• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Phantom Pain looks too good to be Vita. Vita functionality might happen or a less pretty port but that trailer we saw wasnt a Vita game.

Even Kojima wouldn't be stupid enough to release it as a Vita-exclusive game at this point. A port ? Sure, it's Kojima, seems likely.

I dont know. It feels like something that could happen. Not right now with all the other stuff hes supposedly working on, though.

Jacob4815

There was an insider in the PS Meeting thread that mentioned that Kojima is going to be there. But he didn't say if that was to present something or if he was just attending the event.

It's confirmed that the 21 February Kojima will be in Milan.

http://multiplayer.it/notizie/11437...-su-multiplayercom-per-incontrare-kojima.html

604162_536477279719782_368695101_n_jpg_270x0_upscale_q85.jpg

Dont you say stuff like this and get my hopes up for things that wont happen!

Phantom Pain/Ground Zeroes PS4 launch title!

*Kojima gets on-stage, announces exclusive next-gen version of MGS5/Phantom Pain for the PS4 and Vita to be released day-and-date with the multiplatform current-gen versions*

DO IT KOJIMA

*Kojima gets on-stage, announces exclusive next-gen version of MGS5/Phantom Pain for the PS4 and Vita to be released day-and-date with the multiplatform current-gen versions*

DO IT KOJIMA

No way in hell MGS5 is exclusive for any console, even if it's a next-gen exclusive. If third party publishers learned on thing this gen, it's that you'll make a shit ton more money with multiplatform titles.

And Sony can't afford to moneyhat an exclusive of that magnitude.

StuBurns

Banned
No way in hell MGS5 is exclusive for any console, even if it's a next-gen exclusive. If third party publishers learned on thing this gen, it's that you'll make a shit ton more money with multiplatform titles.

You don't make much more if you release in the first year. At the very most a next-gen SKU is going to sell two million copies, it's still reasonable to money hat that. It's late generation exclusives that you can't afford to compensate publishers for.

Kojima already said that the next MGS game would be playable on both platforms a la cross-play or transfarring. Granted this was prior to the GG/PP reveal and I think it was before even the Vita launched, but FOX Engine is designed to run on Vita.

papercamm

Yeah, and aside from that the Fox Engine was designed for multiple platforms. They wouldn't waste that potential.

Salaadin

Wait, so that means he can't be at the PS4 reveal event right?

He will be there...and then he will leave, hop into his transporter in the back parking lot, and then port over to Milan to meet some of his fans.

Id say that the chances of him being there are slim beause of that Milan thing...but I dont really know what Im talking about.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There was an insider in the PS Meeting thread that mentioned that Kojima is going to be there. But he didn't say if that was to present something or if he was just attending the event.

If not there in person I would at least expect a video message. Though he did appear at the NGP reveal...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone considered he could utilise some kind of flying machine?
Timing would still be pretty tight. The event on the 20th is at 6pm EST, will likely be over an hour, and Milan is way ahead of that. It's possibly but highly unlikely if he needs to be there the next day.

Kojima doesnt have to be there.

But dont expect every single megaton Sony has in the PS4 canon to be shot out on the 20th.

They will be saving a lot of games for E3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511621

Maby not a console exclusive but there will be exclusives of some type for sony with MGS5. Sony and kojima are pretty close. MGS is to playstation the same way Mass Effect is to 360. The sales are so lopsided. An exclusive MGS5 for PS4 wouldn't be surprising.

MGS4 says otherwise.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, you have to show something.
Certainly true, there will need to be games, but any 'megatons' should be saved. For example, they could show a Metal Gear game, and say it'll be coming to PS4, but save the not coming to XB3 till E3. You basically get months of discussion and debate for free.
Maby not a console exclusive but there will be exclusives of some type for sony with MGS5. Sony and kojima are pretty close. MGS is to playstation the same way Mass Effect is to 360. The sales are so lopsided. An exclusive MGS5 for PS4 wouldn't be surprising.
While I agree Sony and KojiPro have a strong relationship, and an exclusive wouldn't at all surprise me. Especially considering Rising is exclusive in Japan, with exclusive DLC in the US. However, I don't think it's fair to say the sales are skewed to Sony, as of yet, there has never been a new Metal Gear launch on both at once. The HD Collection didn't count, Rising won't count, MGS2 was later. You don't know for sure until you try.
MGS 4 is exclusive because Kojima wants it that way. According to Sony themselves, they couldn't do anything if Kojima decided to make the game multiplatform.
That is not true at all, it is a contractual exclusive.

Why? E3 is becoming less relevant every year.

Definitely not all of it. But I'm going to assume we're just gonna see one or two games on February 20th (GG's next-gen game is probably going to be the highligh reveal title like Golden Abyss was for the NGP reveal). Then we'll see a few more at GDC, and a bigger blowout at E3 with third party titles and release info.

StuBurns

Banned
Why? E3 is becoming less relevant every year.
Because it's when every website in the world will tell everyone which system is better, and the more fierce the showing on that one day, the better.

E3 is very relevant, it's the industry's time to shine in the mass media, and never is that more important than when launching a platform.

rvy

Banned
That is not true at all, it is a contractual exclusive.

I clearly remember either Tretton or some high-up at Sony saying that if Konami decided to publish MGS 4 on 360, they couldn't' do anything about it. Looking for the interview.

Best I can find in a short time:

While at TGS, Konami PR mouthpiece Yoshitaka Arai told Morningstar:

"The worldwide demand for an Xbox 360 version (of MGS4) is quite high, and it is something we are currently looking in to."

Pressed on MGS4's exclusivity and the possibility of an Xbox 360 port, Kojima reiterated that the PS3 had been chosen because he believed that the series' success had been entwined with PlayStation's, and admitted that "because MGS4 was optimised for the PS3 it is probably not possible".

Does this sound like a contractual exclusive to you?

Salaadin

Definitely not all of it. But I'm going to assume we're just gonna see one or two games on February 20th (GG's next-gen game is probably going to be the highligh reveal title like Golden Abyss was for the NGP reveal). Then we'll see a few more at GDC, and a bigger blowout at E3 with third party titles and release info.

Im thinking something similar to this too. 2/20 will be for mostly announcing specs and features, some game announcements and showings, but the rest will be saved for E3.
We also have to consider that theres more than just PS4 stuff at PS Meeting. Theres been a few hints lately that Vita news is coming and they might use this event for that as well.

I just hope they dont pull this PS Meeting off and then come out at E3 to recap what we already know. Use both events to the fullest and give us an information overload.

It would be even more awesome if he came out on stage with a blone wig. :D

"And now, Joakim Mogren, founder of Moby Dick Studios"
*blonde Kojima walks out*

StuBurns

Banned
I clearly remember either Tretton or some high-up at Sony saying that if Konami decided to publish MGS 4 on 360, they couldn't' do anything about it. Looking for the interview.
Then they lied. Phil Harrison said it was contractually locked down, and would never go elsewhere, and considering Sony also signed the film at the time, and there is a ton of product placement, and it has never been ported, despite it being an obvious and easy source of revenue, all points to Harrison being correct.

No one turns down fifty million dollars because Kojima doesn't feel like it.

StuBurns

Banned
Where? Because that directly contradicts what Sony said a few years ago.
In a video interview around the PS3 launch. I'm not going to spend hours searching the internet for it though, so believe me or not, it's up to you.

I have something though, that's easier to find. Listen to the 1up Yours podcast about the MGS4 demo at TGS, and Ryan Payton will say exclusives are a result of money changing hands behind the scenes. He doesn't specify MGS4 of course.

rvy

Banned
In a video interview around the PS3 launch. I'm not going to spend hours searching the internet for it though, so believe me or not, it's up to you.

I have something though, that's easier to find. Listen to the 1up Yours podcast about the MGS4 demo at TGS, and Ryan Payton will say exclusives are a result of money changing hands behind the scenes. He doesn't specify MGS4 of course.

Again, look at my edit. That directly contradicts what Konami and Kojima say. If it was exclusive, a PR guy for Konami Japan wouldn't even be able to say that they are looking into the possibility of releasing it for other platforms.

MGS 4 is exclusive because Kojima wants it that way. According to Sony themselves, they couldn't do anything if Kojima decided to make the game multiplatform.

Wrong. It was a contract. And look at all the sony items in the game.

StuBurns said:
While I agree Sony and KojiPro have a strong relationship, and an exclusive wouldn't at all surprise me. Especially considering Rising is exclusive in Japan, with exclusive DLC in the US. However, I don't think it's fair to say the sales are skewed to Sony, as of yet, there has never been a new Metal Gear launch on both at once. The HD Collection didn't count, Rising won't count, MGS2 was later. You don't know for sure until you try.

I guarantee you the sales for MGS5 will be heavily skewed towards playstation 3/4. Just like FF13 was and future FF's will be. It's known as a playstation game. COD and Mass Effect are the same on 360.

And Rising will count, why not? Because it's not a full fledged Metal Gear game? Doesn't matter. It occupies the universe and it has the Metal Gear name in it.

Sony had money then. Sony does not have money now. Huge difference.

Sony has money to spend. I don't know why this argument continues to be brought up.

StuBurns

Banned
Again, look at my edit. That directly contradicts what Konami and Kojima say. If it was exclusive, a PR guy for Konami Japan wouldn't even be able to say that they are looking into the possibility of releasing it for other platforms.
That's very naive of you. I suppose you believe Sony really thought rumble was a last gen feature and couldn't get it working with sixaxis even though they later told you they were lying. Or that MS was going to sell more FFXIII than Sony, even though they didn't? Or that Phantom Pain isn't a Metal Gear game?

People are full of shit, and will never tell you the truth if it's not in their best interests.

rvy

Banned
That's very naive of you. I suppose you believe Sony really thought rumble was a last gen feature and couldn't get it working with sixaxis even though they later told you they were lying. Or that MS was going to sell more FFXIII than Sony, even though they didn't? Or that Phantom Pain isn't a Metal Gear game?

People are full of shit, and will never tell you the truth if it's not in their best interests.

I can't find the interview, it's a pointless discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom