• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokemon Series Could Still Learn From its Original Entries

Ansatz

Times have changed now, the modern games seem to fear kids getting lost or confused as to where to go which has slowly led to the game progression becoming increasingly linear.

Games today that aim for mainstream audiences must give instant gratification. If players experience the slightest bit of frustration or confusion they'll put it down and that's very dangerous because of all the readily available distractions we have nowadays.

Streamlining will only get worse so it's best to accept it and try to find solutions that satisfy both needs, for example how Nintendo platformers are usually easy to beat while going for full completion is where the depth lies.

Pokemon's overworld structure will likely remain essentially a straight path from start to finish. They give you the illusion of a big world with many paths but they introduce roadblocks everywhere. Exploration then comes from wide-linear area design, so within a route/cave/forest you have branching paths and stuff but there is only one entrance and one exit.

They're dumb, but they get an arc that gets resolved in the second game where they kinda realize they're dumb and come to terms with it. Also, they don't want to fuck up the entire world for reasons.

Their arc is pretty crappy though. They didn't pose much of a threat, nor acted as equals (like say N was to Hilbert/Hilda) to your player character, and when it came down to it, they didn't do much in Gen II either. As much as I love Gen II, Team Rocket is the weakest aspect of the game. Moreover, N's side of Team Plasma didn't try to fuck up the world, they wanted to make people consider what was being done to Pokemon.

You could argue that Cyrus and Team Galactic were trying to fix mankind's problems rather than fucking up the world (granted, he wanted to recreate the world, but only because of how humans were acting).

Nanashrew

Banned
Bring back the gambling minigames. The fuck is this Minesweeper nonsense?

hqdefault.jpg

I don't believe gambling will ever be returning. I believe Game Freak and TPCi don't want to come under any fire for having gambling, like slot machines, in their games.

On topic: I agree with the region layout and wanting it more open, for more exploration. I'd love to take a couple of alternate paths now and again. However, I do wonder how they would handle a deeper story with that. Pokemon Black and White were pretty fleshed out story wise because of the linearity. But if they are returning to their roots, I guess that also might not matter a whole lot.

Also yes, to more explorable side content. Caves also need a makeover in how they look. We need more variety and mystery to them. Give me some lava caves, ice caves, water caves, just something else besides the normal caves we always explore.

Sometimes I think back to Johto and Mt. Mortor and how it seems like a normal cave with water, but you can't go anywhere but go to the other exit. It was a mystery to me. You can travel along route 47 so easily but there's this mountain just there and seemed like there was no real meaning to it but a shortcut around some trainers. If you investigated further, you'd find a waterfall and when you finally get that HM you just have this feeling of wanting to go back there and investigate. It has a whole maze up there! And you're in a new interior cave called waterfall cave. Lots of surfable waterways, waterfalls and strength puzzles That was fun, even grueling for endurance.

Kinsei

Banned
I don't believe gambling will ever be returning. I believe Game Freak and TPCi don't want to come under any fire for having gambling, like slot machines, in their games.

It's not that they don't want to come under fire, it's that they don't want to have to edit the European version to comply with PEGI. Gambling instantly bumps the rating up to 12+ IIRC.

doofy102

Man, I fucking loved going to the first town in Black after getting Surf and finding a whole optional path with islands and shit.

Wiseblade

If there's one thing I want brought back from Gen I, it's a rival I hate for the right reasons. Blue was an absolute scumbag who seemed to live for nothing but messing with you. TWICE you bump into him in areas occupied by Team Rocket and he ignores them to pick on you. No matter how many times I slapped him around, he still felt one step ahead.beating him in the Pokémon League felt like finally settling an age old grudge.

Gen IV's Barry and Gen V's Cheren are good rivals too, but they're just too friendly. Gen III's Wally doesn't show up nearly enough for my liking and is never a real threat. Silver and What's-her-Face from Kalos are the worst. I want someone who shows up at the worst possible moment and makes me sweat. Someone I won't let myself lose to.

Meffer

Games today that aim for mainstream audiences must give instant gratification. If players experience the slightest bit of frustration or confusion they'll put it down and that's very dangerous because of all the readily available distractions we have nowadays.

Streamlining will only get worse so it's best to accept it and try to find solutions that satisfy both needs, for example how Nintendo platformers are usually easy to beat while going for full completion is where the depth lies.

Pokemon's overworld structure will likely remain essentially a straight path from start to finish. They give you the illusion of a big world with many paths but they introduce roadblocks everywhere. Exploration then comes from wide-linear area design, so within a route/cave/forest you have branching paths and stuff but there is only one entrance and one exit.
It's area more apparent now since in new games, routes and are in their own individual area and going to a new area loads it up. In the earlier games going from route to route and/or town was seamless.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The first sentence of that description could just as easily apply to team Aqua and Team Magma. Also, Team Plasma isn't just randomly trying to mess up the world. They're a somewhat more militant PETA which is attempting a coup.

I'll give you that they had one of the better motivations.

doofy102

If there's one thing I want brought back from Gen I, it's a rival I hate for the right reasons. Blue was an absolute scumbag who seemed to live for nothing but messing with you. TWICE you bump into him in areas occupied by Team Rocket and he ignores them to pick on you. No matter how many times I slapped him around, he still felt one step ahead.beating him in the Pokémon League felt like finally settling an age old grudge.

Gen IV's Barry and Gen V's Cheren are good rivals too, but they're just too friendly. Gen III's Wally doesn't show up nearly enough for my liking and is never a real threat. Silver and What's-her-Face from Kalos are the worst. I want someone who shows up at the worst possible moment and makes me sweat. Someone I won't let myself lose to.

Yeah. I've been thinking lately that a Pokemon game's story should really centre on a hot-blooded rivalry. That should be the ONLY ongoing "story rule". Gen 2 did pretty well too with your rival being a scary hostile criminal. I think that's the only thing they needed to keep from gen to gen. The rivalries don't even need to about being the Elite 4 chamption, either. Why couldn't we have had, maybe, more of a globe-trotting game where we were racing "Gary" to find a legendary pokemon or something?

I like the idea of the Safari Zone, but I've never liked the execution. The mechanics are different and fresh, but almost never in a good way. I'd like to see more events like the Bug-Catching Contest spread about the regions in lieu of a proper Safari Zone, to be honest.

Meffer

I like the idea of the Safari Zone, but I've never liked the execution. The mechanics are different and fresh, but almost never in a good way. I'd like to see more events like the Bug-Catching Contest spread about the regions in lieu of a proper Safari Zone, to be honest.
DPPt Safari Zone is the worst one out of all of them. It was in an annoying swamp, the Pokemon selection was pointless since you could get them in the routes near it and the Pokemon exclusive to it wasn't worth it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Safari Zone is a weird one cause I can't say I particular liked any of them. I would still like to see them try more ideas with it though. The rock and food throwing of the original was a real pain, especially trying to find and catch a Chansey. Their spawn rate is higher in some areas and you don't want to waste any steps. So I mostly tapped the D-pad in each direction without moving from place to find Pokemon, and that was boring and tedious.

I just wish that they would break free from the same old formula. Pokemon has so much storytelling potential that it will never reach because every generation after generation 2 was an imitation of the original instead of a proper sequel.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth told a really touching story with Rated T themes, but it didn't betray the franchise in the slightest.

They tried with Black/White, but as it's expected of the pokemon franchise, they dropped it for BW2, XY and ORAS.

Dishwalla

Banned
The Safari Zone was a neat feature, it's all about luck. It only costs 500 dollars a go, or just over two Poke Balls, and sometimes you can get super lucky and catch a Scyther and a Tauros and a Kangaskhan in one go, and sometimes you are lucky to get a Paras. Pretty good mechanic that Safari Zone.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The Safari Zone was a neat feature, it's all about luck. It only costs 500 dollars a go, or just over two Poke Balls, and sometimes you can get super lucky and catch a Scyther and a Tauros and a Kangaskhan in one go, and sometimes you are lucky to get a Paras. Pretty good mechanic that Safari Zone.
Imagine meeting a shiny Pokemon in RSE.

The lesson from the Safari Zone isn't to recreate the Safari Zone - it's to try and come up with an interesting new way to capture Pokemon. Removing the battling aspect was interesting - I'm sure GF could come up with something similarly intriguing if they put their minds to it.

Nanashrew

Banned

I think that's why I sometimes have some issues with the original. Pokemon can already be pretty luck based with the capture rates, and that adds on another layer.

The lesson from the Safari Zone isn't to recreate the Safari Zone - it's to try and come up with an interesting new way to capture Pokemon. Removing the battling aspect was interesting - I'm sure GF could come up with something similarly intriguing if they put their minds to it.

I'd say more options in the menu besides throwing food and rocks. Maybe given different foods that have different effects, like a food that calms the Pokemon down or makes the Pokemon drowsy. I'm mostly spit balling here, but something like that would increase capture rate and reduce frustration.

kiguel182

Playing Blue again, I really enjoyed how much of a 'pure' experience it was. It was really low on distractions and the bullshit that never caught my attention in any of the later games.

I'm noticing this too. The games have way less bloat compared to the new ones. It's refreshing.

I mainly agree, with the caveat that a hot blooded, head-to-head rivalry is not the only effective way to do it. If you're willing to stretch the definition, by far and away the most effective post-Blue rivalry was, for my money, the one with N- it's more of an ideological conflict than a traditional rivalry, but it felt meaningful all the way through, N repeatedly presented a significant challenge, and properly climactic in a way that they hadn't really tried since the originals. You never hate N, but you still want to beat him- particularly when the context is the pair of you pitting Legendaries off against each other.
I'm not sure I'd go for that so much as providing new contexts and challenges to achieve through the standard format.

Basically, I want them to bring back and expand the Bug Catching Contest concept.

Do we really need HMs? Can't we have a Pokemon game where the water type naturally knows how to surf and the flying type knows how to fly without needing to waste space?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The one thing I remember from Gen 1 (and 2) (and this is impossible to recreate admittedly) was this "air of mystery". The internet was in it's infancy and so was I, so the whole game seemed like the biggest thing ever to me. Every cave seemed like it had so many secrets and who knows which pokemon will be around the corner?
Of course there was this whole "Mew" thing but that wasn't even the only thing. I still remember all the rumours like "Oh, you can catch that ghost in Lavandia, but only if you..." "If you do x you can actually revive the Pokemon in the Tower and they all gain ghost-powers" "You need to defeat the Top 4 with all 150 Pokemon and when you get back to your house there is a *blue-mouse Pokemon* there (I forget what it was called, but it was in the anime at the time)

Ah, those were the days. So do that I guess. Stuff the games full of mysteries. I'd buy that, and I haven't bought a pokemon game since the GBA ones.

doofy102

The one thing I remember from Gen 1 (and 2) (and this is impossible to recreate admittedly) was this "air of mystery". The internet was in it's infancy and so was I, so the whole game seemed like the biggest thing ever to me. Every cave seemed like it had so many secrets and who knows which pokemon will be around the corner?
Of course there was this whole "Mew" thing but that wasn't even the only thing. I still remember all the rumours like "Oh, you can catch that ghost in Lavandia, but only if you..." "If you do x you can actually revive the Pokemon in the Tower and they all gain ghost-powers" "You need to defeat the Top 4 with all 150 Pokemon and when you get back to your house there is a *blue-mouse Pokemon* there (I forget what it was called, but it was in the anime at the time)

Ah, those were the days

Every generation or two, there's that game. The one everyone goes completely weird over. Pokemon Red, Mario 64, GTA San Andreas.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I hated the last rivals. There just wasn't any sense of competition.

Nanashrew

Banned

Ah, those were the days. So do that I guess. Stuff the games full of mysteries. I'd buy that, and I haven't bought a pokemon game since the GBA ones.

I liked gen 3 and the Regi Pokemon. That was really mysterious and required you to do some detective work reading braille.

I'm not sure I'd go for that so much as providing new contexts and challenges to achieve through the standard format.

Basically, I want them to bring back and expand the Bug Catching Contest concept.

Well, yes I agree. I totally forgot about the Bug Catching Contest but that is fantastic. And the Safari Zone is kind of total bullshit to actually play!

I was thinking they could have some sort of nature trail where you need to track Pokemon via footprints and calls. Would be a good use of the ever-changing fidelity of Nintendo's handhelds.

nubbe

The best thing about RBY for me is the lack of IV a natures
You just use the pokes you want and don't need to worry about shitty stats and soft reset and breed for hundreds of hours
of complete wasted time

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I liked gen 3 and the Regi Pokemon. That was really mysterious and required you to do some detective work reading braille.

I really like the mysterious stuff too. Loved the Unown stuff in Gold and the lore behind their legendary trio. For the Regis though, how many people do you think figured out the solution on their own?

Nanashrew

Banned
I really like the mysterious stuff too. Loved the Unown stuff in Gold and the lore behind their legendary trio. For the Regis though, how many people do you think figured out the solution on their own?

Probably not many. Even I had to have a guide to understand it.

saska

What? I thought everyone did. There was a braille alphabet guide in the game manual.

Zomba13

Didn't the game manual have the braille alphabet in the back of it? Or am I completely misremebering?

What made Safari Zone work was there wasn't that many Pokemon.

Safari Zone doesn't mean much in a game with over 700 pokemon since it's not probable anyone is going to catch them all anyways. Back when the entire point was catching all Pokemon, safari zone had an actual purpose. When there's over 700 Pokemon, there's going to be rare and undiscovered Pokemon period. The only point of a Safari Zone then is to be a catch all place like the Veldt in FF6 where you can conveniently fight Pokemon you've fought before but maybe didn't get the chance to catch, and if you did, you let them evolve or go.

I can only agree with all of these points. I love Sinnoh to pieces but boy was that game obnoxious with the HM's needed to get around, I'm not shocked at all that people got lost, I got lost on occasion and I had a bloody strategy guide sitting nearby. I miss when the Safari Zone really mattered, you felt like a hero when you told kids you caught a Chansey or a Tauros.

Though I don't really seem them going back to this stuff sadly.

Tambini

Safari Zone is cool but the % chance of the hard to find Pokemon combined with how hard it is to catch them in the safari zone is bullshit. I think finding a Tauros is like 1%

This was only a problem for a small amount of people who wanted to catch them all, but still bullshit

FSLink

Banned
Safari Zone doesn't mean much in a game with over 700 pokemon since it's not probable anyone is going to catch them all anyways. Back when the entire point was catching all Pokemon, safari zone had an actual purpose.

With online trading nowadays, it's actually not that difficult at all.
But it also makes the Safari Zone kinda useless. Why spend hours trying to catch a Tauros or some shit that's "Safari-Zone exclusive" when I could just trade for one?

nubbe

What made Safari Zone work was there wasn't that many Pokemon.

Safari Zone doesn't mean much in a game with over 700 pokemon since it's not probable anyone is going to catch them all anyways. Back when the entire point was catching all Pokemon, safari zone had an actual purpose.

indeed gen 7 will probably have 800+ pokes and I will never bother to catch 600 of them and not even look at a Safari Zone unless it hides something really special

With online trading nowadays, it's actually not that difficult at all.
But it also makes the Safari Zone kinda useless. Why spend hours trying to catch a Tauros or some shit when I could just trade for one?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the amount of Pokemon there are now in general.

Back during Blue/Red/Yellow most Pokemon felt like they were there for a reason. Each new Pokemon made their Pikachu, their Pidgey, their Butterfree. There were some duds in the original like Dugtrio but they were exceptions. Now there's too many and with so many to catch, very few of them actually feel special.

Pokemon should follow SMT's example and keep a regular, consistent number of 400-500 or so monsters to catch, and if there's any repetition, to not use the old ones, but replace it with a new one for that entry. Make 100 new Pokemon each new game, keep only 400 old Pokemon that make sense regarding the regions locale rather than trying to shove every Pokemon into one game.

Some people use the (incredibly dumb) argument that 800 or so Pokemon is fine because it's "realistic" and reflects the amount of species in real life, but let's be real. Pokemon is a video game, and having almost 1000 to catch is overkill, overwhelming, and extremely full of baggage. Pokemon Company would do much better to make a new way of catching Pokemon, like talking to them SMT style and flesh out older Pokemon than continue to be in the creative rut they are in regarding Pokemon creation where they apparently NEED to make a new Pidgey each new game or some shit.

But Pokemon fans are sluts for it and don't give a shit, so I don't ever expect it to change.

Wiseblade

The best thing about RBY for me is the lack of IV a natures
You just use the pokes you want and don't need to worry about shitty stats and soft reset and breed for hundreds of hours
of complete wasted time
Gen I has its own equivalent to IVs and natures are one of the best things to happen to Pokémon.

I wish Nintendo would cater to the two fan bases through separate game entries. Have an easier streamlined game for kids and new players but also alternative titles for older fans. The originals are still much more difficult then any of the sequels.

Gsnap

Oh dang, featured. Yeah, playing through these games again is making me love Kanto's layout as I said. Hopefully the new games will give us some of the old magic along with all the great new additions they've brought. The multiplayer and the collecting aspect gets better and better every gen, but the single player seems to get worse and worse. Too linear, too absurd, less intriguing.

3 things I want from the single player of the new games:

1. Simplify. Don't simplify all the great extra features. Don't "go back to the original 151" like some weirdos keep saying. Just simplify the plot. As the plots of modern pokemon games get more and more absurd I feel more and more detached from what's going on. Focus more on my character and his/her pokemon journey. Gotta catch 'em all! Gotta be a pokemon master! Build an adventure around the concept the entire series is based on. Make the evil team a much smaller part of the game, or just get rid of them entirely if you can. Sure, I'd like to meet cool characters, sure I'd like to unravel some mysteries about a legendary pokemon, but keep the focus on my goals as a pokemon trainer, and build a simple, but enjoyable narrative out of that. One of the things I like about Team Rocket is that they're just thugs. Their leader is Al Capone, not Darkseid. They extort people, pokemon, and businesses for money. They own a dirty casino. They're not trying to flood the whole world, or threaten everything on a galactic scale. They didn't secretly build a giant castle underneath the pokemon league and then raise it out of the ground at just the right moment.

2. Go back to Kanto-esqe openness, possible even allow me to choose my starting town, and go the various gyms in various orders. Pokemon is just a numbers game, so it should be easily possible for them to tweak the levels and states of wild pokemon, trainers, and gym leaders in order to allow the player to choose which town they want to start in, or which order the want their journey to go in. If I want to start in the "grassy plains" town with mostly normals and flying pokemon, then fine. If I want to start in the coastal town with lots of water types, then fine. One of the biggest problem with starting a new pokemon game is knowing that your early team is just gonna be a bird, a bug, and some kind of rodent. Scale the levels based around where I first start, and the order I get badges in. If that's too much, I understand. So if it can't be done this way, then go back to the Kanto way. Linear for a few gyms, then open afterwards.

3. Mix up the starters. There is no reason other than tradition to stick with the fire/grass/water starters. Yeah, in theory it teaches you about type effectiveness, but it doesn't actually work because there are far, far more types than those three. The game doesn't actually tell you every type matchup until you fight them. Sure, I can intuit that electric beats water, but I can't do that with fighting and flying. It's not intuitive that ground is immune to electric, but rock is neutral. So teaching players about those 3 starting types doesn't actually matter because the player still either has to look up everything else on their own, or just play through, read the text, and learn as they go. Make more interesting, more various starters. They don't even have to be a rock/paper/scissors trio either, because again, that stuff doesn't matter in the long run. They could possibly even have different trios of starters depending on which town I decide to start in, leading to even higher variety and personal choice in your adventure. And for the love of god give them better abilities.

Again, I like the new games. But I like them for their quality of life improvements in building teams, multiplayer, and post game content. The initial single player mode is just a drag and I hope they mix it up.

FSLink

Banned
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the amount of Pokemon there are now in general.

Back during Blue/Red/Yellow most Pokemon felt like they were there for a reason. Each new Pokemon made their Pikachu, their Pidgey, their Butterfree. There were some duds in the original like Dugtrio but they were exceptions. Now there's too many and with so many to catch, very few of them actually feel special.

Pokemon should follow SMT's example and keep a regular, consistent number of 400-500 or so monsters to catch, and if there's any repetition, to not use the old ones, but replace it with a new one for that entry. Make 100 new Pokemon each new game, keep only 400 old Pokemon that make sense regarding the regions locale rather than trying to shove every Pokemon into one game.

Most of the recent games actually do only allow maybe 200-300 Pokemon or so that makes sense with the locale, with the rest of them available in post-game. X/Y was the only one that kinda shoved tons of Pokemon everywhere.

There's a few duds per gen, and there's some really nice new ones.
Some people use the (incredibly dumb) argument that 800 or so Pokemon is fine because it's "realistic" and reflects the amount of species in real life, but let's be real. Pokemon is a video game, and having almost 1000 to catch is overkill, overwhelming, and extremely full of baggage. Pokemon Company would do much better to make a new way of catching Pokemon, like talking to them SMT style and flesh out older Pokemon than continue to be in the creative rut they are in regarding Pokemon creation where they apparently NEED to make a new Pidgey each new game or some shit.

But Pokemon fans are sluts for it and don't give a shit, so I don't ever expect it to change.

I do agree yeah that they need to slow it down, and they don't need a new bird every damn time. I feel like Mega Evolutions were a way of making older Pokemon in line with the newer ones strength wise.

I liked how Black and White did it personally. All new Pokemon outside of Pikachu until the post-game felt really close to Red/Blue in that everything felt "new" and you had to discover what each Pokemon did. It was much preferred over having to see Tentacools and Zubats again.

Top Bottom