• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokemon Series Could Still Learn From its Original Entries

It’s that time once again where the drip feed of a new pokemon generation begins, leading to what will almost certainly be another journey through a region containing 8 gyms, and some sort of villainous team that want to use the box legend to aid in whatever nonsense scheme they’re concocting, and that's fine by me for the most part.
Sun and Moon may be the future, but as of late I wager a number of us instead looked to the past with the recent virtual console releases of the 1st Generation Pokemon titles. Though antiquated and fundamentally flawed in ways, I have to admit that I enjoyed this trip back down nostalgia lane way more than I expected to and part of that is because despite the many advances the series has taken over the years, there are some things about the original adventure that still hold strong to this day that the series could do well to draw from.

UwdDN1p.gif

Kanto’s gradually opening map structure
I think I made a big post about this way back when the Pokemon community threads around here were in their own first generation which is lost to the deep depths of GAF and didn't gain much traction. Fortunately upon bringing up this point briefly again recently posters like Revven and GSnap elaborated on it in the current Pokemon red/blue/yellow OT so I'm now convinced I'm not crazy.
So to reiterate...

Kanto may not be the flashiest region but it’s not just remembered for nostalgia purposes alone. Adventure is an important element of these games and exploration with options is a big part of what makes things more adventurous. Kanto guides the player on a rather linear journey through the game’s first half, a bit of back tracking every now and then that helps make the world that much more connected but otherwise it does a good job of keeping players knowing where to go.
The Rock Tunnel area almost feels like a graduation ceremony where upon emerging the other side in Lavender town the game begins to let go a bit. The map doesn’t fully open up until you deal with some events in Celadon City, namely getting the Silph Scope and going back to Lavender Town to tackle the Pokemon tower. Still the brief gap between these events leaves more routes open to the player to discover (albeit both of them end with a Snorlax) and the fourth gym to tackle if you so feel like it.
When you’re handed the pokeflute to move Snorlax’s progression preventing backside from the equation it’s like getting the keys to the Kanto kingdom, combine this with a glass of fresh water for the Saffron City gate guards and there’s a sudden sense of freedom in how you choose to tackle some of the game’s upcoming events.
Typically I’ll rush down cycling road to get to the safari zone early as possible, some may begin to tackle Saffron’s Silph Co and others may choose to soak up some exp battling the long path down from Lavender Town, maybe they want the Super Rod, I didn’t so I just bypassed the whole route entirely.
Rushing down to Fuchsia can also net you the HMs for Surf and Strength and the appropriate gyms locking the usage of these abilities are ready to tackle. Basically by the time I went to do Silph Co I had already gone to scoop up Articuno from the Seafoam Islands.
For another example maybe a Blue version player wanted Magmar and took a quick trip down from Pallet to Cinnabar to nab one as early as they could and just skip Seafoam entirely.

Times have changed now, the modern games seem to fear kids getting lost or confused as to where to go which has slowly led to the game progression becoming increasingly linear. Many paths blocked off with random events (Black2 even has a bit of fun with this, random dudes just dancing in the middle of the path because FUCK YOU) or a greater swath of HM gating (Looking at you Sinnoh).
Which ultimately led to the otherwise decent and quite varied Unova region of Gen 5 having the most bland map layout possible in its original state, at least what I can say here is that they used HMs as the tool for optional exploring as opposed to main game progression but the point still stands that is choice of map structure tended to leave a negative response no matter how much Unova had in it even before the sequel expansion.

Would it really be asking too much to have the freedom to explore once more beyond the halfway point of the game? A region map that neatly connects back on itself so backtracking without Fly is something more feasible and also doesn’t require dragging an HM slave around to ensure you can re-smash that one rock that manages to keep blocking a specific path?
I think the Sinnoh region was stung by this the most of all because the region itself is teeming with the potential of exploration but ultimately railroads you through.
Put it this way, in Gen 1 a Lapras is forced on the player as a reward for slogging through the majority of Silph Co’s rocket gauntlet. In Gen 6 Lapras is forced upon the player because there’s a small section of water to cross and the game is going to teach you how to surf by force.

y8xxBfv.png

repels effect wore off

The Caves of Endurance
Now admittedly I think we all shudder at this, I don’t think anyone leaps for joy at going through Mt Moon or Rock Tunnel, the fact that they have Pokemon Centers by their entrances pretty much sets the tone.
Still there’s something to take away from these tiring treks and that’s preparation. The Pokemon series throws all manner of items at the player yet how often does anyone ever need to bust out an ether to restore PP, contemplate escape roping back out to recover instead of losing half their money or just be prepared with antidotes and potions in general?
Why back in my day you got poisoned and feared its lingering effects, you stocked up on antidotes to ensure your pokemon didn’t faint slowly and painfully as you scrambled through the dark. These days though your pokemon gets poisoned and it represses the effects outside of battle thus kinda defeating the point, it even wears off when they would otherwise faint. Poppycock I say, on top of this while there’s still plenty of caverns to clamber through in the series to this day they basically come across more like mild inconveniences, I’m just saying there isn’t anything wrong with testing the player, it builds character and makes the items and general economy worth more (well I think they even dialled back on how much money you lose for whiting out but even so).

Most caves in the series now are something of a blur, they don’t have that enduring legacy. Most of the ones I remember come from Black because the game was quite smart about making them visually interesting (Twist Mountain) or having unique pokemon instead of Zubat by the bucketload (see Chargestone Cave and its unique electric focused lineup).
Now I’m not saying that I want a plethora of tedious caves to endure but I am saying that gauntlets like Mt Coronet are something of a rewarding experience in themselves.
Right now I can’t even recall the main caves of Kalos, there was the reflection cave and one that I sloooowly rode a Rhyhorn over to?

ZvGy9Z7.png

2: The most ineffective trainer battle placement in the series

More optional areas in the main game
Obviously saying that modern Pokemon games have no optional areas would be pretty silly, the post game tends to rely on such things.
Still that’s the post game, when it comes to the main game it’s never quite the same deal.
Kanto has Seafoam Islands and the Power Plant as optional areas with notable rewards (some TMs, items and Legendary Birds). Johto is practically the king of this throwing places like Mt Mortar, Ruins of Alph, Dark Cave and Whirl Islands in plain sight of the player’s standard journey yet you don’t even have to venture through any of them if you’re not invested in what secrets they hold (and lets face it, Mt Mortar is a horrendous troll, hope you had a slot ready for the not so legendary Tyrouge, yeah I’ll just surf on past this one).
This once again steps back to that exploration point, you have options here to investigate these places or go and discover them, alternatively you might just think “screw it” and just carry on.
Now it’s not so much a case of these sort of areas no longer existing, going back to an earlier point Black/White used HMs as the optional tool to discover these sort of locations and nab some special pokemon like those musketeer chaps and the Larvesta egg.
Sinnoh while mostly doing its work in the postgame has bits and pieces like Iron Island and the Old Chateau as well, though of course the latter’s main draw with Rotom is once again post game content making an earlier visit less fruitful
It’s more that these sort of areas seem to be less in focus, not to bag on Kalos again but it didn’t have much to offer here as I recall, even one of the more seemingly interesting optional routes discoverable quite early on in the quest turns out to just be the stopping point for a post game legendary bird after you’ve encountered it seven or so times.
I guess my point here is to tease more locations that are worth exploring during the main game not for progression but for rewards. How about instead of just giving the player a Mega Lucario you have an area nearby where you’ll get one at the end if you actually want it?
(of course it's also worth saying here that Gen 1 has anaemic post game content but hey it was their first swing at this)

7BEEGLv.png

A worthwhile Safari Zone
Let’s not underestimate the appeal of the original Safari Zone, it was a treasure trove of rare pokemon with most of them native to the area only obtainable within. You came across a Tauros and It felt like a big deal, even when you weren’t encountering the rarest beasts you were at least seeing ones that didn’t reside elsewhere like Rhyhorn and Exeggcute and as a bonus the levels were high enough to match your team at the time. It’s like a win/win situation. Lob in some TMs, Rare Candies and you have a safari stew going.

When the Safari Zone returned in Hoenn it was already showing signs of being a shade of its former glory, bike exclusive areas and pokeblock gimmicks aside there was a lack of excitement by comparison, look I like Xatu and all but when that’s one of your big draws along with wheeling Pinsir back out like he’s new and exciting then the lustre is somewhat lost.
Still Hoenn’s safari zone was a treasure compared to THE GREAT MARSH.
God damn does the Great Marsh of Sinnoh blow chunks, a Safari zone where what few rare and unique pokemon reside there are determined by daily chance, a safari zone filled with the same pokemon squatting in every other route, just in case you missed your 100th chance to catch Bidoof or Budew or Starly, AWFUL.
The lack of any more in Gens 5 and 6 makes me wonder if they forgot how to make the zone an appealing change of pace to bolster your dex. The solution of course is right there in Kanto.

I’d add something about podding starts and difficulty but that’s like a whole thread to itself, I’m just going to say the new EXP share is great but please actually balance the game around it next time.

By the way this thread shouldn’t be viewed in a “Gen 1 is the best, new games smell” kinda way because that’d just be a flat out lie, mechanically each generation improves on the last yet it’s almost like at the expense of that the actual adventure becomes more constricted. I just want Sun/Moon to hit a home run where I can get all the finely tuned updated mechanics and QoL improvements alongside a region I get to explore and where I don’t need to be forcefully told how to use a pokemon center or play alongside “friends” that I really don’t care for.

FSLink

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/

Part of the reason why Pokemon games are becoming more inviting is because they must compete against a raft of other products, many of which are given away for free on smartphones. That's according to veteran Pokemon developer Junichi Masuda, co-founder of Pokemon series developer Game Freak, and a person who has been involved with the popular brand since its inception.

Basically everything you listed that you enjoyed in the older games isn't likely to come back since they feel the need to make the games easier/more streamlined. :/

Unfortunately they're looking to streamline these games more and more. The only way these games will have the challenge of previous versions is through limiting yourself with challenges. (nuzlocke, no exp share, minimal healing ect)

True Fire

I just wish that they would break free from the same old formula. Pokemon has so much storytelling potential that it will never reach because every generation after generation 2 was an imitation of the original instead of a proper sequel.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth told a really touching story with Rated T themes, but it didn't betray the franchise in the slightest.

They should bring back limited Backpack space too
Now I don't even believe you took the time to read old Owl's propositions with talk like that.

....Or maybe it would teach kids how to prioritize, yes excellent idea!

Didn't even mention the greatest Safari Zone, HG/SS.
To be honest all I remember is some gimmick involving lumping squares together and it being infinitely more of a post game thing.

Fuck the safari zone. It;s a good thing that piece of crap is dead.

If I could throw rocks right now...

Didn't even mention the greatest Safari Zone, HG/SS.

HGSS's Safari Zone is FAR from great. It's a piece of shit system that relies on you wasting so many days, in conjunction with having the right blocks and safari panel set-up in order to get Pokemon you want. The number of days is arbitrary too, there should be no reason why it takes 120 days for Gible to show up.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'll add that there probably hasn't been a better team than Team Rocket. All the subsequent ones had a variation of the same motivation. Let's use legendary on the game's box to do X.

I'll add that there probably hasn't been a better team than Team Rocket. All the subsequent ones had a variation of the same motivation. Let's use legendary on the game's box to do X.

Team Rocket is pretty stupid with their motivations and aspirations. At least some of the later team were built with much better motivations and goals (Team Plasma and Emerald's Aqua/Magma conflict comes to mind).

Wiseblade

I've met children who got lost playing Diamond/Pearl, so I understood and accepted Game Freak's move to make Pokémon games more linear. Honestly, I think more was gained than lost.
Team Magma/Aqua as portrayed in Emerald or the Team Plasma of Black/White blow them out of the water.

Revven

Unfortunately they're looking to streamline these games more and more. The only way these games will have the challenge of previous versions is through limiting yourself with challenges. (nuzlocke, no exp share, minimal healing ect)

I mean this doesn't even really go into the difficulty of the games. It's literally about more freedom where the regions, instead of funneling you forward linearly the whole way through, at some point they give you some choices on what you want to do via exploring. That's not tied to difficulty (though it can be if you go somewhere you're not prepared for).

Meffer

I do agree that the next region should open up in terms of exploration and what paths to take. The last few regions were way too simple.
But for the love god don't block areas with needed HM moves.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HGSS's Safari Zone is FAR from great. It's a piece of shit system that relies on you wasting so many days, in conjunction with having the right blocks and safari panel set-up in order to get Pokemon you want. The number of days is arbitrary too, there should be no reason why it takes 120 days for Gible to show up.

Take the time to set it up properly and you gain access to dozens of Pokémon. It's fun too to get it just right, and it doesn't take very long at all.

Glix

They should stop making the twin games mirrors of each other.

Have one for the noob and one for the vet.

That would be cool.

Voltorb Flip is 100x better than all of the awful slots they've had in the series. It's fun and has actual skill involved.

I liked the idea that the slots were rigged because they were run by Team Rocket.

I always liked the roulette table anyway, but I'm a bit biased.

Perhaps once they get streamlined to the max, there will be a time and place for a pokemon game that pays homage to it's roots. A more hardcore version. I can see that happening. Perhaps a remake of the originals but for the hardcore only, which would fit along with the demographic for a remake of those games. I think the hardcore crowd definitely accounts for a lot of the strength of the heartbeat of the series, with the competitive aspect and such

Meffer

They should stop making the twin games mirrors of each other.

Have one for the noob and one for the vet.

That would be cool.
They actually did that with BW and 2. Black had harder optional areas while White had easier optional areas.

I've met children who got lost playing Diamond/Pearl, so I understood and accepted Game Freak's move to make Pokémon games more linear. Honestly, I think more was gained than lost.

I had a friend who got lost in Johto which is pretty impressive.

D/P did have a pretty large map and required kids to remember a fair amount of specific HM usage spots so this one isn't too surprising.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Team Rocket is pretty stupid with their motivations and aspirations. At least some of the later team were built with much better motivations and goals (Team Plasma and Emerald's Aqua/Magma conflict comes to mind).

They're dumb, but they get an arc that gets resolved in the second game where they kinda realize they're dumb and come to terms with it. Also, they don't want to fuck up the entire world for reasons.

JazzmanZ

Now I don't even believe you took the time to read old Owl's propositions with talk like that.

....Or maybe it would teach kids how to prioritize, yes excellent idea!

I did read it, it's a decent write up, you explain how you want a more open region to explore, memorable caves and a Safari Zone that lives up to the Kanto version.

I'd like some of it back too, but todays young gamers are treated as too stupid and the 'this could be their first game' clause Nintendo likes to do sometimes, which is why tutorials are shoved down our throats and we're given a hand holded walkthrough.

Spaghetti

Playing Blue again, I really enjoyed how much of a 'pure' experience it was. It was really low on distractions and the bullshit that never caught my attention in any of the later games.

I did read it, it's a decent write up, you explain how you want a more open region to explore, memorable caves and a Safari Zone that lives up to the Kanto version.

I'd like some of it back too, but todays young gamers are treated as too stupid and the 'this could be their first game' clause Nintendo likes to do sometimes, which is why tutorials are shoved down our throats and we're given a hand holded walkthrough.

I'm sorry I doubted you Jazzman.

I'd figure that if you streamline these sort of things too much then kids just wouldn't get engaged with the product full stop but I suppose its different from when I was first playing this series and that's not the case, am I so out of touch?

...No, it's the children who are wrong.

I think each generation has lessons to teach, so it's cool to see a nice breakdown of Gen I's lessons.

I do, however, despise the Safari Zone, and as time progresses the more I hate it. I never want to step in the Safari Zone again, especially since Shiny Pokemon are a thing now and the thought of being unable to capture one due to a loss of agency would probably make me quit the game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also a lot of your complaints are addressed by a fairly recent set of games (well, in the grand scheme of things) B2/W2 have enormous dungeons, have you going all around the map, feature tons of optional areas.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The fact that they are making the game easier and easier will end up doing more damage to the series as they are not teaching players to think since they are straight up holding their hands the whole way through.

The Hoenn remake pretty much shows this.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/

Basically everything you listed that you enjoyed in the older games isn't likely to come back since they feel the need to make the games easier/more streamlined. :/

Yeah, I fear that one day I will buy the latest Pokémon game boot it up and be greeted to the hall of frame just for pressing start.

They should bring back limited Backpack space too

Fuck no, going limitless was a good thing.

I just wish that they would break free from the same old formula. Pokemon has so much storytelling potential that it will never reach because every generation after generation 2 was an imitation of the original instead of a proper sequel.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth told a really touching story with Rated T themes, but it didn't betray the franchise in the slightest.

Pokémon is not a T rated game and has no desire to be one.

Bring back the gambling minigames. The fuck is this Minesweeper nonsense?

hqdefault.jpg

The game corner has not appeared in the series since the Johto remake and won't be for the foreseeable future.

Nope, Team Plasma and Galaxy have surpassed Team Rocket.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Safari Zone was RNG hell. Nothin' fun about spending hours trying to get the pkmn exclusive to it an failing. They should just make Safari Balls purchasable in shops an wash their hands of the concept entirely (assuming they haven't already done so).

The Safari Zone is, was, and always will be terrible. Let me catch Pokémon in my own time and using my own skills, not with shitty arbitrary requirements getting in the way. Getting rid of it is one of the best things the series ever did.

Completely agree with what you're saying about the region's layout, but I still hate caves. Maybe if they looked more interesting?

My favorite thing about replaying Red is the old dialogue trainers give. Like the dude who tells you that light year is a unit of distance. Maybe this stuff is in X and Y, but I just mash past it because it's surrounded by so much crap.

As far as accessibility is concerned, I'm over the moon with some recent accessibility measures. Changes to the EXP Share are FANTASTIC and make the game more fun for everyone of my friends, for instance.

I do feel there is a loss of agency, however, which troubles me. Being forced to battle the title legend in HGSS really bothered me (among not being able to buy Slowpoketails or Rage Candy Bars in bulk) and seeing the rival teleport me around in the ORAS felt like a band-aid for Hoenn's unintuitive map design.

So there can be some more elegance to accessibility concerns, but the fact that they're designing the game to be accessible to "people who have never played a video game before" makes me very happy. Accessibility should be a higher priority for more games, and I'm glad Pokemon is leading the charge.

I think each generation has lessons to teach, so it's cool to see a nice breakdown of Gen I's lessons.

I do, however, despise the Safari Zone, and as time progresses the more I hate it. I never want to step in the Safari Zone again, especially since Shiny Pokemon are a thing now and the thought of being unable to capture one due to a loss of agency would probably make me quit the game.

My first shiny was a Nidorino in Fire Red. I was just searching for a Chansey with Lcuky Egg when the Nidorino came up.It was my most nerving pokemon experience because I could lose my first shiny pokemon ever just because I decided to throw a rock, or it didn't want to be caught.I was freaking out and my cousin still laughs about it up to this day 10 years later about how frantic I was acting.

I forget exactly how I caught it, but I ended up successfully having my first shiny pokemon.

Take the time to set it up properly and you gain access to dozens of Pokémon. It's fun too to get it just right, and it doesn't take very long at all.

How is setting up and waiting 120 days for Gible or 90 days for Riolu fun? It's tedious and unnecessary. IIRC, Larvitar doesn't even come close to taking that long.

At least some of the other Pokemon you can get are much easier and less time-consuming to acquire.

Pokemaniac

They're dumb, but they get an arc that gets resolved in the second game where they kinda realize they're dumb and come to terms with it. Also, they don't want to fuck up the entire world for reasons.

The first sentence of that description could just as easily apply to team Aqua and Team Magma. Also, Team Plasma isn't just randomly trying to mess up the world. They're a somewhat more militant PETA which is attempting a coup.

Meffer

Completely agree with what you're saying about the region's layout, but I still hate caves. Maybe if they looked more interesting?

My favorite thing about replaying Red is the old dialogue trainers give. Like the dude who tells you that light year is a unit of distance. Maybe this stuff is in X and Y, but I just mash past it because it's surrounded by so much crap.
IMO, they should take inspiration from the Golden Sun series in terms of environmental puzzles for caves and other areas.

The Safari Zone is, was, and always will be terrible. Let me catch Pokémon in my own time and using my own skills, not with shitty arbitrary requirements getting in the way. Getting rid of it is one of the best things the series ever did.

It was completely optional (wait, was it? I can't remember), so how can it take anything away from the game experience as a whole? It was a completely fresh way of capturing pokemon, and was connected to the rest of the game because you get to keep these mons. If you felt forced because you had to catch em all, that's a self imposed disappointment. It really made the zone feel like it's own world, and fleshed out the world itself to me

Meffer

Thats fantastic that they see it is needed. Now they should take the full step.
I actually agree that would be the best option in terms of introducing difficulty options. That'll also let them see if its popular enough in terms of sales.

I also think the series has got far, far better at doing caves. The only cave in the past few games which isn't far more interesting than any in Red and Blue (with the possible exception of the Seafoam Islands, which at least have the water and Strength puzzles to recommend to them) is Clay Tunnel- all the others over the past few generations have been sparingly used, and are differentiated in far more fundamental ways than the RBY caves.

Caves like Chargestone Cave or Reflection Cave are well done because they're visually interesting and have unique Pokémon to challenge the player (wild Shadow Tag Wobbuffet brrr), not because they're long and convoluted, throwing endless Zubats and Geodude at the player.

Mt. Moon and Rock Tunnel are famous and lasting because they're in the original, not because they're well-designed or organically challenging.
It was completely optional (wait, was it? I can't remember), so how can it take anything away from the game experience as a whole? It was a completely fresh way of capturing pokemon, and was connected to the rest of the game because you get to keep these mons. If you felt forced because you had to catch em all, that's a self imposed disappointment. It really made the zone feel like it's own world, and fleshed out the world itself to me
It wasn't optional in RBY, no- you have to go through into the depths of the Safari Zone to get both Surf and Strength, and unless you know exactly where to find the items you will run up against the step limits several times.

Also, if you want to collect Pokémon, it's mandatory. Good luck getting your Chansey.

Drago

You needed to go through the Safari Zone to get Surf in the original games. You also got the Gold Teeth in there which you needed for Strength.

I think that's the only time it was ever necessary for game progression though, I wouldn't mind it's return even though I'd more than likely just end up avoiding it unless they put in new Pokemon that could only be found there.

FSLink

Banned

Not really optional if you wanted to get a Chansey or some other rare Pokemon. It basically is just a really bad game of RNG. It's a self imposed disappointment, but there's quite a few Pokemon that are really really good in the Safari Zone, and you're forced to deal with what's basically a "throw and pray" gameplay. It has no depth, anything worthwhile is likely to run if you throw a rock or something. The atmosphere was cool but I'm not opposed to them trying to do new things with it, because the gameplay was extremely lacking.

And yeah you had to go through it to get Surf.

Not really optional if you wanted to get a Chansey or some other rare Pokemon. It basically is just a really bad game of RNG. It's a self imposed disappointment, but there's quite a few Pokemon that are really really good in the Safari Zone, and you're forced to deal with what's basically a "throw and pray" gameplay. It has no depth, anything worthwhile is likely to run if you throw a rock or something.

And yeah you had to go through it to get Surf.

aren't there chanseys in mewtwo's cave ?
but yeah safari sucks

Top Bottom