• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prisoner (McKellan & Jesus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardon

I'm really liking it so far. It may not be as amazing as the original but it's doing something different and so far its good. Hopefully things don't fall apart towards the end.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The white balls are a call back to the original, but I don't recall if they were ever explained. They definitely were influence when it came to Lost's Smoke Monster, surely. They're basically a security system.

Yaweee

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The white balls are a call back to the original, but I don't recall if they were ever explained. They definitely were influence when it came to Lost's Smoke Monster, surely. They're basically a security system.

What? Explanations in the original?

Yaweee

There's also an extended prisoner parody in the episode "Joy of Sect", when Marge is escaping from the cult. Bubble follows her while the Prisoner theme plays.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hahah, I love this.

"Remember these?" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I only watched the first two episodes of the original series a looong time ago. So I don't know how it unfolded. I am enjoying this and I hope I can continue watching.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So what's up with the way the dialogue sounds in far away shots?
It sounds like it's been listened to through a survellience device.

And that preview earlier was like "omg whois watchin?"
Hmm, just got to the part about his job in New York..

Fatalah

Was looking forward to this, but didn't really like it at all. I don't know if I'm willing to sit through 4 more hours...

I did enjoy the Breaking Bad teaser commercials though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Aw man, just finished it.
Was great. So, sooo good.

Yeah, Breaking bad and that new Rubicon show are both gonna be great.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Jtwo said:
So what's up with the way the dialogue sounds in far away shots?
It sounds like it's been listened to through a survellience device.
I think that's the point, they're always watching/listening.

VALIS

Only saw the first episode since my girlfriend's DVR cut off the beginning of the 2nd and we decided not to watch it, but I really like what I've seen so far. McKellen is fantastic, it's very stylish and surreal yet in different ways than the original, and hints at providing thinking points on perception and the nature of reality that go beyond just the details of the plot. I like!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I think that's the point, they're always watching/listening.
Yeah, I was only like half way done with the show when I wrote that.
Of course like a half hour later they actually show 2 listening in.
At the time I was hoping for something a little more interesting.

EDIT:
I gotta admit, I have no idea what happened at the end.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not going to read this thread much to avoid spoilers of the original series, which I plan on watching some day, but this was pretty good. A little bit of weird editing/story progression, but generally good. Will definitely be watching next eps.

maharg

idspispopd
AlteredBeast said:
Not going to read this thread much to avoid spoilers of the original series, which I plan on watching some day, but this was pretty good. A little bit of weird editing/story progression, but generally good. Will definitely be watching next eps.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. "Spoiling" the original show would be quite difficult in any meaningful sense. And I mean it would literally be work to do so.

I love that the only food that seems to exist in The Village is in the form of wraps (the fridge, the restaurant). If I had to define hell, it might be quite a lot like that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Freyjadour said:
Blah, I didn't know they were airing it so quickly.

Anyone know when it will be available on Hulu?
Probably never. AMC doesn't put their shows on Hulu.

Well, at least they aren't playing trampoline-jumpy-boxing-wrestling in the AMC Prisoner... or a special art tournament where 6 is clearly making a boat to escape but no one notices. I kid, I kid, McGoohan Prisoner Uber Alles and all that.

Alphahawk

Meh Kinda slow moving if you ask me, I don't know I was tired as fuck last night so that probably didn't help. Still an intresting premise, I like how what was going on in the real world seemed as fucked up as what was going on, on the Island. (The job 6 resigned from def didn't seem normal) Will prob watch the rest to figure out what's going on.

One question though is this on every night or is Monday just the new time?

Sirpopopop said:
The reviews on metacritic were lackluster, but so far I'm digging this show.

Reviews for TV are about as useful as well...nothing. Most seem to be complaining about all the questions the show presents without giving answers for all of them. I guess I'm alone in finding that somewhat appealing. When I think on back on my favorite parts of LOST thus far, it wasn't the answers that I loved, it was the totally absorbing mystery of it all.

Yaweee

Alphahawk said:
Meh Kinda slow moving if you ask me, I don't know I was tired as fuck last night so that probably didn't help. Still an intresting premise, I like how what was going on in the real world seemed as fucked up as what was going on, on the Island. (The job 6 resigned from def didn't seem normal) Will prob watch the rest to figure out what's going on.

One question though is this on every night or is Monday just the new time?

It is a three night miniseries of six hours total, two hours on each Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. That's it-- done by Tuesday night.

Alphahawk

Yaweee said:
It is a three night miniseries of six hours total, two hours on each Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. That's it-- done by Tuesday night.

That sucks I thought it was gonna be an actual series. I really don't see how they can wrap the thing up in two episodes...bit whatever.

Hopefully their's an encore after each one I'm not sure I can make it home in time for the finale...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Holy crap, I loved these first two episodes. Much, much better than expected.

Cardon

So far this episode seems like it could've been an episode from the original series. Really has that vibe of the original show especially when it comes to the paranoia of things. The explanation that was given for #1 was also really interesting.

Cardon

gdt5016 said:
On a side note, any info about the ratings last night?

It seems to have done pretty good based on what The Hollywood Reporter posted.

AMC's remake of classic series "The Prisoner" trapped 2.2 million viewers (1.7 household rating) during its two-hour debut Sunday evening.

By comparison, last week's "Mad Men" finale pulled in 2.3 million viewers (1.8 household rating). Basically, while not a huge breakout, "The Prisoner" debut outperformed the "Mad Men" average and helped AMC maintain some original series audience consistency on an evening where broadcast competitors had some of their strongest numbers in weeks.

Also "The Prisoner" is currently topping the iTunes chart.

gdt

Holy cow, that was pretty graphic.

Says good things about the upcoming Walking Dead show.

CAN'T WAIT for Up In The Air.

Cardon

#2 is such a mean basterd. I love it. Though I'm a bit surprised he didn't pull a grenade out on the little girl.

gdt

maharg said:
Does it really matter? It's not like it can be cancelled.

A) It'd be great if something as kooky as this can do great.

B) AMC needs to keep their roll going.

Fusebox

Banned
All the previews I saw made me cringe, it looked terrible compared to the original but you guys seem to be liking it so I'm gonna have to check it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom