GPU. Otherwise they would use something like 1440p and increase world level of details.
I highly doubt the CPU plays any part.

It's Unreal Engine 4, Gears of War 4 for example has far more going on visually and AI wise and it's running at native 4K with graphics that put this to bed.

Dory16

Banned
By all pre-release account from the publisher (nevertheless), the X version is the most optimised. I'd wait to see Digital Foundry's take on this one before I pass judgement based on someone's uploaded "screenshots"

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Damn, until you see hand-tuned PC settings running on RX 480 compared to a similar GPU in Xbox One X, you can't really appreciate true freedom of being able to turn off CA.

ky7QWnK.jpg

4i8Pn2M.jpg

Holy fuck! Forget acid. Somebody at Obsidian is on bath salts. Is this running 60fps on Xbox One X?

Damn, until you see hand-tuned PC settings running on RX 480 compared to a similar GPU in Xbox One X, you can't really appreciate true freedom of being able to turn off CA.

ky7QWnK.jpg

4i8Pn2M.jpg

Holy fuck! Forget acid. Somebody at Obsidian is on bath salts. Is this running 60fps on Xbox One X?
No it's at 30 which makes this crap even more puzzling.

It's a shame. I def would prefer a high quality 1080p version. 4k is nice but I def wouldn't want to sacrafice that much graphics quality for it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
No it's at 30 which makes this crap even more puzzling.
Wtf? Honestly, I think something is broken right now. Looks like the both the ground texture and it's detail textures are missing.

I had to fuck around a bit before settling on 1440p with mixed settings with RiS enabled in the control panel(19.10.2 driver), and it bounces around at 45-55fps. I originally tried for a 60fps hard cap but I was getting jitter no matter the settings I tried. Then I tried to cap at 30fps with 1800p and mixed settings, but got screen tearing, especially with v-sync enabled. Strangely enough, it was best to just go 1440p with 'Very High' view distance and 'Very High' textures and just let it float unlocked. I get hardly any jitter, and almost no tearing this way. Looks fucking awesome, too.

Even 1440p, 'High' view distance, 85% resolution scaling looks better than that screen from the X1X and runs ~60fps(Ryzen 1600 game mode 3.8GHz, RX 480 OC 1310MHz core, 8050MHz mem).

GCfCeqQ.jpg

7WGtyCG.jpg

Does it look like that everywhere all the time? If so, that's broken.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Does it look like that everywhere all the time? If so, that's broken.

There's a bug on certain PC configurations that fucks with colors on near objects. I don't know if these issues are related.
That one already got reported and submitted to Obsidian.

As I said before, someone with an X should report this. Even if it isn't broken and is a technical choice, people should speak up for a change to make it at least closer to Pro. (Also FOV slider for consoles and chromatic abberration, but there are already threads for that)

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not surprised to be honest. I have a 980ti powered PC and i cant go higher than 1080p at Ultra if i want to keep 60fps. If i went 4k, i'd probably be getting 20fps at Ultra.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think they both looks good. This feels like a bait thread. To the naked eye they look very similar. It's only when you really start looking you can see the differences.

cormack12

Gold Member
It could be one of a few things. It all depends on how the engine is created, and I have to be honest I haven’t even looked at what engine it’s using.

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Dibils2k

1080p/60fps over 4k/30fps any day of the week
i thought so, but not anymore, especially when on a 4K TV

for example, i use the 4k/30 mode in Horizon 4 over the 1080p/60

if its a solid 30fps you get used to it very quickly, if you are switching between them back to back then ofcourse the difference is huge and 30fps feels atrocious, but as i said, you get used to it, where as getting used to a blurry picture is not really possible

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Erm... playing it on X now and my console looks nothing like the picture posted in the first post. Yeah not exactly incredible, the foliage is still missing (see above) but the lighting in my game is totally different to what I’m seeing in the first post. It essentially looks the same as the pc version.

Eh?

(Taken from Xbox one X)

Now I’m playing the game native on an X, my above points still stand about foliage, but it looks as well like they are simply using base Xbox one S settings in 4k. That’s likely why the foliage is so poor. So pick an explanation. Regardless of which one you pick, it’s still wrong, and still fixable.

I just hope they bother to do it...

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Looks like a texture bug maybe because X is the version patched with 4k textures and that could be bugged.

of course it is blablabla. I dont believe you sony defense force guys.. you will do ANYTHING to bash against xbox
He is definitely in Xbox defense force side.

Last edited:

Fbh

I really hope next gen consoles continue to offer more options. Not fully customizable graphical settings but maybe 2 or 3 presets.
Personally I'll always prefer performance or other graphical options to raw resolution. I'd rather have a game run at 1800p or 1440p with better foliage, textures, draw distances, etc than native 4K

Curious OP... Are you comparing these due to having the gamepass, which is awesome by the way?

Also, what are your specs on the pc shots compared to the gfx card in the x? I mean we all knew PC would look better.

Three

MS probably mandated 4k and alpha effects at high res meant some grass had to disappear. Probably not a bug.

i thought so, but not anymore, especially when on a 4K TV

for example, i use the 4k/30 mode in Horizon 4 over the 1080p/60

if its a solid 30fps you get used to it very quickly, if you are switching between them back to back then ofcourse the difference is huge and 30fps feels atrocious, but as i said, you get used to it, where as getting used to a blurry picture is not really possible

I use 30fps on xbox quite often and frequently jump around between 60-240fps on PC, depending on if a game supports it. I'd definitely take the 1080p over 4k/30, especially in fast paced games like racing or FPS titles, but even in turn based titles it can be quite jarring. 30fps just is not something i'd want in any modern title whatsoever

DarkestHour

Banned
Achieving "4K" at the expense of fidelity is hilarious to me. Stay dumb, consoles. Instead of targeting frame rates at 1080p you continue to try to do a high resolution that even modern PCs sometimes struggle with when graphics options are set high.

Murdoch

Achieving "4K" at the expense of fidelity is hilarious to me. Stay dumb, consoles. Instead of targeting frame rates at 1080p you continue to try to do a high resolution that even modern PCs sometimes struggle with when graphics options are set high.

Tell me about it. As a console gamer with a 1080p TV set (don't MOST people still rock this native res?) it frustrates me that the Pro and the X both push for 4k ahead of a solid, stable 60fps. Speaking honestly, it's one of the biggest attractions of Stadia.

Top Bottom