• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

StevieWhite

I'm honestly surprised how much I've heard about that MK dlc thing on podcasts this week. All this time Mortal Kombat was some respected and revered franchise and I had no idea...

Not an issue on P1P, but some people seem to be ignorant of how the whole thing even works (listen to this week's 8-4 play, where they have a lengthy discussion on it, and Garnett Lee seems to just be spouting off without any knowledge about how fatalities work in general).

If people want to pay for this stuff, though, I see no problem with it... I'm amazed that anybody cares. It has ZERO negative impact on the game as a playable product.

Massa

The problem with pay-to-unlock is that it often changes the unlock progression system. Say it normally takes 50 hours to unlock the fastest car in a racing game, then they make a sequel where it takes 1000 hours... or you can pay $5. Pretty easy to see what they're going with.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was a perfect example of a terrible system. They clearly designed the progression in that game to favor microtransactions.

In MKX there's another factor which is that fatalities are part of the competitive aspect of that game. I didn't play a lot of MK9 online, but when I did the fatality at the end of a match was definitely part of it. It felt a little worse than losing when your opponent ended it in a fatality; likewise, it was always nice to execute a fatality at the end of a match and completely "finish" the other player. That aspect of competition and community is largely and negatively affected by this move imo, it's shortsighted to say it only affects those who pay for it.

Lothars

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was a perfect example of a terrible system. They clearly designed the progression in that game to favor microtransactions.

You deserved to be called out on this, Mass Effect system was perfect for the type of game, DLC for the multiplayer was free for everyone and you didn't have to buy packs with money. you could still unlock everything by playing it.

Lothars

Ugh, I dread listening to them talk about it.

It's real simple - sometimes you buy a game that night and want to play with your friends in the house and nobody wants to look up fatalities or unlock shit. Sometimes, SOMETIMES it's worth the $20 to just open it all up so you have a fun night. It's not a big deal.

Hope the convo in the show isn't some overwrought "and then...you can buy these easy button inputs! That's crazy!" because it really isn't. It isn't setting a precedent. It isn't anything except something most people will ignore.
It's bull that they are releasing packs of easy fatalities, it's not a good system for them to release and they are trying to nickle and dime some people.

I don't get how you can defend them for this.

StevieWhite

It's bull that they are releasing packs of easy fatalities, it's not a good system for them to release and they are trying to nickle and dime some people.

If people are willing to pay for it, why shouldn't Netherrealm sell it? I'll agree that it's a stupid purchase, but I don't see how they are trying to "nickle and dime" anyone. I don't see this as any kind of grand moral failing. The game plays exactly the same as it always has. If stupid people want to shell out cash for the ability to do fatalities, so be it. Those people are getting what they paid for, and nobody else is getting hurt by it. The game still functions exactly how you'd expect it to otherwise.

Massa

You deserved to be called out on this, Mass Effect system was perfect for the type of game, DLC for the multiplayer was free for everyone and you didn't have to buy packs with money. you could still unlock everything by playing it.

I was talking about the progression system. The progression was slow and random and clearly incentivized the purchase of packs. I played the game for 20 hours and barely made any progress at all because I got useless packs most of the time. It was that frustrating design that lead a lot of people to buying those gambling packs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While I don't care about the MK thing, I would ask Greg a hypothetical about a game he likes. What if Forza 6 added microtranscations so that you had to buy rewinds to use during races? Instead of letting you rewind for free, you have to earn rewind tokens in the game and choose when to use them. Or you could buy a pack of 30 rewind tokens for 5 bucks.

stewy

While I don't care about the MK thing, I would ask Greg a hypothetical about a game he likes. What if Forza 6 added microtranscations so that you had to buy rewinds to use during races? Instead of letting you rewind for free, you have to earn rewind tokens in the game and choose when to use them. Or you could buy a pack of 30 rewind tokens for 5 bucks.

Forza 5 was riddled with microtransactions. I believe mostly in the form of in-game currency and boosts so you could buy cars faster, rather than earning said currency at the regular speed. And, again, it didn't bother me one bit. I didn't use it, but I could see why some people would.

Forza also locks content behind a pay wall. There are certain cars you just can't have without buying them outright.

stewy

In MKX there's another factor which is that fatalities are part of the competitive aspect of that game. I didn't play a lot of MK9 online, but when I did the fatality at the end of a match was definitely part of it. It felt a little worse than losing when your opponent ended it in a fatality; likewise, it was always nice to execute a fatality at the end of a match and completely "finish" the other player. That aspect of competition and community is largely and negatively affected by this move imo, it's shortsighted to say it only affects those who pay for it.

Sorry, but you're making it sound like the affect it has on others is hurt feelings.

Am I missing something? Do you lose something tangible if your opponent performs a fatality on you? If not, I stand by my original point :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sorry, but you're making it sound like the affect it has on others is hurt feelings.

Am I missing something? Do you lose something tangible if your opponent performs a fatality on you? If not, I stand by my original point :)
You are not missing anything.

But the feeling that you just got pwnz0rd by someone that only pressed R2 X at Mid screen vs someone that could pull off the very complex <- -> <- X at Mid screen is destroying the video game industry or community or something.

Massa

I think you're missing my point entirely, yes.

Having a fatality performed on you or vice versa was something that was part of the competitive element of the game. Winning was even better when you performed one, same with losing. Now that it's a paid unlock that doesn't apply anymore. Got a fatality on you? Big deal, I guess they have $20.

You may think it's a minor element of the game, but the competitive aspect of these games is very much tied to psychological things like that. It's why I don't play them anymore. :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I don't see any issue really. Nothing to attack them for.

I think you're missing my point entirely, yes.

Having a fatality performed on you or vice versa was something that was part of the competitive element of the game. Winning was even better when you performed one, same with losing. Now that it's a paid unlock that doesn't apply anymore. Got a fatality on you? Big deal, I guess they have $20.

You may think it's a minor element of the game, but the competitive aspect of these games is very much tied to psychological things like that. It's why I don't play them anymore. :p

I've played for a few hours, I have a couple characters I love and it's very easy to remember some button inputs.

L-O-L

Press some extra buttons, use your brain to remember. Not that bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Forza 5 was riddled with microtransactions. I believe mostly in the form of in-game currency and boosts so you could buy cars faster, rather than earning said currency at the regular speed. And, again, it didn't bother me one bit. I didn't use it, but I could see why some people would.

Forza also locks content behind a pay wall. There are certain cars you just can't have without buying them outright.

I think the fatality microtransactions is more in line with f2p mechanics - like paying for rewinds - rather than paying for cars or more characters. The consumable nature of it is what makes it sound more scummy anyway, since the whole point of those types of transactions is to exploit as much as possible from the player.

I think the problem is a lot of this is personal. I remember people hating Real Racing 3 on iOS for its micro-transactions and f2p stuff, but the way I played that game, I never was ever tempted to pay. And, because it is f2p, I got probably 10+ hours out of that game without paying a cent.

With Mass Effect, I did hit a wall, and I bought one of the random packs as a trial, and I got a real crappy present that totally turned me off from the game forever.

I miss cheat codes in games a lot, and I wish we still had game genies and gamesharks without the fear of risking account bans or locked consoles (this is why I love PC gaming and emulation. I bought Saints Row The Third on PC because I wanted to cheat and goof around with it. Same with XCom). And, I hate the selling of codes as a substitute like I think one of the Tiger Woods golf games did.

But, I don't get the Mortal Kombat complaints. If someone can't pull of a fatality by pressing or memorizing a complex series of buttons, I don't see how that takes away from someone who can other than a weird snobbish attitude of "I can do it and you can't. I'm better than you!". I would think being able to win the fight is the real competition, but I also don't get fighting games and especially the community that surrounds them.

So, I don't know. Like I said, I think a lot of this stuff is personal and each individual tolerates different things than others. I know lots of people and devs (cough cough) like coin doublers in mobile games, but I think they're total garbage and balance the game to them as the default and not to those without the doubler as it should be done.

But, the cat is out of the bag on this, and you can blame Greg for buying that horse armor!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think the fatality microtransactions is more in line with f2p mechanics - like paying for rewinds - rather than paying for cars or more characters. The consumable nature of it is what makes it sound more scummy anyway, since the whole point of those types of transactions is to exploit as much as possible from the player.
How is it anything like rewinds.

Please be very specific in the comparison and not more hand-waving how it's like rewinds. Compare the actual button inputs or menu points.

It seems you either have absolutely no clue about how fatalities work or you don't know how rewinds work or you don't know how anything works.

But, I don't get the Mortal Kombat complaints. If someone can't pull of a fatality by pressing or memorizing a complex series of buttons, I don't see how that takes away from someone who can other than a weird snobbish attitude of "I can do it and you can't. I'm better than you!". I would think being able to win the fight is the real competition, but I also don't get fighting games and especially the community that surrounds them.
This is the difference based on the character I like the best:

Easy Fatality (obtained using the in-game store or unlocked by playing): Hold R2 and press Square.
Normal Fatality (can be looked up in the move list and memorized or made so it's constantly visible in the top of the screen): Back, Forward, Back, Back.

stewy

Except as far as I know fatalities aren't locked behind a paywall. How is that even remotely the same as the "pay to rewind" situation you're describing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, if you have to pay to do a fatality (if you're that incapable) then you PROBABLY can't even win a match to do it.

Episode 442: Back When Reboots Took 10 Years

This week! Silent Hills is canceled, Telltale does Marvel games, GameStop selling retro games and systems, COD BLOPS 3, movie reboots and much, much more. Join us, won't you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/04_28_15-Episode442.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/442
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: http://youtu.be/VcCZx8irQoA
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/p1podcast

eznark

Banned
For Love of the Game is fantastic, significantly better than Bull Durham, which is just a garbage Susan Sarandon vehicle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First 10 minutes and I never want to vacation with CJ ever. Not that I would be in that position but...

Criminal that neither Rich or Kevin stepped in for Phil. Imagine the Fast and Furious conversations we could have had!

Speaking of, Rich Grisham strikes me as a Ladybugs man for favorite sports movie

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Major League is hands down the best sports movie of all time. Any Given Sunday is excellent. And yes Just One of the Guys holds up well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
On the bright side, at least Mike didn't give his nephew Modnation Racers. What a steaming pile of shit.

I was going to post a video or lyrics of a song, but after much searching I might be imagining the entire thing. Wasn't there a reggae-ish song with a guy in a deep voice going "here I come in the belly of a whale" or something? Man, I could have thought that existed. If not, I've been misremembering a song since I was a child, because I still think that song up in my mind from time to time.

Anyway, Michael senpai fucks fish.

There's no way Phil misses the next show. No way, no how.

The universe may collapse if Phil doesn't appear on an episode that will be recorded for Monday May 4th.

PS- I wish the three other hosts infinite patience and well-wishes for surviving the experience.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
There's no way Phil misses the next show. No way, no how.

The universe may collapse if Phil doesn't appear on an episode that will be recorded for Monday May 4th.

PS- I wish the three other hosts infinite patience and well-wishes for surviving the experience.

My young Obi-Wan voice is primed and ready to go.

SickBoy

To clarify for Greg, the nature of that copyright infringement notice he received:

Under the notice-and-notice system, copyright owners are entitled to send infringement notices to Internet providers, who are legally required to forward the notifications to their subscribers. The notices must include details on the sender, the copyright works and the alleged infringement. If the Internet provider fails to forward the notification, it must explain why or face the prospect of damages that run as high as $10,000. Internet providers must also retain information on the subscriber for six months (or 12 months if court proceedings are launched).
ISPs do not have the right to pass along personal information connected to the IP address where the notice was sent, meaning that copyright holders are still required to obtain a warrant for this information before pursuing a case against an individual or group.

https://openmedia.ca/blog/did-canadian-downloaders-just-get-new-rules

Episode 443: That Real Arcade Feel

This week! Konami continues exiting console gaming, Ouya seeks a buyer, Mighty No. 9 gets a date, Yooka-Laylee lights up Kickstarter, Batman Arkham Knight does its DLC thing, and Tamagotchi comes to the Apple Watch. Also: Axiom Verge, Retron 5, Puzzle & Dragons Mario Edition Demo, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, Bloodborne, Broken Age, and Sasha Darko’s Sacred Line Genesis. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/05_05_15-Episode443.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/443
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/player-one-podcast-video-games/id202883543?mt=2
Youtube: https://youtu.be/oiGjSBEyCZk

All those people freaking out about P.T. But where were you when Sony announced PSmobile titles won't be downloadable anymore? I don't see Patrick Klepek writing stories about Adventure Bar Labyrinth!

First they came for psm and no one spoke up because no one cared :(

Cathcart

I stopped listening to P1P and other gaming podcasts a couple years ago when I got caught up in LoL but I recently pulled my head out of the sand and I'm happy to see you guys are still going strong. Love this podcast, and now I've got a ton of old episodes to listen to.

I may have missed it, but did Greg ever get around to trying Final Fantasy Type 0? I was thinking about picking it up after my recent trip to Japan made me nostalgic for some FF and I don't think I want to play XIII. If there's an episode where you talked about it I definitely want to check that out.

Episode 444: All About That Forte

This week! PT goes poof, new Xbox One SKU, Nintendo turns a profit, Oculus coming to the consumer market in 2016, IGAvania happening, Splatoon Global Testfire, Does Not Commute, Ether One, Roundabout, Crusader of Centy, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Mega Man & Bass, Race the Sun, Unfinished Swan, Murasaki Baby, and Wolfenstein The Old Blood. Plus an interview with Nate Serefine of Operation Supply Drop. Join us, won’t you?

Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/playerone/05_12_15-Episode444.mp3
Blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com/444
Youtube: https://youtu.be/jRRrvTJ_wcE

fnvu2vu.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
...CJ's PS4 HD tale is horrible. Horrible people are expected to do that. Hopefully they allow easy plug and play external support.

Neifirst

Regarding the hard drive situation - couldn't you just move your game saves to the cloud or a small usb key and then re-download the titles already purchased through PSN? It would be annoying to do all that re-downloading, but at least you wouldn't need a 3rd hard drive.

LiK

Regarding the hard drive situation - couldn't you just move your game saves to the cloud or a small usb key and then re-download the titles already purchased through PSN? It would be annoying to do all that re-downloading, but at least you wouldn't need a 3rd hard drive.

this can be done. but CJ has a bandwidth cap so red/ling all those games and updates is probably too much for him.

SuperPac

You could, yes. I couldn't, because of fun "test market" bandwidth capping...but hey. :\

I guess my hard drive upgrade story came out sounding more difficult than it actually was? I didn't need any additional hard drive because I had an external that had my PS3 backup on it. And I had a USB key for the firmware. It was way easier to open up than the PS3 and I didn't strip the screws or anything.

CO_Andy

Is there a reason why Stewy you would choose the Genesis controller over the Sega Saturn?

Just checked the OP, and wow is it outdated. It lists Greg Ford as still a member lol.

Top Bottom