• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The physical edition of Modern Warfare 2 only has 72 MB on disc

kyliethicc

Even if you buy the game on disc, the entire game must be downloaded lol. The game is currently 103 GB on PS5 with everything installed. 72 MB is about 0.07% of 103 GB. So the other 99.3% is a download. Even tho a PS5 disc can hold 100 GB. The era of physical games is coming to a close.

Uf0wOr6.jpg

Last edited:

Codes 208

Yeah, installing games even with the disk has been the norm since the ps3 days. Blurays are too slow for data to be read apparently

Edit: I misinterpreted the context, yeah, there should still be data to be installed via the disk

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've seen this before with Vanguard and thought it was a bug or something and was gonna reinstall, showed up as 130mb I think but when you actually boot the game it's becomes bigger.
Definitely didn't download anything other then a patch which download before the install was finished.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've seen this before with Vanguard and thought it was a bug or something and was gonna reinstall, showed up as 130mb I think but when you actually boot the game it's becomes bigger.
Definitely didn't download anything other then a patch which download before the install was finished.
Yeah that screen is not the best screen to show tbh. They need to post the drive space screen

Reactions: TGO
If they want Call of Duty to be a digital-only release, which is pretty much what it actually is, then just do it! Stop wasting resources making discs and packaging that are ultimately worthless. It is almost as pointless as those games that have a digital code inside a disc case like the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla spin-off DLC. Instead of wasting money on making physical media, why not pass the saving from that onto your digital-only customers? Nah, they'd never do that. It's too much common sense for game publishers.

Banned
Come on, like any of the console manufacturers are worried about CoD leaving their platform...

no but rules are in place for everyone, and Activision are the ones now using this to sell their shitty unfinished games.

the fact that this can happen is a joke, all console manufacturers should have had a certification rule from day 1 that a retail copy of a game needs to have the full day 1 experience on the disc.

additionally day 1 patches should not be able to be bigger than a few gigabytes, if even that. if your game is so broken day1 day you need more than 2GB of data added you deserve to have a disastrous launch

but they are too big of a pussy to do it. because shitty indy and AA devs that can't code for shit would run to the platform without those restrictions, so they would coordinate that so that there's no way around it on any platform... which they'll never do.

quality standards for video games in general are so shit still

Kilau

no but rules are in place for everyone, and Activision are the ones now using this to sell their shitty unfinished games.

the fact that this can happen is a joke, all console manufacturers should have had a certification rule from day 1 that a retail copy of a game needs to have the full day 1 experience on the disc.

additionally day 1 patches should not be able to be bigger than a few gigabytes, if even that. if your game is so broken day1 day you need more than 2GB of data added you deserve to have a disastrous launch

but they are too big of a pussy to do it. because shitty indy and AA devs that can't code for shit would run to the platform without those restrictions, so they would coordinate that so that there's no way around it on any platform... which they'll never do.

quality standards for video games in general are so shit still
I totally agree, I was just making a joke about the Activision acquisition drama.

I wonder when these discs were manufactured versus when the game went "gold".

Beechos

Why even bothering printing a disc might as well just include a piece of paper with code for digital redemption.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's what happens when consoles get bigger and bigger storage. The devs pawn off data to you as downloads. If they include the full game on it, then it makes the gamer less reliant on downloads which are comprised of patches, mtx downloads, and e-store updates. If a gamer can fully play a game offline, companies limit the amount of money they can make off you.

When the game launches in a few days, you'll be downloading not only the game, but all the latest marketing pop ups about the latest trinket in the store to buy.

GHG

Beginning of the end for physical.

It's been a long time coming. Digital downloads will be next to fall.

GHG

Wait if digital downloads fall and the game isn't on the disc, how will people get access to it ?

are you saying we're close to a all cloud future ? :messenger_fearful:

Not close, yet, thankfully. But that's the next and final step they will all want to take.

Let's see if people are strong enough to tell them to fuck off, but this is modern day gamers we are talking about so I doubt it.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Last edited:
Top Bottom