• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will say this. If someone from an equally obscure part of the company I work in started emailing me directly a bunch or hounding for a job, I would probably report it to HR and contact their manager. Not that it means the person is unqualified or untalented, just that even within the company there are often ways to apply for open positions that is not emailing someone directly pictures of your cigar lighter.
What if the cigar lighter was also a cool iphone game?

I am really starting to respect these guys more and more. I figured once they started the internet pan-handling they would up production values, pander to the audience, fake enthusiasm, etc. Instead, they seemingly give fewer and fewer fucks each and every week.

Props for keeping it street.

P1P needs more Bane voice and EGM stories.

Back in my Play ended? Sucks to hear Kevin isn't feeling the passion anymore. That will make it tough for him in the upcoming Battle Royale between him, Rich Grisham and Mike-bot for the coveted P1P fourth chair.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
Back in my Play ended? Sucks to hear Kevin isn't feeling the passion anymore. That will make it tough for him in the upcoming Battle Royale between him, Rich Grisham and Mike-bot for the coveted P1P fourth chair.

Obviously it just means Kevin-bot will appear and claim victory as the previouly-unknown fourth candidate

Episode 440: What's Your Endgame?

This week! Mike returns! Plus: LEGO Dimensions, jobs at Nintendo, Small studio dreams, Pokémon Rumble World, Axiom Verge, Never Alone, Bloodborne, Grim Fandango, Agent Alice and Spotify for PS4. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/04_14_15-Episode440.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/440
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: http://youtu.be/b90Cf6ARscc
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

Thank God for mik. Shows been in a slump guys. Sorry but it's just not the same without him. Unless Rich Grisham shows up in which case it's all right.

A cool thing I didn't hear mentioned on the podcast for the Retron 5 is being able to use translation patches on import carts. Well, as long as you don't go too crazy with getting games, seemed cheap at first for 1 or 2 games until I looked at what else the seller had listed...

bSRA5Go.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It took a LONG time for the insufferable Lego talk (god, it was bad) to get to the important news regarding it and I appreciated you guys' viewpoints on just how fucking stupid it was for that dude from Polygon to do what he did. Ugh it took forever to get there though.

I know this is a stereotypical dickish Souls-fan thing to say but if you are playing Bloodborne and wanting more checkpoints the game probably isn't for you. Besides, there are quite a few shortcuts you can unlock in the first area.

I don't understand how making the game more difficult would be more respectful of your time. Wouldn't you just die a lot more which would balance out the more liberal checkpoints? Also, Bloodborne being punitive is kind of tied with its difficulty so I don't think you can separate the two that easily. As an example, the game is punitive in that it doesn't have liberal checkpoints but you only experience this because of the difficulty (which is what kills you in the first place).

As an aside, I hate how liberally the phrase "not respectful of my time" is tossed around these days. That phrase should be reserved for stuff like f2p games that give you no option but to grind for hours on end or pay money to bypass the grinding. In Bloodborne you don't have to replay the areas over and over unless you keep dying which is at least somewhat a function of skill. To be honest, I think it's remarkable how little filler Bloodborne actually has, everything feels incredibly well crafted and worth experiencing, and massive chunks of the content are completely optional.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I hope I didn't say "it doesn't respect my time." That doesn't sound like something I'd say. Mostly because I don't know what the fuck it means. I do constantly feel like I'm wasting my time, though. That's different.

Higher difficulty and more checkpoints would totally work for me, though. I stand by that. I can run a ton of fast 5Ks. But fuck running a slow marathon.

SuperPac

I hope I didn't say "it doesn't respect my time." That doesn't sound like something I'd say. Mostly because I don't know what the fuck it means. I do constantly feel like I'm wasting my time, though. That's different.

Higher difficulty and more checkpoints would totally work for me, though. I stand by that. I can run a ton of fast 5Ks. But fuck running a slow marathon.

I feel like after the first section that's how it is (or, it was that way for me, anyway). I have not spent as much time on any area in the game as I have on that first bit in Yahrnam. And the first bit got significantly easier for me after opening the doors right next to the spawn point. If you get past the bonfire regularly but not much past that, opening that will make everything better.

You're right, you mentioned that the time investment bothers you (as it relates to running areas multiple times) but you didn't actually say that phrase. My bad!

I'll tell you one thing, thinking about some of the later bosses being twice as difficult makes me want to piss my pants. You're a braver man than me!

SuperPac said:
I feel like after the first section that's how it is (or, it was that way for me, anyway). I have not spent as much time on any area in the game as I have on that first bit in Yahrnam. And the first bit got significantly easier for me after opening the doors right next to the spawn point. If you get past the bonfire regularly but not much past that, opening that will make everything better.
This is very true as well. I didn't have to replay the same area very often after Central Yarnham, the bosses became the main hurdle and there was always a fairly quick way to retry them (1-2 minute run back with a shortcut).

LiK

just listened to the Bloodborne discussion. Checkpoints aren't the issue. You need to explore and open up the shortcuts. THAT'S THE GOAL. Once you open up the shortcuts, it makes the runbacks short and easy and makes you appreciate that you just went through a tough area and can bypass them now. That's the beauty of the level design. Try again.

SuperPac

just listened to the Bloodborne discussion. Checkpoints aren't the issue. You need to explore and open up the shortcuts. THAT'S THE GOAL. Once you open up the shortcuts, it makes the runbacks short and easy and makes you appreciate that you just went through a tough area and can bypass them now. That's the beauty of the level design. Try again.

I agree - but, it is an awfully long road to that first shortcut. Especially since the path to it is hidden. Had I not read about it on GAF, I dunno if I would have gotten far at all.

LiK

I agree - but, it is an awfully long road to that first shortcut. Especially since the path to it is hidden. Had I not read about it on GAF, I dunno if I would have gotten far at all.

it's part of the fun, imo. you had this whole tense trip down this area and when you open up the shortcuts, the sense of relief is great. i'm glad you're enjoying it. I can't wait for you reach some of the later bosses, muhaha. need more impressions.

and if you do need tips or a general direction of where to go, don't worry about asking GAF. it's a great game to experience with the community like with the Souls games. hell, ask me for help if you need it. :)

ike_

I thought your Bloodborne discussion was pretty right on. Nice to hear your points of view. Glad you guys are giving it a fair shot even with those inexcusable load times.

I can't believe how far CJ is. I need to tune into a stream.

codhand

I know this is a stereotypical dickish Souls-fan thing to say but if you are playing Bloodborne and wanting more checkpoints the game probably isn't for you. Besides, there are quite a few shortcuts you can unlock in the first area.

I don't understand how making the game more difficult would be more respectful of your time. Wouldn't you just die a lot more which would balance out the more liberal checkpoints? Also, Bloodborne being punitive is kind of tied with its difficulty so I don't think you can separate the two that easily. As an example, the game is punitive in that it doesn't have liberal checkpoints but you only experience this because of the difficulty (which is what kills you in the first place).

As an aside, I hate how liberally the phrase "not respectful of my time" is tossed around these days. That phrase should be reserved for stuff like f2p games that give you no option but to grind for hours on end or pay money to bypass the grinding. In Bloodborne you don't have to replay the areas over and over unless you keep dying which is at least somewhat a function of skill. To be honest, I think it's remarkable how little filler Bloodborne actually has, everything feels incredibly well crafted and worth experiencing, and massive chunks of the content are completely optional.

this is way too in-depth of an analysis, to just be the biased opinion that it is

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish you guys all lived in the same city. I would love a video of Mike and Phil going to LegoLand together.

Wouldn't they not be allowed to go in by themselves, or together as it were? I believe they don't let older males in without a child because they're pedo-crazy.

Oni Jazar

Here's a Bloodborne tip that should make your lives easier:

If you feel like you have to go far and fight a bunch of enemies to get to the boss, you need to stop and explore the surrounding areas more.

Shortcuts in the game aren't hidden, you just need to explore all paths. If you're spending 15 minutes just to get to a boss and die you need to look around the level and see what you have missed. This is good news because exploration is one of the best parts of the game.

I will say as a souls vet that the first part, the huge bonfire area was very tough. Right away the game forces you to deal with a large amount of enemies and you as a player has no other options but to either fight them or run past.

mik

mik is unbeatable
The incentive to explore is squashed by the fact that exploring takes time--and if I inadvertently encounter a big, scary monster I can't hope to kill, I have, again, wasted a bunch of time.

LiK

The incentive to explore is squashed by the fact that exploring takes time--and if I inadvertently encounter a big, scary monster I can't hope to kill, I have, again, wasted a bunch of time.

you're a good player. you can kill it.

If you feel like you have to go far and fight a bunch of enemies to get to the boss, you need to stop and explore the surrounding areas more.

Shortcuts in the game aren't hidden, you just need to explore all paths. If you're spending 15 minutes just to get to a boss and die you need to look around the level and see what you have missed. This is good news because exploration is one of the best parts of the game.

I will say as a souls vet that the first part, the huge bonfire area was very tough. Right away the game forces you to deal with a large amount of enemies and you as a player has no other options but to either fight them or run past.

I had a ton of trouble with the bonfire too. Ended up just running through the area ignoring the enemies, which I suggest everyone else do if that section is frustrating you. Just sprint through the whole area and up to the left of the door that's being banged on, one or two guys might follow you but there's no need to fight that whole crowd.

I definitely respect CJ's gaming skills now, some of the later bosses are really hard. I'm stuck on Rom right now.

CJ, if you want more Souls after playing BB I'd go with DS1 over 2 if you have a way to play it. The design of the first half of that game is amazing.

Mudron

This. Bloodborne seems to be more forgiving than either of the Dark Souls games in that most off the bosses in BB have a hidden shortcut between them and the nearest bonfire.

Also, I was really wary of spending Insight to call in other players to help with bossfights, but after a while I realized the game wouldn't stop throwing more and more Insight at me, and so if I couldn't beat any boss in the back half of the game after 3-4 tries, I'd pretty much just automatically default to calling in help so I could keep moving forward in the game without wasting too much time.

Episode 441: Easy Mode Is Extra

This week! Rich Grisham guests to talk about Guitar Hero, Mortal Kombat DLC, Halo on iOS, various Nintendo things, Star Wars and a whole lot more. Plus: Axiom Verge, new Street Pass games, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, MLB The Show and plenty of other games are spoken about in this episode. Open up your ears and enjoy.

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/04_21_15-Episode441.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/441
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: http://youtu.be/K8ShdD20dIY
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

I'm honestly surprised how much I've heard about that MK dlc thing on podcasts this week. All this time Mortal Kombat was some respected and revered franchise and I had no idea...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly surprised how much I've heard about that MK dlc thing on podcasts this week. All this time Mortal Kombat was some respected and revered franchise and I had no idea...

Ugh, I dread listening to them talk about it.

It's real simple - sometimes you buy a game that night and want to play with your friends in the house and nobody wants to look up fatalities or unlock shit. Sometimes, SOMETIMES it's worth the $20 to just open it all up so you have a fun night. It's not a big deal.

Hope the convo in the show isn't some overwrought "and then...you can buy these easy button inputs! That's crazy!" because it really isn't. It isn't setting a precedent. It isn't anything except something most people will ignore.

Ugh, I dread listening to them talk about it.

It's real simple - sometimes you buy a game that night and want to play with your friends in the house and nobody wants to look up fatalities or unlock shit. Sometimes, SOMETIMES it's worth the $20 to just open it all up so you have a fun night. It's not a big deal.

Hope the convo in the show isn't some overwrought "and then...you can buy these easy button inputs! That's crazy!" because it really isn't. It isn't setting a precedent. It isn't anything except something most people will ignore.

Why not listen to it and then comment on it? Seems like you're going in the reverse order.

Top Bottom