• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure where the rumor started saying that it isnt canon but Im almost certain that Kojima himself stated that PO was canon.

EDIT: Here

"In a podcast for Kojima Productions, Kojima stated via his translator that Portable Ops is canon, but was not a main chapter. The official website, likewise, kept Portable Ops on the Saga timeline, although only as a brief footnote. The MSX2 games were given similar treatment on the same website. In addition, the Japanese Konami site had a 25th Anniversary timeline that omitted Portable Ops, although it should be noted that in a previous timeline hosted by the Konami site, occurring around the time Peace Walker was in development, had erroneously omitted the MSX2 games from the timeline, leading to the possibility of it being an error on part of the Konami staff."

No citation so I guess we have to take that for what it is.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Portable_Ops#Stance_in_canon

I guess one way to check is to see if the MGS Enclyclopedia on PSN contains the events of PO.

This I agree with. Theres a story but theres not much of it. Nothing too worthwhile, anyway.
I enjoyed the game, though. Thought it was a good first effort for portable MGS.

PO is definitely canon. I used to listen to the KP report religiously back when it was released and I'm pretty sure it was canon. People just like to shit on it as non-canon because they didn't like the story or gameplay.

1. It's a mediocre game.

Not according to the overwhelming majority of game reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-gear-solid-portable-ops/critic-reviews

And for what its worth Wikipedia says it's canon:

the first canonical outing of the Metal Gear Solid series for a portable platform, following the storyline of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.[4]

I never played it, or Peace Walker. But I keep seeing people recommending Peace Walker but never Portable Ops, so got me wondering.

Not according to the overwhelming majority of game reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-gear-solid-portable-ops/critic-reviews

And for what its worth Wikipedia says it's canon:

I never played it, or Peace Walker. But I keep seeing people recommending Peace Walker but never Portable Ops, so got me wondering.

It was awesome at the time because people were stoked to have a real Metal Gear game on the go. In retrospective, Peace Walker absolutely blows it away in production value and gameplay fun factor.

Gotcha. I liked Portable Ops a lot but they've kinda just ignored it ever since Peace Walker was announced. It is weird to me, considering they introduced some key characters in it.

With Peace Walker out it's probably a better use of time to just watch the cutscenes. The 2nd PSP outing destroys the first in every way imaginable.

BadWolf

Portable Ops is canon, as it was shown and referenced in MGS4.

It's ignored/forgotten because it is not good... in any way.

What part of it was shown/referenced in MGS4?

If the developer acts like the game doesn't exist (try finding it on the 25th anniversary timeline) then I don't consider it canon.

What!? Your username is Naked Snake and you haven't played a couple MGS games? Go out and play them right now!!! Peace Walker is best on the HD collection, but it is still playable on PSP (the Vita download version of the PSP is a little pricey, at around 30 bucks).

Portable Ops, unless you have a PSP or European Vita, you won't be able to play, but there are "movie" versions on YouTube that summarize all the important bits.

Peace Walker is integral (so it seems) to the story of Ground Zeroes.

Ugh, why can't everyone have the same opinion, life would be easier :p

Hehe. Portable Ops is good. I commend them for being able to do so much on the PSP and keep the Metal Gear feel. It gave me the sense of "whoah, I'm playing a console game on a handheld!" before Vita was a gleam in Kaz's eye. It even gave us the auto-aim mechanic that worked really well even in MGS4.

But Peace Walker simply improves on it immensely. At this point you might as well just play Peace Walker, in my opinion.

Mr. RHC

I remember liking Portable Ops sound and gameplay-wise. It didn't contribute significantly to the story since MGS4 though.

But we'll see what Ground Zeroes brings.

What!? Your username is Naked Snake and you haven't played a couple MGS games? Go out and play them right now!!! Peace Walker is best on the HD collection, but it is still playable on PSP (the Vita download version of the PSP is a little pricey, at around 30 bucks).

Portable Ops, unless you have a PSP or European Vita, you won't be able to play, but there are "movie" versions on YouTube that summarize all the important bits.

Peace Walker is integral (so it seems) to the story of Ground Zeroes.

I've been using this username since before MGS3 came out, and my gaming habits have changed dramatically since then (I find it really difficult to play games for any length of time these days)... and I never had a PSP.

But I do have the HD Collection on PS3 and I did actually start Peace Walker and did the first mission a week or two ago. I intend to get back to it and hopefully finish it before Ground Zeroes/MGSV.

BadWolf

When Eva is giving her 40min speech in the church, images from PO are shown.

Oh yeah, thanks.

The situation with the game is odd overall. They generally act like it doesn't exist (doesn't appear on timelines, wasn't included in the HD collection etc.) but at the same time they do acknowledge it in MGS4, though they do it briefly and if you act like the game doesn't exist then it doesn't take away much from the overall MGS story.

In an interview they said something along the lines of it being part of the canon but being just a sidestory, not a main story entry like the other MGS games. Overall it seems Kojima doesn't like the game, probably because his involvement with it was very small.

Oh yeah, thanks.

The situation with the game is odd overall. They generally act like it doesn't exist (doesn't appear on timelines, wasn't included in the HD collection etc.) but at the same time they do acknowledge it in MGS4, though they do it briefly and if you act like the game doesn't exist then it doesn't take away much from the overall MGS story.

In an interview they said something along the lines of it being part of the canon but being just a sidestory, not a main story entry like the other MGS games. Overall it seems Kojima doesn't like the game, probably because his involvement with it was very small.

Yeah, I'm sure that if MGS4 came out after Peace Walker, it would have been PW mentioned instead of PO.

Peace Walker

Neo Member
Didn't Snake learn about The Boss' mission during Portable Ops and then heard it all over again in Peace Walker?
My memories might be a bit cloudy, because it's been a really long time since I played PO, but I do remember Snake learning about the whole purpose of the mission, only to (re)learn it during Peace Walker.

cory64

I finished MGS4 last night, I absolutely loved it but it's probably my least favorite of the 4. Or maybe it's just in a different category than the other 3.
3>1>2
This looks like a significantly different direction for the series, and I'm pretty excited about that. There was even a preview of the gameplay in 4 :p
microwave hallway scene :'(
Guess I'll play Peace Walker and the 8 bit games next (all in HD collection), as I have no way of playing Portable Ops.

ShaunBRS

As for the "Volgin" silhouette, those two clips are from different places. The Volgin clip has rubble near his feet, while the Big Boss one has only fire.
I see what you mean with the rubble being absent in one clip, but I'm certain both clips are from the same time and place. The two people hunched over at the foot of the frame match perfectly (as do the pipes and window on the left side and the archway and door on the right). I think the missing rubble is the only thing that doesn't fit, which makes me think that clip takes place immediately after the other.

pp1frxh0.gif

I see what you mean with the rubble being absent in one clip, but I'm certain both clips are from the same time and place. The two people hunched over at the foot of the frame match perfectly (as do the pipes and window on the left side and the archway and door on the right). I think the missing rubble is the only thing that doesn't fit, which makes me think that clip takes place immediately after the other.
]

Yup, they are definitely the same place, and I think the same guy.

I'm finally coming around to the idea that this is just a brief early section of Ground Zeroes, and Big Boss is going to get someone else's arm transplanted just like Ocelot. BurnOutBrighter's video shows how this could work as a short sequence while introducing the type of bosses for this game. (Flying whales and horses on fire!)
I've always thought that following the GZ trailer, something would happen to Mother Base that means he has to start all over again, so this could be the aftermath of that while moving the story towards Africa, but how he ends up in Cyprus I can't guess.

Cyborg

pp1frxh0.gif

Def. Not the same person here. The one has much more muscles

Here is another crazy theory, what if i say that the young kid is not psycho mantis, and that maybe he can shapeshift although i don't believe it is decoy, but a new enemy. The volgin impersonator, horse rider, and whale might be the same entity. They are all engulfed in fire. Has to be a hallucination then, maybe it is psycho? Damn you kojima!

Def. Not the same person here. The one has much more muscles

He's like.. closer to the camera, and not side-on. He does looks chunkier but I think it's an illusion.

Here is another crazy theory, what if i say that the young kid is not psycho mantis, and that maybe he can shapeshift although i don't believe it is decoy, but a new enemy. The volgin impersonator, horse rider, and whale might be the same entity. They are all engulfed in fire. Has to be a hallucination then, maybe it is psycho? Damn you kojima!

I think they are both some sort of projection of the psychic character and this will be the new boss idea to replace giant A.I. robots.

Cyborg

I know for sure the whale and unicorn are hallucinations. Never saw that in a MGS game....kojima is crazy but not that crazy

Cyborg

He's like.. closer to the camera, and not side-on. He does looks chunkier but I think it's an illusion.

I think they are both some sort of projection of the psychic character and this will be the new boss idea to replace giant A.I. robots.
Look at his under arm it has much more muscles and mass

DieH@rd

Banned
This wait is unbearable. I really hope that one of those games [GZ or PP] will come out in 1st half of 2013.

Damn you Kojima, you beautiful Nordic bastard.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Portable Ops not written by Kojima? I think it was marketed as canon, but I don't think Kojima himself considers it so.

Nothing is confirmed but its safe to assume its Chico

During the PAX demo Sean Eyestone, who was Kojima's translator and is a designer at KP, said something like "We're going to get the boy in the cage, Chico".

EDIT: Beaten.

Another thing, it wasn't really apparent in the GZ trailer, but in the direct feed shots you can see the scar on his cheek:

TheLight

I had a pretty neat idea about the troops infiltrating the hospital being the troops you trained up in PW. Then I remembered that the troops in the trailer were the same as the troops with the burned face guy.

rvy

Banned
That's Gustava you fools!

No, I don't take ban bets.

It's actually Holly White, lolol

Still not taking ban bets.

ShaunBRS

Look at his under arm it has much more muscles and mass
I think it's probably more a case of the focal length of the two shots being different, distance from the camera and the character standing more square-on in one of them than there being two otherwise identical and on-fire 'Volgin' and muscle-'Volgin's in the same place at the same time.

Their eyes are lit up the same way too, though that doesn't really help continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom