• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Politics of Blonde White Women as Right-Winged Figures

EDIT: Sorry about this being a top-of-page post. I seem to be having bad luck with that lately :(

What affiliation is that @BakedAlaska shithead? People like him and people who look like him make me nervous.

*checks*
Oh, you mean people with face fuzz?

I assumed you meant something like this:
amish-beard-6.jpg

It's weird: I've glanced at Fox News for some moments, and I was able to see more blondes on there. The exceptions were one black woman, one Hispanic and one brunette.

I wonder if anyone had asked these "journalists" face to face as to why that is?

a lot of "white latinos" do believe in white supremacy: they consider themselves to be "Europeans living in the New World" rather than "latinos", because that'd be saying they have mixed blood and of course they don't want to admit that. It's all about "racial purity", so the mestizo plebs that make up the majority of society can't get to the top.

Latin America was built on that shit: the more pure-blooded European you were/are, the higher your position on the ladder was/is. If you were of mixed blood... well, tough luck. And god forbid you had native and black blood running through your veins.

What's funny/sad about this is that "whites" still don't consider them white.

lenovox1

Doesn't surprise me that they might have a fetish for black men.

So can blonde men. They're just around the same looking white people their entire lives.

It's weird: I've glanced at Fox News for some moments, and I was able to see more blondes on there. The exceptions were one black woman, one Hispanic and one brunette.

I wonder if anyone had asked these "journalists" face to face as to why that is?

Many of them probably went blonde for the job. These are college educated women; they know what's up.

dlauv

This has been pretty obvious, but the author of the article puts it very well into words.

America has always idolized certain phenotypes over others. A blonde woman is like baseball and apple pie. That kind of classic Americana imagery is what Republicans always push to exhume and purport to represent.

Fox is just obsessed with the image to the point of where it's telling (and grotesque). Ultimately, for the network, I'm sure it's symptomatic of the money trail.

mantidor

To be far she is named after a black soccer player

omg Samus is named after Pele!? Now this is the truly mindblowing thing in the thread.

The pictures in the OP are too photo shopped to be taken seriously, even if there is an obvious idealization of the blond hair the evidence is not really that strong to make a case of actual "aryan master race" agenda, I mean lets look at Sarah Palin vs Hillary Clinton for instance.

Lois_Lane

omg Samus is named after Pele!? Now this is the truly mindblowing thing in the thread.

The pictures in the OP are too photo shopped to be taken seriously, even if there is an obvious idealization of the blond hair the evidence is not really that strong to make a case of actual "aryan master race" agenda, I mean lets look at Sarah Palin vs Hillary Clinton for instance.
Hillary Clinton openly chilled at black churches while Sarah Palin lived in almost the whitest state in the union. Blonde can only help so much.

Kinokou

Some of those smiles look so white that I believe they would light up blue under fluorescent light, just like Ross in that Friends episode.

Metroxed

a lot of "white latinos" do believe in white supremacy: they consider themselves to be "Europeans living in the New World" rather than "latinos", because that'd be saying they have mixed blood and of course they don't want to admit that. It's all about "racial purity", so the mestizo plebs that make up the majority of society can't get to the top.

Latin America was built on that shit: the more pure-blooded European you were/are, the higher your position on the ladder was/is. If you were of mixed blood... well, tough luck. And god forbid you had native and black blood running through your veins.

This is actually very spot-on. The Latin American society still follows the hierarchical racial structure set by the European empires that ruled their land. Despite mixed (European and indigenous) mestizos being the absolute majority in most countries, there's a scary overrepresentation of white people in media (take a look at news reporters, telenovela main characters, etc.) and politics.

The thing is, race and class are pretty much intermixed in the Latin American society. White people there often hold the economic and political power and belong to the upper middle class and upper class. The more "European" you are, the better off you're regarded in society, and thus people of Amerindian descent (who are still at the very bottom of the hierarchical system) try to "convert" themselves into mestizo by adopting mestizo cultural values and sometimes rejecting their own indigenous culture. This was very clear to me when I lived in Bolivia; if a person lived in the countryside, dressed traditionally and followed certain cultural customs, they were considered indigenous, but if that same person (or their children), moved into a urban area, adopted mestizo cultural trends (which almost always means adopting Western-based cultural elements: music, movies, fashion etc.) and spoke Spanish exclusively, they would be considered mestizo, thus climbing up in the racial-class social system. Interestingly, as a result of having more indigenous people claiming to be mestizo, more mestizo (particularly those who are light-skinned) started claiming to be white/European, also in order to climb up and disassociate themselves of those of lower classes. That's why in countries like Bolivia, while there are actual European populations living there, many people who self-declare as white would not pass as such in other countries (particularly Europe or North America).

You only need to see Latin American media to realise this, as it is very evident.

lazygecko

This is actually very spot-on. The Latin American society still follows the hierarchical racial structure set by the European empires that ruled their land. Despite mixed (European and indigenous) mestizos being the absolute majority in most countries, there's a scary overrepresentation of white people in media (take a look at news reporters, telenovela main characters, etc.) and politics.

The thing is, race and class are pretty much intermixed in the Latin American society. White people there often hold the economic and political power and belong to the upper middle class and upper class. The more "European" you are, the better off you're regarded in society, and thus people of Amerindian descent (who are still at the very bottom of the hierarchical system) try to "convert" themselves into mestizo by adopting mestizo cultural values and sometimes rejecting their own indigenous culture. This was very clear to me when I lived in Bolivia; if a person lived in the countryside, dressed traditionally and followed certain cultural customs, they were considered indigenous, but if that same person (or their children), moved into a urban area, adopted mestizo cultural trends (which almost always means adopting Western-based cultural elements: music, movies, fashion etc.) and spoke Spanish exclusively, they would be considered mestizo, thus climbing up in the racial-class social system. Interestingly, as a result of having more indigenous people claiming to be mestizo, more mestizo (particularly those who are light-skinned) started claiming to be white/European, also in order to climb up and disassociate themselves of those of lower classes. That's why in countries like Bolivia, while there are actual European populations living there, many people who self-declare as white would not pass as such in other countries (particularly Europe or North America).

You only need to see Latin American media to realise this, as it is very evident.

I also read that facial and body hair are treated as status symbol because they are genetic traits more exclusive to European settlers.

G.ZZZ

Now that I think of it, it's the exact same in Europe. All of the ones below are party leaders of far-right racist parties that have won significant power the last decade or so: All of the below are ultra-racist and it was after they became party leaders that they received more mainstream acceptance, despite saying what's bordering on neo-nazi speech. I guess maybe it's more acceptable to spout racist classist garbage when you're a blonde white woman.

France:

Denmark:

Norway:

I think the other counter-examples would be Germany's Frauke Petry and the UK's Diane James.

Italy's far right leader is a blondie too.

EDIT: that withstanding, denmark and norway are like 80% blonde, what do you expect?

llien

Blond shaming, seriously?

Don't be ridiculous:

bundeskanzlerin-angela-merkel-werden-von-den-deutschen-deutlich-mehr-positive-eigenschaften-zugeschrieben-als-der-afd-vorsitzenden-frauke-petry-.jpg

On the left, centrist Angela Merkel.
On the right, "alt right" if you want (AfD) Frauke Petry (I don't get meaning of "alt" in this case, they are ultra right to me, not "alt')

What should I conclude from it now? Is blonde Angela Merkel white sipremacist, and brunette Frauke Petry in for diversity?`

For Swedish and Norway politicians being blond, what else did you expect?

endsr37.png

Cocaloch

There may be some elements of the Aryan thing, but I feel like it's probably more related to traditional understandings of blond hair as a symbol in American culture. Traditionally it has been associated with Englishwomen, and contrasted with darker hair for the Irish, Scots, Welsh, and Danes. But Englishmen are traditionally associated with brown or relatively medium colors, contrasted with Black hair for the Welsh and Red hair for the Irish, Scots, and Danes.

I'd wager this has more to do with conservative notions of gender than racial purity. Anglo-American culture was never particularly fixated on the Aryan thing. White in the New World has always been a mix of ethnicities, that's why the term even came into use, and the British have always seen themselves as a mix of various peoples, see Defoe's "True-Born Englishman". Hell, for most of their history the Scots have thought of themselves as transplants from Synthia, by way of Ireland, Spain, and Egypt, and the English thought they were Trojan refugees.

For Swedish and Norway politicians being blond, what else did you expect?

endsr37.png

Exactly what I was thinking. The fox news thing is noticeable and something that should be remarked upon. Leaders of Political Parties often having Blond Hair in the region of the world with the highest rate of blond hair is interesting.

That being said I certainly agree that the alt-right does indeed seem to like the image of the Aryan woman, look at their fascination with Taylor Swift.

Fox is garbage, but it isn't alt right. It's normal old shitty racist dogwhistle right.

And I'm sure the right-wing's rebuttal to this would bring up figures such as Michelle Malkin and Stacey Dash not realizing that they're the exception rather than the rule.

In Malkin's case, she has to be extra vile to get noticed in the right-wing sphere.
Stacy played a clueless blonde for years though. Still playing one actually.

llien

Exactly what I was thinking. The fox news thing is noticeable and something that should be remarked upon..

I don't think whoever created that wall of blondes was honest (the fact that photoshop filters were applied clearly shows the intention)

Googling Fox News Hosts gives me a list of about two dozen individuals, a number of women in it not blonde:

Jeanine Pirro
MV5BMTUwNjExMjQxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzEzMDE0._V1_UY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Andrea Tantaros
andrea-tantaros-outnumbered.jpg

Harris Faulkner
harris-faulkner.jpg

Abby Huntsman
220px-Abby_Huntsman.jpeg

Arthel Neville
ArthelNeville_0-Edit.jpg

Uma Pemmaraju
uma-pemmaraju.jpg

BajiBoxer

Banned
This has been pretty obvious, but the author of the article puts it very well into words.

America has always idolized certain phenotypes over others. A blonde woman is like baseball and apple pie. That kind of classic Americana imagery is what Republicans always push to exhume and purport to represent.

Fox is just obsessed with the image to the point of where it's telling (and grotesque). Ultimately, for the network, I'm sure it's symptomatic of the money trail.

It's less an "obsession" and more a successful calculated hiring strategy enacted by Roger Ailes to get white conservative viewers for his propaganda network.

Cocaloch

I don't think whoever created that wall of blondes was honest (the fact that photoshop filters were applied clearly shows the intention)

Googling Fox News Hosts gives me a list of about two dozen individuals, a number of women in it not blonde:

I've noticed for years now that Fox has disproportionately many blonde women. They may have fudged that image, but I think it's pretty clearly a thing.

I think just looking at hosts might be misleading you here, though I don't know what to call them. Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but about 90% of the time that I see the a group of commentators on Fox there is a blonde woman.

It's because of Aryan idealization.
This is what I've always assumed too.

As a side note, it still astounds me how American news media on all sides is basically 'legs, legs, legs' when they have women on. Or is this just coincidental? Just seems a bit like a woman is only allowed to present the news in the States if she's young, pretty and wears dresses.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

Jeanine Pirro
MV5BMTUwNjExMjQxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzEzMDE0._V1_UY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Andrea Tantaros
andrea-tantaros-outnumbered.jpg

Harris Faulkner
harris-faulkner.jpg

Abby Huntsman
220px-Abby_Huntsman.jpeg

Arthel Neville
ArthelNeville_0-Edit.jpg

Uma Pemmaraju
uma-pemmaraju.jpg
Yea some of those "blondes" are actually red heads

Kinyou

It's because of Aryan idealization.
Wouldn't then the male fox news hosts sport blonde hair too?

There may be some elements of the Aryan thing, but I feel like it's probably more related to traditional understandings of blond hair as a symbol in American culture. Traditionally it has been associated with Englishwomen, and contrasted with darker hair for the Irish, Scots, Welsh, and Danes. But Englishmen are traditionally associated with brown or relatively medium colors, contrasted with Black hair for the Welsh and Red hair for the Irish, Scots, and Danes.

I'd wager this has more to do with conservative notions of gender than racial purity. Anglo-American culture was never particularly fixated on the Aryan thing. White in the New World has always been a mix of ethnicities, that's why the term even came into use, and the British have always seen themselves as a mix of various peoples, see Defoe's "True-Born Englishman". Hell, for most of their history the Scots have thought of themselves as transplants from Synthia, by way of Ireland, Spain, and Egypt, and the English thought they were Trojan refugees.

This makes more sense to me.

it's more of a Conservative obsession with the Trophy Wife being a Trophy Blonde .

Many Republican candidates had dark hair or white hair but had trophy blonde wives.

the reason why there are not as many males with blonde hair is because there are not as many men who bleach their hair

No stringy haired, blonde hair, blue eyed, pale skinned buttermilk complexion. Grafted, recessive,
depressive, ironing board backside straight up and straight down. No frills, no thrills, Miss six o'clock, subject to have the itch, mutanoid,
caucazoid, white cave bitch...

Top Bottom