• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Playroom: amazing DS4 & PS4Eye tech demo

halfbeast

Banned
So it's like a much improved EyePet thing that was on PS3, where you could draw an airplane and stuff for it to interact with?

My younger nephews fucking loved that thing.

AR is neat to think about but I've yet to see it used in any really meaningful way that I actually care about.

yeah, but in eyepet you could draw shit on a piece of paper and the eye would scan it. now you need an expensive tablet.

...TEH FUTURE!

genjiZERO

See the thing about EyeToy Kinect or whatever I think this is really about as advanced as it posible for the tech without some sort of feedback device attached to your body

Looks really, really neat but I doubt we'll ever see much in game use of this. Sony needs to find a gem of a game to pack this with EARLY in the life cycle to move units. Like, at launch preferably. The later it happens the less likely we are to see more cool stuff later.

I have to admit, I want one - if there's at least a couple of cool games for it.

imperium

Looked pretty cool. Seems like a no brainer to include a code with the eye to download that demo. A pity Sony didn't include the camera, I don't see many developers using it.

Raoh

Oh shit that was dope.

1. Robots in the controller (Nanomachines) LOL

2. When he was flicking the robots out of the controller into the world I thought, "What a great avenue for a new immersive Raving Rabbids game"

3. When I do the stuff we saw with move and the pseye on the engadget show with the maps and stuff?

Noirulus

Its really cool tech, but since the camera doesn't come with the system I don't see its potential been used.

This flared a thought into my head. Didn't one of the official Sony website PDFs back in February point out that the PS4Eye would be standard with the system? I'm thinking that they backed out of that decision at the last minute to lower the burden of selling the console at $399.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They should include this with the eye or on the store. They always show off these cool fun tech demos and never really put them out there. It would be good for people to get their hands on and be able to contribute their own ideas and get a feel for it. It could be similar to the welcome park on vita, and throw in some trophies and such.

NoTacos

To be honest im more likely to get a PS4Eye than a second controller now.

I know it was a demo, but I still want it.

Shinypogs

That playroom stuff should come bundled with the PSeye. I doubt fleshing out any of the tech demos would make for a game the majority of people would want to buy but it'd be neat to mess around with from time to time. Hell if they fleshed out the Asobi demo to something like a more engaging version of the eyepet I'd probably buy it if it was a 15-20$ downloadable title.

That said I'm glad the new pseye isn't mandatory because while there will be some neat stuff developed for it I don't think there will be enough justification for it's existence at launch. Allowing people to pick one up when they are ready/ when enough studios have produced compelling content is preferable.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Its really cool tech, but since the camera doesn't come with the system I don't see its potential been used.
Like I said earlier, put this demo front-and-center on a PS4 kiosk and I bet you'd move a fair few PSEye units.

As a big fan of Move and the PS2 Eyetoy, I love it. I really hope more people get the camera this time around so we get more support.

Success

The greatest feat of the Xbox One so far? Getting people to like everything about Sony, including the PS Move.

I know, it is rather mind blowing when you think of it.
It is like Microsoft was on a suicide mission to make Sony look good and diam did it work...

-
Success

Sorc3r3r

Very cool demo.
But as awesome as this looks, the applications for core gaming are really few in my opinion.

But for my kids this is a very nice concept i think of preordedring one a this point.

Bradach

thank god the camera feed is the same resolution as the AR bots. the two different resolutions used to irritate me playing eye pet on the old PSeye.

Was it mentioned if the old PSeye will work for any PS4 move games?

DBT85

thank god the camera feed is the same resolution as the AR bots. the two different resolutions used to irritate me playing eye pet on the old PSeye.

Was it mentioned if the old PSeye will work for any PS4 move games?

I doubt it, old camera is one camera, new camera is 2 cameras and better specced.

Sorral

Made this gif yesterday:
pseye2gpkr3.gif

These robots are just cute/hilarious...The above moment is after he stopped kicking them.

Much like the kinect... impressive tech, not sure how it translates to fun though. But, I'll gladly plunk down the $60 if/when they give me a software based reason to.

Raist

Banned
Made this gif yesterday:
pseye2gpkr3.gif

These robots are just cute/hilarious...The above moment is after he stopped kicking them.

I like the one on the bottom right corner looking like he's having a look through the TV before waving back at the dude.

They've always had neat tech demos like that. They should really give these guys a bit more power and make some kind of mini game collection to pack in with the camera. I wonder if Richard Marks and Anton Mikhailov still work with them.

dosh

I like how the lightbar reacts to being blocked by the player's hand. That could be a nice touch in a survival horror game.

But I suppose the PS Eye is required to do that?

This shit always looks better from that perspective. Kinect, Move, had them all ... while this overlay stuff is 'neat' ... the novelty wears off very quickly.

This is so crazy to me that we have this amazing technology and yet no one is really building games around it or for it.

You can do most of that stuff already with the PlayStation Move.

Just seems like no publisher is willing to invest that heavily into such a small market of move player. But I really hope someone does at some point and it takes off.

I would love to see this tech used in cool ways in larger games. (Imagine examining objects in skyrim or small games like surgery simulator with this tech)

Top Bottom