• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prisoner (McKellan & Jesus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the first two episodes yesterday. Was very pumped up given AMC's track record and the look of some of the promotional materials, but ultimately pretty let down.

The original may have had plenty of it's own flaws, but one thing it had in spades was a very distinct and original voice. It's something this version seems to lack. The differentiations thus far seem to err on the side of unsurprising, in both theme and plot. And the quality of the dialogue, the editing, the music (Beach Boys aside...), the acting - it's all nothing to really write home about.

That said I'm certainly interested enough in the core idea to keep watching to its conclusion. Hopefully it picks up a bit.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Finished hour one. Pretty god damn fantastic outside of the stuff with 2's wife, which didn't fit with the theme of the episode, and the escape from the tunnels, which just didn't make sense/didn't really have an ending at all.

Everything else was amazing tho. Loving the theme of hour 2 so far. Will return when this hour is up.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Finished hour one. Pretty god damn fantastic outside of the stuff with 2's wife, which didn't fit with the theme of the episode, and the escape from the tunnels, which just didn't make sense/didn't really have an ending at all.

Everything else was amazing tho. Loving the theme of hour 2 so far. Will return when this hour is up.

2's wife seems REALLY important. Black pill, and black holes to oblivion open up? No clue. And the tunnels had more to do with setting up 313's betrayal.

I definitely liked Eps. 3 and 4 more than 1 and 2, but it is a very different sort of show. I'll be interested to see the numbers for tonight.

SpeedingUptoStop

I've seen people call this remake too crazy and not crazy enough. This is striking the right chords with me. I'm falling more and more in love with this with each passing episode. It 90% of the time hits the notes of explaining enough and not explaining at all. The only slip ups have been the tunnels, the disappointing lack of anything worthwhile in the clinic, and what the fuck is going on with that grenade (and how 6 knows about it).

Everything else is just hitting me so well. I absolutely adore the way everything is framed and shot. The sets, clothing, all well and good. ian McKellan is just absolute aces. his son is even up to snuff for me. Caviezel is doing well too (just don't ask him to shout too loudly).

I seriously don't get how people are calling this bland. I'm just not on the same wavelength, at all. I found the old series bland. Not at first, but eventually I understood its formula and was just never surprised by it. This, though, continues to surprise me. It's language, its characters, they've totally got me. it's almost like it was designed to appeal to my tastes. It really is hard to resist. I'm greatly looking forward to the climax and I'm glad, on some level, that it's only 6 epsidoes, because if it were a full series, I'd be too taken in week after week to be even remotely critical of it.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I've seen people call this remake too crazy and not crazy enough. This is striking the right chords with me. I'm falling more and more in love with this with each passing episode. It 90% of the time hits the notes of explaining enough and not explaining at all. The only slip ups have been the tunnels, the disappointing lack of anything worthwhile in the clinic, and what the fuck is going on with that grenade (and how 6 knows about it).

Everything else is just hitting me so well. I absolutely adore the way everything is framed and shot. The sets, clothing, all well and good. ian McKellan is just absolute aces. his son is even up to snuff for me. Caviezel is doing well too (just don't ask him to shout too loudly).

I seriously don't get how people are calling this bland. I'm just not on the same wavelength, at all. I found the old series bland. Not at first, but eventually I understood its formula and was just never surprised by it. This, though, continues to surprise me. It's language, its characters, they've totally got me. it's almost like it was designed to appeal to my tastes. It really is hard to resist. I'm greatly looking forward to the climax and I'm glad, on some level, that it's only 6 epsidoes, because if it were a full series, I'd be too taken in week after week to be even remotely critical of it.

People complain that Mad Men is bland as well :p.

fistfulofmetal said:
I can't decide who was hotter. 4-15 or 313
4-15 easily. Girl was a freak in NY Land. Mmm.
She also cleans up nicely and looks like a real lady.

But 313 has that hot accent so I can see the appeal.

Alphahawk

So any theories on what the village is? I mean I assume the producer has actual answers unlike the original.

One thing I noticed tonight is if Number 2 is ts some kind of dictator and all the kids have like four digits that seem to hold some kind of pecking order. Theirfor I find it odd that the main character who just arived is number 6 when all his colleauges have three digit numbers. This idea is given some wait when
Lucy aka 415 reveals she was brought there for the sole purpose of being number 6's lover

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
fistfulofmetal said:
I can't decide who was hotter. 4-15 or 313

4-15 was better looking as Lucy in New York of course. But I love 313's pouty lips

Pouty? She has a freakishly droopy upper lip. Ruins her whole face.

Alphahawk said:
So any theories on what the village is? I mean I assume the producer has actual answers unlike the original.

One thing I noticed tonight is if Number 2 is ts some kind of dictator and all the kids have like four digits that seem to hold some kind of pecking order. Theirfor I find it odd that the main character who just arived is number 6 when all his colleauges have three digit numbers. This idea is given some wait when
Lucy aka 415 reveals she was brought there for the sole purpose of being number 6's lover

I don't know. The way the series is going I think it may deliver just as many answers as the original series. :lol Really enjoying it just the same though.

adg1034

Crossposting from the HD Movie thread, but DeepDiscount has the original series of The Prisoner (Blu-ray) on sale for $39.98, minus $5 if you use the coupon code N4V24RVDNH. The review of the set is here, and is by all accounts spectacular. Amazon has it listed for $50, so if you were at all interested in this before, don't pass it up now. Seriously.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
That guy slitting his own throat while staring at the camera is so creepy.

His name is Michael?

Yeah, I heard Michael too. Don't know if I like the idea of knowing his name. Off to a good start today.

God damn Palm Pre commercials!!! Hate you!!

SpeedingUptoStop

I'm clocking the series at an 8.5 so far. We'll see how it wraps up.

I think they're hinting that 2's wife is a clue as to what's happening to 6.

SpeedingUptoStop

DoctorWho said:
I see three 6's in your post!
murtaugh.jpg

Oh shit, look out! There's evil six!

There he is! -> 6

SpeedingUptoStop

I'm not mistaken, am I? When 2x6 had pinned down 6 in that room, the camera panned out and showed that he wasn't really there, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom