• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The physical edition of Modern Warfare 2 only has 72 MB on disc

0neAnd0nly

logo-stadia.gif
Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

Should stuff like this even be legal? I'm not even saying this as a meme.
But listen, you buy a product. It's not a service. It SHOULD work right out of the box...seriously.

You're literally paying 70€ for a piece of plastic that doesn't even contain the game on the cover, lmao.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But listen, you buy a product. It's not a service. It SHOULD work right out of the box...seriously.

You're literally paying 70€ for a piece of plastic that doesn't even contain the game on the cover, lmao.
Considering it happens it's legal.

And if gamers keep buying it up, studios will keep doing it. Gamers are vocal but their own worst enemy for trends they hate. Because given history, give it enough time and the gamers will always cave in.

- $70 gaming is a rip off
- Transition from beloved discs to digital
- MTX are stupid

Considering how successful these things are now, it looks like gamers gave up fast and go with the flow.

0neAnd0nly

Considering it happens it's legal.

And if gamers keep buying it up, studios will keep doing it. Gamers are vocal but their own worst enemy for trends they hate. Because given history, give it enough time and the gamers will always cave in.

- $70 gaming is a rip off
- Transition from beloved discs to digital
- MTX are stupid

Considering how successful these things are now, it looks like gamers gave up fast and go with the flow.
That’s really just spoiled western mentality tbh. Not just gamers.

We don’t stand by what we believe in because that would be #inconvenient.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Wow. Do not really care for that series, but it still sucks. This will also be more troll bait in the future for people who would use it to bash physical buyers. Note: Not saying all or even half of digital buyers do this, I mean those who are trolls already in general.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

You pay to be able to play the game.

You can play the game after you've installed (downloaded) it.

0neAnd0nly

I mean, breaking this down further…

Digital = $70, less frequent discounts and you get nothing at all.

Physical = $70, reserve from GameStop and help brick and mortar jobs survive, more frequent discounts (will be $65 at Walmart launch day), and you get a steelbook if you pre-order at GameStop for free.

Physical still a better deal though. Make me pay $70 and I will take all its worth.

I Master l

Banned
Microsoft should figure out a way to produce a cheap 150GB, read-only version of this:

71pI5iz.jpg

Then even Series S could have physical versions of games.
Just insert your cartridge and play!

And lose the only way to expand the storage for Series X/S optimized games

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
The era of physical games is coming to a close.
Another stupid drama thread about "Let's kill physical"

Let's answer: NO, That's only an activision/call of duty problem: one of the previous entry even required an internet connection for the single player compain to activate the fucking game while having the entire data on the disc.
They just totally gave up on this one, not surprising: THEY ARE FUCKING LAZY ASSHOLES.

Glad I don't give a fuck about Call of Lazyness.
lazy the simpsons GIF

Last edited:

Goalus

Think of how much plastic was produced on this. You really have to be an inconsiderate shithead for buying physical games these days.
I was told in another thread that games on disc are supposedly more environmentally friendly because the download consumes more energy than producing the disc. Turns out that the disc version is for people who want to double down on polluting the planet.

Deerock71

Not on Switch it ain't. My gut is telling me Nintendo's physical numbers are way higher than Sony/Microsoft, but I'm too lazy to actually Google the numbers.
Well, if Nintendo gets a game 5 years late with all patches and DLC, then I'll get THAT physical version every time.

Bragr

Banned
I'm not big on physical games, but this shit outta be illegal. If someone pays for a physical game they should be able to play it without downloading anything. If that means their launch day version is missing something then oh well, that's their decision.
Yeah, missing out on one-day patches is one thing, but missing out on the entire fucking game? that's some fuckery.

Banned
Why Sony & MS create PS5 DE & XSS then?

why did they create the Series X and standard PS5 then?

this is also not just an issue with disc based games, day 1 versions also often suck ass, and with strickt restrictions on patches and day 1 downloads/discs this would change, and if developers wouldn't adapt then they would get blasted by refunds and shitstorms online, which is what they deserve

CamHostage

Sucks. The discs have been worthless for a whole in these big "Day One Patch" games where the entire game app gets replaced on day one, but not even putting any of the game on disc is pretty dirty. It's just the installer app.

As far as selling a boxed product just to own something, though, I'm actually surprised none of the consoles this gen came with a RFID readers for contactless / non-physical game code redemption. That could have transformed the game collecting market. Instead of pretending that the game is in the box, if they instead sold me a Call of Duty booklet with the code attached, that would have been something for the shelf without all the artifice of a disc and jewelcase. Or sell me a statue of Setsuna when Hellblade 2 launches, or a wallscroll with a new Dragon Ball. You'd still want a slip of some kind for your shelf, but there could be a whole new product type for redeeming digital products with physical purchases. (You could also use the contactless communication for other features, which has barely been explored in gaming so far.)

When PS5 went all-digital for half of the PS5s, that was a good chance to add a digital reader in and I'm a little surprised they didn't try something then. Nintendo has a NFC reader on its Switch, they never really did anything else with the NFC reader, (also that signal is rather basic/unencrypted and Amiibo has been hacked, but it doesn't need to be so unprotected,) but the potential to try something new and evolve the physical collector market with a new format post-BluRay is there I believe.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Absolutely wasteful on their end. It begs the question why are even bothering at this point.
Well better buying physical at a massive discount compared to digital and be able to on sell the game. I buy my games physical, I complete and sell, if I like the game, I will wait for heavy sale on PSN store and purchase again later on. In the case of multiplayer, I usually play using the disc, if I'm still playing it at the time the digital drops significantly in price, I'll sell the disc and buy the digital version for convenience, depends on the timing of course between value of the disc second-hand and purchasing digital. But I save so much money considering I purchase most new release games at launch.

(Rant Incoming..)
We have to do everything in our power to either keep physical or make console manufacturers give us more consumer rights to sell or gift digital games and not hold a monopoly on the price. They don't want discs and drives, well then let other retailers sell game codes at more competitive prices like the physical copy.

People will keep sticking their head in the sand and then wonder why the gaming industry has gone fucked!

GHound

Wait if digital downloads fall and the game isn't on the disc, how will people get access to it ?

are you saying we're close to a all cloud future ? :messenger_fearful:

And all it took was a little steam.

Funny, just like all that other thing took was a little bit of horsey armor.

Last edited:

EDMIX

smh, we need some legal thing for consumers that supports the game needs to be completed and working on disk before any download or patch takes place.

I feel someone needs to look out for consumers on this front.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If they want Call of Duty to be a digital-only release, which is pretty much what it actually is, then just do it! Stop wasting resources making discs and packaging that are ultimately worthless. It is almost as pointless as those games that have a digital code inside a disc case like the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla spin-off DLC. Instead of wasting money on making physical media, why not pass the saving from that onto your digital-only customers? Nah, they'd never do that. It's too much common sense for game publishers.

Some people wants to smell the plastic case and/or display it on their shelfs

I was going to buy the physical version just because I have so few PS5 discs, but what the fuck is the point now. If I had purchased it at least I would’ve been able to play the campaign early.

Why the fuck is this even allowed? Just get rid of physical all together at this point, sell cards, like a gift cards with codes on them if anything. Reduce the waste.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am happy for you. I can switch between consoles easily, I can preload the game, and I don't have to go looking for disk to play. Guess it's a wash?
Even worse for disc owners. Do home sharing on Xbox or PS with a friend or fam member (not sure if you can on Switch) and you both get the game for one price. For Xbox (at least), it even works for sub plans.

So those $70 games right away go down to $35. And if it's a MP game even better since you both can play together.

Disc gamers try to make it sound like they buy a game for $60 or $70 and then they are super fast and efficient gamers dumping it for $50 a month later. I bet for most of them trading in, they'd be lucky to get an average of $20 back 6 months later.

I can resell the disc

how is it that shit like this gets through certification? console manufacturers are such pussies nowadays, they let publishers do everything in the fear that they would not get ports if they don't give them free reign

Lazy Devs
Yes, I said it.
Lazy Devs and terrible optimization as well as making sure Bobby gets a bigger bonus.

Absolutely wasteful on their end. It begs the question why are even bothering at this point.

totally pointless shit.
You buy the disc to have a full game on it.... even if you had to play it patchless... so you still could.
Not like this

Good guy Activision knows downloading hundreds of GB of data is now a core part of the COD experience

Why even bothering printing a disc might as well just include a piece of paper with code for digital redemption.

Plenty of us out here that refuse to buy the game digitally. I’m only buying to play the campaign then intend to sell it on eBay.

Wow. Do not really care for that series, but it still sucks. This will also be more troll bait in the future for people who would use it to bash physical buyers. Note: Not saying all or even half of digital buyers do this, I mean those who are trolls already in general.

Another stupid drama thread about "Let's kill physical"

Let's answer: NO, That's only an activision/call of duty problem: one of the previous entry even required an internet connection for the single player compain to activate the fucking game while having the entire data on the disc.
They just totally gave up on this one, not surprising: THEY ARE FUCKING LAZY ASSHOLES.

Glad I don't give a fuck about Call of Lazyness.
lazy the simpsons GIF

Should have at least pressed the campaign on the disk. 😔

I'm not big on physical games, but this shit outta be illegal. If someone pays for a physical game they should be able to play it without downloading anything. If that means their launch day version is missing something then oh well, that's their decision.

Yeah, missing out on one-day patches is one thing, but missing out on the entire fucking game? that's some fuckery.

I was going to buy the physical version just because I have so few PS5 discs, but what the fuck is the point now. If I had purchased it at least I would’ve been able to play the campaign early.

Why the fuck is this even allowed? Just get rid of physical all together at this point, sell cards, like a gift cards with codes on them if anything. Reduce the waste.

Yeah imagine if you buy the physical game used a few years from now but they've already wiped the install files from their server. You're basically fucked.

The walls are closing in. Don't be a Jill Sandwich.

NinjaBoiX

how is it that shit like this gets through certification? console manufacturers are such pussies nowadays, they let publishers do everything in the fear that they would not get ports if they don't give them free reign
What? The game is too big to fit on the disc, simple really.

People need to chill with constantly trying to pin some kind of “angle” on things, I have no idea what this particular angle would even be! 😅

Top Bottom