• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The physical edition of Modern Warfare 2 only has 72 MB on disc

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I really don't understand your take unless the sole purpose is to have fun triggering us old fogies who like holding onto physical games for resale and collecting purposes
What do you consider old?

I'm 36.

I go full digital for gaming but buy physical games I want for collection.

I would personally love to be able to buy a physical game with a code so I could both collect the game and have the convenience of digital.

Physical games has zero value for me personally. I tend to switch between my games, and I don't want to find a new disc all the time. Also being able to digitally share with my gf so we can both play the same game at the same time is a convenience i can't live without.

I'm an old PC gamer, so there's literally nothing interesting about physical games. There's no cool manuals or anything with it anymore, only a environmental waste plastic with a fragment of data on it.

Overpaying for a physical game with 57 megs and having to install the rest by downloading? Might as well just go digital at that point.

What do you consider old?

I'm 36.

I go full digital for gaming but buy physical games I want for collection.

I would personally love to be able to buy a physical game with a code so I could both collect the game and have the convenience of digital.

Physical games has zero value for me personally. I tend to switch between my games, and I don't want to find a new disc all the time. Also being able to digitally share with my gf so we can both play the same game at the same time is a convenience i can't live without.

I'm an old PC gamer, so there's literally nothing interesting about physical games. There's no cool manuals or anything with it anymore, only a environmental waste plastic with a fragment of data on it.

Overpaying for a physical game with 57 megs and having to install the rest by downloading? Might as well just go digital at that point.
I'm about your age, and we are the baseline of what I'd consider old lol. My point wasn't that ALL old fogies prefer physical. More that I'd be surprised if there were more younger people who DO.

Thanks for elaborating, but I still don't see why you HOPE consoles go all digital. Other than the point about environmental waste (a strike against physical), seems like you'd stay privy to the benefits of digital you noted if both physical AND digital remained options.

Basically: Why you gotta hope for the demise of physical? I don't hope for the death of digital lol

How is it a sign of lazy devz and bad optimization? Agreed on it being a way to make sure Bobby gets a bigger bonus.

The installed game is around 70GB. A Blu-Ray can hold 50GB. That means they'd have to not only pay for whatever incremental cost it takes to press the data onto disc (which was already obsolete due to Day One patches and would require updates) but also the cost of an additional Blu-Ray and increase in packaging and shipment costs that brings. Some penny-pincher probably ran the numbers and found they could save X dollars by shipping this way vs not. Sure, you have to pay for server fees to get the data to the customers (or is that all on Sony?), but, again, the math is probably in favor of the way they shipped it.

One of the only benefits left of buying physical is resale opportunity--you'd lose that with no disc. The other benefit includes collecting games and their cases, which is the sentimental reason I still prefer physical. I get a stronger feel-good endogenous chemical hit when I look at my physical shelf with physical games vs artwork on a digital library browser
4K Blu-ray holds 100GB I think.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Now insert the disc with no internet and see what happens.
It installs and says complete.
Then when you launch the game it says you need to update.
Not via the PS5 notification but there's a actual splash screen.
The first 49gb is...fuck knows.
But It gets you to the menu and each mode you click on will prompt a download.

It's nothing more than an unlock key for the digital game on a disc. You'll still need that disc for authentication too, every time you want to play the digital game. Should be illegal to sell it like that.

Moses85

PS5's amazing SSD and compression tech at work, take notice Xbox.
:messenger_open_mouth:
App Reaction GIF

nemiroff

Gold Member
Having just installed 248 gbs for Blackops cold war, i'd say thats fucked up

Pure insanity bullshit.

I'm not surprised by Cold War being a huge installation when installing all of its modules. Content-wise you could say it's almost unmatched in the COD series. The zombie modes alone arguably is a complete game's worth.

Last edited:

old-parts

I do wonder if part of the laziness of CoD devs not shipping single player on disc is down to the fact that Blu-ray has hit its limit at 100GB and the entire code base is past that on many games not just this CoD.

They just aren't going to split it, so they ship one code base with the SP and MP as digital only with a licence key on disc.

BD-XL isn't even enough either regardless if its possible on consoles. A major bump in storage capacity is required if physical copies of games are still going to mean something.

Development of mainstream optical disc technology has essentially stopped, Sony still does a little R&D but only for use in archiving and its unlikely such media would be cost effective for use in a game console.

Top Bottom